Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for wind and snow (NW) 4th, 5th December - DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The 12z runs seem about on par with the 06z and if anything it looks a bit colder for Sunday night and Monday so, all things considered, we are seeing the sort of model performance that often leads to a cycle of upgrade-downgrade. I suspect there will be a drift back towards a stronger wind scenario and at the moment I would estimate the chances of seeing snow in some parts of the northwest as about 30-40% on Wednesday night into Thursday morning, and 50-70% on Sunday night into Monday. Amounts are not likely to be very significant on the current maps but 1-3 cms here and there sort of thing with 5-10 cms possible on higher slopes.

The Wednesday night potential is partly based on convection in a strong frontal passage, so it could be a brief burst of thunder-snow. This would be around 2300h to 0200h from the current guidance.

As always, this reduces to very small potential in the 80% of Ireland east and south of about Roscommon with the exception of some very high summits as may become evident the day after the event if skies cleared.

But there will be the possibility of thunder and hail or even snow pellets as the freezing level will be down around 300-500 metres at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

And the rollercoaster begins...

A severe weather warning has been issued for Donegal for the next few days with forecasts for heavy rain, sleet, snow and winds of up to 110kph.

The warnings come as the first real taste of winter bites in Co Donegal.

This afternoon we have had reports of heavy sleet in Falcarragh, Downings, Kilmacrennan and Termon.

And according to Met Eireann and BBC forecasters much more is to follow in the next few days.

Worried islanders on Tory, afraid of being cut off from the mainland, had supplies flown out to them this morning.

Vital supplies including foodstuffs such as milk and bread as well as fuel was taken onto the island by the rescue helicopter based at Sligo.

With heavy seas and strong winds forecast, it is feared that boats will not be able to access the island for a number of days.

A spokesman for Met Eireann said stormy conditions are certainly forecast beginning from later today.

“It will get a lot colder and windier in the coming hours across the North West.

“We still do not know how cold it will get just yet but temperatures are already plunging.

“We are expecting very strong winds of up to 110 KPH and more rain.

“Temperatures are getting much colder and because of that there is a strong possibility of snow in places.

“We have already had reports of sleet in many places across Donegal and that looks likely to continue,” said the spokesman.

Many roads around Termon and Kilmacrennan are reported to be white with heavy sleet this afternoon which could turn to snow this evening.

Donegal County Council is currently on standby and may be forced to send out gritters if the temperatures continue to plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »

Thanks, where did you get that from btw?
    Heres a bit on Highland.
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/11/29/met-eireann-warns-of-winds-of-up-to-110km-per-hour-to-hit-donegal/

News just in, RNAG said it is snowing in Letterkenny town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Can I just put on record here that I very much disagree with the thoughts of this thread.
    First of all the 18z last night was the only run that gave us severe wind.
    Secondly conditions next Monday look very borderline, even for high ground. Of course either way it an 18hour event at most.

Next......

• Advertisement

Donegal's busiest road was flooded last night at an area called 'The Dry Arch'. :)

One of my top ten weather fantasie's would be , to stay on Tory during a major storm, in a cottage with a big turf fire roaring. With all the supplies I needed for a month. Just hibernate.:)

Would be heaven.

Pangea wrote: »

Getting tweets of very large hail in Letterkenny but none of snow yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

anyone got pictures would be nice to see might ease the craving

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jake1 wrote: »
    One of my top ten weather fantasie's would be , to stay on Tory during a major storm, in a cottage with a big turf fire roaring. With all the supplies I needed for a month. Just hibernate.:)

Would be heaven.

+1

• Advertisement

Would be heaven.

If you are staying for a month I suggest you bring two ;)

Getting tweets of very large hail in Letterkenny but none of snow yet.
    Yeah who knows one weather report contradicts the other :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

No snow, just a crazy hail shower, looks exactly like snow outside now though with everything all white

Would be heaven.

I have a relative with cottage at Lough Swilly, that will have to do:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

The Wednesday night potential is partly based on convection in a strong frontal passage, so it could be a brief burst of thunder-snow.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Would be heaven.

I have a relative with cottage at Lough Swilly, that will have to do:)

I spent 3 weeks of my youth in the gaelteacht in falcarragh. IMO the best view of the atlantic that there is is in falcarragh!

I never got the chance to get the boat from there to tory. Promised myself i would. I will go back and do so maybe before the year is out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Thunder and lightening in Buncrana!! Woohooo!! :D Long rumbles too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Passed 5 miles north of me of course :mad:

Disgusted looking at the radar, still thunder and lightning but well in the distance. Sounds like an amazing storm, almost a constant rumble!

Thunder and Lightning here too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Thunder and Lightning here too :)

Sure is! wherever the feck you are...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Holeeee fook! The biggest clap of thunder, lights out, huge lightening right outside the house about 10 mins ago, lashing rain after. Calmed down now, think it's passed. Was great tho :D .. Inishowen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Sorry. On the phone here. Linking sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Nice run of strikes being picked up over Donegal alright:
    183094.gif

say's he, jealously!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

its times like these that we need iwo to be online.
    heres hoping we get whats promises thanks mt for the update

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Sorry. On the phone here. Linking sucks.

Get an iPhone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Im waiting patiently for Muckish to appear online with the usual AMAZINGLY Jammy photos that he gets up in the north! , My guess , a lightning bolt on the left of the photo lightning up some sleety hail with the stars in the middle and the crescent moon on the right...

SO ye.... * sits and waits*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Whats all this got to do with potential severe gales/snow for the weekend?
    Isn't there a seperate thread for todays weather? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

This afternoon we have had reports of heavy sleet in Falcarragh, Downings, Kilmacrennan and Termon.

My 85yr old da, who doesn't leave the house cos he loves weather watching said we had some hail.

Worried islanders on Tory, afraid of being cut off from the mainland, had supplies flown out to them this m
    orning

This is a normal occurrence in rough weather. The island can usually be cut off for days. Mind you emergency rations were probably supplies of alcohol! It's a lovely island but if you want to survive you need to get to know the locals...and the currency is drink:-)

Donegal County Council is currently on standby and may be forced to send out gritters if the temperatures continue to plummet.

Highland Radio, who are based in Letterkenny, love a good snow shower… if they don't mention gritters then they are still in hibernation!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement