Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah its just a joke relax would ya

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

People analysed the planet images from the living room web page and HL3 was shown underneath
    http://i.imgur.com/BYNy9F8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 82,262 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BeerWolf wrote: »
    ^ How are people still fooled by Phishing sites at this day and age ? There's so many methods out there to tell you as such! :o

MadYaker - suggest you change your password ASAP.
    If it were actually a phising site my computer would have clammed up tighter than a ducks bum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

People analysed the planet images from the living room web page and HL3 was shown underneath
    http://i.imgur.com/BYNy9F8.gif

More undeniable proof:
    original.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Nollog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,262 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

YES! I would pay double that no I wouldnt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Xbox One Exclusive! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

I'm now at the stage where I'm totally indifferent to Gordon Freeman's story. Sorry Valve, but I've moved on.
    Never!

Though my pc is so old the hard drive would be going 90. Probably explode trying to play it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Black Mesa is really really good.

Get it! It's free!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I am surprised it wasn't trademarked long before now!

I am surprised it wasn't trademarked long before now!
    Yeah, could just be valve making sure nobody else copyrights the name for some legal reason or other..

bet ye valve wont say anything for weeks or even months about it, then play it down as usual.

Yeah, could just be valve making sure nobody else copyrights the name for some legal reason or other..

bet ye valve wont say anything for weeks or even months about it, then play it down as usual.

What stopped them from doing that before now?

How long does the copyright last for if you just sit there doing nothing?

indefinitely i think?

indefinitely i think?

Then what's to stop people just trolling with copyright?

For example, why didn't EA copyright Half Life 3 to sabotage valve?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Gbear wrote: »
    Then what's to stop people just trolling with copyright?

For example, why didn't EA copyright Half Life 3 to sabotage valve?

Because trademark trolling is so easy in theory, in most jurisdictions you'd have to make a very strong case that you have a legitimate business interest in the trademark before it would ever be granted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Because they'd waste time and money and not get it.

Also it was me applying for the patent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

FWIW a Trademark is very different to either Copyright or a Patent.

A trademark is about protecting a brand (generally a product or company name, but it often includes associated images/logos etc). It gives the owner rights over the brand being protected, and in particular it allows the owner to control how others use that brand (with obvious exceptions for fair use such as reviews and random internet speculation).

Of particular interest to us is that "Half-Life" is already trademarked, so there's already a reasonable amount of protection applied "Half-Life 3". Nobody else could have made a Half-Life 3 game, or used the name Half-Life 3 to sell gaming related materials, because that would cause obvious confusion with the existing protected Half-Life brand.

The only reason I can think of that Valve would need to trademark Half-Life 3 now is if they are now about to start sharing that name with others. Whether that's to the public, or to gaming magazines, or maybe more likely merchandise manufacturers. If they are planning to have Half-Life 3 related merchandise (toys, strategy guide books etc) for example, they would need to trademark the name so that they could then license it to those organisations to use.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hey, its the first actual Half Life 3 (potential) news we've had in years, so i'm happy with it...for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I just assumed that they had filed because they got wind of someone else trying to do it. I didn't jump to the conclusion of HL3. Oh how I miss those days of hope and optimism. This thread has killed it off for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

After Valve took on DOTA and then had a legal battle with Blizzard over it, I'd say they're covering all their bases and making sure no one does the same to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,695 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I have a feeling that when Source 2 is announced we'll get an announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

sheehy83 wrote: »

I dont get why valve don't give their projects code names at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,695 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bambi wrote: »
    I dont get why valve don't give their projects code names at this stage.

Maybe Half Life 3 is a codename for a different project altogether.

it%60s+from+an+interview+about+his+knife+collection+and+it+_a658be9dc3eee5c37b5c7b424a0f88f3.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

<cold-water>
    All that leak can confirm is that on JIRA there's a group called HalfLife3, and it has users assigned to said group. Without seeing the tickets that might exist within, there's no way of knowing for sure if anyone's even working on HL3, it could be a dead group for all we know - I'm a member of 2/3 groups in my company's JIRA equivalent that are effectively mothballed atm.
    </cold-water>

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Maybe Half Life 3 is a codename for a different project altogether.

What+if+this+guy+really+thought+of+this+on+his+_7b3a534410c1bf1bf716b17bf76496c7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I can't believe it's been six years since Episode 2, and nine years since Half-Life 2, and we're only starting to see evidence that 3 is actually in development. I find it so bizarre they've let it go on this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Absolutely
    Zillah wrote: »
    I can't believe it's been six years since Episode 2, and nine years since Half-Life 2, and we're only starting to see evidence that 3 is actually in development. I find it so bizarre they've let it go on this long.

What's strange about it?

There was a 12 year gap between StarCraft 1 and Starcraft 2, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If people would just stop hyping it to the point where nothing Valve releases could possibly match expectations, I think they might bother their arses. I don't expect to see HL3 a moment before that happens. Gamers are their own worst enemy.

Advertisement