Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

m1989 wrote: »
    Bought some Adidas Supernova ST today. Extra 20% off so worked out at €55 on adidas.ie if anyone else is a fan of this shoe. Offer only on the white ones afaik but they will do the job.

Yep, got me a pair of the long yearned for Takumi Sen. Hope they fit now.

Down from 159 to 80 to 63.xx Can't argue with that.

Well you could argue that 160 is bloody ridiculous to start with, and you'd be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Itziger wrote: »
    Yep, got me a pair of the long yearned for Takumi Sen. Hope they fit now.

Down from 159 to 80 to 63.xx Can't argue with that.

Well you could argue that 160 is bloody ridiculous to start with, and you'd be right.

I dunno - once you try 'em out you might end up paying 160 for a 2nd pair!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Picked up a pair of Takumi Ren off Sportsshoes.com. £69.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Picked up a pair of Takumi Ren off Sportsshoes.com. £69.

I loved them as a marathon shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Thewitheredowl

What's the main difference between the Takumi Ren and Sen, and would there be a preferred one to try from the point of view of a marathon training cycle and the marathon itself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think HBS has both so he might be able to give a comparison?

What's the main difference between the Takumi Ren and Sen, and would there be a preferred one to try from the point of view of a marathon training cycle and the marathon itself?

These arrived by parcel motel yesterday. I took wore a pair today on an 11 miler run to break them in. There's more in the heel and forefoot than the Sens, and the upper feels a bit stiffer - overall they feel like a more robust shoe, while still being amazingly light. My legs are feeling no ill effects, whereas my calves would be fairly tender after the Sens. The also have a removable insole/sockliner (the Sens one is glued in). I'm going to chance them on a couple of long runs and then judge if they're suitable for a marathon. They'll definitely do for a half. Much like the Sens, I find the Rens really easy to run in. I'm glad I took advantage of the extra discount for two pairs.

The Rens suited me fine for the full and the half and I did a few MP sessions and long runs in them too. I did use them sparingly, mostly to make them last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'd say the Sens would be a bit risky for most of us mortals as far as 42k goes. I think they were designed with faster (and lighter) runners in mind. I once spoke to a guy in a shop in Spain where they had 'em and he wasn't too impressed when I said I was a 3hr marathon runner. At the time I was a 3.03 man, but you get the picture. If and when I get these shoes I'll give them a few spins and decide. Might keep to Half distance in them.

Personally I wouldn't take them past 10K. the Ren I'm hoping will be used for the longer distance races of which I'll be doing plenty this year.

Itziger wrote:
    I'd say the Sens would be a bit risky for most of us mortals as far as 42k goes. I think they were designed with faster (and lighter) runners in mind. I once spoke to a guy in a shop in Spain where they had 'em and he wasn't too impressed when I said I was a 3hr marathon runner. At the time I was a 3.03 man, but you get the picture. If and when I get these shoes I'll give them a few spins and decide. Might keep to Half distance in them.

I'd be slow to wear the Sens for anything beyond 10k myself. They're great for the shorter stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Itziger wrote: »

When I originally purchased the Sen and Ren it was with a marathon in mind.
    I used them for 20m+ runs with 10/12 at MP with no apparent issues, but I did notice my legs were beat up for a few extra days afterwards. This made me err on the side of caution as the risk-reward spectrum was leaning more towards risk. I subsequently stepped up to the Adios for marathons.

I did wear both on successive half marathons though and found them great, though I do remember warming down in them and regretting not getting back to the car and putting on something more forgiving.

BeepBeep67 wrote:
    When I originally purchased the Sen and Ren it was with a marathon in mind. I used them for 20m+ runs with 10/12 at MP with no apparent issues, but I did notice my legs were beat up for a few extra days afterwards. This made me err on the side of caution as the risk-reward spectrum was leaning more towards risk. I subsequently stepped up to the Adios for marathons.

Are you talking about the Sens or the Rens here? If I race in the Sens I can feel it in my calves for a few days afterwards. As for the Rens - well there was a bit of the risk/reward thing going with me as well, as well as a bit of experimentation, which I think paid off. I did similiar to you in the Rens - long runs with long ( up to 14 miles) MP sections. My legs felt more beat up after a 5k in the Sens. I also think I was running more on the forefoot than I would in a more padded shoe. I found the material under the heel a lot stiffer, which I think suited me.
    As you may have guessed, I love these shoes and love running in them. It just feels like I'm floating over the ground.
    Btw my missus has a pair Black Sens in size 3.5 that she wore for a few short walks and won't wear again.

Are you talking about the Sens or the Rens here? If I race in the Sens I can feel it in my calves for a few days afterwards. As for the Rens - well there was a bit of the risk/reward thing going with me as well, as well as a bit of experimentation, which I think paid off. I did similiar to you in the Rens - long runs with long ( up to 14 miles) MP sections. My legs felt more beat up after a 5k in the Sens. I also think I was running more on the forefoot than I would in a more padded shoe. I found the material under the heel a lot stiffer, which I think suited me.
    As you may have guessed, I love these shoes and love running in them. It just feels like I'm floating over the ground.
    Btw my missus has a pair Black Sens in size 3.5 that she wore for a few short walks and won't wear again.

