Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

i can get on board with pizza for breakfast!
    stayed in my mams last night and had a carbon monoxide alarm scare al 4am ! knackered now, had to postpone my gender scan till Monday night cause oh has work, never thought i.d wish for Monday in my life!
    think the baby is playing wii sports in there

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Hi ladies,

Just venting - went to my combined care GP appointment this morning & she was horrified that I haven't had a scan of my cervix to see how long/ strong it is. After nearly 3 years of smear tests which started at aged 20 as a random test to understand why I had irregular periods I ended up having 2 colposcopies and 2 Lletz procedures over the following years. At my first hospital appointment the consultant was in and out in 30 seconds. Literally. And left the room moaning about how medical students use too much tissue paper to wipe the gel from the patients' bellies. Anyway. I didn't get a chance to say it to him but I mentioned it to the midwife who said 'ah yea that'll be grand' and nothing more. All the while my GP letter was in the file and he didn't mention it - even though he flicked through it. The GP told me today that I need to insist that they do this scan as I'm 50% more likely to give birth early and to have an underweight baby unless I get a stitch in my cervix which is taken out just before my due date. This scares the life out of me. So I called the hospital, got transferred to about 9 different people before I got an appointment for Monday morning with the same consultant I saw the first day. Then I was told that if I needed a stitch they only do it at 12 weeks and not after that - I didn't even have my first hospital appointment at that stage!

I'm so upset about it - they just don't care. My Oh is away and I just feel so worried! I have had such a trouble-free pregnancy so far and I really felt for those of you who have had bleeding, morning sickness etc. and I'm just so worried that I've got off so lightly so far that something bad is going to happen :(

*Hugs Mama*

Please don't be worrying about bad things sweetie, I'm sure everything will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

mamaheidi wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Just venting - went to my combined care GP appointment this morning & she was horrified that I haven't had a scan of my cervix to see how long/ strong it is. After nearly 3 years of smear tests which started at aged 20 as a random test to understand why I had irregular periods I ended up having 2 colposcopies and 2 Lletz procedures over the following years. At my first hospital appointment the consultant was in and out in 30 seconds. Literally. And left the room moaning about how medical students use too much tissue paper to wipe the gel from the patients' bellies. Anyway. I didn't get a chance to say it to him but I mentioned it to the midwife who said 'ah yea that'll be grand' and nothing more. All the while my GP letter was in the file and he didn't mention it - even though he flicked through it. The GP told me today that I need to insist that they do this scan as I'm 50% more likely to give birth early and to have an underweight baby unless I get a stitch in my cervix which is taken out just before my due date. This scares the life out of me. So I called the hospital, got transferred to about 9 different people before I got an appointment for Monday morning with the same consultant I saw the first day. Then I was told that if I needed a stitch they only do it at 12 weeks and not after that - I didn't even have my first hospital appointment at that stage!

I'm so upset about it - they just don't care. My Oh is away and I just feel so worried! I have had such a trouble-free pregnancy so far and I really felt for those of you who have had bleeding, morning sickness etc. and I'm just so worried that I've got off so lightly so far that something bad is going to happen :(
    That is absolutely disgraceful behaviour from a hospital! I cannot believe the unprofessionalism from some "qualified" medical staff. Hopefully all goes well with the scan on Monday. I'm actually furious for you, and I wouldn't let anyone get off lightly with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I think with doctors and midwives you need to sometimes shout to be heard. I have an uncontrolled underactive thyroid. I've known for years that when I got pregnant I would need to be monitered more closely: firstly because I'd have an increased risk of miscarraige and secondly because the antibodies in my blood can affect baby. They can have a goitre when they're born which can affect breathing. They can go into shock when they are born if they're not producing thyroxine.

I went into an appt on Tuesday where they hadn't the letter my GP had sent. They hadn't my blood test results. They found all of them after, but only because I can rattle off my blood test results, and because I insisted I had seen the letter when I had been admitted previously: I knew it was in my file.

I asked would I be monitered more closely towards the end of my pregnancy and got a blank look and was asked why.

Sorry I know that's really long: but basically I now have extra appointments etc: but only because I spoke up and alot. Both me and my husband were upset leaving appt too: and that's no way to be treated in hospital. Especially when it comes to a little baby who has no voice of their own: you're trying to advocate for them far more than you'd ever advocate for yourself!

If you can get a copy of the letter your doc sent consultant it might help. Hand it to them and don't let them walk away untill they have a plan of action for you. I know how difficult that is don't get me wrong.

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies. I am furious. I asked to go with the midwives clinic but I knew that I had to be a low risk pregnancy to do so - that's why I stressed it so much with the midwife but she didn't pass any remarks. Maybe because I'm low risk in other ways as in I'm young, not obese and have no underlying medical conditions. I'm annoyed though because I trusted that she would know if something needed to be checked first. And how did the consultant miss it if he read my notes & then left the room - I even waited a few minutes for him to return until somebody came and told me I could go! I'll definitely be standing up for myself on Monday... just wish OH was here too. Angry mamaheidi will be out in force ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Thanks ladies. I am furious. I asked to go with the midwives clinic but I knew that I had to be a low risk pregnancy to do so - that's why I stressed it so much with the midwife but she didn't pass any remarks. Maybe because I'm low risk in other ways as in I'm young, not obese and have no underlying medical conditions. I'm annoyed though because I trusted that she would know if something needed to be checked first. And how did the consultant miss it if he read my notes & then left the room - I even waited a few minutes for him to return until somebody came and told me I could go! I'll definitely be standing up for myself on Monday... just wish OH was here too. Angry mamaheidi will be out in force ;)

That's so frustrating. They just don't care enough about patients anymore. We're just on a conveyor belt to them.
    They don't read the notes properly, they ask questions but don't really wait to hear the answer. It's disgraceful.

Hopefully everything will be ok and you'll find a solution to the problem on Monday.

I agree with Cyning, see if the your GP will give you a copy of the letter he sent the hospital. I'd photocopy it a few times, so if they take it from you next monday and don't give it back you will still have a copy at home for yourself.

Do you have anyone at all to go with you for a bit of support next week? Mum/Sis/in-laws/close friend? I know it won't be the same as having your partner with you, but its better than having to go alone.

As hard as it is, I'd maybe try and take a few notes when your with the doc or write down as much as you can remember when you come out. Be helpful when your trying to fill your OH in on what happened at the appointment.
    Really hope everything works out ok for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Mamaheidi your hospital is horrible!

Fingers crossed for Monday. I hope you will be ok.

I'm happy with Coombe, midwifes there were great during each visit I had. On the other hand I knew before pregnancy that I'm on high risk of kidney infection, diabetes (my mum is) and heart problems (my dad died when I was 18 due to heart failure) and I demanded from everyone proper attitude & care.

I get upset just few seconds ago. I was talking to my boss last week - I told him I'm going for private appointment to gynaecologist on Saturday, but I will be on sick leave until end of February for sure (my tests results are still bad and antibiotics didn't helped much with kidney infection). I know it is not ideal situation but I asked him few times to get temporary PA for my position - on week to week basic. He is pressing me to speed up return to work while doc don't let me to leave home and said it is likely I will have to spend another few weeks in bed (he is afraid of kidney failure). I know it is hard on him but I need to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Saurelin wrote: »
    I get upset just few seconds ago. I was talking to my boss last week - I told him I'm going for private appointment to gynaecologist on Saturday, but I will be on sick leave until end of February for sure (my tests results are still bad and antibiotics didn't helped much with kidney infection). I know it is not ideal situation but I asked him few times to get temporary PA for my position - on week to week basic. He is pressing me to speed up return to work while doc don't let me to leave home and said it is likely I will have to spend another few weeks in bed (he is afraid of kidney failure). I know it is hard on him but I need to be careful.

Don't let him put pressure on you to come back earlier than you're ready to. Ready up on your rights and the companies responsibilities. I think it's the Health and Safety Act 1995 or something, but just browse around the citizens information site and you'll find everything you need to know.

He shouldn't want to see you near the place until your doctor signs off that you are fit for work.
    You can't think about going back to work, unless the doc assesses you as fit for work.

I bet even just a mention of health and safety or employment laws and your boss will back off completely, because he knows he's completely in the wrong!

Delighted that you're being well looked after in the hospital.

Bit of an odd day in work...our deadlines are changing, which will be a pain for a while, but we'll get used to it. But my boss told me that they will be getting cover for me. It was wierd to hear that. Even tho, it's great for my colleagues, but I was like I hope they're not better at my job than I am! It's strange hearing you're going to be replaced! Didn't think i'd feel like that.

Kildareash thanks,
    I told him I know my rights and I will feel it is necessary I will contact appropriate government agencies or my lawyer.

Don't worry about your job - after maternity leave they will have to take you back :)

Regarding maternity? When you girls are planning to start?

• Advertisement

Saurelin, your boss sounds like a pig. If you are sick don't go to work. End of story. He needs to cop on and get over it.

Re maternity leave - I think I'm going to take mine from mid-May to mid November. Trying to finish my PhD at the minute - should be done by the end of June but one of my teaching jobs finishes in May so I don't get paid for the summer so I want my maternity benefit to start when this ends. I'll go back to both part-time jobs in November and then start looking for something more permanent and full-time then.

Hope you ladies are all happy to be hitting the half way mark. I'll be 20 weeks on Saturday and I can feel the baby moving a lot now- felt it from the outside for the first time yesterday, so exciting. Can't wait till OH can feel it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Kildareash I'm not looking forward to getting replaced either, mainly as it's a major pain in the ar$e training someone in. I genuinely feel bad buggering off for 6 months, but hey we gotta repopulate Ireland!

Saurelin I'll take my maternity leave two weeks before due date (unless I go earlier than that - I hope not as I want my two weeks rest before baby comes).

Mamaheidi, I hope you are feeling better. That stitch is called a cerclage stitch. Apparently it works quite well when needed and I think it can be done at any stage (don't quote me on that, just from hearing from others :rolleyes:). When do you get back in to see the consultant?

I've been so tired that I am not moving out of the one position the whole night until I wake up 1/2hr before my alarm to have a pee. So I'm sleeping on my left the entire night. I know you're supposed to favour your left but it can't be good for my joints to not move at all for the night.

Tailbone is killing me when sitting in work all day
    Pregnant Womans Moan Thread a thataway
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Hope you ladies are all happy to be hitting the half way mark. I'll be 20 weeks on Saturday and I can feel the baby moving a lot now- felt it from the outside for the first time yesterday, so exciting. Can't wait till OH can feel it too!

I'm 3 1/2 weeks behind! I must be the most far behind here with due date of 28th July. Boo!! I just feel jealous all the time reading all your posts - just kidding :P

I will be 18 weeks on Sunday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Hi ladies,

No thats wrong I had 3 lletz and I am under a high risk consultant and she said 18 weeks. The original appointment I had been told 12 weeks but she corrected them and told them the were mistaken. So either drogheda`s most qualified consulted is wrong or your misinformed and need to get in and fight your case!

Let's do a little due date table??
    notsobusy-2nd July
    Mamaheidi-8th July?
    Cyning-8th July
    Javagal-9th July
    Kiwi2011-12th July
    Saurelin- 22nd July
    theg81der- 31st July
    Mink-
    Silly-
    Kash-
    KildareAsh-

Sorry If I left anyone out.. Will ya's all fill in??

There's enough of us isn't there!!
    We could make a babies of July 2012 football team

Javagal I'm due on 22nd of July :)

javagal wrote: »

Mamaheidi-8th July?
    Javagal-9th July
    Cyning-10th July??
    Mink-
    Silly-
    notsobusy-
    theg81der- 31/7/2012 lol
    Kash-
    KildareAsh-
    Saurelin-

Safely say I`m last!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kiwi2011

Mamaheidi-8th July?
    Javagal-9th July
    Cyning-10th July??
    Mink-
    Silly-
    notsobusy-
    theg81der-
    Kash-
    KildareAsh-
    Saurelin-

Hi everyone - Just wrote a post and my computer just had a fit and now its gone!!! My due date according to me is 12th July (hospital says 22 july based on scan from 8 weeks but they have to be wrong!)

theg81der, hmmm sounds like I've been misinformed. Hopefully on Monday the consultant will clear it all up. I'm hoping I won't need the stitch but if I do I hope it's not too late to do it!

You had 3 lletz? Ouch. Poor you, they're awful. Have you had a stitch in or are getting one? Have you been told to avoid exercise or anything strenuous? Hope you're well anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

8th July for me... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Oooh looks like I might be one of the first to go! 2nd july for me.

Mamaheidi, go back in there and scream the house down!! Go with your gut, if you need the stitch get it done, don't let them talk you out of it.

Anyone like ben and Jerries ice cream? - Choc fudge brownie - think ive eaten myself sick!!!!!!:D:D:D

i am fecking starving today!! just ate fried rice, chips and 3 chicken balls and I'm like cookie monster again..

cookie cookie...cookie dough ben and jerrys..yes please...

Haha javagal you made me laugh! I feel really full at the moment and I haven't even had my dinner but I really want some ice cream right now! and the crappy thing is my bf has driven off in his car which I have been using because mine is in the garage and my wallet is in it so I can't even go and buy some :(

notsobusy wrote: »
    Haha javagal you made me laugh! I feel really full at the moment and I haven't even had my dinner but I really want some ice cream right now! and the crappy thing is my bf has driven off in his car which I have been using because mine is in the garage and my wallet is in it so I can't even go and buy some :(

Aparantly pregnant ladies can get away with stealing ice cream. It's called ice cream hormonal imbalance:D

Sorry ladies for getting the ice cream thing in all your heads! There will be a mass influx to the local shops for ice cream tonight!! :p

Aparantly pregnant ladies can get away with stealing ice cream. It's called ice cream hormonal imbalance:D

Oh deadly, although when I try and explain this to my local supermarket manager he might just let me away with it and just think I am a crazy lady!

I'm self employed so don't have any maternity leave as such, I don't qualify for the benefit as I haven't paid enough stamps. But my work is fairly flexible so as long as nothing goes horribly wrong I should be able to continue working right the way through and hopefully just need a couple of weeks after the baby is born.....

theg81der, hmmm sounds like I've been misinformed. Hopefully on Monday the consultant will clear it all up. I'm hoping I won't need the stitch but if I do I hope it's not too late to do it!

You had 3 lletz? Ouch. Poor you, they're awful. Have you had a stitch in or are getting one? Have you been told to avoid exercise or anything strenuous? Hope you're well anyway!

It was Dr Harkin in Drogheda just in case you can use that info. I really hope I don`t either. Yea well better than cancer! They said I have to have cervical lenght scan at 18 and 22 weeks to be sure. I have been told exercise is fine but I quieried this because I bled when I exercised so I stopped and so did the bleeding, litterally the last day I bled was the last day I exercised. Haven`t had a choice in the taking it easy because I`ve had and continue to have a bit of bad morning (all day!) sickness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

notsobusy-2nd July
    Mamaheidi-8th July?
    Cyning-8th July
    Javagal-9th July
    Kiwi2011-12th July
    Saurelin- 22nd July
    theg81der- 31st July
    Mink-
    Silly- 18th July
    Kash-
    KildareAsh-
    July 18th by me. Hosp have said between the 15-19th July.

I ate so much today, had a scone at 12, tuna on rice cakes at 1.15 with a yoghurt. 3 chicken nuggets and a handful of chips at 5.30. Tuna sandwich at 7.30, a rasher, pudding and fried egg sandwich 30 mins later!
    Sitting on recliner now unable to move...

Planning on going on maternity leave at the start of July and not returning until mid jan! I don't know how I'll go back!

My Asos stuff came today, the 2 dresses look too big so I'll prob send them back.

Advertisement