Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson: Shoot the strikers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Goose81 wrote: »
    Maybe so, others are even more blinkered in the other direction though. I'm sick of these stupid banker comments being peddled out. Britain has a budget deficit every year, We have a budget deficit of 18 billion or so every year, that is nothing to do with bankers.

The financial quagmire we are currently in, the fact that we cannot borrow from the markets and have been rail-roaded into this so-called 'bail-out', has everything to the with the 'bank-guarantee' and, by extension, bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

amacca wrote: »
    an example of what?...........weren't you the one that stated 50% of private sector workers did not have pension provision or something?.....that would be my example of being treated like sh1t......at least the percentage of that not comprised of short term temp work, holiday work etc

Perhaps...perhaps not, what is your alternative?..............no pension provision for public sector at all......much reduced provision.....public sector to look after their own pension by investing in the private sector?

its hard to miss the point when you are not sure what your alternative is.

I hate to give a my mate told me answer so I wont.......around my locality I know 3 couples who were given a deposit for a house by their parents who are now also helping them make the repayment (I'm fairly confident this is not an isolated incident) + others supporting their out of work offspring etc etc..its seems to me as if its not a one way street of young peoples money going to old people (developers etc aside)......in fact I can see a lot of it going the other way now or alternatively...everyones money going to pay back debts we (a) should not have taken on or (b) should never have been incurred if the system was regulated properly

Oh me neither having been part of the public sector for a good long while....I'm not anti private sector either I hasten to add, now being part of it

Realities however are rarely as plain and simple as you paint them...if they were what you have said would be the reality right now

yes well on that at least we are in full agreement.

well imo for too long we have been pandering for short term gain and ignoring the long term sustainability of ireland and the western world as a whole.
    And our politicians, in particular FF, have been more then happy to give us this.

Policies which Bertie in particular pushed post 2003 are now coming home to roost. See this is the thing with politicians. The vast majority know what the right thing to do is but the problem is how to get re-elected after they do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Why was he even asked for his opinion? Who Cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

orourkeda wrote: »
    Why was he even asked for his opinion? Who Cares?
    Dont think Jeremy needs to be asked for his opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Biggins wrote: »
    Strangely enough, when at 7 in the evening and someone comes on and even jokes about violence, shooting wife and kids in front of each other - I have to say "Hold on a minute, have just a bit of fcukin' kop-on".

There a time and place - and Clarkson is just a gobschite, behaving as he does for self publicity/gain.

Some day he will be walking down the street soon and somebody will walk up to him I suspect and 'land' him one.
    He'd get no sympathy from the like of me.

'Legend" my arse!

Weren't watching Emmerdale at 7 o'clock tonight I assume. Girl gave birth alone in a graveyard and thought the baby was dead so dumped it in a telephone box, I'd find that worse than one throw-away comment that was obviously not meant to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Dont think Jeremy needs to be asked for his opinion.

True enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Strangely enough, when at 7 in the evening and someone comes on and even jokes about violence, shooting wife and kids in front of each other - I have to say "Hold on a minute, have just a bit of fcukin' kop-on".

There a time and place - and Clarkson is just a gobschite, behaving as he does for self publicity/gain.

Some day he will be walking down the street soon and somebody will walk up to him I suspect and 'land' him one.
    He'd get no sympathy from the like of me.

'Legend" my arse!
    Wait a second here. He apparently joked about violence and you find that reprehensible yet if somebody actually commited an act of violence towards him that wouldn't be so bad? Is that not a bit contradictory?

Wait a second here. He apparently joked about violence and you find that reprehensible yet if somebody actually commited an act of violence towards him that wouldn't be so bad? Is that not a bit contradictory?

"A punch isn't as bad as shooting hundreds of thousands of people."

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Jeremy Clarkson is the voice of the 21st centuries thinking man.

He's bold, he's brass and he doesn't give a **** if you don't like it.

He's a proper bloke, and all those cretins in the Union are fearful of him and men like him.

Typical that they're up in arms about it.

Time wasters.

Keep it up Jezza!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not a fan of him myself, he's always been a loud mouthed publicity seeker and it has helped further his own career so can't have too many complaints if this eventually leads to his downfall.

The media love taking his type down and they smell blood now.

• Advertisement

Jazzzman wrote: »

He's a proper bloke, and all those cretins in the Union are fearful of him and men like him.

Time wasters.

Keep it up Jezza!
    wannabe

wannabe

what's that pal?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vadge

Not sure if this was posted, but heres a fantastic article from Steve Coogan regarding certain remarks made by the stooges on the asinine Top Gear

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/feb/05/top-gear-offensive-steve-coogan

....and he is absolutely spot-on in that piece. I wish Clarkson to be scalped live on his own piece of **** show, overthrown by armies of Top Gear haters, and then shot in the stomach with balls of his own **** until he dies from internal bleeding. The smug ****

Vadge wrote: »
    I wish Clarkson to be scalped live on his own piece of **** show, overthrown by armies of Top Gear haters, and then shot in the stomach with balls of his own **** until he dies from internal bleeding. The smug ****

What's it like up there on the moral highground?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

skelliser wrote: »
    well imo for too long we have been pandering for short term gain and ignoring the long term sustainability of ireland and the western world as a whole.

hear hear..........couldn't agree more...its not going to change overnight though.

skelliser wrote: »
    Policies which Bertie in particular pushed post 2003 are now coming home to roost. See this is the thing with politicians. The vast majority know what the right thing to do is but the problem is how to get re-elected after they do it!

thats a problem with the electorate too (a majority of of them are greedy and short sighted and just plain stupid also)...so are you saying that the public service was unsustainable pre 2003?

if not then why cant it return (over time) to a situation similar to what it was in pre 2003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Time wasters.

Keep it up Jezza!

Proper bloke? Are you mad? He's a former private school school student turned millionaire TV presenter and expensive car collector. Hardly a salt of the earth grease monkey or builder.

what's that pal?
    you heard me, pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

saw it live.. don't like the guy but i only took it as a joke.

ott pc again

amacachi wrote: »
    What's it like up there on the moral highground?
    kinda quiet i'd say.

but replace the word Mexican with Irish, and re-read it.

how'd that work for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ah feck it....if everyone was the same the world would be a very boring place (definitely around 7 in the evening)

at least he stirs it up and gives people something to talk about...I quite like him on Top Gear.......and the other two goons as well.

There no problem sometimes with stirring things if it creates advantageous outcome debate - but as I mentioned, for all things there is a time and place.

Clarkson being the fool that he is should have picked a better later slot and/or place. Thats all.

• Advertisement

Proper bloke? Are you mad? He's a former private school school student turned millionaire TV presenter and expensive car collector. Hardly a salt of the earth grease monkey or builder.
    he's a dyed-in-the-wool tory boot boy.

which is a 'proper bloke'

a right proper one at that

kinda quiet i'd say.

but replace the word Mexican with Irish, and re-read it.

how'd that work for you?

I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be keen to see someone scalped for it and then shot in the stomach with balls of his own **** until he died of internal bleeding. I'm assuming here obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Jeremy Clarkson should be the leader of the government!

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be keen to see someone scalped for it and then shot in the stomach with balls of his own **** until he died of internal bleeding. I'm assuming here obviously.

fair nuff.

one could use dog poop instead i suppose.

I wouldn't want violence to happen to him. I wouldn't do it myself. I didn't say "it wouldn't be so bad" either.
    I alluded to if something like that happened - 1. it would come as no surprise and 2. while condemning any violence, see that he was reaping what he sowed somewhat - and for his words/actions I would have little feeling to him if there was a reaction, There's a subtle difference.
    If one is stupid to keep saying the wrong things (for whatever reason), sooner or later there might be a backlash.

you heard me, pal.

what's that pal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Clarkson is given so much leeway with Top Gear that he thinks he can say anything he likes when a microphone is put in his face. He needs to have his wings clipped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Exactly what you could expect from the likes of Clarkson who is very much out of touch with what the average PS worker in the UK earns.

He neednt worry about a pension when he is a journalist and presenter. He strikes me as the Pat Kenny of broadcasting in the BBC. Happy to cream in the big money for feck all work. Ready to vilify average Joe.

I'm not daft and realise he must have been stirring it but what he has said must have had an element of conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

There no problem sometimes with stirring things if it creates advantageous outcome debate - but as I mentioned, for all things there is a time and place.

that time and place is entirely subjective and subject to change over time though isn't it?

(a "lady" wouldn't have worn a swimsuit much above the knee on a beach in the states during the 20s whereas it would be OK as a white person to expect that you wouldn't have to share a seat with an "african american" on a bus/train etc during the same period - bit of a reversal there for the most part)

whats acceptable to you..or what you've been conditioned to accept may not be the same for others.

if we all agreed that you cant make certain statements before a certain time or at all and then actually stuck to them there would be no variety...we constantly set limits of whats acceptable and not acceptable...the majority sticks with them for a while and some push the envelope and the norm becomes a thing of the past etc before new boundaries are established or old ones re-established

I do agree though really...it was probably not the best chosen of opinions to express particularly when it will be taken out of context but it certainly generates more entertainment/comment than the plain vanilla 110% percent bobs your uncle tripe and being controversial (or simply a twat) is his stock and trade after all.

he can be an entertaining twat at times imo...hes definitely got us talking about him....

• Advertisement

...he can be an entertaining twat at times imo...hes definitely got us talking about him....

Which probably was his partial objective.
    Has he got a book or video, etc, coming out for Christmas?
    (Genuinely don't know myself)

Advertisement