Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I would like to echo the Led Zeppelin are overrated posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I'm always open to listening to all kind of music ,artists and bands around now but the odd few aside, I still find myself still reverting back to my fav from the 60's / 70's and 80's .

This is also confirmed by my going to see Status Quo ,Kime Wilde and Roy Wood next month followed a few weeks later to see Paul McCartney at the same venue (Echo Arena ) .

I'm also looking foreward to Ultravox's (whom I saw in concert last year ) new album which should be out early 2012 .

'' Lets do the time warp againnnnnnnn '' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

the charts are rigged, record companies only need to buy a small amount of singles to get their acts the number ones. charts dont reflect music quality, just buying power and infleunce

*bursts lots of peoples bubbles*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Broke the scroll wheel on my mouse OP :mad:

Scroll wheel?
    Posh cunt.

Saila wrote: »
    the charts are rigged, record companies only need to buy a small amount of singles to get their acts the number ones. charts dont reflect music quality, just buying power and infleunce

*bursts lots of peoples bubbles*
    That quote should have been printed on all formats of music sales ,records , cds etc.....a long time ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Number 10 is a little cringey, but in all fairness, Bob Marley and pretty much all reggae is repetitive $hite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

It'd make you wonder why alternative music is called alternative, and popular music is called pop. It's a connnundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Lots of the bands on the good side of your list if sold as many singles as the pop bands, would probably be seen as "selling out" by a lot of their fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

It'd make you wonder why alternative music is called alternative, and popular music is called pop. It's a connnundrum.

When alternative music becomes popular, there are still a few weeks/months of grace where alternative and popular overlap. Alternative musos still feel cool enough to like the band even though the song is starting to get loads of airplay.

Then a tipping point is reached. The song becomes TOO popular, alternative musos will turn their noses up at the band they previously claimed to 'adore', while the popular bandwagon picks up speed, ould wans will be on to Joe Duffy complaining about lyrics, Louis Walsh will get his band to cover it on the X Factor etc.

Then the cycle begins again with another 'Hey you should listen to this' alternative band/singer.

If alternatives types didn't push their music on everyone else, everyone would be happy-X Factor types could listen to rehashed old songs, and alternative types can sit in their rooms listening to alternative music safe in the knowledge that no-one else will ever hear it and 'ruin' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I got some disappointing and very disappointing facts about popular music. No extremely disappointing ones.

• Advertisement

I have no axe to grind against x-factor contstants ,some are good and some are bad and it doesn't take a musical expert to understand the difference and while they are talented enough and popular with many , I couldn't and wouldn't buy a record or pay to go see people like Susan Boyle, Michelle McManus or Mary Byrne in concert ...just not my cuppa tae and that's just me but I can see their appeal and respect opinions of those that would or might want to see them .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Fact the manner in which record sales are monitored is flawed and does not accurately reflect true sales. So the information in the OP many not be true. Many idependent store figures are never recorded and back in the hay day of singles sales that was the majority of sales.

Billboard in the US uses radio play as a qualifier, you can in theory get to number 1 without selling a single record.

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Billboard in the US uses radio play as a qualifier, you can in theory get to number 1 without selling a single record.
    What I've noticed over the years with mainstream America is the public , if they really love a record /album / group / artist will lock onto them regardless of what chart position they are now or where after release .If somethings good then it doesn't need constant over plugging for somebody to decide it's good = people will always like what they like regardless of how much the album/record sold .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Plus theres a much larger population in America now than there was in the times of Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There are still people who claim that rap music is all shíte and has had no influence on any other genre , all the while claiming people on the x-factor have talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

There are still people who claim that rap music is all shíte and has had no influence on any other genre , all the while claiming people on the x-factor have talent

I think the problem is people dont actually know what talent is. Someone with a nice voice isnt talented they just have a nice voice. Its the music equivalent to a model, looks great but if they werent covered in what other people create and paraded around they would just be another good lookin person.

Same as all this xfactor shíte, they sound good (on rare occasions) but if they didnt have other peoples songs and wernt paraded around behind them they would just be the average schmuck. There's no talent involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

MungBean wrote: »
    Same as all this xfactor shíte, they sound good (on rare occasions) but if they didnt have other peoples songs and wernt paraded around behind them they would just be the average schmuck. There's no talent involved.

Agreed. But there is talent involved. They're actors. They're a face. an image. Thats all simon cowell wants, a brainless actor who can do what they're told and belt out whatever pre-written supermarket musak is "popular" at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Hip Hop has never been my genre of choice, but if I hear anyone say "Ah that rap music's all ****e, they can't even sing!" or something to that extent, they are instantly disqualified from having an opinion on music, in my eyes.

Also, over 100 posts in and I haven't seen anyone spew the "Musical taste is completely subjective" line yet. I am proud of you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This is the saddest thing you'll read all day. :(
    1. Creed has sold more records in the US than Jimi Hendrix

Creed are an excellent band and Hendrix is a legend so what's the problem with number 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Most of the implied "good acts" on the list are/were also extremely popular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Agreed. But there is talent involved. They're actors. They're a face. an image. Thats all simon cowell wants, a brainless actor who can do what they're told and belt out whatever pre-written supermarket musak is "popular" at the moment.

I'd give them some credit if I thought they were clued in enough to know they are being used and to play along but I dont think they are. I think they are just Joe soaps swept up in the whole thing and think that a rigged lotto draw for stardom has something to do with them being talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Apple's most-downloaded iTunes songs of all time:

1. "I Gotta Feeling" by Black Eyed Peas
    2. "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga
    3. "Boom Boom Pow" by Black Eyed Peas
    4. "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz
    5. "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay
    6. "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga & Colby O'Donis
    7. "Low" (feat. T-Pain) by Flo Rida
    8. "Love Story" by Taylor Swift
    9. "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis
    10. "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha
    11. "Disturbia" by Rihanna
    12. "So What" by P!nk
    13. "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry
    14. "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" by Beyoncé
    15. "Hot N Cold" by Katy Perry
    16. "Stronger" by Kanye West
    17. "Live Your Life" (feat. Rihanna) by T.I.
    18. "Hey There Delilah" by Plain White T's
    19. "Right Round" by Flo Rida
    20. "Party In the U.S.A." by Miley Cyrus
    21. "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey
    22. "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga
    23. "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon
    24. "Fireflies" by Owl City
    25. "How to Save a Life" by The Fray

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

mackg wrote: »

I second that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Yatesonskates

Pace2008 wrote: »
    if I hear anyone say "Ah that rap music's all ****e, they can't even sing!" or something to that extent, they are instantly disqualified from having an opinion on music, in my eyes.

According to your subjective opinion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

According to your subjective opinion!!

Not really. Rap was built on spoken word delivery, it's largely consider the a spoken word piece by Gil Scott Heron was the birth of "rap". The vast majority of rap is still about spoken word delivery and always will be. It was really Nate Dogg who brought a strong singing element with the creation of G-Funk and some artists straddle a middle ground between spoken word and singing.

But to make an argument that "Ah that rap music's all ****e, they can't even sing!", as Pace mentioned as an example of people dismissing rap, then it is only logical that the person be deemed a retard who can't come up with any salient points worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I dont get why it's depressing, pop music is junk food for the ears. Let the fat kids eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I don't like R.E.M

am i alone on this ?

Only shiny happy people like them. At least you are not saying bad things about them, which is good because everybody hurts when that is done. I can't stand when people make fun of them. Personally, I like to listen to REM when I've had a bad day. Great music to drive to also. Hell, I'll take the rain so long as I can listen to some radio song by them.

OK, I'm all out of puns. I'll just stand up, leave now and go get some orange crush. And maybe do some night swimming.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mackg wrote: »

Anyone got a list of most copied songs of all time for comparison ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Who cares if Justin Bieber sold more records than The Beatles. It's amusing how people get so worked up about this stuff. So rubbish music sells. Whatever, no skin off my back. It's not like it's replacing good music.

Advertisement