Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

+1 for Demon shine
    Cheap as chips and a great drying aid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

However Neilw, quick detailer is really expensive drying aid. Get to halfords and get the big Carplan Demon Shine, cheap and chips, great drying aid and great to lubricate clay.

Have to disagree there, I bought a gallon of meguiars last touch about 2 years ago and I'm still not through it. It mixes 4:1 (iirc) with water so makes close to 4 gallons of usable detailer, thats a fair amount. I only spritz a small amount on a nearly dry panel and wipe off so not much used.
    Also a bonus that it can be used as a clay lube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Gallon (3 ltr) of megs QD = 35 euro dilute 4:1
    5 ltr Demon Shine = 13 euro dilutes 10:1

Meg QD is a great product, but as a drying aid its a bit too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Gallon (3 ltr) of megs QD = 35 euro dilute 4:1
    5 ltr Demon Shine = 13 euro dilutes 10:1

Meg QD is a great product, but as a drying aid its a bit too good.

Never knew demon shine was that cheap or dilutes that much, saying that I've another gallon of meguiars to get through so ill keep going as I am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Fitzgeme, a US gallon is nearer 4L than 3L :p

3.78L and 30 quid where I bought mine. Even if you only diluted it 50:50 that's 7L of spray detailer for 30 quid. When I make up a 500ml bottle of same, it lasts for at least 6 or 7 applications, as the flooding method gets most of the rinse water off the paint. So say 6 multiplied by 14 = 84 washes = 36c per wash.

Demon Shine may be cheap as chips but with those kind of figures above so is Last Touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

What's this drying aid stuff? I have a black car and its an absolute bitch to dry without any streaks, any tips? Iv tried a shammy but I think there useless

If you give your car a final rinse with a hose not a pressure washer (but take the nozzle off it first, so it doesn't spray out, just flow), working from the top down. This way most of the rinse water will run off your car rather than form hundreds or thousands of beads.

Then you are better using a microfibre drying towel to pat dry off excess water. The problem with a leather chamois or similar is that they grab at the paint, rather than gliding over it smoothly. Ends up not drying as well and giving an uneven look to the finish.

Microfibre on the other hand will soak up more water effortlessly. Even when the towel is damp (after wringing out), it will only leave minimal dampness on the paint. So little that when it evaporates, no water spots will form.

At this point most people would be happy the job is done but some like to use a quick detailer spray. Spray onto the surface sparingly, wipe it over the paint with a microfibre cloth, then gently buff to a high gloss shine.

The alternative option (lazy mans way) are rinse aids, where you mix solution with water and pour them over the whole car as a final rinse and then walk away. Again most of the water will sheet off by itself. Any that doesn't will dry off naturally with spotting.

The hardness of the water in your area, will also play a part in how much water spotting you would normally get. Most important of all, is to wash in the shade, so the Sun doesn't dry rinse water too quickly, regardless of whatever level of detail you go into.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

And then there's the problem of having to get all the water out of cracks and crevices. This is why I don't fully dry the car before a proper wax.

I will wet wax it first but then take it for a spirited drive. When I get back, the majority of the water is out of the crevices. Another microfibre is used to dry the car now along with taking off any dust from the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Dragging the microfibre towel across the surface of the body by holding the corners is another good method of drying. I've yet to do a full wash (2 buckets, clay, polish, wax (proper wax stuff) on this car. I've all the gear but the weather to date has been pox. Been doing interior cleaning instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

TomMc wrote: »

At this point most people would be happy the job is done but some like to use a quick detailer spray. Spray onto the surface sparingly, wipe it over the paint with a microfibre cloth, then gently buff to a high gloss shine.

Are you saying you put on the quick detailer while the car is still wet :confused:

I will wet wax it first but then take it for a spirited drive.

Wet wax :confused:

I thought the body work needed to be completely dry before you start putting stuff on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

mrs crilly wrote: »

I thought the body work needed to be completely dry before you start putting stuff on it?

Probably using something like this:
    http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/11377732/reviews.htm

As Hal1 posted, it's wet wax. It's only a booster to a proper wax once you have that done. Very handy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

If you give your car a final rinse with a hose not a pressure washer (but take the nozzle off it first, so it doesn't spray out, just flow), working from the top down. This way most of the rinse water will run off your car rather than form hundreds or thousands of beads.

Then you are better using a microfibre drying towel to pat dry off excess water. The problem with a leather chamois or similar is that they grab at the paint, rather than gliding over it smoothly. Ends up not drying as well and giving an uneven look to the finish.

Microfibre on the other hand will soak up more water effortlessly. Even when the towel is damp (after wringing out), it will only leave minimal dampness on the paint. So little that when it evaporates, no water spots will form.

The alternative option (lazy mans way) are rinse aids, where you mix solution with water and pour them over the whole car as a final rinse and then walk away. Again most of the water will sheet off by itself. Any that doesn't will dry off naturally with spotting.

The hardness of the water in your area, will also play a part in how much water spotting you would normally get. Most important of all, is to wash in the shade, so the Sun doesn't dry rinse water too quickly, regardless of whatever level of detail you go into.

Thanks for the reply, some helpful stuff here. I'll pick up one of them towels next time i'm out.

Just had a look at my power washer and its a karcher k4.97 can anyone recommend a foam lance for it, should any lance for a karcher fit?

Found this one,
    http://wap.ebay.ie/Pages/ViewItemPic.aspx?emvAD=480x710&aid=170690092829&emvcc=0

Any use?

username?! wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, some helpful stuff here. I'll pick up one of them towels next time i'm out.

Just had a look at my power washer and its a karcher k4.97 can anyone recommend a foam lance for it, should any lance for a karcher fit?

Found this one,
    http://wap.ebay.ie/Pages/ViewItemPic.aspx?emvAD=480x710&aid=170690092829&emvcc=0

Any use?

HERE

Are you saying you put on the quick detailer while the car is still wet :confused:

The car is washed, then any water droplets or pooling will be pat dried off with a microfibre towel. So at this point the paint may still be damp in places, not wet but not completely dry either. Then apply quick detailer, mist and wipe.

The car is washed, then any water droplets or pooling will be pat dried off with a microfibre towel. So at this point the paint may still be damp in places, not wet but not completely dry either. Then apply quick detailer, mist and wipe.

Ok I get ya, I normally wait until the car is fully dry before I put anything on it, the last few drops are always very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I want to start getting in to detailing.
    At a pure beginners level, what should I be looking at to wash the car and to clean the dash etc.
    Like most I don't want to spend huge money initially but want to get the essentials now and pick up what I need as I go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Cleancar.ie do a range of starter packs here.

http://www.cleancar.ie/cleancariekits.html

Detailing Shed also do a range of excellent products and cloths

http://www.detailingshed.com/

Best try avoid halfords. The autoglym stuff is generally excellent but the cloths, brushes are dire and generally overpriced unless the 3 for 2 offer is on. For instance the HD wax in detailing shed is a tenner cheaper than in halfords! Look on detailing world for DIY on the basics of cleaning and detailing. We are trying to get a new section going on boards.ie about this so please add your support by following the link in my signature.

It is an obsession, try not to get to sucked in :)

Support was added a few days ago. It's help like this is why I added it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I want to start getting in to detailing.
    At a pure beginners level, what should I be looking at to wash the car and to clean the dash etc.

At a very minimum to wash the car, I would recommend....

Two buckets with a grit guard - some people use two, but could get away with one in your rinse bucket - personally, I use two.
    Wash mitt (Lambswool or Microfiber) - no sponges
    Good Shampoo - pH neutral to prevent stripping any protection you might have on the car (wax / sealant), try to avoid the gimmick Wash 'n' Wax types
    Drying Towel - one thats soft with a mid-long pile
    Wax / Sealant

Would also recommend that you consider looking into claying your car - its about the best thing you can do, apart from machine polishing, to give your car a squeaky clean look!

For the dash - give it a good hoover, then using a mild mixture of all purpose cleaner, spray on and wipe down with a microfibre cloth....something like Chemical Guys Silk Dressing to finish it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Dropped my car off yesterday for it's front bumper fix and rear bumper respray.

Looking forward to being able to wash it again properly when it's back. No more dodging the lacquer peel area on the rear bumper so will be able to get it good and shiny! :D

I wouldn't use a pressure washer on fresh paint, nor anywhere near a repainted bumper, so take it easy!:D Hand wash and gentle rinse down.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dar83 wrote: »
    Dropped my car off yesterday for it's front bumper fix and rear bumper respray.

Looking forward to being able to wash it again properly when it's back. No more dodging the lacquer peel area on the rear bumper so will be able to get it good and shiny! :D

Had the same with mine, had it done x3 weeks back. Delighted. There is nothing more saddening than washing the car and having to wash the bumper peel :(

As stated take it easier on fresh paint. If it has been done properly and baked then it shouldnt have major impact but be careful for a few weeks.

Oh I'll be going over it with a feather for the first month or two, believe me! :P

I'm just looking forward to all the small knicks on the rear bumper being gone and the crack and scrape on the front being gone.

Was chatting briefly to the bodywork guy earlier, arranging a time for pickup tomorrow and he said it came out really well and he's very happy with it. So it all sounds good. He's polishing it up for me tomorrow as a bonus due to my initial appointment being put back a couple of days. :)

dar83 wrote: »
    Oh I'll be going over it with a feather for the first month or two, believe me! :P

I'm just looking forward to all the small knicks on the rear bumper being gone and the crack and scrape on the front being gone.

Was chatting briefly to the bodywork guy earlier, arranging a time for pickup tomorrow and he said it came out really well and he's very happy with it. So it all sounds good. He's polishing it up for me tomorrow as a bonus due to my initial appointment being put back a couple of days. :)

He should be polishing it up anyway if he's any use as a body shop. Painted items always need to be polished to get the finish right. ;)

listermint wrote: »
    He should be polishing it up anyway if he's any use as a body shop. Painted items always need to be polished to get the finish right. ;)

Ah yeah, but he's gonna go over it and do some of the touch up jobs as well. Just mentioned he'd give it the works for the delay. I don't expect much more than the regular after work polish, the price he gave me is already quite decent as it's a referral from a friend type thing. ;)

Curran wrote: »
    At a very minimum to wash the car, I would recommend....

Two buckets with a grit guard - some people use two, but could get away with one in your rinse bucket - personally, I use two.
    Wash mitt (Lambswool or Microfiber) - no sponges
    Good Shampoo - pH neutral to prevent stripping any protection you might have on the car (wax / sealant), try to avoid the gimmick Wash 'n' Wax types
    Drying Towel - one thats soft with a mid-long pile
    Wax / Sealant

Would also recommend that you consider looking into claying your car - its about the best thing you can do, apart from machine polishing, to give your car a squeaky clean look!

For the dash - give it a good hoover, then using a mild mixture of all purpose cleaner, spray on and wipe down with a microfibre cloth....something like Chemical Guys Silk Dressing to finish it off.

Thanks for this, its very comprehensive but for me its going to far. As I said, I am going to start by just washing. If I start and continue that, with keeping the insides cleaner, I'll be a better owner.
    But thanks for the types of cloths recommendation. I am a bit lost with that.

Thanks for this, its very comprehensive but for me its going to far. As I said, I am going to start by just washing. If I start and continue that, with keeping the insides cleaner, I'll be a better owner.

Trust me. The obsession starts with just washing the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Trust me. The obsession starts with just washing the car!

It's sure does I started off with just a bog standard wash and Hoover, then it was ah sure ill buy some cheap wax, to now were I have the likes of ag hd wax and cleaners for every part of the car there's not enough hours in the day, you'll always find at least one thing your car you're not 100% happy with :o.

Also every new lil mark breaks your heart still worth it though when you have her gleaming:D.

• Advertisement

Well its detailed but its basics for washing the car tbh.

Get x2 buckets - Why ? because you are just rubbing the dirt you just wiped off back onto the car again everytime you dip the wash mitt back in the water.
    So - 1 bucket contains the clean water with shampoo the other is for dipping the mitt in for rinse every panel you clean.
    (this process allows to keep your paint better with less scratches created from rubbing dirty wash mitts into it.

Get a decent shampoo - it makes washing easier.

Get a decent wash mitt - sponges trap stones and WILL scratch your laquer / paint. Trust me i made this mistake a number of years back on a brandly new painted bonnet.

Get a drying towel - this allows you to dry down the car and reduce water marks which at the end of the day makes your car look like you never washed it in the first place.

Il leave the polish and wax at your discretion they are needed for tip top shine and protection. But if you just want to wash, get the above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement