Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Association of Catholic Priests accuses media of being anti-Catholic and anti-priest.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

5 mins of google. Have not seen em yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

As long as the RCC refuse to be transparent then people will always be wary of them, the only point they have is self preservation!

The way they see the world is that people have to suffer so they can exist and until they change this and many other draconian principles then the media have a right to scrutinise them and those like them and once the media have the facts right and correct then the church should keep quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

No honestly lads, the money was just resting in my account...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

The Association of Catolic priests can suck my atheist balls:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

How about instead of resorting to mindless church bashing we all read what's being said and actually give it some proper thought.

The media does tend to focus on the clergy when it comes child abuse whether people like to admit or not.

Just look what they did to Fr. Kevin Reynolds.

• Advertisement

How about instead of resorting to mindless church bashing we all read what's being said and actually give it some proper thought.

The media does tend to focus on the clergy when it comes child abuse whether people like to admit or not.

Just look what they did to Fr. Kevin Reynolds.

Sorry but they are just taking advantage of a priest being proved innocent, they deserve to be watched and scrutinised by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

billybudd wrote: »
    Sorry but they are just taking advantage of a priest being proved innocent, they deserve to be watched and scrutinised by the media.

Some of them do, not all of them.

Lets drop the self righteousness, it does no-one any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Reminded me of this....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Personally don't go to mass-religious etc, but there is a strong anti-catholic,anti church bias within the irish media,and on boards.ie i must say.

If the church were poor there wouldn't be half the media coverage IMO.

Not defending the ones moving priests around, but defending the ones that fed,clothed,and educated the less well off in society, especially in Ireland over the last 100 odd years.- never mind the work they did and do in third world countries that so called captains of industry ignore.

The hypocrisy is staggering.

Theres animals everywhere- shame the same scrutiny isn't used on our Health,Welfare and Education systems as the Church,by Media and ordinary Joe Soaps as well.

Its hip to hate the church.

past history and present dictates that the church needs to be closely monitored, self righteousness does not come into it, its common sense.

The fact is the church has failed good priests by not being transparent and not fixing problems within, without the media it would continue to harbour and hide deviants.

I believe in God and i believe good priests have the highest proper intentions, i also believe those in the vulnurable position to be in need of such services that the church provide should have a watchdog to protect them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yes all of them. If they have nothing to hide, they have nothing to fear.

thebullkf wrote: »
    Personally don't go to mass-religious etc, but there is a strong anti-catholic,anti church bias within the irish media,and on boards.ie i must say.

If the church were poor there wouldn't be half the media coverage IMO.

Not defending the ones moving priests around, but defending the ones that fed,clothed,and educated the less well off in society, especially in Ireland over the last 100 odd years.- never mind the work they did and do in third world countries that so called captains of industry ignore.

The hypocrisy is staggering.

Theres animals everywhere- shame the same scrutiny isn't used on our Health,Welfare and Education systems as the Church,by Media and ordinary Joe Soaps as well.

Its hip to hate the church.

Because they have put themselves in a position of mistrust. you cannot undo attrocities over night and they will have to prove they have changed and put victims before reputation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

billybudd wrote: »
    Because they have put themselves in a position of mistrust. you cannot undo attrocities over night and they will have to prove they have changed and put victims before reputation.

So basically that gives the media and any wingnut with a chip on his shoulder to attack the church forever.

The church should be rightly castigated for abuse of children and victims should be compensated, get their day in court, perpetrators should be punished and the whole truth should come out.

But the language used and the aggression shown toward Catholics being used at the moment goes beyond justice and has turned into open persecution, bigotry, hysteria and hatred.

I'm an atheist but I support religious freedom and as I see it the religious freedoms of Catholics are being trampled on by liberal atheist extremists in the media and politics. They seem to have a complete contempt for any religious practice whatsoever. There is also a vile intolerance and bigotry among young people.

