Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Lemlin wrote: »
    That decision should have been made long ago. The only loser from this has been Johnston. Andrews has actually received alot of support in the county and it seems to me that Johnston is now seen by many as a figurehead for the negative characteristics of players from previous years.

His reputation in Cavan has been invariably tarnished and, even if Andrews moves on, it'll be a bold move by any future manager to call him back into the setup.

Cavan's 'Saipan' is over at least it seems.

I am confused, Cavan people give their county players stick for being "not good enough" in their eyes, yet now they are going to blank the one decent footballer they have. And you wonder why Cavan have won sweet F A all these years

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am confused, Cavan people give their county players stick for being "not good enough" in their eyes, yet now they are going to blank the one decent footballer they have. And you wonder why Cavan have won sweet F A all these years

You couldn't make it up.
    AND these lads think they are knowledgeable about football. They would stab their own in defence of a lu la like Val.

You couldn't make it up.
    AND these lads think they are knowledgeable about football. They would stab their own in defence of a lu la like Val.

I wouldn't call him a lu la, he is a decent coach in his own right, why anyone would want to take on the mantle of coach to Cavan is beyond me, their overall club structure is antiquated, they don't have the desire or determination from what I can see, possibly have some talent, but without effort they may as well be togging out for Kilkenny footballers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If the manager feels he has a destabilising effect on the team (and I'd bet my life that that's why he wasn't recalled to the Cavan squad) he has every right to drop him. Gaelic football is a team sport and no man is bigger than his team. His own club team Cavan Gaels even dropped him (most likely for similar reasons) and stripped him of the captaincy if I'm not mistaken.
    And yes, they haven't won anything for years, but for the past few years that has been with Johnston in the team. From what Lemlin has been saying, in this time there has been a serious attitude problem in the team in that time. That's probably a much bigger reason that they haven't won anything if true.
    You couldn't make it up.
    I thought you said you were leaving this thread? Your personal vendetta against Val Andrews is extremely annoying.

If the manager feels he has a destabilising effect on the team (and I'd bet my life that that's why he wasn't recalled to the Cavan squad) he has every right to drop him. Gaelic football is a team sport and no man is bigger than his team. His own club team Cavan Gaels even dropped him (most likely for similar reasons) and stripped him of the captaincy if I'm not mistaken.
    And yes, they haven't won anything for years, but for the past few years that has been with Johnston in the team. From what Lemlin has been saying, in this time there has been a serious attitude problem in the team in that time. That's probably a much bigger reason that they haven't won anything if true.

I thought you said you were leaving this thread? Your personal vendetta against Val Andrews is extremely annoying.

That is an unbelieveably naive mis-informed statement.

The reason for Cavan's poor showing in gaelic football is down to Seanie Johnston, so, if that is true, I am going to stick a tenner on them to win Ulster this year, thats once Seanie stays away like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The reason for Cavan's poor showing in gaelic football is down to Seanie Johnston, so, if that is true, I am going to stick a tenner on them to win Ulster this year, thats once Seanie stays away like.

ha ha. You are right of course but that's what you are up against. Might throw a tenner on that myself if that logic works.

I suggest you read my post properly.
    I did not say that the reason that Cavan have been doing so badly is because of Johnston. You said they were blanking "the one decent footballer they have" and then said "you wonder why Cavan have won sweet F A all these year". I stated that Cavan have had an attitude problem in their camp for years which is quite possibly the main reason for their lack of success recently. Note that Johnston wasn't the only player not recalled to the squad in 2012.
    Need another explanation or have you got it this time?
    ha ha. You are right of course but that's what you are up against. Might throw a tenner on that myself if that logic works.
    Give it a rest will you for Christ's sake. You are totally incapable of carrying out any sort of debate without throwing around sly digs at everyone who disagrees with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

We haven't heard the end of this yet. Watch this space...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think the DRA is the last chance for this to go through so there may be a bit to go yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

ColHol wrote: »
    I think the DRA is the last chance for this to go through so there may be a bit to go yet.

There is always the legal route!
    It would be interesting to see what the wigs would think of this archaic restrictive practice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Cavan have won sweet F A (as you put it yourself) because of the attitude, lack of discipline and non commitment of some of the players around the camp, not because our players are "not good enough"!! Where have Cavan people given players stick for not being good enough????

Being a talented footballer means nothing if you don't have the attitude to go with it. Fair play to the manager for being brave enough to make such a call and the reason the manager is being backed is that it was a decision that had to be made.

I personally won't be blanking Seanie, I would love to see him back in a Cavan jersey - yes he went down in my opinion the way he try to bail the minute he was dropped and his carry on with the media. But if he knuckles down and plays his ball and learns from this he could be a massive asset again for Cavan football

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

He was in Newbridge today watching Kildare beat Derry. I'd read from that he's still hoping the transfer will go through.

Personally I'd kick the ****er back over to Cavan and I'm not alone thinking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I wouldn't call him a lu la, he is a decent coach in his own right, why anyone would want to take on the mantle of coach to Cavan is beyond me, their overall club structure is antiquated, they don't have the desire or determination from what I can see, possibly have some talent, but without effort they may as well be togging out for Kilkenny footballers

The club structure needs work alright, I'll give you that but an attempt at rehauling it is starting next year.

As for the rest of your post, why would anyone want to take over Cavan? Well, we reached an U21 All-Ireland final last year and an Ulster U21 club final the year before. We also won the minor title in Ulster last year.

That shows there are players coming through. Seven U21s from last year started against Tipp yesterday and a similar number also started the previous three league games. You only have to look at Damien Barkey to see how experience is helping these lads.

The oldest scorer against Sligo was 23 year old David Givney, a man who was captaining our U21s only two years ago. Now, I'll admit the Cavan manager's job is a poisioned chalice but there's plenty there to work with. Whereas your own county have nothing coming through so they are playing 39 year olds.

Now, if people want to discuss Cavan football, I'd suggest you move over to the Cavan GAA thread.

You couldn't make it up.

Yawn. Back again after you said you were going.
    Do yourself a favour and write a letter to Val with all your misinformed crap.

By the way, you were predicting relegation, Cavan now have 4 points after 4 games whereas Offaly and Tipp both have none. Guess you were wrong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

You couldn't make it up.
    tayto to be fair do you have to **** stir here constantly its unfair on those of us that want to discuss this subject in a civilised manner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

McGeeney has thrown a wobbler over the transfer not going through. Kildare planning an appeal. Should be a story running in the Indo tomorrow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

IMO if a player wants to go he should be just allowed to go, there's no point in holding on to him if he does not want to play for you. Kildare lost out on this in the past in the 1990, maybe they are due one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Stoner wrote: »
    IMO if a player wants to go he should be just allowed to go, there's no point in holding on to him if he does not want to play for you. Kildare lost out on this in the past in the 1990, maybe they are due one.
    For the umpteenth time.

That IS the rule!

All the player has to do is simply move to a new county and there is nothing an old club or county can do to prevent the move. It's an automatic approval.
    But you do have to really move.

With the lads that previously left Kildare they took up a new life, job and all in their new county. They were irrefutably no longer in Kildare. Case closed. Transfer request automatically approved.

Seanie though has job and many aspects of his life still in Cavan town and is finding it very difficult to convince that he has a new life in Kildare a two hour drive away from his job and centre of personal interest.

EDIT: I'd also mention that circumstantial stuff like a bank account in a place doesnt mean you live in a particular place. For instance I have bank accounts in Cavan, Belfast, Ballincollig and Boston (and another couple in Munich) but does prove that I live in any of the various places at this current moment?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

For the umpteenth time.

That IS the rule!

All the player has to do is simply move to a new county and there is nothing an old club or county can do to prevent the move. It's an automatic approval.
    But you do have to really move.

With the lads that previously left Kildare they took up a new life, job and all in their new county. They were irrefutably no longer in Kildare. Case closed. Transfer request automatically approved.

your point being?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

McGeeney angered by Johnston situation

13 March 2012

Seanie Johnston and Kieran McGeeney
    Kildare boss Kieran McGeeney thinks Seanie Johnston is getting a raw deal from the GAA.

After the former Cavan star was refused his transfer from Cavan Gaels to St Kevin's in Kildare by the CCCC, McGeeney questioned whether all transfers are subjected to the same rigorous investigations as Johnston's has been:

"It's an appeal now," he says in the Independent. "The appeals thing usually gives the same decision as Croke Park. The DRA at least is an independent body.

"People have their own opinion about it but he's given enough things. It's enough for the police, it's enough for the banks, it's enough for everybody else but not for the GAA.

"It's their call. The fella just wants to play football. It's very frustrating for him.

"It's a wonder now because they didn't look as close at a lot of other transfers between club and county around the country this year. It would be nice to see if they looked as close. You say this and people think you're being smart, but you're not.

"Cavan said they didn't want him, his club have given him a transfer. If it's anybody else, it'd be done and dusted."

Your post sounds as if you believe Cavan are stopping him. Cavan are not. They have given the all-clear for the transfer to go ahead but they do need to abide by GAA rules so they have referred it to headquarters as they, quite correctly, do not believe that the player is living in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Lemlin wrote: »
    Your post sounds as if you believe Cavan are stopping him. Cavan are not. They have given the all-clear for the transfer to go ahead but they do need to abide by GAA rules so they have referred it to headquarters as they, quite correctly, do not believe that the player is living in Kildare.
    thats the point I was making.

If you read the rules nobody can stop a lad transfering who has (really) moved from one county to another, not Cavan not the CCCCCCCCCC.

your point being?

I'm sure his point is that Sean Johnston does not live or work in Kildare.

EDIT: I'd also mention that circumstantial stuff like a bank account in a place doesnt mean you live in a particular place. For instance I have bank accounts in Cavan, Belfast, Ballincollig and Boston (and another couple in Munich) but does prove that I live in any of the various places at this current moment?
    Lend us a few quid then will ya ;)

Lend us a few quid then will ya ;)
    join the long line lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Despite reports to the contrary, Seanie Johnston's move to Kildare is not dead in the water yet!

The GAA's CCCC turned down Johnston's request to transfer from Cavan to Kildare, and it looked as if the move was finished.

However, speculation is growing that the Cavan footballer may be about to take the case to the DRA, if the Central Hearings Committee uphold the CCCC decision.

The ongoing saga has been rumbling on since last January and all parties concerned are hoping that it will be completed one way or another in the near future.

I'll tell ya now the DRA will grant this transfer!!
    I cant wait to see him play with kildare.

Looks as though the DRA will make a decision in favour of the transfer. All the criteria for the transfer to go through have been met so only a matter of time now. The fact that people are saying "we believe he's still in Cavan etc" is irrelevant as sufficient evidence has been provided proving Johnston now lives in Kildare.

No way they can justifiably stop it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Simple way to solve it, get one of the nationals to stick a pap outside his new house in Straffan and make sure that he's actually living there :D

At this stage, it's just beyond boring!

• Advertisement

dcr22B wrote: »
    Simple way to solve it, get one of the nationals to stick a pap outside his new house in Straffan and make sure that he's actually living there :D

At this stage, it's just beyond boring!
    YOU SHOULD SERIOUSLY STALK HIS HOUSE DCR ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement