Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Ante Post Pick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Not sure it depends how he does in his next race. Martin said he can go any distance from 2 to 3 so mid have to wait until the final declaration stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Hurricane Fly and Scotsirish are my bets for the festival.

I reckon The Westener Boy if he goes for CB will put up a fair show, in JP's colours....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

ft9 wrote: »
    I reckon The Westener Boy if he goes for CB will put up a fair show, in JP's colours....

Did JP buy The Westerner Boy? Does Mags Mullins still train it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Apparently he was bought after his last bumper.

I've said it before: Scotsirish is the banker. Get on today at 7/2 while you can, he goes at Punchestown

Did JP buy The Westerner Boy? Does Mags Mullins still train it?

Yes, so I am told. Unsure whats happening with trainer.

He's a very good horse.

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Apparently he was bought after his last bumper.

I've said it before: Scotsirish is the banker. Get on today at 7/2 while you can, he goes at Punchestown

Hope your right, I'm on at 4's, doubled with Hurricane Fly 2/1.

For me Hurricane Fly wins. If Scotsirish can do it, I have a nice payday.

I just asked Boyles, gave me 3/1 on him.

Why must they be so **** when they're the only crowd I've money with at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

Not keen on Scotsirish at all.

The X country isn't the best race to be picking out a festival banker in either.

I agree in a way with you Huntey, but for me Scots should win, 4/1 was too big and doubled with Hurricane at 2's, who will win, its a fantastic bet.

€60 returning €900.

Huntey wrote: »
    Not keen on Scotsirish at all.

The X country isn't the best race to be picking out a festival banker in either.

Who do you fancy in it?

• Advertisement

Who do you fancy in it?

I don't really fancy anybody in it, reason being I find it difficult to judge these horses. They aren't good enough for "proper races" (for lack of a better term) so you are essentially picking the best of the worst.

The X country serves very little purpose and is the worst betting proposition of the festival imo.

Can't agree with that.

For a horse to be able to win over 3 mile 7 and still finish within seven lengths of Big Zeb I wouldn't say he's not able to win ''proper races''.
    However, a lot of the horses in it are poor, hence it's relatively easy to pick out winners. I'd say it's one of the better betting races of the festival.

Do you not agree Huntey that double to pay €900 is fantastic value?

Do you not agree Huntey that double to pay €900 is fantastic value?

I think value is a relative term ft9, value to one person may not be to another but in this case I would agree it is a valuable bet.

I think you are essentially waiting for a 15/1 single on Scotsirish which I would consider decent value. However, I would have found a different 4/1 shot to include in the double. So whilst the bet is valuable in my opinion I would not be interested in getting involved in it.

A valuable bet is not necessarily a good bet imo.
    Can't agree with that.

For a horse to be able to win over 3 mile 7 and still finish within seven lengths of Big Zeb I wouldn't say he's not able to win ''proper races''.

99% of the horses in the X country are there because they have lost their way a little. I would be pretty sure that connections felt the same about Scotsirish, and if you have a quick glance at his form from last season when he was being beaten in handicaps it supports that claim.
    However, a lot of the horses in it are poor, hence it's relatively easy to pick out winners. I'd say it's one of the better betting races of the festival.

There is no horse in the race that is a good horse in my opinion. As I said, you are essentially trying to pick the best of the worst which isn't what racing should be about. Nobody breeds a horse thinking that it will be a future X country winner.

I actually agree with everything in that post Huntey, your spot on.

I like my bet though and am quite confident of it.

That's fair enough Huntey, but you mention his poor form last season- a grade A handicap win off top weight doesn't strike me as particularly poor.

We'll agree to disagree.

I like my bet though and am quite confident of it.

