Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

magma69 wrote: »
    Whatever, no skin off my back. It's not like it's replacing good music.

Not only that, but it was always the way. It's pop music, so the most generic, bland type of music that appeals to the most amount of people will obviously sell the most amount of records. Amount of records sold doesn't equal quality of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Only shiny happy people like them. At least you are not saying bad things about them, which is good because everybody hurts when that is done. I can't stand when people make fun of them. Personally, I like to listen to REM when I've had a bad day. Great music to drive to also. Hell, I'll take the rain so long as I can listen to some radio song by them.

OK, I'm all out of puns. I'll just stand up, leave now and go get some orange crush. And maybe do some night swimming.

Wait a goddamn min.......THEY'RE ALL REM SONGS!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

Tupac is dead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

magma69 wrote: »
    Who cares if Justin Bieber sold more records than The Beatles. It's amusing how people get so worked up about this stuff. So rubbish music sells. Whatever, no skin off my back. It's not like it's replacing good music.

Not to mention the fact that there are more people now and they're earning more money than in the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Anyone got a list of most copied songs of all time for comparison ?

"Real" music fans don't like to pay for stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Not to mention the fact that there are more people now and they're earning more money than in the 1960s.
    Not to mention the fact that The Beatles have sold hundreds of millions more records than all but one or two artists, Justin Bieber not being one of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

People who hate people taking out the guitar at house parties are jealous because they can't play the guitar and also girls probably are impressed by the playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Samich wrote: »
    People who hate people taking out the guitar at house parties are jealous because they can't play the guitar and also girls probably are impressed by the playing.

No, they're just tossers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Or because it's almost invariably less entertaining than the stuff you can play out of speakers. I know loads of people who can play the guitar, but they wouldn't dream of taking it out at a party (bar a little bit of jamming/****ing around for fun) because they realise it's one of the more effective ways to kill the buzz.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that The Beatles have sold hundreds of millions more records than all but one or two artists, Justin Bieber not being one of them...

I'd have thought they were at the very top no?

• Advertisement

Or because it's almost invariably less entertaining than the stuff you can play out of speakers. I know loads of people who can play the guitar, but they wouldn't dream of taking it out at a party (bar a little bit of jamming/****ing around for fun) because they realise it's one of the more effective ways to kill the buzz.

"Come on guys. I do a really good version of Fake Plastic Trees."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Exactly. There is zero point comparing singles sales for a plethora of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

nope we're too busy using our hands for other stuff rather than being tossers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

I have given up all hope for the human race...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Not really, they normally do it and it kills the buzz because all they can play is Wonderwall or some Snow Patrol.

I'm generally not jealous of people who can only play one instrument and even then can only play it badly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

As Johnny Giles would say: statistics mean nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

As Johnny Giles would say: statistics mean nothing

You are very right my friend, the only reason these songs sell so much is because of the 'popular' hierarchy liking them and then everyone below them following the popular trend. Then there's the propaganda and over-use on TV and radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Shocking that songs in the 2000's sold more than those of the 60's (mostly 60's and mostly 2000's)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Most modern music is pure s***e.
    And I never really liked R.E.M.... or Bob Marley... or Justin Bieber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

That an awful lot of people listen to it. And its almost all rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Shocking that songs in the 2000's sold more than those of the 60's (mostly 60's and mostly 2000's)

Not really. There's a bigger global population today so there should be more people buying music. That and with internet etc, it's more easily available to buy anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

earpiece wrote: »
    Lick my love pump.
    Great song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Great song!

Not popular music though. 'Mach' is classical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

There's also this thing called iTunes...music is more accessible and cheaper to buy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Arawn wrote: »
    People who produce accoustic guitars at house parties are universally known as twats.

You lack the ability to play I see?

The people who complain about people playing guitars, or any instruments are normally envious of their ability to play. Why are these people twats? Is this the only reason?

Surely you could come up with a better argument and more original content than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

You lack the ability to play I see?

The people who complain about people playing guitars, or any instruments are normally envious of their ability to play. Why are these people twats? Is this the only reason?

Surely you could come up with a better argument and more original content than that?

I can play the guitar and I still think they're tossers. One great way to ruin a good party.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

deathrider wrote: »
    Why weren't Nirvana thrown into the sh1te side of that comparison?

Because unlike Justin Bieber, Rihanna and Kei$ha - Nirvana actually had some great music, had one of the most iconic albums ever in "Nevermind" and are generally regarded as a half decent band.

Now go back and listen to your "Best of Celine Dion" album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Almaviva wrote: »
    Not popular music though. 'Mach' is classical.

"Sex Farm Woman" from that album is possibly the greatest song of the 20th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Music is Universal. Some of us like some that others don't. This is the beauty of it. Don't shut it out. Me? I like most music, apart from Jazz and Rap (and I'll even listen to some of that).

Life's too short!

One of my favourites from what you have listed above:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Anyone point out that we`ve been breeding like rabbits and there is simply more people with more disposable income on our rock?! Nothing else to it and your music was "pop" music at one time as was mozart etc in that period and when people get OLD lol they look back nostalgic and say their pop music was real music.

Advertisement