Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It would be wonderful if they retroactively labelled the two episodes as Half-Life 3 and announced Half-Life 4 instead.

The episodes were essentially Half Life 3 but instead of holing themselves away for the better part of a decade working on a game they decided to release it quicker in an episodic format. Worked out well so far.

Also, the Half Life 3 is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Absolutely
    Sergiy Migdalskiy, an engineer at Valve, is holding a GDC presentation on physics optimization strategies for game programmers today at 3pm. There is no press conference, nor are we expecting any surprise Half-Life 3 announcements there. To quote the presentation: "Topics include numerical integration, contact manifolds, destruction, solvers, networking, and optimization."

http://kotaku.com/no-valve-isnt-holding-a-press-conference-today-1689141979

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

unless its "Half Life Kart Racing".

I'll pick the Headcrab Supreme, it has great acceleration but a poor top speed....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of lies, I'm just watching a theory vid about how the companion cube actually holds the bodies of Aperture Science staff and previous test subjects who may or may not be alive. Very interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The last game I played on a PC (never got in to consoles) was HL2. That was 10 years ago - back when I was a little gaming nerd. HL3 would make me break the barren run and buy a top of the line PC just so I could play this when it came out in all it's glory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

dreamers75 wrote: »

Just read that, and was about to post the link.

One word:

B*asterds!!!!!

GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭eastyy

think the only way valve will make half life 3 is if everyone in the entire world did not use steam until half life 3 is confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31692995
    HTC's chairwoman has told the BBC she "hopes" a Half-life video game will be one of the titles released for her company's virtual-reality headset.

Cher Wang was speaking a day after HTC revealed it was working with games publisher Valve to put its VR helmet on sale before the end of the year.

Half-life is perhaps Valve's most famous and best-loved franchise.

However, the BBC understands that Valve is not planning to make an announcement about the game at this time.

There have been unconfirmed rumours for years that the US company has been working on a fresh instalment.

Ms Wang said HTC was "co-operating with Half-life", but she would not be drawn on whether that meant a new game - potentially Half-life 3 - or a virtual-reality remake of one of the series' existing titles. Valve distributed a test "beta" version of Half-life 2 to developers working on Facebook's Oculus Rift VR helmet back in 2013 - and it could be this that the executive was referring to.

But the BBC understands that Valve's own employees were surprised by Ms Wang's comments as they were not working on a Half-life game for the new helmet at the moment.

Even so, one expert suggested that in time the game could make a useful addition to the virtual reality kit's library.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31713715
    Ms Wang has since provided further clarification.

"Regarding my BBC interview with Dave Lee yesterday, I would like to apologise for any confusion caused when I referred to individual games titles," she said.

"In response to a question on specific games, I misspoke when I referred to our working together with Valve on a particular game, when instead I meant our collaboration with Valve on developing next-generation virtual reality experiences for gaming.

"I am very excited about the work we are doing with Valve, and look forward to bringing our HTC Vive to market later this year."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Rezident

Oh my goodness, please say it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

So... The Steam box is coming in November, you know what were also released in Novembers past? Half Life 1 and Half Life 2.

Half Life 3 Confirmed as a Steambox exclusive launch title!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Tehre's no such thing as a Steambox exclusive - it's a Linux PC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This thread is pure click bait poison.
    If there has been a hiatus in activity here a new post, of idle speculation or reprinting idle speculation, should be met with a ban, a slap and something unpleasant said about the posters sister, mother and possibly a goat in a hotel room with a pound of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This thread is pure click bait poison.
    If there has been a hiatus in activity here a new post, of idle speculation or reprinting idle speculation, should be met with a ban, a slap and something unpleasant said about the posters sister, mother and possibly a goat in a hotel room with a pound of butter.

NO!

We are crack addicts gobbling up everything we can get our hands on because we can't find real crack. Vaporub, cough syrup, panadol, I'll take anything I can get until Valve finally give me that sweet sweet release.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Zillah wrote: »
    NO!

We are crack addicts gobbling up everything we can get our hands on because we can't find real crack. Vaporub, cough syrup, panadol, I'll take anything I can get until Valve finally give me that sweet sweet release.

funny_picdump_62_640_11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Half Life 3 announced for a summer release, is what I would like to see in the gaming headlines. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I've figured it out!!!
    "Given how important user generated content is becoming, Source 2 is designed not for just the professional developer, but enabling gamers themselves to participate in the creation and development of their favourite games. We will be making Source 2 available for free to content developers."

Valve know they can never live up to expectations so they're giving us the tools to make it ourselves! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ricochet 2 confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ah ffs lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Well we got a source 2 confirmation (and free for developers). Surely they'll need to show off their engine soon with a new game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

Gabe makes me very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Mr.Buzz wrote: »
    Gabe makes me very sad.

Howsabout some banging choons?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This thread is why we need an "ignore thread" option on Boards :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just bumping this considering the day it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Aw ffs, from the forum mod of all people :mad::p

Retr0gamer wrote: »

For shame Retr0,
    FOR SHAAAAMMMEEEE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Guys,... you shouldn't joke about that sort of stuff. :pac:

tumblr_mkkvojRyPT1rwnp75o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mkkvojRyPT1rwnp75o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mkkvojRyPT1rwnp75o3_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/50638/half-life-3-teased-steamvr-performance-tool-files/index.html
    Here we go again... Half-Life 3 is being teased by Valve, with the game showing up in their new SteamVR Performance Tool that was released just a couple of days ago. Half-Life 3 is referenced multiple times, as you can see below:

c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\shared\hl3\hl3_vscriptgamesystem.cpp.......VScr iptServerHL3
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\npc_quest_citizen.cpp...CNPC_QuestCi tizen::DisplayDialogString..m_DialogStringDisplayD ropShadow
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\partial_entity_manager.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_constraint.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\utllogicconstraintsolver.h
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_manager.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\entity_persist.h
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_target.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_template.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procedural_spawn_volume.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procspawn_bias_line.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procspawn_modifier.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\procspawn_variable.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\shared\hl3\imposter_manager.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\npc_turret_ceiling_pulse.cpp
    particles/vortigaunt_fx/vortigaunt_charge_token.vpcf
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\point_quest_goal.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\prop_fixed.cpp
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\server\hl3\gravity_vortex_controller.h
    #HL3_SpyGrenadeHint1
    #HL3_SpyGrenadeHint2
    c:\buildslave\vrgdc2015_staging_win64\build\src\ga me\shared\hl3\hl3_vscriptgamesystem.cpp

Don't get excited. Every time Valve release a new product in Source there's always files there relating to HL3. Nothing has come of it yet. I'll get excited when there's something concrete from Valve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

rvpgm.jpg

Advertisement