Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson: Shoot the strikers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Alessandra wrote: »
    Exactly what you could expect from the likes of Clarkson who is very much out of touch with what the average PS worker in the UK earns.

He neednt worry about a pension when he is a journalist and presenter. He strikes me as the Pat Kenny of broadcasting in the BBC. Happy to cream in the big money for feck all work. Ready to vilify average Joe.

I'm not daft and realise he must have been stirring it but what he has said must have had an element of conviction.

Pat Kenny has done a morning radio show for decades and television work on top of that.

I'd wager that he works harder than most people on this board.

but hey, it's cool to hate on Pat Kenny, so off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Goose81

ascanbe wrote: »
    The financial quagmire we are currently in, the fact that we cannot borrow from the markets and have been rail-roaded into this so-called 'bail-out', has everything to the with the 'bank-guarantee' and, by extension, bankers.

Correct in part but there seems to be a presumption by the man on the street that had it not been for these bankers we wouldn't have any cuts. The whole of the western world is cleaning up their book and that includes us. This pain would have to be endured regardless.

John the lender wont lend Linda 100 quid if she earns 5 grand a year and spends 10 and then proceeds to make no reduction in her household budget. Why would he?
    Chances are he wont get his money back, the bond market is no different, if anything they force the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭amacca

Biggins wrote: »
    Which probably was his partial objective.
    Has he got a book or video, etc, coming out for Christmas?
    (Genuinely don't know myself)

don't know myself...presume he does and presume its overpriced and something to do with depressingly expensive cars or taking the piss out of ze germans or something.

If that was my business plan I'd by trying to coin it every Christmas I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Pat Kenny has done a morning radio show for decades and television work on top of that.

I'd wager that he works harder than most people on this board.

but hey, it's cool to hate on Pat Kenny, so off you go.

I'll not dispute his work ethic, I do however take exception to your perception that I am disliking someone as it's popular to do so. Kenny has frequently made his stance on PS workers, and I am ad odds with these opinions.

I do acknowledge that Kenny is of a superior stature in terms of length of service and quality of broadcasting to some degree.
    My analogy was merely that as I believe a certain comparison may be drawn

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Latchy wrote: »
    He's got a dvd out to so it all makes sense .
    jeremy clarkson is always spouting something or other that kicks up a fuss,probably just a coincidence about having a book out,not remember another huge contreversial comment he and the others on top gear made this year? it made him public enemy number one in mexico.

he is like a troll IRL,it gets him a big reaction and its all part of his public image.
    anyone who watches top gear will know he isnt the serious type,he took the p out of southern americans in one special episode of top gear when they were all cruising down there,he deliberately had the team write messages on the sides of their cars which the southerners may find offensive and as a result they had rocks thrown at them, were threatened...typical clarkson,same as when he takes the p out of caravan drivers/towers and he got a load of BS off them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

I'll not dispute his work ethic, I do however take exception to your perception that I am disliking someone as it's popular to do so. Kenny has frequently made his stance on PS workers, and I am ad odds with these opinions.

I do acknowledge that Kenny is of a superior stature in terms of length of service and quality of broadcasting to some degree.
    My analogy was merely that as I believe a certain comparison may be drawn

lets be frank - you're analogy was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Jazzzman wrote: »
    what's that pal?
    I'm not your pal, friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Domo230 wrote: »
    Clarksonis a legend

''With his outrageously politically incorrect opinions which he has every week to a deadline in the Sunday Times''
    Stewart Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

tony007 wrote: »
    ''With his outrageously politically incorrect opinions which he has every week to a deadline in the Sunday Times''
    Stewart Lee

:pac:

longer version : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Fuck me.

Talk about namby pamby politically correct horse shit.

Anyone who was offended by that comment is a fucking retard.

• Advertisement

Fuck me.

Talk about namby pamby politically correct horse shit.

Anyone who was offended by that comment is a fucking retard.
    can't see you getting fuucked with that attitude....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Just to remind people: It was a joke. He wasn't serious. If you think he was over the top, never ever watch Mock the Week. You might explode after hearing Frankie Boyle.
    Exactly what you could expect from the likes of Clarkson who is very much out of touch with what the average PS worker in the UK earns.

