Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Options
1111214161738

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol


    The above has been pointed out countless times yet no one seems to have any comeback whatsoever to it.
    So can someone explain why a (presumably not too highly paid) teacher would move from the doorstep of the school in which they teach to a place 2 hours and 3 tolls away?

    All for the honour of wearing the All White jersey. Why wouldn't he. He's a privileged man.:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ebbsy


    No point in going to the flourbags. Kildare require players who can score goals, Johnston scores points.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT


    Archer he wants to commute as Kildare and particularly stead fan is a beautiful area!!

    Plus he can wear the lily white jersey that's reason alone!!!


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks


    Straffan is the home of the K-Club and Johnston is a huge golf fan!


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks


    ebbsy wrote: »
    No point in going to the flourbags. Kildare require players who can score goals, Johnston scores points.
    Well if he scores 3 points thats a goal ain't it? :rolleyes:

    That would be funny if you weren't from Wicklow.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone


    The above has been pointed out countless times yet no one seems to have any comeback whatsoever to it.
    So can someone explain why a (presumably not too highly paid) teacher would move from the doorstep of the school in which they teach to a place 2 hours and 3 tolls away?

    Is he not in a relationship with a Kildare woman?? Thought I had read that somewhere.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks


    Is he not in a relationship with a Kildare woman?? Thought I had read that somewhere.
    No he is not.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT


    He likes fishing and the Liffey passes at straffan beside k club


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad


    Has Michael Lyng returned to the Cavan panel? I hear Andrews has taken a dislike to him as well, Lyng and Johnston are probably the best two footballers in Cavan. It's a sad indictment on Val Andrews.


    Haven't heard about Lyng returning. I don't understand this talk of Andrews taking a dislike to players and from what I heard there is no discontent in the panel!! I really wish we could move on from the Johnston stuff - he's gone end off. The crap that has been talked around the county since the game against Wexford is unbelievable - Johnston isn't a defender or a goalkeeper so how he would have prevented 4 goals is beyond me. You wont win games conceding 4 goals.

    There is also an unbelievable arrogance that really annoys me about some Cavan supporters that still think we are better than teams like Wexford - fact is we are not and are in the bottom 7/8 county teams in the country - with or without Johnston.

    We have had this for way too long in Cavan, build up team to a ridiculous level based on very little, act with shock when we have a poor league or get knocked out of the championship, turn our arses at the qualifiers because they are beneath us, then round on the manager!!! Look where this has got us in the last twenty years - it has to stop.

    I would say that the current situation shows that Andrews has the guts to take on the so called superstar on the panel that doesn't appear to be committed to the cause. Remember the debacle in Cork two years ago or the Oxegen incident!!! I for one will back Andrews in any decision he makes that leads to a united/ disciplined team that goes on the pitch and fights for the jersey. Its a young team that has to make its mistakes and losing to Wexford in Wexford in February is no disgrace - lets move on and back the team and the manager and hopefully we might get a bit of pride back in the jersey. We've tried the other way and it doesn't work.

    Sorry Mickysticks this is not a rant against you - just quoted your post because of the reference to Lyng. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Ballocavendish


    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Haven't heard about Lyng returning. I don't understand this talk of Andrews taking a dislike to players and from what I heard there is no discontent in the panel!! I really wish we could move on from the Johnston stuff - he's gone end off. The crap that has been talked around the county since the game against Wexford is unbelievable - Johnston isn't a defender or a goalkeeper so how he would have prevented 4 goals is beyond me. You wont win games conceding 4 goals.

    There is also an unbelievable arrogance that really annoys me about some Cavan supporters that still think we are better than teams like Wexford - fact is we are not and are in the bottom 7/8 county teams in the country - with or without Johnston.

    We have had this for way too long in Cavan, build up team to a ridiculous level based on very little, act with shock when we have a poor league or get knocked out of the championship, turn our arses at the qualifiers because they are beneath us, then round on the manager!!! Look where this has got us in the last twenty years - it has to stop.

    I would say that the current situation shows that Andrews has the guts to take on the so called superstar on the panel that doesn't appear to be committed to the cause. Remember the debacle in Cork two years ago or the Oxegen incident!!! I for one will back Andrews in any decision he makes that leads to a united/ disciplined team that goes on the pitch and fights for the jersey. Its a young team that has to make its mistakes and losing to Wexford in Wexford in February is no disgrace - lets move on and back the team and the manager and hopefully we might get a bit of pride back in the jersey. We've tried the other way and it doesn't work.

    Sorry Mickysticks this is not a rant against you - just quoted your post because of the reference to Lyng. :)


    What is this oxegen incident you talk about??


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks




  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Haven't heard about Lyng returning. I don't understand this talk of Andrews taking a dislike to players and from what I heard there is no discontent in the panel!! I really wish we could move on from the Johnston stuff - he's gone end off. The crap that has been talked around the county since the game against Wexford is unbelievable - Johnston isn't a defender or a goalkeeper so how he would have prevented 4 goals is beyond me. You wont win games conceding 4 goals.

    There is also an unbelievable arrogance that really annoys me about some Cavan supporters that still think we are better than teams like Wexford - fact is we are not and are in the bottom 7/8 county teams in the country - with or without Johnston.

    We have had this for way too long in Cavan, build up team to a ridiculous level based on very little, act with shock when we have a poor league or get knocked out of the championship, turn our arses at the qualifiers because they are beneath us, then round on the manager!!! Look where this has got us in the last twenty years - it has to stop.

    I would say that the current situation shows that Andrews has the guts to take on the so called superstar on the panel that doesn't appear to be committed to the cause. Remember the debacle in Cork two years ago or the Oxegen incident!!! I for one will back Andrews in any decision he makes that leads to a united/ disciplined team that goes on the pitch and fights for the jersey. Its a young team that has to make its mistakes and losing to Wexford in Wexford in February is no disgrace - lets move on and back the team and the manager and hopefully we might get a bit of pride back in the jersey. We've tried the other way and it doesn't work.

    Sorry Mickysticks this is not a rant against you - just quoted your post because of the reference to Lyng. :)

    Your post is very good but it still does not answer my question -- Were all other options tried before these players were dropped off the Cavan panel ? Did the manager sit down with them and tell them what he expected and what his standards were ? My questions are not about Andrews as a manager but more about his man management. If he tried all options to keep his senior players on board and they broke the rules then he is right to have dropped them but if he didn't then his man management skills are again lacking just like when he was over Louth. I would really like to know. If someone was dropped on a 10 second phonecall then it seems unfair to me as I believe they should have been sat down and informed properly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1


    Your post is very good but it still does not answer my question -- Were all other options tried before these players were dropped off the Cavan panel ? Did the manager sit down with them and tell them what he expected and what his standards were ? My questions are not about Andrews as a manager but more about his man management. If he tried all options to keep his senior players on board and they broke the rules then he is right to have dropped them but if he didn't then his man management skills are again lacking just like when he was over Louth. I would really like to know. If someone was dropped on a 10 second phonecall then it seems unfair to me as I believe they should have been sat down and informed properly.

    There has for many years been a problem with 'player power' in Cavan. This has been evidenced publicly on many occasions. I would put alot the current unrest down to the same thing. Most of their recent championships have been disrupted by the big time charlie attitudes and this has been put in the public domain by more than 1 ex manager. I remember reading a long article by their former manager Keogan who was in disbelief at the attitude of players in comparison to the under 21's who he had previously managed.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad


    Your post is very good but it still does not answer my question -- Were all other options tried before these players were dropped off the Cavan panel ? Did the manager sit down with them and tell them what he expected and what his standards were ? My questions are not about Andrews as a manager but more about his man management. If he tried all options to keep his senior players on board and they broke the rules then he is right to have dropped them but if he didn't then his man management skills are again lacking just like when he was over Louth. I would really like to know. If someone was dropped on a 10 second phonecall then it seems unfair to me as I believe they should have been sat down and informed properly.

    I guess we will never know what really happened but a lot of people in Cavan were not surprised that it came to this. You seem to be puzzled as to why Cavan fans are not jumping up and down above losing our star player to another county - simple truth is this poor attitude has been going on for years in Cavan football and if some of the stories about the behaviour of some of the squad over the years are true then I say fair play Andrews - about time someone took a stand.

    Not trying to be funny with you but your difficulty in understanding our backing th manager is that you are judging this situation by "normal" standards - vast majority of Cavan fans are sick and tired of poor discipline and attitude of players over the years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    Tom Joad wrote: »
    I guess we will never know what really happened but a lot of people in Cavan were not surprised that it came to this. You seem to be puzzled as to why Cavan fans are not jumping up and down above losing our star player to another county - simple truth is this poor attitude has been going on for years in Cavan football and if some of the stories about the behaviour of some of the squad over the years are true then I say fair play Andrews - about time someone took a stand.

    Not trying to be funny with you but your difficulty in understanding our backing th manager is that you are judging this situation by "normal" standards - vast majority of Cavan fans are sick and tired of poor discipline and attitude of players over the years.

    O.K. then we will never know and thanks for answering without attacking me like another poster from your county.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight


    O.K. then we will never know and thanks for answering without attacking me like another poster from your county.

    That has been dealt with so please drop it now. If you don't like other peoples posts then put them on ignore, but goading them is not the answer. This is the second and last time that I will warn you on this thread.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    That has been dealt with so please drop it now. If you don't like other peoples posts then put them on ignore, but goading them is not the answer. This is the second and last time that I will warn you on this thread.

    Good man yourself. You're a breath of hot air.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight


    Good man yourself. You're a breath of hot air.

    Fair enough, enjoy your ban


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    O.K. then we will never know and thanks for answering without attacking me like another poster from your county.

    I 'attacked' you because there's no doubting you have an agenda. No matter what response was given you came back with the same question but worded differently.

    The people of Cavan are weighing in behind Andrews. He mightn't be a great manager, or tactician, but he is doing what has been required for a long time and the fact that he has the bravery to do it is enough for most.

    As Tom Joad put it so brilliantly, Cavan are a long way from going down South and beating a team who made the Leinster final last year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    Has Michael Lyng returned to the Cavan panel? I hear Andrews has taken a dislike to him as well, Lyng and Johnston are probably the best two footballers in Cavan. It's a sad indictment on Val Andrews.

    And where did you get that opinion from? Lyng was a great talent a few years back but injuries meant he lost alot of his speed and he's nowhere near the footballer he should have been.

    He's in no way one of the best footballers in Cavan. I was surprised to see him back in the panel last year and I didn't have him in my proposed starting 15 for the championship last year either.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    Your post is very good but it still does not answer my question -- Were all other options tried before these players were dropped off the Cavan panel ? Did the manager sit down with them and tell them what he expected and what his standards were ? My questions are not about Andrews as a manager but more about his man management. If he tried all options to keep his senior players on board and they broke the rules then he is right to have dropped them but if he didn't then his man management skills are again lacking just like when he was over Louth. I would really like to know. If someone was dropped on a 10 second phonecall then it seems unfair to me as I believe they should have been sat down and informed properly.

    I don't see how you can make an assertion that all other options were not explored - these lads were a full year working with the panel so Val knows them and their attitude towards Cavan GAA now. It's not like he walked in, said I don't like the look of these lads, and dropped them.

    I'd imagine over the entire course of the year last year he talked the entire panel, including these players, through what was expected. So they should be well aware of what's expected.

    Val went out of his way to make the calls out of courtesy. The panel was entirely disbanded last year by letter. He didn't need to ring these lads but chose to out of courtesy.

    The ten second phone call - who is to say who hung up on who? Johnston was obviously already annoyed because he knew the call was coming but I can't see why Lyng would be given a reason and Johnston wouldn't, unless he ended the call himself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    Lemlin wrote: »
    I 'attacked' you because there's no doubting you have an agenda. No matter what response was given you came back with the same question but worded differently.

    The people of Cavan are weighing in behind Andrews. He mightn't be a great manager, or tactician, but he is doing what has been required for a long time and the fact that he has the bravery to do it is enough for most.

    As Tom Joad put it so brilliantly, Cavan are a long way from going down South and beating a team who made the Leinster final last year.

    And what did any of you say about Longford who are just up from Division 4 and again beat Cavan in their own backyard and only allowed them to score 7 points ? You could have been doing with Sean |Johnston for sure. Yes Andrews is your saviour alright. I have no agenda except to say that he will ruin Cavan just like he ruined Louth for a long time. He gets rid of anyone who questions his decisions. The man hasn't a clue but again don't pass any remarks of what I say and continue to follow blindly. When he has you in Division 4 you might realise just how good he is. Div 4 and your best players gone or disillusioned is the way forward for you under him it seems as you like him and trust him so much.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer


    The CCCC will decide on this tomorrow supposedly. If he's living in Kildare then there should be no problem in him providing bills/rental agreement to prove that and he'll probably get the transfer.
    Assuming he is, surely Andrews dropping him from the Cavan panel was the best thing for him as it would have been impossible for him to travel to Cavan regularly for training.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    And what did any of you say about Longford who are just up from Division 4 and again beat Cavan in their own backyard and only allowed them to score 7 points ? You could have been doing with Sean |Johnston for sure. Yes Andrews is your saviour alright. I have no agenda except to say that he will ruin Cavan just like he ruined Louth for a long time. He gets rid of anyone who questions his decisions. The man hasn't a clue but again don't pass any remarks of what I say and continue to follow blindly. When he has you in Division 4 you might realise just how good he is. Div 4 and your best players gone or disillusioned is the way forward for you under him it seems as you like him and trust him so much.

    And why exactly could we have been doing with Seanie Johnston for sure? Cavan lost 2-16 to 0-11 to Longford last year with Johnston playing. He scored 3 points, 2 from frees. So Cavan lost by 3 points on Saturday and by 12 when Johnston played last year. So, again, I fail to see your point?

    And, I'll ask again, what's your agenda here? Other than to endlessly come onto the thread and complain about Val Andrews. Cavan were in Division 3 when Val arrived and hopefully we'll stay in Division 3. To be honest, Division 3 is our level.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover


    Lemlin wrote: »
    And why exactly could we have been doing with Seanie Johnston for sure? Cavan lost 2-16 to 0-11 to Longford last year with Johnston playing. He scored 3 points, 2 from frees. So Cavan lost by 3 points on Saturday and by 12 when Johnston played last year. So, again, I fail to see your point?

    And, I'll ask again, what's your agenda here? Other than to endlessly come onto the thread and complain about Val Andrews. Cavan were in Division 3 when Val arrived and hopefully we'll stay in Division 3. To be honest, Division 3 is our level.

    How many times will you ignore my point that Andrews is a bad man manager and a dictator ?
    You choose to ignore that fact by stating that some of your players were a bad influence in the dressingroom. Yet when those players were let go by Andrews things don't improve. You also say that Cavan supporters are behind Andrews but from reading the Cavan Hogan Stand boards that is not the case either.
    I see another Cavan player walked away from Andrews now too, Mc Cutheon, and there will be more, just like what happened in Louth.
    But don't mind me continue to follow like lemmings or should it be Lemlins.
    Cavan need all the good players they can get. Fact. Division 4 beckons and then you will be happy. I know a lot of Cavan supporters and they are not happy at all with the situation and I actually spoke to two who were at the game on Sat and they are disgusted with the lack of know-how from the sideline during the game. But again continue to be happy while watching your new crop of good players being ruined by an inept manager with zero qualities.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    How many times will you ignore my point that Andrews is a bad man manager and a dictator ?
    You choose to ignore that fact by stating that some of your players were a bad influence in the dressingroom. Yet when those players were let go by Andrews things don't improve. You also say that Cavan supporters are behind Andrews but from reading the Cavan Hogan Stand boards that is not the case either.
    I see another Cavan player walked away from Andrews now too, Mc Cutheon, and there will be more, just like what happened in Louth.
    But don't mind me continue to follow like lemmings or should it be Lemlins.
    Cavan need all the good players they can get. Fact. Division 4 beckons and then you will be happy. I know a lot of Cavan supporters and they are not happy at all with the situation and I actually spoke to two who were at the game on Sat and they are disgusted with the lack of know-how from the sideline during the game. But again continue to be happy while watching your new crop of good players being ruined by an inept manager with zero qualities.

    How did things not improve? Cavan lost by 12 points last year to Longford. They lost by 3 this year. Is that not an improvement or am I missing something?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks


    Lemlin wrote: »
    How did things not improve? Cavan lost by 12 points last year to Longford. They lost by 3 this year. Is that not an improvement or am I missing something?
    So you think they have improved since Andrews decided to drop Johnston, by far the best player Cavan had in recent years? Give me a break FFS.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur


    So you think they have improved since Andrews decided to drop Johnston, by far the best player Cavan had in recent years? Give me a break FFS.

    Johnston had to be dropped because of his steadfast refusal to buy into the team-ethic and his self-appointed star status. He was un-coachable, he refused to do what was asked, demanded, ordered off him.

    How could you have a team manager demanding 100% from all but one of his panel?

    How could you have Johnston demanding special rights and privileges?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks


    Gophur wrote: »
    Johnston had to be dropped because of his steadfast refusal to buy into the team-ethic and his self-appointed star status. He was un-coachable, he refused to do what was asked, demanded, ordered off him.

    How could you have a team manager demanding 100% from all but one of his panel?

    How could you have Johnston demanding special rights and privileges?
    Eh who said he was a "self appointed star", "un-coachable", "demanding" and "un co-operative"? Did members of the Cavan panel tell you this personally or are you just taking wild guesses?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone


    Gophur wrote: »
    Johnston had to be dropped because of his steadfast refusal to buy into the team-ethic and his self-appointed star status. He was un-coachable, he refused to do what was asked, demanded, ordered off him.

    How could you have Johnston demanding special rights and privileges?

    Wow thats a pretty serious allegation you are making against Johnson, have you anything to back it up?? Not asaying you are incorrect btw, just would like to know what you are basing this on.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement