Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

So he does say that the movies are coming - could also be the new IP...or he could be saying "yep, there is a chance" no matter how slim that chance might be.

Confirms that they're working on single player games, but that most likely points to VR tie-ins.

What we really learned is that he knows Steam Support sucks.

🤪

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    What we really learned is that he knows Steam Support sucks.

He's talked about steam support being crap before and there have been no real improvements made to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

He's talked about steam support being crap before and there have been no real improvements made to it.

What I learned is that he knows that Steam Support sucks :D

Would have liked him to go into more detail about the regrets he has about the Half-Life series (not all that much of a surprise that Xen was singled out).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I thought the whole thing was pretty damn underwhelming honestly.

I wasn't exactly expecting much, but it was just an obvious fan boy circle jerk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

So the writer of Half Life 2 Mark Laidlaw just posted a summary of the Half Life 2 Episode 3 script, with names gender bended to avoid legal issues. Given the NDA has expired, this is legit. The site www.marklaidlaw.com/epistle-3 is taking a hammering, so someone put it up on Pastebin:

https://pastebin.com/q9DMFa7c

I'd say this is as good as confirmation that Half Life 3 is never happening. I guess Valve will have to make do with DOTA 2 and CS:GO...

So the writer of Half Life 2 Mark Laidlaw just posted a summary of the Half Life 3 script, with names gender bended to avoid legal issues. The site is taking a hammering, so someone put it up on Pastebin:

https://pastebin.com/q9DMFa7c

I'd say this is as good as confirmation that Half Life 3 is never happening. I guess Valve will have to make do with DOTA 2 and CS:GO...

The github link above replaces the fake names with real ones.

Sounds like it would have been a cool finale! At this point I'd be happy with a comic or animated conclusion (like the Castlevania series on Netflix).

I want to read it, but at the same time I don't :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly, if that's real, it sounds like the ending might have caused a minor Mass Effect 3 style frustration; intentionally narratively ambiguous and tenuous. Would have annoyed me no end to have gone through all that story only to get a bit of an ellipsis by way of an bookend

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Honestly, if that's real, it sounds like the ending might have caused a minor Mass Effect 3 style frustration; intentionally narratively ambiguous and tenuous. Would have annoyed me no end to have gone through all that story only to get a bit of an ellipsis by way of an bookend

It's posed up on Marc Laidlaw's site so it is real.

Anyway every Half Life arc ends like this so I'd think the onus would be on the player if the felt frustrated.

It's interesting to me now as it completely restages Alyx's position in the resistance effort. Was she an unwitting accomplice to G-Man or what's the story?

Instead we get the damp squib of Episode 2's lame cliffhanger for ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Seems like it would have been a great game. As for the ending, it's impossible to give people an ending that they would be satisfied with. An open ended ending like the one in the link is all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Interesting theory on certain parts of what he published

th646zotyak32idgwkj2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The dream is finally over. It's sad, but also kinda cathartic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Think I'm gonna stop giving Valve my money for awhile. I really couldn't care less about Dota2 and this whole new direction they're taking just irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I would bet any money this will inspire a team somewhere to build it in Source like they did with Half Life Source.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

:(

It's almost like Valve don't want/like money :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Valve make so much cash off DOTA/Steam/Counter Strike/Team Fortress 2 now that a single player game like half life is practically irrelevant to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Valve are a monetizing machine at this stage, they've realized that the maximum playtime to profit ratio means ditching stuff like story lines.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Any chance we could rename this thread now? Something that doesn't get my hopes up every time I see a new post would be much preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Still sucks though.

:(

Me wants HL3 :(

Lets overreact and burn down Valve HQ

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have only ever played the first half life game, absolutely loved it, played it first in 2000, I'll remember being blown away by the opening and thinking how cool it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I built a new machine in anticipation of HL2 coming out but some jackass delayed the game for a year because he stole the code
    at least he got pwned when he thought he was getting a job at Valve and they busted his ass when he got to the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Have only ever played the first half life game, absolutely loved it, played it first in 2000, I'll remember being blown away by the opening and thinking how cool it was.

I originally bought Rainbow Six It did not work on my Pc, some error. Brought it back, got a game I didn't know much about 'Half Life'.

Loved it. Amazing fun, even if it had loading times during levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Absolutely
    [F]

RIP the dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Sad it had to end like this. But at least we get some closure.

Skerries wrote: »
    I built a new machine in anticipation of HL2 coming out but some jackass delayed the game for a year because he stole the code
    at least he got pwned when he thought he was getting a job at Valve and they busted his ass when he got to the US

he didn't delay the game. the game was 12 months behind schedule, only valve hadn't admitted it at that point. and he got 2 years probation in Germany - was not arrested in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So...you still have all of Half Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2 to look forward to? Dude, get on that right now. You're so lucky.

Advertisement