Both I both the Ren first and about 6 months later progressed to the Sen.

In other news, January sales.
    NB 1400v5 NYC edition and Boston 6, both approx 60 sterlings.

437884.PNG

BeepBeep67 wrote:
    In other news, January sales. NB 1400v5 NYC edition and Boston 6, both approx 60 sterlings.

How are the Boston 6 compared to the 5s. I always found the 5s a bit tight and that was with going up half a size. Still a great shoe though. Were did you get them for £60?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

m1989 wrote:
    Bought some Adidas Supernova ST today. Extra 20% off so worked out at €55 on adidas.ie if anyone else is a fan of this shoe. Offer only on the white ones afaik but they will do the job.

I'm wearing the sequence 9 at the moment. The uppers are in pure ****e. Covered in muck and really raggedy! They still run great though. The white in the ST would be destroyed in a week on the roads around here. This might be mad but I wonder has anyone ever tried to use that dylon stuff to dye pale runners?!

How are the Boston 6 compared to the 5s. I always found the 5s a bit tight and that was with going up half a size. Still a great shoe though. Were did you get them for £60?

Just picked them up from PM tonight, fit feels about the same as the 5's, I also go up half a size, same for the 1400's incidentally.

Still a few sizes left, 8, 8.5, 9, 10.5, 11: http://www.prodirectrunning.com/products/adidas-Adizero-Boston-6-Mystery-Blue-Night-Navy-Blue-Mens-Shoes-BA7933-145674.aspx?spr=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I have those Boston Boost, same colour too. God I miss my kinavaras, heels are in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Anyone have experience of Addidas Supernova 8s? Never worn Addidas, mostly Brooks (Glycerin/Dyads) and Saucony (Wave) but just ordered a pair of Supernova's for €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Are they the Supernova Glide Boost 8?
    I have 700km on mine, love them for longer runs, looking for a new pair but they're discontinued, replaced by the heavier Supernova
    Where did you see them for €60?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sub430 wrote: »
    Are they the Supernova Glide Boost 8?
    I have 700km on mine, love them for longer runs, looking for a new pair but they're discontinued, replaced by the heavier Supernova
    Where did you see them for €60?

I possibly should have said women's - i got them on Sports Direct, they are just Supernova Glide 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Hi All, I have a pair of Adidas Takumi Sen 3 shoes that I picked up in the Adidas sale a couple of weeks ago.

They dont fit though! Size 43 1/3 (9) but they would suit someone who takes a size 8.5 shoe. They are ridiculously light and yours in the box for cost which was €60.

Any takers?

https://www.adidas.ie/adizero-takumi-sen-3-shoes/BA8242.html

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Hi Johnny,

Are these a standard fit?
    I am a 9, so may be interested in these.

Thanks,

NT

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Anyone bought the New Balance 1500 v4 yet and how does it compare to the v2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Couldn't find Kinvaras at a decent price on sportsshoes, so went with 2 pairs of Mizuno Hitogami Wave 4. Very similar shoe, or at least they were around the time of Kinvara's 5th iteration. When I switched from Asics I ended up with a pair of Kinvaras and a pair of Hitogamis. To be honest I found little difference in them, except that the Kinvaras seemed a little more hard-wearing. I'm glad to report that the Hitogami 4s haven't changed much - very comfortable shoe. Feels a little less cushioned than the Ks, but same 4mm drop, and they deliver a nice ride. They feel roomier around the forefoot, so if one's toes splay while running these allow for that nicely. Will report on wear rate anon.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I have been tempted to try the hitogami's but the 4mm drop always puts me off, I currently run in the Mizuno Catalyst 2 and on my third pair.
    Was looking at the Mizuno Wave Shadow, Has anybody tried them?

boydkev wrote: »
    I have been tempted to try the hitogami's but the 4mm drop always puts me off, I currently run in the Mizuno Catalyst 2 and on my third pair.
    Was looking at the Mizuno Wave Shadow, Has anybody tried them?

9mm drop on hitogami. never was near as low as 4mm on any version.

I don't think the hitogami and Kinvara are particularly similar. I'd use the Mizuno primarily on race day whereas the Kinvara would be more of an everyday trainer (for me at least). Kinvara is a good bit more cushioned and the mizuno gives you a bit more of a ground feel.

This is based on the hitogami 2 though so it may have changed since then.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't think the hitogami and Kinvara are particularly similar. I'd use the Mizuno primarily on race day whereas the Kinvara would be more of an everyday trainer (for me at least). Kinvara is a good bit more cushioned and the mizuno gives you a bit more of a ground feel.

This is based on the hitogami 2 though so it may have changed since then.

you're right. kinvara would be more plush/cushioned although you could race in it as despite the cushion it's reasonably fast imo. (due to the relatively low drop I would say that encourages quicker transition and fairly lightweight)

hitogami more a race shoe that would probably wear out quicker (in terms of cushioning and actual surface wear) and and more road feel as you point out - solid underfoot.

afaik Mizuno hasn't changed it much over the versions 1 to 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 only running

Spotted in another thread Kinvara 9 in stock a few running shops. Anyone tried them out? much difference from the 8 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭seanin4711

brooks adrenaline 16

la sportiva helios (for a bit of off road)

then new adrenalines!

Advertisement