Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

Options
  • 17-11-2011 11:58pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is the saddest thing you'll read all day. :(

1. Creed has sold more records in the US than Jimi Hendrix

2. Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna has 10

3. Ke$ha's “Tik-Tok” sold more copies than ANY Beatles single

4. Flo Rida's “Low” has sold 8 million copies – the same as The Beatles' “Hey Jude”

5. The Black Eyed Peas' “I Gotta Feeling” is more popular than any Elvis or Simon & Garfunkel song

6. Celine Dion's “Falling Into You” sold more copies than any Queen, Nirvana, or Bruce Springsteen record

7. Same with Shania Twain's “Come On Over”

8. Katy Perry holds the same record as Michael Jackson for most number one singles from an album

9. Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined

10. People actually bought Billy Ray Cyrus' album “Some Gave All…” 20 million people. More than any Bob Marley album

11. The cast of “Glee” has had more songs chart than the Beatles

12. Justin Bieber exists.

That is all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Are they extremely disappointing if you don't like any of the artists that are being compared? Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

barbara streisand is good

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Major cringe at #10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Stupid people have money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Fúckin' proof that kid's have too much cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

People who produce accoustic guitars at house parties are universally known as twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Positive fact about popular music, it's ****.

seriously, you want depressing? How many namds that are as good as Petty, Cash, REM, Hendrix et el will probably never be heard by us because of all this Cowellesque ****?

Hey. It's Friday. Weekend. Positive vibes, peeps, positive vibes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I'm extremely disappointed! Next you'll tell me those Transformers movies made a shítload of money. :mad:

Arawn wrote: »
    People who produce accoustic guitars at house parties are universally known as twats.

I can't "+1" this enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Why weren't Nirvana thrown into the sh1te side of that comparison?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I don't like R.E.M

am i alone on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

unit sales doesn't reflect anything except peoples whims
    music that is still enjoyed by new generations years later eg johnny cash and nirvana
    that is proof of what people really like

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Pop music has always been relatively unpopular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Ah **** it, most music is ****e anyway. Just enjoy what you enjoy and forget everything else.

I work in a nightclub and I can honestly say that whatever they play in there is just complete rubbish. When you're sober it is painful, but I know from experience that when I'm drunk I never care, so its tolerable for most people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Well your comparing two different eras.Todays media is much closer to many more millions of young customers.Would population size today compared to then inflate sales figure too.Either way the best music will never be forgotten sales figures are rarely remembered

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I don't like R.E.M

am i alone on this ?

Bit of lavender on the pillow and you should be ok. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Disappointing fact about popular music: its popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Stairway would have been number 1 had it of been released as a single. I don't think Zepplin released any singles at all. (corrected, they did, but never released stairway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Led Zeppelin's first album was almost entirely plagiarised. Jimmy Page was a talentless thief who liked to take advantage of kids, Bonham was an alcoholic woman beater and all of em were sexual devients who regularly gang banged groupies, once in a bathtub full of beans and once incorporating a live fish.

All scummers with the exception of John Paul Jones who just went home to his wife and avoided the debauchery that went on.

RichieC wrote: »
    Stairway would have been number 1 had it of been released as a single. I don't think Zepplin released any singles at all.

Hmm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

All this list tells us is that popular music is more popular than rock music. Oh shock bloody horror. Add this to the "sh*t we already know" list lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

RichieC wrote: »
    Stairway would have been number 1 had it of been released as a single. I don't think Zepplin released any singles at all.

It would have needed the X-factor treatment first like this.

Be sure to put an actual stairway on the stage to make it as literal as possible.

MungBean wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin's first album was almost entirely plagiarised. Jimmy Page was a talentless thief who liked to take advantage of kids, Bonham was an alcoholic woman beater and all of em were sexual devients who regularly gang banged groupies, once in a bathtub full of beans and once incorporating a live fish.

All scummers with the exception of John Paul Jones who just went home to his wife and avoided the debauchery that went on.

Rock stars acted like this? my god.. an entire world re-evaluation is on the cards for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I blame Simon Cowell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

This is the saddest thing you'll read all day. :(

1. Creed has sold more records in the US than Jimi Hendrix

2. Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna has 10
    3. Ke$ha's “Tik-Tok” sold more copies than ANY Beatles single
    4. Flo Rida's “Low” has sold 8 million copies – the same as The Beatles' “Hey Jude”
    5. The Black Eyed Peas' “I Gotta Feeling” is more popular than any Elvis or Simon & Garfunkel song
    6. Celine Dion's “Falling Into You” sold more copies than any Queen, Nirvana, or Bruce Springsteen record
    7. Same with Shania Twain's “Come On Over”

8. Katy Perry holds the same record as Michael Jackson for most number one singles from an album

9. Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined

10. People actually bought Billy Ray Cyrus' album “Some Gave All…” 20 million people. More than any Bob Marley album

11. The cast of “Glee” has had more songs chart than the Beatl

12. Justin Bieber exists.

That is all.

And they say piracy is ruining the music industry.

chin_grin wrote: »

I admit defeat at the hands of your superior googling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's all relative.

There's music and then there's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

deathrider wrote: »
    Why weren't Nirvana thrown into the sh1te side of that comparison?

Because Nirvana aren't "sh1te" they're qu1te unbel1evable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can't actually turn the amps up to 11.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

I say we revolt and mutilate Justin Bieberlake some more.

Advertisement