Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson: Shoot the strikers

Options
  • 01-12-2011 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

Hilarious that some people are up in arms about this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2011/12/01/jeremy-clarkson-apologises-for-shoot-the-strikers-comments-115875-23603198/
    Jeremy Clarkson has apologised for saying that striking public sector workers should be shot in front of their families.

The Top Gear host - who made his comments during BBC1's The One Show last night - said he did not intend the remarks to be taken seriously.

Clarkson said today: "I didn't for a moment intend these remarks to be taken seriously - as I believe is clear if they're seen in context.

"If the BBC and I have caused any offence, I'm quite happy to apologise for it alongside them."

The BBC said: "The One Show is a live topical programme which often reflects the day's talking points.

"Usually we get it right, but on this occasion we feel the item wasn't perfectly judged. The BBC and Jeremy would like to apologise for any offence caused."

Clarkson's apology came after UNISON called for him to be sacked and announced they were taking legal advice as to whether or not his comments should be referred to the police.

The BBC has received 4,769 complaints over his comments.

Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear co-star James May flew to China from Heathrow today (Pics:Xposure)

Labour leader Ed Miliband branded them "absolutely disgraceful and disgusting".

Mr Miliband said: "Jeremy Clarkson should apologise for those comments. He obviously does not understand the lives of the people who were going out on strike yesterday."

His comments came after Prime Minister David Cameron admitted that his close friend Clarkson was “silly” to say strikers should be executed “in front of their families” but defended the star by saying he "didn't mean it".

The 51-year-old presenter caused outrage when he said in the live TV interview: “I’d have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.

“I mean how dare they go on strike when they’ve got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living.”

Jeremy Clarkson on the One Show

The BBC was immediately forced to issue an apology as the outspoken star’s comments prompted a widespread backlash.

A spokeman said: "The One Show apologised at the end of the show to viewers who may have been offended by Jeremy Clarkson's comments."

But today, the PM defended his friend during an appearance on This Morning, claiming he “didn’t mean that”.

Mr Cameron said: "It was obviously a silly thing to say and I am sure he didn't mean that.

"I didn't see the remark but I'm sure... it's a silly thing to say."

Dave Prentis, UNISON General Secretary, said: “Clarkson’s comments on the One Show were totally outrageous, and they cannot be tolerated.

“We are seeking urgent legal advice about what further action we can take against him and the BBC, and whether or not his comments should be referred to the police.

“Public sector workers and their families are utterly shocked by Jeremy Clarkson’s revolting comments.

“We know that many other licence fee payers share our concerns about his outrageous views.

“The One Show is broadcast at a time when children are watching – they could have been scared and upset by his aggressive statements.

“An apology is not enough - we are calling on the BBC to sack Jeremy Clarkson immediately. Such disgusting statements have no place on our TV screens.”

In a statement, the union also defended their “democratic right” to take strike action.

I saw the show, he was obviously joking. Completely obvious he didn't literally mean they should be shot.

Should he be sacked for the "totally outrageous" comments, or is this a proper example of p.c. gone mad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's hilarious that some people actually like that twat Clarkson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭massiveattack

chin_grin wrote: »
    It's hilarious that some people actually like that twat Clarkson.

Ok then, one bullet, him or ryan tubridy?

Ok then, one bullet, him or ryan tubridy?

I'd put them back to back and shoot through them. HA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Why didn't he say shoot the bankers instead ? Because he knew he would have lost his fcuking job , that's why ...he might still yet .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

i think it's hilarious that he thinks he actually works for a living. And he talks about the golden pensions as if he doesn't get any perks in his job. Twat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He's probably saying what every person's thinking, except the strikers of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Guys a tool. He's in trouble for a few things at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Clarkson makes controversal statment shocker. Now theres a first.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jesus Christ, do people think that Clarkson believes half the stuff he comes out with on TV or in his columns? He's pretty much said plenty of times that his column especially is just trolling for a laugh.

