Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Hi,
    Can anyone advise how much the tummytub and stool are?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Think its like 27 for tub and 36 for stool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Baby has the hiccups all morning.
    Funny feeling....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Showed himself the tummytub last night...his reaction was so funny. Said it wld be cheaper just to buy a bucket that wld do the same job!!!!

My friend told me last night that she wants to buy a significant present for the baby, she suggested car seat or Moses basket but we have them sorted and OH's parents are buying the cot.
    I know my sis will want to get us something 'big' aswell and my parents. Not sure about my other siblings and OH is really close to a couple of his aunts, he says they will want to get us stuff to.

Any suggestions of what I can suggest to her, don't want to step on families toes either! Was thinking she wld just get the 'usual' giffrog clothes or something as she's not godmother or anything, but we are very close. Don't want to insult her by saying X coz it's a generous thing to want to do

kildareash wrote: »
    Showed himself the tummytub last night...his reaction was so funny. Said it wld be cheaper just to buy a bucket that wld do the same job!!!!

My friend told me last night that she wants to buy a significant present for the baby, she suggested car seat or Moses basket but we have them sorted and OH's parents are buying the cot.
    I know my sis will want to get us something 'big' aswell and my parents. Not sure about my other siblings and OH is really close to a couple of his aunts, he says they will want to get us stuff to.

Any suggestions of what I can suggest to her, don't want to step on families toes either! Was thinking she wld just get the 'usual' giffrog clothes or something as she's not godmother or anything, but we are very close. Don't want to insult her by saying X coz it's a generous thing to want to do
    Bottle steriliser
    Breast pump?
    Set of good bottles
    Tummy tub
    Bouncing seat
    Good blanket
    Cot bumper set
    Baby sling/carrier

• Advertisement

Baby monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Just to add to silly's list -

baby play mat
    cot mobile.

We have the same sort of issue - one of my OH's sisters asked if we wanted anything in particular but because I didn't know what price range she meant (20euro / 40 euro/ more) and didn't want to put her under pressure to buy something she couldn't afford- we ended up saying that we were ok for everything... His family can be a bit difficult so it's likely to blow up into something major if I mentioned something out of her price range.

Though my brothers and sister have asked the same thing and I'll definitely give them something specific to get and I know they won't mind.

Great list silly btw, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

No one's offered to buy us anything at all. I actually haven't factored in anyone getting us stuff, I've just been calculating how we're going to get it ourselves. I think the in-laws will want to get us something big-ish but then rest of siblings etc. will get small items (for all of which I'll be very grateful!!)

OH finally felt kicks this morning. We're delighted. Was lying in bed, contemplating getting up, and obviously me stirring woke baby up & I grabbed OH's hand and the baby unceremoniously gave him a couple thuds. He was actually surprised at how strong they were. I don't think he's going to leave me alone now!

Does anyone else get a funny sensation just before a couple of kicks start, it feels like your uterus is stretching or rolling. I can sense the kicks coming on now.

Re the Fairy washing powder, I think I might go with that idea of getting one of those jumbo boxes and just using that for baby's clothes.

Is there an actually difference between the tummy tub and a bucket? If there is and it's actually unworkable to wash a newborn in a regular bucket, then I'd be inclined to get the tummy tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

I never even heard of a tummy tub until ye mentioned it here. I've always put the boys into baby baths and they have been fine.
    I have everything here for babs from ds4, everything is blue but I can't afford to buy new Moses basket,bouncer all that stuff so she'll be using them but I will go bananas buying her clothes. oh and her cot bedding will be pink :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

It's really difficult when someone asks the "get you anything specific" question but doesn't add in the blah blah price range so you know what you can suggest :)
    That's why we created a wish list on amazon specifically for baby stuff...you can now add stuff from others sites to the list. Now we can suggest they look at the list as its all stuff we need and it ranges from smaller to larger stuff! It's also a handy way for my baby brain to remember items I want etc. :)

A friend of our has a snuza clip on monitor & it's a great little item :)

Mink delighted your OH felt the baby :) its a wonderful marking point for them & your right re not being left alone now ;)

Mink wrote: »

Is there an actually difference between the tummy tub and a bucket? If there is and it's actually unworkable to wash a newborn in a regular bucket, then I'd be inclined to get the tummy tub.
    There probably isn't much difference, but I think the tummy tub might be narrower at the end?? It's supposed to more of a "tummy" i.e. womb shape.

Thanks girls, few good suggestions there. Suppose I need to figure out her definition of significant. Just don't want to offend her by saying bottles, because she might think that's menial.
    Oh god, it's so hard to please everyone!
    Might set up that baby list on amazon, even of its just for ourselves to know what we want!

I'd never heard of the tummytub either before ye started talking about it this week. I presume there are some difference between it and a bucket!

silly wrote: »

There probably isn't much difference, but I think the tummy tub might be narrower at the end?? It's supposed to more of a "tummy" i.e. womb shape.

You should go & have a look at one in a shop...most places seem to have them but yes it is def tapered in and rounded at the bottom...I could imagine it would be fairly easy to end up dunking a new born in a standard bucket but the tummy tub is like a rounded cone shape. It's also PBA free which I wouldn't expect from a bucket :)
    As much as I think it developed from a bucket I wouldn't personally use a bucket instead...i would stick to other bathing methods...baby bath etc.

My OH's Siblings are pooling to get us the maxi cosi seat and isofix base which is just brilliant.

My Mam has gotten my baby bag and filled it, Cot bedding(which I was shocked by how expensive they are) and a breast pump... Not to mention about 300e worth of clothes-she can't help herself!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

No one has offer to do or get anything for us. They`re all so bloody negative - its to early don`t do to much just in case....really annoying me! Although my aunt is givin me loads as she had kid not so long ago.

theg81der wrote: »
    No one has offer to do or get anything for us. They`re all so bloody negative - its to early don`t do to much just in case....really annoying me! Although my aunt is givin me loads as she had kid not so long ago.
    My hubby is like that!! We haven't bought one thing! (well I bought a little cork Tshirt online) I just mentioned to mom that if anyone was looking for present ideas then the tummytub was something that i'd, I mean "we'd" love. So she jumped at the chance to buy something practical.

theg81der wrote: »

My mam and sis were telling me it was too early to do this, that and the other and then out of nowhere last weekend they started telling me I needed to start organising my hospital bag and picking up babygros and bits and pieces. You just can't win! I was telling them its too early for that! So we're going to start in a couple of weeks.
    javagal wrote: »
    My OH's Siblings are pooling to get us the maxi cosi seat and isofix base which is just brilliant.

My Mam has gotten my baby bag and filled it, Cot bedding(which I was shocked by how expensive they are) and a breast pump... Not to mention about 300e worth of clothes-she can't help herself!!!

On my side we would normally do the same, except I usually do the organising! say my mam and my sis that I'm closest do will get whatever I want. I'm sure my brothers wives will send stuff too. Not that I'm expecting anything from anyone, in a big headed kinda way.

Your mam must be so excited, bless her, that's lovely.

I can just imagine the look of horror on my MIL's face if I were to bath my newborn in an actual bucket that I got in a hardware shop. I'd nearly do it for that, but no I'll go with standard baby washing stuff.

Aww, will she adopt me?

Cot bedding??? I need to figure out what the hell I'm doing ie; just a co-sleeper or moses basket or straight to cot.
    Does anyone else get incredibly confused and overwhelmed when they go into baby places or the baby aisle in Tescos. I need to get over it.

All I bought last week for baby was Top to Toe wash and some cotton wool :D I think I need to get a bit busier. Well at least I've made a start on spring cleaning the house.

I might set up one of those amazon accounts, at least then people can see what brands I'm looking at, or what features I'd like on certain things (though I should figure out what I want first!)

• Advertisement

I can just imagine the look of horror on my MIL's face if I were to bath my newborn in an actual bucket that I got in a hardware shop. I'd nearly do it for that, but no I'll go with standard baby washing stuff.

Aww, will she adopt me?

Cot bedding??? I need to figure out what the hell I'm doing ie; just a co-sleeper or moses basket or straight to cot.
    Does anyone else get incredibly confused and overwhelmed when they go into baby places or the baby aisle in Tescos. I need to get over it.

All I bought last week for baby was Top to Toe wash and some cotton wool :D I think I need to get a bit busier. Well at least I've made a start on spring cleaning the house.

I might set up one of those amazon accounts, at least then people can see what brands I'm looking at, or what features I'd like on certain things (though I should figure out what I want first!)
    she.s delighted with her first grandbaby! Flat out babysitting!

I.ll be putting baby in a Moses basket until i get her into a sleeping through the night routine then she.ll be in her own room , mummy and daddy need to get back to normal if you know what i mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

We already get some staff:

moses basket and bath; tommy tippy disposal system tub from few of our friends who had babies recently
    a lot of clothes from my sister who has 2,5 month old baby girl
    maxi cosy car seat from my sis - she used it with her son who is almost 4 now
    cot mattress from my mum
    baby clothes from in laws

great idea for a gift is high seat or set to help prepare meals for baby - of course if someone is planning to prepare meals

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭trions

hi ladies,
    just been catching up on all your posts - have been up the walls in work so haven't checked in with ye in a while.....
    you all sound so organised - I haven't bought a single baby thing yet. was in bella baby today, had a look at the tummy tub - not sure if i can justify spending €60 on what looks like a bucket.. was chatting to the sales assistant there about the buggy we want and she mentioned the baby show is on in the RDS in April - she said it's great for discounts and special offers if you buy on the day... we are going to go and hopefully get our travel system...

Had our first ante-natal class today and anomoly scan. The scan was amazing :D babs was really active - got to see loads. she said as far as she could tell the baby was perfect, she thinks my dates are wrong - so i might go earlier than we thought. We said we didn't want to know the gender but we both think we saw little testicles!!! so will have to wait till july to see if we're right...

hope everyone is doing well? xxx

it's the Pregnancy & Baby Fair,
    14th & 15th April 2012, 10-6 Daily
    Simmonscourt, RDS, Dublin
    http://www.pregnancyandbabyfair.ie/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm off to buy hospital bag stuff tomorrow: vests and baby grows and cellular blankets and a nightdress for me and everything else on list hosp gave me: I do not have one baby item yet!! I just want to have basics for now... Tiny bit excited :)

I kinda just realised I forgot to ask wether it was a boy or girl at scan: I was just do relieved everything was okay I guess!

Next scan tues week so maybe then!

I'm still not convinced on the whole tummy tub thing: I still think its just a bucket (and just wait I'll end up getting one and thinking its the best thing since sliced bread!!)

Anyone planning on getting the angelcare AC401 baby monitor is at a very good price on amazon at the moment :)

Trions I assume your €60 includes the stand. Many people just get the tub as the stand is optional :)

yeah - it's around that for tummy tub and stand - the tub on it's own is twenty something euro - just worry it wouldn't be very sturdy on it's own as it doesn't have a wide base....

I've bought a coccyx cushion on line today. I don't know if anyone else gets this but my tailbone gets unbelievably sore sitting in work, even after the first hour. It's making me sit weird to avoid the pain. Plus I have a cyst at the end of my tailbone (called a pilonidal sinus) and that gets aggravated by all the pressure.

Everyone in work is going to laugh at my arse cushion! Plus I swap desks halfway through day so I have to schlep through the office with my arse cushion in tow :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I wish that baby fair in RDS had've been on during none working hours, grr!

Do you work weekends Mink?

Advertisement