Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Budget; After Hours style

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

lastlaugh wrote: »
    If they don't have to pay a morgage they should sacrifice a large chunk of their take home pay for the good of us all. (and I'm secretly jealous)

No they shouldn't. Being smart enough not to make a stupid investment decision shouldn't be punished. Hope you enjoy your property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Palytoxin wrote: »
    *Sighs*... I suppose you're right...
    (bit harsh though:p, not the worst suggestion here you'll have to admit)

Ya gotta take the little victories....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Palytoxin wrote: »
    Everyone in Ireland should take a German exam every year ( and progress to a higher level every year) as it will be our national language, all those who fail get fined. Where is your pride in our heritage?

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

If they don't have to pay a morgage they should sacrifice a large chunk of their take home pay for the good of us all. (and I'm secretly jealous)

I feel you pain man! I live with the gf, but most of her mates still live at home while working full time. It's crazy to see the difference in social patterns between my mates (mostly living with partners) and hers, where the renters aamoung us will have to settle for cans in a house on a Friday and Saturday (if at all), maybe a pizza if we've been good, her mates are out Friday, Saturday, Sunday afternoon on the piss every week, off abroad twice during the Summer months... It's not fair! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

The economy will be up and running in 6 months if these bullet-points are followed; however, no chance of FG/LP following them - neither party are capitalists.

1) Get rid of the Senead. Cut all TD's, Ministers and Taoiseacht pay to average wage. No benefits, expenses, perks.
    2) We have 750 Quangos in this country, most thrown up during Berties spend spend spending spree - morph the important duties in with other offices and totally scrap the rest. They're costing us billions, and hindering our economy.
    3) Deregulate the economy to allow people back to work. All legislation restricts money changing hands.
    4) Get rid of the Dept. Education and Dept. JEI Trade and Commerce.

That's just a start. NO NEW TAXES. JUST CUTS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

The economy will be up and running in 6 months if these bullet-points are followed; however, no chance of FG/LP following them - neither party are capitalists.

1) Get rid of the Senead. Cut all TD's, Ministers and Taoiseacht pay to average wage. No benefits, expenses, perks.
    2) We have 750 Quangos in this country, most thrown up during Berties spend spend spending spree - morph the important duties in with other offices and totally scrap the rest. They're costing us billions, and hindering our economy.
    3) Deregulate the economy to allow people back to work. All legislation restricts money changing hands.

How much would those cuts add up to, roughly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

How much would those cuts add up to, roughly?

3 million imagination bux.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Despite the 'after hours' style budget, a few ideas are actually plausible :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

its the lax regulation of the financial sector that got us into this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Tax 1c on every post you make in AH. That will keep some of us from spouting endless sh!te..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

DrumSteve wrote: »
    either :D or :rolleyes:

The use of the second of those smiley faces should automatically incur a fixed penalty of 5c (towards the greater good of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

This is why I voted Fianna Fail in the last election... at least they've a bit of compassion for the lower rungs of society. If you just accept that they're going to be corrupt then they're the best choice. Their last few budgets were not as savage as people thought they would be but they made some inroads.

Fine Gael might not be corrupt but they don't give a damn about those on social welfare or the less well-off. In a way though I look forward to those sheep who voted for Fine Gael looking around at each other after the budget wondering who they're going to turn to next.. what did they expect Fine Gael to do?

yuppies wrote: »
    This is why I voted Fianna Fail in the last election... at least they've a bit of compassion for the lower rungs of society. If you just accept that they're going to be corrupt then they're the best choice. Their last few budgets were not as savage as people thought they would be but they made some inroads.

Fine Gael might not be corrupt but they don't give a damn about those on social welfare or the less well-off. In a way though I look forward to those sheep who voted for Fine Gael looking around at each other after the budget wondering who they're going to turn to next.. what did they expect Fine Gael to do?

i hop to fúck youre a troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

My goodness, proof that FF will be back :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Kasabian wrote: »
    Tax 1c on every post you make in AH. That will keep some of us from spouting endless sh!te..

As long as they dont back date it!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Abolish Senate.
    Reduce excise duty+vat on diesel for businesses
    Decrease Social Welfare on a year by year scale for people on it for more than 5 years without having a disability
    Increase higher rate of tax by 1-2 % (I'm on this but no objections)
    Abolish Croke Park Agreement- Abolish benchmarking for public sector, set up company pension schemes for PS.
    Reduce Admin count at HSE- It's bloody ridiculous.
    Close all motor tax offices nationwide/abolish car tax- Instead levy petrol+diesel to cover for it.
    Only one pension for TD regardless of offices held- And not payable until the national retirement age.
    No holding up a job vacancy such as Enda and the rest have been doing in case they fail at politics and don't get elected- tough shít- if you want a career choice it's your decision so think carefully.