He neednt worry about a pension when he is a journalist and presenter. He strikes me as the Pat Kenny of broadcasting in the BBC. Happy to cream in the big money for feck all work. Ready to vilify average Joe.

I'm not daft and realise he must have been stirring it but what he has said must have had an element of conviction.

From Wiki top gear page:
    "The programme is estimated to have around 350 million viewers per week in 170 different countries."
    I reckon he's entitled to his big money then! Probably the most watched show the bbc have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

He's a fucking idiot. Can't stand the bloke.

“I mean how dare they go on strike when they’ve got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living.”

They're not guaranteed at all. They're being completed fucked with. Those in the public sector contribute to their own pensions - they should be self financing. The government won't reveal where this extra money is really going (to pay off to deficit - not caused by public sector workers). The whole thing's a joke, full of propaganda and Sun reading morons lapping up every word.

YEAAAAAAAH SHOOT THEM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

At 7pm approx when some families are just settling down with their kids in front of the telly, I just feel he could have chosen a later time. Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

ah cmno all...this world is becoming so PC
    of course he did not mean what he said literally....
    we need to cop on and stop being so serious about every remark

SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Apropos of nothing.

One day , one day .....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vadge

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Just to remind people: It was a joke. He wasn't serious. If you think he was over the top, never ever watch Mock the Week. You might explode after hearing Frankie Boyle.

Jokes are usually funny. Frankie Boyle is another asinine tosser. They aren't 'cutting edge'. They're just arseholes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

fatalll wrote: »
    ah cmno all...this world is becoming so PC
    of course he did not mean what he said literally....
    we need to cop on and stop being so serious about every remark

to be fair, this was a very insulting comment and can be viewed as incitement to hatred. it really cant be brushed under the carpet with a bit of "blah blah blah...PC brigade!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Too many people can't tell the difference between Clarkson the private individual and Clarkson the public persona. That goes from some people who are sensitive reactionaries who took what he said out of context (though its crudeness didn't do him any favours) to those gob****es who think he should be British PM or the Uber-Alpha male to look up to who think everything he says and does are to be taken literally. He doesn't tend to take himself too seriously, unfortunately there are too many out there that do.

The irony is that most of those that are now saying "Yah, Clarkson is right, down with PC madness!..." would have three years ago wanted Russel Brand and Jonathan Ross burnt at the stake and sent in complaints without even listening to what they were complaining about, and if they did it wasn't straight after the original broadcast. Not to mention getting outraged about Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

poor Clarkson. Dam right i agree. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

gives me something to think and moan about.. apart from the strikes

Vadge wrote: »
    Jokes are usually funny. Frankie Boyle is another asinine tosser. They aren't 'cutting edge'. They're just arseholes

Frankie Boyle was the star of "Mock the Week" & walked away from the show as soon as the PC bullshit brigade started to censor him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Frankie Boyle was the star of "Mock the Week" & walked away from the show as soon as the PC bullshit brigade started to censor him.
    I always found Frankie Boyle to be at his best when he was just being witty, not trying to be offensive like all of his later stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

brummytom wrote: »
    I always found Frankie Boyle to be at his best when he was just being witty, not trying to be offensive like all of his later stuff.

Jimmy Carr the same, a sign they are running out of original anti pc stuff and reading the Daily Mail too much.

That 7 show is a waste of time though. Wogan used to do a pretty decent show 25 years ago in that slot!

As for Clarkson, he's a moron, sure there's a reason he's a butt of the jokes in Top Gear, so if you find yourself agreeing with him a lot of the time................................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

brummytom wrote: »

I've only watched the show on Dave.

I probably won't see his later stuff until 2026.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

...ironically brought about thanks to Manuelgate and the Mail On Sunday looking to try and stamp their moral authority on the BBC's output, and which even more ironically when they got what they were after seen its sister daily paper try to get at Frankie Boyle for a joke on MTW about Queen Elizabeth's vagina being occupied by ghosts shown on a repeat episode that was first broadcast two years previously!

If you find that there is less edginess in the BBC's comedy output these days, you can thank those puritan joyless f*ckers. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Vadge wrote: »

Comedy is subjective. I don't think Stewart Lee is funny for instance. But this thread isn't about if someone is funny or not, its if its offensive or not.
    There's people saying his comments encourage gun crime ffs!

Advertisement