Good, I hope it wins for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

If ground comes up heavy back Berties Dream 40/1 with PP for RSA.He runs in two weeks in Navan.This horse has had a very successful operation on his neck and is a very different horse,he is flying.He is my nap for Cheltanham.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eoghan_85

My God I hope your right on that one Sting60! Have felt obliged to back that horse every time I've seen him since he made me a killing in the Albert Bartlet 2 years ago!
    Does anyone fancy Finian Rainbow's prospect in the Queen Mother? Second to Captain Chris in the Arkle last yr and pretty good Cheltenham record to boot. Sizing Europe was impressive alright today but I think Finians R would be a better value bet on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

eoghan_85 wrote: »
    My God I hope your right on that one Sting60! Have felt obliged to back that horse every time I've seen him since he made me a killing in the Albert Bartlet 2 years ago!
    Does anyone fancy Finian Rainbow's prospect in the Queen Mother? Second to Captain Chris in the Arkle last yr and pretty good Cheltenham record to boot. Sizing Europe was impressive alright today but I think Finians R would be a better value bet on the day

I'd love to see captain chris go for champion chase now..I have my doubts he'll even go to chelt. Finians rainbow is a good value bet but I think you'll get better value out of somersby if your looking for a place with potential. Henrietta K Preference is the ryanair from what i gathered from interviews but if he goes CC thats great alue i thibk. He's beaten FR fair enough in a course he loves but, he's decent form around Cheltenham. He blundered 3 out in chelt last year an was prominent at the time. Faded out after the mistake. Don't get me wrong I think Sizing will cream the rest unless Captain chris is thrown in but for 14-1 somersby I think is a good place an who knows what they'll do after the race today with sizing Europe and big zeb.

Looking at tearing the jewson apart now.. So far champion court and solix are standing out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm fine with the cross country. It's a bit of light relief after the sheer rollercoaster/wet dream of the Supreme, Arkle and Champion Hurdle preceding it.

When I was in Cheltenham it was the part of the day where we went inside, had a small bet for an interest, sat down and got a couple of pints in

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I'm fine with the cross country. It's a bit of light relief after the sheer rollercoaster/wet dream of the Supreme, Arkle and Champion Hurdle preceding it.

When I was in Cheltenham it was the part of the day where we went inside, had a small bet for an interest, sat down and got a couple of pints in

I don't really mind it either as some people like the spectacle of it, but it has very little purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

eoghan_85 wrote: »

Could you elaborate on this one? He's only run there twice, and failed to get home properly on both occasions. He was tanking along in front in the Arkle last year and couldn't get up the hill. The previous year he was never a factor behind Peddlers Cross and Reve di Sivola. He's a lovely horse but a pure pig when he hits the front. He won't have a chance of staying with Sizing Europe imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Looks like First Lieutenant is Pricewise for the RSA.

Mark Howard tipped it too, at 16/1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Looks like First Lieutenant is Pricewise for the RSA.

Mark Howard tipped it too, at 16/1

Only 9's with PP now !

On current form FL doesn't jump well enough to win the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Hoofer

Hoofer wrote: »
    First Lieutenant 20-1 RSA chase, out of presenting so better ground a major factor for this horse,backed him heavily in neptune last year, backed china rock in 2009, came 4th, backed venalmar 2008, came 2nd by a neck..i nearly collapsed watching it from the club enclosure..gutted.F L is proven around cheltenham, mouse will relish the challenge to improve his jumping and to have him spot on for the day and have a right crack at it..thats why Davy Russell wont get off him for any other Gigginstown horse..hes thinking ahead to the olympics...get on lads:)

Don't worry Mouse will have him jumping like a stag..Proper Cheltenham horse:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

This fourfold is gone from 16/1 (I posted it on the gambling forum about two weeks ago) to 9/1 with Boyles.

Sizing Europe
    Quevega
    Big Buck's
    Hurricane Fly

Just put €20 on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

This fourfold is gone from 16/1 (I posted it on the gambling forum about two weeks ago) to 9/1 with Boyles.

Sizing Europe
    Quevega
    Big Buck's
    Hurricane Fly

Just put €20 on it.

stable.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

I would rather Gavins bet than the one I did in December, like a greedy **** I threw in Hidden Cyclone.

Advertisement