It's nearly 4pm so I'm finished work so loads more to do later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

My political stance is pragmatism.. fianna fail fit that better than others I find.. although no banks should ever have been bailed out.. obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

A "Kick in the bollox" tax for anyone spouting out **** chart music on their phone in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Scrap rent allowance.
    €200 charge per year for medical cards.
    30% pay cut for all government ministers, scrap all allowances.
    Scrap the seanad.
    5 cent tax on txt messages.
    Half child benefit payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just as a start

Means test Child Benefit
    Reduce JSA each year you are on
    Reduce the TDs wages and pension
    Cut the number of admin staff in the HSE
    Review the recuitment embargo in the HSE (its costing them more getting temp staff through agencys)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Offer a tax relief for individuals/families that can prove they holidayed in Ireland rather than abroad.
    Tax text messages
    Employ inspectors to root out benefit cheats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

KILL THE POOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    It's going to be financially horrific regardless of your income or status in a weeks time. If you were in charge of it how would you balance the books? What would you do to get some money back into the country?

I'd introduce a €500 levy for anyone showing up at a hospital A&E as a result of being drunk and disorderly. If they cant afford to pay it then it comes out of their Social Welfare weekly.

A 70% tax bracket for anyone making more than €200k a year.

All political positions capped at €75k a year, including expenses and including the Taoiseach.

You?

We need those people to stay in Ireland though

My political stance is pragmatism.. fianna fail fit that better than others I find.. although no banks should ever have been bailed out.. obviously

pragmatism is doing things practically for the best solution. FF are the ones who got us into this position. they ruined the country and fúcked the poor constantly. if your political stance is for FF then your political stance is one for corruption, idiocy and thieving.

And by the way, i was on minimum wage for most of berties reign and all i saw it getting harder and harder to scrape by due to massive inflation, food and rent just kept going up and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Your political views make baby Jesus cry, ff should be lynched

I feel you pain man! I live with the gf, but most of her mates still live at home while working full time. It's crazy to see the difference in social patterns between my mates (mostly living with partners) and hers, where the renters aamoung us will have to settle for cans in a house on a Friday and Saturday (if at all), maybe a pizza if we've been good, her mates are out Friday, Saturday, Sunday afternoon on the piss every week, off abroad twice during the Summer months... It's not fair! :mad:

A lot of people still living at home with Mummy & Daddy have no real concept of hardship or what it is to be bled by a hard budget.
    Getting their washing done for them, not contributing towards bills or a mortgage, all that take home pay just spent on fancy phones and nights out on the Razz.

They need to be taxed. HEAVILY. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

A lot of people still living at home with Mummy & Daddy have no real concept of hardship or what it is to be bled by a hard budget.
    Getting their washing done for them, not contributing towards bills or a mortgage, all that take home pay just spent on fancy phones and nights out on the Razz.

Why should they be picked on? The majority of people seem to be lucky enough to stay at home until they are ready to move out, maybe you did too. Most are saving for something or waiting until they meet a partner to settle down with etc. Seriously, do you think people should be forced out of home at 18 and into rented acommodation or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

eh, no they don't. anyone I know still living at home pays rent (myself included). I also look after my own food most of the time, clean my own living space etc. i have lived outside of home before (job moved and other stuff happened so had to move home) so I know I am well capable of taking care of myself, paying bills on time etc.

Some people are so bitter that others have a nice home life and decent parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

And they caused all this how?

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Why should they be picked on? The majority of people seem to be lucky enough to stay at home until they are ready to move out, maybe you did too. Most are saving for something or waiting until they meet a partner to settle down with etc. Seriously, do you think people should be forced out of home at 18 and into rented acommodation or what?

Nope. It should be means tested. People in their mid twenties to early fourties who live at 'home' quite comfortably and who work full time have a lot of 'extra' cash. I'd rather see these people taxed heavily than cuts to SNAs or other wothwhile things. That's all. We all need to share the pain.

And they contributed to the financial collapse how?

I'm not implying they 'contributed to the financial collapse', rather we should get a few more quid off them as they don't need it as much.

Advertisement