Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand National 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

My wife backed the winner at 40/1 because she likes grey horses :rolleyes:

She's beside me now crying after hearing about According To Pete having watched the feature about him earlier :(

Poor Synchronised, R.I.P

Bloody BBC showed According To Pete falling about 4 times with him running away from the fence clearly with a fatal leg injury when they showed the replay of the entire race

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

hucklebuck wrote: »
    I would love to see Neptune Collonges win but can't see it off that weight, hope I am wrong. I really don't understand why Nicholls has been using him as a handicapper.
    Yep, you was wrong. ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

James May did well, barely even noticed him commentating.

Was gutted only getting 2nd and 3rd because the race was so close, but the news about Synchronised is terrible. Puts things in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I can't believe poor According to Pete. He didn't even make a mistake, he ws brought down. So sad. Was only reading his owner's story here a while ago. Poor horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭dodzy

irish-stew wrote: »
    So sad. Hate to think it but wonder if Synchoniseds jolt in the warm up had any bearing.

:(

It's as if the horse knew, throwing McCoy at the start. Eerie stuff, and terrible to see recent GC winner gone. At times like this I detest the race, as much as I like a bet. Sunnyhill boy added to the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Slattsy wrote: »
    Twice in a 2 furlong run in?? Lol

"Hit him again!"

You belong in a bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

One thing that has to be noted is that the winner broke the whip rules. The second didn't, and there was a nose in it. Something not right there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Morgans

At least we will never have to watch BBC try to ruin the race again.

Shame about the horses. Marring what was one the greatest nationals that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

First time I have actually sat and watched the Grand National, it is a bit crude to be a sporting icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

You do not need to whip a horse that is giving you it's all anyway.

It certainly has it's purpose but it isn't some magical instrument that some of you seem to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Slattsy did you back Sunnyhillboy

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    One thing that has to be noted is that the winner broke the whip rules. The second didn't, and there was a nose in it. Something not right there

Is that true? Will Jacob get a suspension?

Im sorry but Richie will be sick and he sould have "Hit him again"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

synchronized must've fallen twice did he? Just watched the replay there and it looked like he got up and ran away from the fall fine

If this is true,it re-enforces my opinion that the winner should be thrown out in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Nulty wrote: »
    Twice in a 2 furlong run in?? Lol

"Hit him again!"

You belong in a bookies.

In fairness I'm not saying this after he's battered the horse the whole way... But to hit it twice in the run in and have a look round once or twice cost him the race. Simples.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Slattsy did you back Sunnyhillboy

Negative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Hulk Hands wrote: »

thats what i was thinking too, really if the rules are broken they should demote the position. it is a bit mad really, not much point in the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

The horse didn't need any hits, he's as genuine as they come. He ran his heart out.

Synchronised and Frankel being retired mean that today is a sad day for racing even on the day of the best national finish of my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

According to pete was very unlucky. On His Own comes down in front of him at bechers. He snaps the rear right leg as he collides with On His Owns' body as AHO falls to the left. Very unfortunate.

• Advertisement

Morgans wrote: »
    Synchronised and Frankel being retired mean that today is a sad day for racing even on the day of the best national finish of my lifetime.

Definitely retired Morgans?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If this is true,it re-enforces my opinion that the winner should be thrown out in this instance.

From what other forums are saying yes but don't quote me on it. It's not a case of McLernon needing to hit more, it's Jacob shouldve hit less.

Anyway, great race but horrible day for the sport. We've lost the GC champion and Frankel probably won't run again

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dodzy wrote: »
    It's as if the horse knew, throwing McCoy at the start. Eerie stuff, and terrible to see recent GC winner gone. At times like this I detest the race, as much as I like a bet. Sunnyhill boy added to the pain.

I only usally watch the big races/festivals my self, and might only place a bet on a few races a year, but was shuffling uncomfortable a few times during the race today.

Very sad to see.
    At least we will never have to watch BBC try to ruin the race again.

Have they lost the rights to it?

@Irish-stew

Channel 4 from next year show it

Fair play to Jabob. Battered the horse like Maguire did last year.

If you ain't first your last.

No one remembers who came second in a Grand National.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You gotta do what ya gotta do.

:)

Definitely retired Morgans?

Quoted on BBC - Typical from them.

Lord Grimthorpe saying that the is getting a scan and no decision made yet.

Thank god thats the last we'll see from BBC (other than Ascot)

Fair play to Jabob. Battered the horse like Maguire did last year.

If you ain't first your last.

No one remembers who came second in a Grand National.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You gotta do what ya gotta do.

:)

It's like Frankie on Rewilding when he beat So You Think. This needs to be addressed. The only option is to demote the winner.

Quoted on BBC - Typical from them.

Lord Grimthorpe saying that the is getting a scan and no decision made yet.

Thank god thats the last we'll see from BBC (other than Ascot)

I heard Claire Balding say that he may not make it after his injury scare, unless they said it after cos I turned it off then. Nothing on the RP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

NOT OFFICIAL that he has retired.

Live on racing uk, racing manager lord grimthorpe says decision won't be made until next week after scan results.

• Advertisement

I heard Claire Balding say that he may not make it after his injury scare, unless they said it after cos I turned it off then. Nothing on the RP

SHe said that he was retired just as they ended the program. Im guessing twitter has taken over. Lord Grimthorpe on RUK now saying it was bollix. Scan next week. Not exactly bullish still. RUK giving BBC a good spanking now. Rightly so.

Advertisement