Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

anyone here who has lowered a car before, is there any tips or things to be mindful of?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

anyone here who has lowered a car before, is there any tips or things to be mindful of?

Yeah. Don't just chop the springs shorter. Get proper lowering springs. I'd avoid cheap coil-overs. Actually in Ireland I'd avoid coil-overs entirely.

Depending on how much you lower the car, you also need harder shocks.

And you will have to ensure, that there is no scuffing in the arches. Otherwise you'll have to get the arches modified or rolled.

What car are you lowering ? And how much ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

A few obvious ones...

Don't let the car fall on yourself

Put the correct springs on the front/rear

Don't kill yourself with a compressed spring....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Mmm lowering that Astra on those alloys is gonna make it look like quite a nice car. :)

Would you sell it as a lowered car or can you put the original springs back in? You're thinking of selling right?

Sorry Marlow I have the springs already, its an Eibach pro kit that lowers 30mm all-round for my astra h.

good man CM :D

i dont know, its such a small drop i may just leave them on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What's the benefit of lowering the suspension?

Idiot question I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Stheno wrote: »

Firmer ride, sharpens up the handling and it makes the car look a lot better :)

Sorry Marlow I have the springs already, its an Eibach pro kit that lowers 30mm all-round for my astra h.

good man CM :D

i dont know, its such a small drop i may just leave them on.

That should be fairly straight forward. Same applies as with fitting normal springs. CM's advise was dead on there. You might need to get the arches rolled, but probably not.
    Stheno wrote: »

Not really an idiot question. Lowering the car will give better handling. The springs are also stiffer.

Besides that, the car looks a bit more settled. Better stance of it.

/M

the guy im doing it with has taken and put engines back together with his brother but has never lowered a car. he does a mechanics course in college too so we should be ok, is one axle stand enough with 2 trolley jacks?

legends http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=217591 :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks guys, don't fancy it on my car, it's low and firm enough as it is, but then I do be a novice :)

• Advertisement

the guy im doing it with has taken and put engines back together with his brother but has never lowered a car.

What you're doing is the same as if you were to replace the springs with new ones. The lowering part doesn't matter really.

The Eibach springs should make a nice improvement on the handling. I have sport shocks and Eibach Pro springs in the Caravelle, which also resultet in a 45 mm lowering.

Serious change to how the bus handles. Been out-handling some poor fecker in his Bora on the N52 between Mullingar and Dundalk and that was before the bus was chipped. He must have been loosing the plot. Every straight he'd catch up with me, every corner I'd loose him. Simply because he couldn't take the corners as sharp. Out-run by a van :D

/M

............ is one axle stand enough with 2 trolley jacks?.............

I'd sooner have two stands really if more than one corner of the car is off the ground, trolley jacks shouldn't be considered as supports, they lift the car, car should sit on stands :)

Seriously, don't be complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Marlow wrote: »
    I use yellow stuff on the M5 and I'm well happy with them.
    How do they handle the first cold braking in the morning, before warm up?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    How do they handle the first cold braking in the morning, before warm up?

They can feel a bit harsh and squeeky, but in general no complaints there either. Braking is no problem.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Lowered a few in my time... ;)

What roads will you be driving on the most? Bad? Forget it! It will break your heart... Motorway, national roads etc you won't notice the difference.

People often spout on about rubbing on arches. In most cases the et on the wheels is not suitable for the drop they chose. Check your arches anyway

Personally I wouldn't go lower than 50mm (although I really like my 60/40 on the van and even lower looks better despite impracticalities) go for pro streets (Punto has em, Van has unknown lowering springs)

Bad weather won't affect you too much. In the winter of 2010 I drove my lowered Punto on low profiles as my everyday car and had no problems in the snow or ice. 4x4? Pah!

Certain speedbumps are ****. Be weary of going down country roads at speed, some grass humps in the centre can rub the underside (I know a chap who lowered a Toledo and smashed 2 sumps on backroads in Kerry)

If you can, coilovers are they way to go :D

I wanna get lowering springs for the Alfa someday :D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The Eibach Pro Kits are being installed all over the shop! Im doing mine saturday and CM might be joining me to do his too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Spotted this in the "You laugh you lose thread"

189906.jpg

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

4Twmj.jpg

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Oh the MPS is in mind but money for racing is more important than money for a daily at the minute

On a related note, I was looking at that red 3MPS on carzone and I have come to the conclusion that it would be a bad buy - It's basically poverty spec on the inside.

1. It will be limited to 180kph
    2. It doesn't have a built-in stereo - you can see an argos job in the pics
    3. No steering wheel controls
    4. It could be expensive or hard to insure being a jap import
    5. Probably no service history
    6. Big chance it could well be clocked

No wonder it's been for sale for such a long time. To reitterate what EPM said "Most pointless import ever".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

MugMugs great sig! lol only noticed it today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

^^^^
    cant thank one twice Metzgermeister, the exact reason when i had the money 2 years ago and i strolled on by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Side car Hearse, N7

motorcyclehearse3.jpg

motorcyclehearse2.jpg

lol

^ cops have to spoil a bit of fun as usual :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

There's a youtube thread for that kind of thing (and it's already posted there :p )

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056526671&page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

130 each for a Bridgestone 215 55 17 Turnanza each. And that's cheap across the board! Wtf is going on with tyre prices??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I know someone who works in a tyre place and he said like everything else tyres are going up in price. The tyres they buy in are gone up 5 to 10%. Probably related to cost of oil etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

MugMugs wrote: »
    130 each for a Bridgestone 215 55 17 Turnanza each. And that's cheap across the board! Wtf is going on with tyre prices??

I thought they were getting cheaper of late

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

johnos1984 wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »

I thought they were getting cheaper of late

So did I. My guy was telling me he's getting Bridge cheaper than firestone.... Generally he doesn't act the maggot but I was pretty speechless when he came out with that one. Checked his stock and low and behold, No firestones. :confused:

• Advertisement

I'm getting two grade a part worns for my car and they are 50 each fitted and balanced, forget the measurements, but they were a decent spec.

That was from tyreireland?

My car has gone off for a rest prior to half the engine being redone :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement