Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for wind and snow (NW) 4th, 5th December - DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bb1234567 wrote: »
    so is snow really coming ye? how much and how long will it last, will dublin be affected? please reply:)

i tempted to say 3-6ft in about 5 mins but i wont

2.9 c up here at the moment though no snow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well, since this thread was started the prospects of strong winds have been pushed back into next week, but the cold is definitely going to become a factor and I would say that most of Connacht, Ulster and parts of north and west Leinster can expect a coating of snow at times especially later Sunday and Monday. There appear to be further opportunities developing later in the week.

The chances for Dublin and most of the south and east (away from higher terrain) would appear to be slight but not zero, there could be some reports of snow but little if any accumulation in the situation depicted for Sunday and Monday.

Meanwhile, the 18z GFS has shown some strong wind possibilities for mid-week and later in the week, which once again need to be taken with caution; the 18z GFS run has the reputation of being the "pub run" over on Net-weather, I'm not sure if that's because people find it when they get home from the pub, or because it looks like it just came from the pub.

I always thought it might be the latter of those. Anyway, the long interval of mild weather (mid-Sept to almost end of Nov) seems to be over and we now are looking at a near- or slightly below-normal regime with variations taking temperatures well below normal at times.

It does look like a pattern that could revert to very mild briefly at some point because of ebbs and flows in the jet stream, but also a pattern that could shift further south and open the floodgates to stronger winter setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

Well, since this thread was started the prospects of strong winds have been pushed back into next week, but the cold is definitely going to become a factor and I would say that most of Connacht, Ulster and parts of north and west Leinster can expect a coating of snow at times especially later Sunday and Monday. There appear to be further opportunities developing later in the week.

The chances for Dublin and most of the south and east (away from higher terrain) would appear to be slight but not zero, there could be some reports of snow but little if any accumulation in the situation depicted for Sunday and Monday.

Meanwhile, the 18z GFS has shown some strong wind possibilities for mid-week and later in the week, which once again need to be taken with caution; the 18z GFS run has the reputation of being the "pub run" over on Net-weather, I'm not sure if that's because people find it when they get home from the pub, or because it looks like it just came from the pub.

I always thought it might be the latter of those. Anyway, the long interval of mild weather (mid-Sept to almost end of Nov) seems to be over and we now are looking at a near- or slightly below-normal regime with variations taking temperatures well below normal at times.

It does look like a pattern that could revert to very mild briefly at some point because of ebbs and flows in the jet stream, but also a pattern that could shift further south and open the floodgates to stronger winter setups.
    will cavan get snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

tzfrantic wrote: »
    will cavan get snow

no everywhere else but caaavvvaaan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

tzfrantic wrote: »
    will cavan get snow

Please read his post before asking that question. If everybody comes on asking will they get snow in their location then things will become unreadable.

He said "I would say that most of Connacht, Ulster and parts of north and west Leinster can expect a coating of snow at times especially later Sunday and Monday. There appear to be further opportunities developing later in the week." That pretty much answers your question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Sorry to be off topic but just noticed what you said about USA, are you talking short term? I'm heading over to New York in 10 days and would love to see some snow!!

Mt will keep you updated http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=154

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

will it snow here, will it snow there, will it snow anywhere, will it snow everywhere. folks read the threads and look at the model runs and maybe learn something in the process.
    rant over sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

18Z GFS for 06Z Monday morning.

183410.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Su Campu wrote: »

183410.gif

Is that the pub run MT referred to? If so let me get myself a hot whiskey and pull up by the open fire cos it looks like I'll be having a whitey:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Su Campu wrote: »

183410.gif

how do i find out what all those symbols mean that are on the chart ^^ grays and greens etc

thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

NIALL D wrote: »
    how do i find out what all those symbols mean that are on the chart ^^ grays and greens etc

thanks ;)

This should explain all :)
    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=rart&HH=6&INFO=1&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Models are increasingly pointing to the likely development of a very windy and cold period this weekend. Friday will see the gradual ramping up of a west to northwest wind in the 30-50 mph range but it will remain mild enough to prevent snow except perhaps on summits.

By Saturday, the parent low in the region near the Faeroes deepens further and colder air gradually works into the circulation as winds increase further to about 40-60 mph from the west-northwest. The snow line could come down in elevation especially across Donegal, Mayo and other parts of the north and west, to about 300m.

Then by Sunday further development takes place with the low transferring a deep centre southeast across Scotland into the North Sea. This will lead to severe gales in many parts of Ireland and Britain, and it will be cold enough for mixed wintry showers (at sea level, temps will be 3-5 C, at 300m near freezing) of hail and snow -- there could be some heavy snow amounts in northwest facing coastal regions similar to last December's Greenland express although it won't be quite as sustained or intense. As usual in these situations, the effects will be less dramatic towards the east and south but anyone planning to travel to the UK might want to consider the possibility of disruptions to road and air travel due to wind and local snowfalls. It looks particularly bad on the 18z GFS run for Yorkshire and East Anglia with a hurricane force storm in the North Sea. Winds over Ireland are likely to peak at around 50-70 mph given the model run and reasonable subjective tweaking of the output based on second-order factors (such as research energy peaks and sea surface temperatures).

This outlook may be revised rather substantially depending on the output of the more reliable 00z model runs. However, it has been "in the works" for several days and fits the developing global circulation which is seeing widespread intensification of zonal flow combined with an expanding arctic circulation of unusual intensity for this stage of the season.

This trend looks likely to reload around the 10th to 12th when more severe gales may develop at the full moon, with associated storm surge potential (just as a long-distance heads up).

I cant stand this outrageous theft any longer. This so called MT Cranium person has stolen my forecast almost word for word from my earlier post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056342618

Mods? anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

I would say that most of Connacht, Ulster and parts of north and west Leinster can expect a coating of snow at times especially later Sunday and Monday.

No mention of Munster in your forecast MT?

i-just-feel-so-irrelephant.png

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    No mention of Munster in your forecast MT?

i-just-feel-so-irrelephant.png

:pac:

Sure it nearly a given nothing decent will happen down that neck of the woods :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

GFS 0Z run looking interesting for some Sunday evening and Monday.

183420.png
    183422.png
    183421.png

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

GFS 0Z run looking interesting for some Sunday evening and Monday.

183420.png
    183422.png
    183421.png

Just wondering about the size of this event. Accumulation amounts havent been mentioned as yet. Could anyone offer an opinion or maybe it's too soon for that or none worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Finally something of interest to get our teeth into. I don't expect any snow in Waterford but i'm jumping on the first Roller Coaster of the Winter :) All aboard

It will skip us as usual by that top chart its stopping just as it hits waterfords border :) typical

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

jo06555 wrote: »
    It will skip us as usual by that top chart its stopping just as it hits waterfords border :) typical

I think amounts in general will be small. Mainly a high ground dusting in the North and West. I have a high confidence of nothing Wintry falling in Waterford. Even MT latest forecast is suggesting nothing at sea level anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Yes. It seems a bit of a roll back on previous statements. Just seems now to be just a higher terrain event if even that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

justy182 wrote: »
    Just wondering about the size of this event. Accumulation amounts havent been mentioned as yet. Could anyone offer an opinion or maybe it's too soon for that or none worthwhile?

Looks like north-western hills will be the only ones to see any sort of snow accumulation. Maybe the odd flurry at sea level but that wet snow that disappears pretty quick after it has fallen. I'd say sleet shows will be the norm across the northwest/north and on hills further south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Any snowfall likely to occur only above 300m or so in west Munster, Ulster, north Leinster and Connacht. The snowline may fall to lower levels in Donegal, Derry, Tyrone, Sligo and Fermanagh at times on Sunday eve through early Monday morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Postman from Donegal was just on 2 fm and it's not looking good for a bad winter, lock it up admin lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Postman from Donegal was just on 2 fm and it's not looking good for a bad winter, lock it up admin lol

Garden centres open their doors, lay on extra staff and longer opening hours to facilitate the rush. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Lucreto wrote: »
    My lampspost bulb has burnt out. I need to get it repaired quick. Who should I call?

Ghostbusters..........:pac::pac::pac:

(Just as useful.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Eirtricity Public lighting on 1850372772!! Ha!

Don't hold your breath, I called them 3 months ago and still nothing done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Don't hold your breath, I called them 3 months ago and still nothing done.

Called them and now it is fixed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Hope they didn't put one of those blue light bulbs in it, u stare at that thing long enough looking for snow and your likely gonna go blind!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Probably snow on higher ground - sleet at lower levels - But at least the cold is now pushing in:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Northern Ireland Weather on facebook just posted this...
    eather Watch Issued 02/12/2011. Valid from 04/12/2011 - Heavy snow showers are expected during Sunday afternoon and evening, Accumulations of up to 5 cm are possible to low levels and up to 10 cm or more on higher ground. Ice is likely to form on untreated roads & paths. This may lead to some travel disruption.

Please note this watch may be subject to changes & will be updated throughout the weekend.

Going by reading the posts on here, I'm thinking this person has slightly exagerated their forecast?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement