Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just a little over a month to go. I can't wait. I was certain it would be delayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm with Marc on this, not HL3 and I keep expecting something about HL3 on this thread, Alyx thread is thatta way: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111810547

Nah, forums half dead anyway

Why take it away from the thread that gets more traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Oh look, the very first VR game! Not a tech demo or a two hour 'experience'.

• Advertisement

I'm thanking this but I actually don't want to watch....

The Hype is real. Hard to believe a new HL game is coming out in a couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looks fantastic. Video two highlights the smooth locomotion and I am very much liking what I see. Feels surreal that the release is this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched the first video and found the movement with the teleportation strange. Second video seems to have her move normally, then the third is teleportation again?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Watched the first video and found the movement with the teleportation strange. Second video seems to have her move normally, then the third is teleportation again?

I thought the same. Wouldn't like it at all if movement was like the first video.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Falthyron wrote: »
    Oh look, the very first VR game! Not a tech demo or a two hour 'experience'.

Wow someone is still stuck in 2018 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    I thought the same. Wouldn't like it at all if movement was like the first video.

Yeah second video for me. Normal video game character movement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's great that you have the choice of movement. Normal movement is the ideal choice, but it makes a lot of people feel quite sick in VR.

Game looks amazing. No VR at the moment, but will have to pick one up at some stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It makes complete narrative sense, but a Half Life game with 'your' character chatting as you play feels weird :D

I don't have VR, nor ever likely to have one, but feeling a little envious that having waited this long for a new Half Life game, I won't be able to play it at all. It's going to be the first release I might actually Let's Play properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

pixelburp wrote: »
    It makes complete narrative sense, but a Half Life game with 'your' character chatting as you play feels weird :D

I don't have VR, nor ever likely to have one, but feeling a little envious that having waited this long for a new Half Life game, I won't be able to play it at all. It's going to be the first release I might actually Let's Play properly.
    I'm in the same boat but I watch let's play videos all day at work when the machines are down sometimes but it's impossible to watch any VR Let's Play for me, physically hurts the eyes :(

Absolutely
    So roughly 2k to play this game right? :pac: (that's if you need a new pc, which I do)

So roughly 2k to play this game right? :pac: (that's if you need a new pc, which I do)

Not really!

400 for a Rift S
    600-800 for a Ryzen 5 / Rx 5700xt combo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely
    Suppose it depends on if you already have some sort of PC. If you don't need kb/m and monitor, 1-1.2K would get you by pretty well for a PC plus Rift and be able to enjoy the game at decent/excellent visual quality respectively.

Lads, it's still costing about €1200 to play a game. Cop on a bit! I've no doubt Valve know what they're doing, and I've no doubt HLA will bring about big changes or improvements to the world of VR, but it's still way, way too expensive to prepare for this, unless you already have the equipment, and from what I've been reading, those with the equipment will still need to upgrade somewhat to get the best version of HLA.

I'm annoyed I won't get to play it, save a lotto win, but at the same time I'm not bothered at this stage. I don't think it will go like Duke Nukem Forever and tank, but bringing out a VR only game as the next in a fantastic series is a kick to the teeth of long time fans eagerly awaiting the next installment. And it's not even the next installment. I've flipped on this. I was excited to maybe get to play this at some stage, but now I'm annoyed. It's not a case of a few hundred for a new console, or new VR headset, it's everything together is just too prohibitive for the vast majority.

Also, it's not HL3, so I think it should also have a separate tread...

buying a VR rig for one game is crazy yes, but you buy the setup to move into a new iteration of gaming. It's the most fun I've had in 30 years of games and worth the investment

• Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

mrcheez wrote: »
    buying a VR rig for one game is crazy yes, but you buy the setup to move into a new iteration of gaming. It's the most fun I've had in 30 years of games and worth the investment

My son bought the full index setup when it launched. You can't get one for love of money at the moment and they selling for lot more than he paid for it on ebay ATM. He could play Alyx and then flog the index and it would be as if he had been paid to play it.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »

I do agree, but I still think to even get to the minimum required to enjoy the game (not the min spec), it's still prohibitively expensive for most. Enough to put people who may have been on the fence off. I think Valve will have the tech know how, but the consumer base won't be there to support it.

I do believe that it's the next level of gaming, but Valve's timing seems off. It'll no doubt increase some sales of VR though.

Absolutely
    I know what are the chances but I am holding out for a PS5 version. Sony seem to be supporting VR and if Valve are willing to let non-indexs work with it. I see it as a chance we'll get a port. Even if it's a year and a half / this time in 2022.

I do want to play this game. I just don't think I can justify anywhere from around the 1k mark (to 2k mark for higher end) at the moment.

Just a general thought on VR:

In fairness VR has come down in price, I would say it's now placed somewhere in the middle of hardcore enthusiast to regular gamer.

It's cost factor has reduced a bit too and I imagine will come down further.

Valve have given it mass appeal in the space of a couple of months.
    VR hardware in general has taken a serious boost in sales and finally we are starting to see actual AA - AAA experiences coming to the platform as bigger devs are starting to take it seriously.

Another absolute Gem at the moment that I'm engrossed in is Walking Dead - Saints & Sinners (HLVR is not the only reason to get into it)
    It truly is an next level experience and with HLVR coming out this month VR looks to finally be taking that much needed leap into the mainstream and losing some of the gimmicky stereotypes it seems to have garnered.

Here is an ACG review of WD:S&S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I know what are the chances but I am holding out for a PS5 version. Sony seem to be supporting VR and if Valve are willing to let non-indexs work with it. I see it as a chance we'll get a port. Even if it's a year and a half / this time in 2022.

I do want to play this game. I just don't think I can justify anywhere from around the 1k mark (to 2k mark for higher end) at the moment.

I can’t see this ending up on other platforms. I’m willing to bet this whole project is about maintaining Steam’s market position. Hence their attitude to the hardware, which bring in very little money for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My gaming "PC" is a laptop, so no way I'd be playing VR on that; and there's just not enough space in the house to play VR anyway so certainly for me it's a bit of a non-starter. €2000 is a lot to drop down for a game, HL or not. Time will tell how that gamble pays off - and I'm reading that Corona has meant Chinese industry has ground to a halt, causing a huge supply chain disruption. Not sure if that's harming sales of Valve's device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely
    Lads, it's still costing about €1200 to play a game. Cop on a bit!

Not really. How many gamers who don't have a PC or monitor and will suddenly be rushing out to buy a full setup inc a VR headset?

The vast majority of people who buy the game will already have a PC, so it's more of a €400 admission fee to VR.

Which is about so much more than just one game. So the whole "1200 to play one game" is not really much of an argument.

Will some people rush out and pay solely to play this game? Yes. Just like some people rushed out and bought PS4 Pro's solely to play Spiderman or RDR or whatever.

But overall, most people who buy it will at least already own a decent PC.

Most people interested might own a good PC, but there's more to VR than good hardware. It's more than just one game yes, but it's also a commitment to a very particular and different style of media experience. It requires more space, cables and more ... well, patience from any partner or housemate to basically indulge in a more anti-social, space restricting hobby. I'm still not convinced this tech is even remotely compatible with parents of babies to small toddlers. Or even pets :D

My gaming "PC" is a laptop, so no way I'd be playing VR on that; and there's just not enough space in the house to play VR anyway so certainly for me it's a bit of a non-starter. €2000 is a lot to drop down for a game, HL or not. Time will tell how that gamble pays off - and I'm reading that Corona has meant Chinese industry has ground to a halt, causing a huge supply chain disruption. Not sure if that's harming sales of Valve's device.

My VR rig is a laptop... you just need to ensure it has a GTX1060 card at minimum.

I have a GTX1070 on mine and experience no slowdown with the most demanding games.

I'd say the price of VR-supporting platforms will drop in 2020 and the overall cost to entry will drop as it gains popularity.

• Advertisement

€2000 is a lot to drop down for a game

Rift S = €449
    GTX 1060 = ~€388

Where is the €2000 coming from?

If you have a powerful PC then it's €449 to play the game.

Advertisement