I'd put them back to back and shoot through them. HA!

You couldnt guarantee the bullet would make it through the first person :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I'd be more shocked if Clarkson got those manky teeth of his cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Clarkson is a complete spoofer. I doubt he means half of the stuff he comes out with. Wouldn't bother letting people like him annoy me.. they thrive on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,293 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's called publicity :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Prick. He works for the BBC so the public pay his wages making him a de facto PS worker himself the hypocritical bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Self involved fool, I actually find the whole thing quite funny, it's amazing that anyone could be so far up their own arse that they could think like that, he lives for this type of sensationalism though

You couldnt guarantee the bullet would make it through the first person :D

Yes you could.

Put them back to back. Get one to open their mouth. Stick gun in. Shoot. Two eejits, one bullet. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's called publicity :cool:
    He's got a dvd out to so it all makes sense .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Latchy wrote: »
    Why didn't he say shoot the bankers instead ? Because he knew he would have lost his fcuking job , that's why ...he might still yet .
    If that had been the topic I'd imagine he'd have said something equally as meaningless along the lines of hanging them for treason.
    MagicSean wrote: »
    i think it's hilarious that he thinks he actually works for a living. And he talks about the golden pensions as if he doesn't get any perks in his job. Twat
    He's done plenty of documentaries and does behind-the-scenes stuff. As far as I know he's not directly employed by anyone so doesn't get a public pension. Similar situation to Gerry Ryan whose family then sought a pay-out after he died because he didn't put any money aside and took out a few mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You'd think UNISON would spend their energy representing their members in things that actually matter. Anyone who watches Clarkson knows he tries to be funny by saying sensationalist remarks. Urgent legal advice... Refer to the police... I can see it now, Clarkson going on a rampage in a Ford GT40 executing Public Sector Workers in front of their families... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

ohhhhhhhhh the truth hurts;)

• Advertisement

Yes you could.

Put them back to back. Get one to open their mouth. Stick gun in. Shoot. Two eejits, one bullet. :pac:

No you cant, ever hear about attempted suicides where the person shoves the gun in their mouth and the bullet does a crazy ricochet and lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Paparazzo wrote: »
    or is this a proper example of p.c. gone mad?

It's a proper example of J.C. gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

why would you take him seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He also said this and my recollection was that it was before the comments about strikers. I'm surprised there has not been an uproar about this as well, remember Bertie's suicide remarks and the reaction that provoked.

Later in the programme Clarkson went on to complain about train delays caused by people committing suicide on the railways.
    He said: 'I do sometimes use the train to come to London but it always stops in Reading. It's always because somebody has jumped in front of it and somebody has burst.
    'You just think, why have we stopped because we've hit somebody? What's the point of stopping? It won't make them better.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

he is a contractor so isnt a public servant and has made the BBC millions with top gear.

he is also right.

50% of private sector workers dont have a pension. why?
    cause a huge lump of their taxes are paying the pensions of PS workers.
    PS sector pensions are paid from direct taxation. They are not a product of any investment.
    This system is completely unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭amacca

No you cant, ever hear about attempted suicides where the person shoves the gun in their mouth and the bullet does a crazy ricochet and lives?

muzzle velocity a bit off...there's your problem solved......if you are trying to shoot Ryan Tubridy and Jeremy Clarkson back to back that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

All aboard the sensationalist bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 45,293 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

why would you take him seriously

Some people take everything serious. The PC brigade lap it up

Clarkson always comes out with outlandish statements for publicity and gets it every time.

Very clever tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Take away the bellowing and he'd be just an ordinary bore rather than a bellowing bore.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    muzzle velocity a bit off...there's your problem solved......if you are trying to shoot Ryan Tubridy and Jeremy Clarkson back to back that is.

Pointless debate, sure line up pat and tubridy instead, at least jeremy doesnt cost us anything :)

Advertisement