I was on my way home from work a few months ago and I witnessed a man screaming into the face of a priest outside Trinity College. The priest looked terrified while other people passed him doing nothing. Students were standing around laughing. I am ashamed that I did not step in and kick the hysteric in the balls like I should of done.

I reminded me of a scene in Schindler's List when a rabbi had his locks cut off by a group of SS men. The laughter and the contempt I saw toward the priest chilled me to the core.

If the church or a priest is wrongly acused just like fr.reynolds then they will clear they're name through the courts, like good and bad priests there is good and bad media.

It is vital that the media act as a watchdog and history dictates that government cannot be trusted.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    The Association of Catolic priests can suck my atheist balls:pac:

There is no place for bigotry like that in a civilised society. You should do a big rethink pal. You are going to have to share the world with people with different beliefs.

But the guilty priests should be in jail and they are not.
    I dont mind sharing the world but everyone in its place eh.

Anita M. wrote: »

But all priests are being accused of being pedos purely because they are priests.
    There is open derision of the Catholic religion that goes beyond the issue of abuse of children and natural justice. Their very belief system is being held up to ridicule which is bigotry and hatred.
    Priests who have devoted themselves all their lives to helping the homeless, helping struggling people, fundraising for good causes, burying the dead, blessing the sick and much more and have committed no crime are being tarred with the same brush.
    This is just plain wrong.
    There is a hysterical ugly lynch mob mentality that is fashionable among seemingly liberal people.
    Any Catholic who speaks out about any issue is being shouted down by bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

• Who are these priests?
    • What laws have they broken?
    • Have you reported them to the authorities?

One ryan report further and nothing happened. Even the buildings of Artane and the likes are still there, reminding the victims. They tell of the priests but no one does anything. Now you wonder why a deranged man in the street shouts at a priest? The guilty priests should be in jail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

The guilty priests should be in jail!
    there is not enough space in jails for them all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I did read some stats a while back that showed that the reports of sexual offences were lower as a percentage in the priesthood than within the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

RTE V Catholic Church

After Hours holding it's breath for an ultimate self-destructive battle where no-one emerges alive :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

The media is anti-Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

NinjaK wrote: »
    The media is anti-Catholic.

No it's not.

Love this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

If the media includes outlets such as boards.ie (which it does), then it is evidently anti-Catholic.

Also, bear in mind that the "Association of Catholic Priests" does not represent all priests. Only some of the wooly, happy-clappy, liberal ones. That jibe said, I think they did a good job with their statement outside the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

yutta wrote: »
    If the media includes outlets such as boards.ie (which it does), then it is evidently anti-Catholic.

But it also includes 'Alive!' so it's evidently pro-catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

All this "what about the good priests" is nonsense. It's like saying, I was a member of the IRA, but I never pulled the trigger.

If you are a member of an organisation that enabled and covered up the rape, torture and sale of children then you have a f*cked up moral compass, regardless of whether you directly took part.

stimpson wrote: »
    All this "what about the good priests" is nonsense. It's like saying, I was a member of the IRA, but I never pulled the trigger.

If you are a member of an organisation that enabled and covered up the rape, torture and sale of children then you have a f*cked up moral compass, regardless of whether you directly took part.

Utter codswollop. You're a citizen of this country, right? You were a part of a FF-led government, but never voted for Bertie Ahern, right?

Anyway, it's funny how those outside the Church always see best fit as to how it should be run. Even funnier is that they turn up to Mass for matches, hatches and dispatches. (not to mention Christmas and Easter). Every priest in this country should consider giving such types a good public bollocking on December 25th this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

yutta wrote: »
    Utter codswollop. You're a citizen of this country, right? You were a part of a FF-led government, but never voted for Bertie Ahern, right?

Anyway, it's funny how those outside the Church always see best fit as to how it should be run. Even funnier is that they turn up to Mass for matches, hatches and dispatches. (not to mention Christmas and Easter). Every priest in this country should consider giving such types a good public bollocking on December 25th this year.

I have never voted FF and it been a long time since I turned up for mass.

What's your point?

Advertisement