Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Congrats Twomums.... glad it was worth missing Aldi for :p

Married about 8 months too... we're hoping that we might have babs christening the weekend of our wedding anniversary... although the parish priest here is so unobliging I'm not going to hold my breath!

We were trying for baby before we got married (we had wedding booked for two and a half years to save for the big white thing!) we were just so lucky I didn't get pregnant untill after: could you imagine if I had been in my first 20 weeks... I couldn't get dressed most days let alone have walked up the aisle!! Of course I only think that now at the time not so much :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

cyning wrote: »
    Married about 8 months too... we're hoping that we might have babs christening the weekend of our wedding anniversary... although the parish priest here is so unobliging I'm not going to hold my breath!

I wanted to do this too..but we have a wedding that weekend, and the weekend after, i'm thinking we will try and have christening before the kids go back to school, as my sis in law lives up the country, but in saying that, it only gives me about 6 weeks to get into some kind of shape..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Congrats 2mums!

Kildareash - OH and I were just talking about that this week - would love to get married on the baby's christening day, no fuss & no frills just a meal and music afterwards with our nearest and dearest. Only problem is most guests would have to travel and probably wouldn't be bothered for just a christening... I'm not really a centre of attention kind of girl so this would suit perfectly. We'll see though.

Did anybody come across a cheap and cheerful baby monitor anywhere? I want to get one for my parents' house as it's a big house and no way of hearing baby from downstairs but don't want to lug it home every time... I'd like a good one for my own place though

mamaheidi wrote: »

Did anybody come across a cheap and cheerful baby monitor anywhere? I want to get one for my parents' house as it's a big house and no way of hearing baby from downstairs but don't want to lug it home every time... I'd like a good one for my own place though

There's a few in smyths:
    http://www.toys.ie/Monitors-!WCAT65-cat.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Hey ladies,
    Two mums delighted you had a good day!!!Congrats again!

Myself and my OH are together 7 years. Hope to be married by our 10yr anniversary-Kinda haven't made up my mind whether I even want a wedding tho!!

babiesrus are 20percent off till monday with code BABY20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

mamaheidi (and whoever else it was wanting to get married on babys christening day, baby brain sorry! and quoting is a pain from my phone!)
    If ye are seriously thinking about this bear in mind ye need to give 3months notice of intention to marry to your registrar (just remembering now from when my own parents tied the knot there last month!) but ya, not sure if its the same story with civil partnerships or full on church weddings, but for the legal registry its 3months notice!

Not married myself, nor does OH seem to have any intention of making an honest woman out of me, living in sin all the way, haha! Neither of us are religious either, and not doing the christening thing at all on account of not being christian, but we'd still like to do something for family and friends to come meet the baby at some stage, like a naming day or something (still not thought of a name either though!) not rightly sure how these things are supposed to go really though!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Mamaheidi Ikea had for around 30 e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Neither of us are religious either, and not doing the christening thing at all on account of not being christian, but we'd still like to do something for family and friends to come meet the baby at some stage, like a naming day or something (still not thought of a name either though!) not rightly sure how these things are supposed to go really though!

A naming day sounds lovely.

OH wldnt be bothered about the whole religious thing, he's just going along with it for me and our mothers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Neither of us are religious either, and not doing the christening thing at all on account of not being christian, but we'd still like to do something for family and friends to come meet the baby at some stage, like a naming day or something (still not thought of a name either though!) not rightly sure how these things are supposed to go really though!

Same here! We definitely want a 'welcome to the world' party for our little one, but have no idea how to go about it. I've seen some terrible names used when researching it - where God parents became Odd parents and the like. We're a bit out there, but I don't think that would fly.

The aunties will have to get over the fact that we'll be raising a little heathen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

javagal wrote: »
    Myself and my OH are together 7 years. Hope to be married by our 10yr anniversary-Kinda haven't made up my mind whether I even want a wedding tho!!

I'm not even sure we would ever have had a wedding of any description if it wasn't for needing the visas in both our names.

You could do what my parents did, they got married in registry office about a week before I was born (in their jeans & jesus sandles) and had a massive all-night party for all their friends & family. We're not very traditional in my family! I always liked the idea of a tiny private ceremony (or elope) and then just have a massive party, feck the dinner and all that. Having said that, I also like attending regular weddings, they're always such happy days!
    not doing the christening thing at all on account of not being christian, but we'd still like to do something for family and friends to come meet the baby at some stage, like a naming day or something (still not thought of a name either though!) not rightly sure how these things are supposed to go really though!

We're not christian either but we're going to do a naming ceremony & have food and a venue etc. We're going to have godparents for the baby (there's no other word for godparents that's non-christian!) and all that. A friend of ours is going to "officiate" the ceremony as he's a great public speaker (you can find non-religious ceremonies if you research it). Mother-in-law is quite into christenings, communions & confirmations so she'll have to get used to the idea that that won't be happening with us!

• Advertisement

Kash wrote: »
    The aunties will have to get over the fact that we'll be raising a little heathen :)

I read a story somewhere else on Boards where there was a couple who had decided not to get their baby baptised. They weren't practising Catholics and they decided not to do the various ceremonies with their child but let them decide for themselves when they are 18 and have researched the various religions.

Anyway, the guy's mother is a stout Catholic and I think she was babysitting the baby one afternoon & she took them to her priest and got them baptised & then confessed to the parents later :eek:. Unbelievable. Now obviously it's a harmless ceremony but it's the fact that was done behind their back and also apparently once you're baptised you can't "leave" Catholicism (I don't know how true that is at all!).

I wouldn't mind my mother-in-law voicing her opinion, by all means, but the decision is the parents.

Wow! That person would never, ever be left with my child again. And it would probably be a long time before they saw me again either.

Thankfully, my parents would never do that.

Mink wrote: »

I read a story somewhere else on Boards where there was a couple who had decided not to get their baby baptised. They weren't practising Catholics and they decided not to do the various ceremonies with their child but let them decide for themselves when they are 18 and have researched the various religions.

Anyway, the guy's mother is a stout Catholic and I think she was babysitting the baby one afternoon & she took them to her priest and got them baptised & then confessed to the parents later :eek:. Unbelievable. Now obviously it's a harmless ceremony but it's the fact that was done behind their back and also apparently once you're baptised you can't "leave" Catholicism (I don't know how true that is at all!).

I wouldn't mind my mother-in-law voicing her opinion, by all means, but the decision is the parents.

I remember reading that thread horrified that there is people like that out there. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but at the end of the day it's the parents choice.

Is the granny going to go behind the parents back for first holy communion and confirmation too?

If either of our mothers done such a thing, I think I would find it very difficult to trust them ever again or want them around or in my child's life at all.

yeah, i remember reading that alright! Shocking what some people think is acceptable behaviour! and way to go to cause ructions in a family...
    I am a practising christian, so we will be having a christening, in a church with a priest and godparents..the works.
    I have heard of Naming Ceremonies though - and they sound just lovely, I think its important to welcome a child into the world, no matter what way its done.

silly wrote: »
    yeah, i remember reading that alright! Shocking what some people think is acceptable behaviour! and way to go to cause ructions in a family...
    I am a practising christian, so we will be having a christening, in a church with a priest and godparents..the works.
    I have heard of Naming Ceremonies though - and they sound just lovely, I think its important to welcome a child into the world, no matter what way its done.

Yeah I really enjoy Christenings generally, I think the whole thing is a cool idea. However, I have seen it where it's organised and centred around all the adults getting absolutely pallatic for the rest of the day and night in the pub, literally as soon as they can get out of the church they are skulling pints. Nothing wrong with some drinks but I've seen it just turn into a shambles. Doesn't seem right for an event celebrating a wee baby!

Mink wrote: »

Yeah I really enjoy Christenings generally, I think the whole thing is a cool idea. However, I have seen it where it's organised and centred around all the adults getting absolutely pallatic for the rest of the day and night in the pub, literally as soon as they can get out of the church they are skulling pints. Nothing wrong with some drinks but I've seen it just turn into a shambles. Doesn't seem right for an event celebrating a wee baby!

Totally agree, a girl a know had her baby christened but then left him with the grandparents while they went out "celebrating" the christening.
    I don't think that's right.

Christenings/naming days or ceremonies are special days to officially welcome the baby into the family/community/world.

God I sound so old fashioned! But u know what I mean.
    I think it's great when people stand true to their own beliefs and don't go along with something because it's a social norm.

Got my mark on my websites I have been working on 47/50
    yay!!!

Dont even mind studying now I'm so happy!!!
    10 days till I'm on here so often I'll be wrecking your heads!

yay!!!

Thats fantastic!! well done..

Can someone tell me how to post a pic on here, where the pic will be on my post automatically, not just a link if you know what i mean..

bump 26weeks.jpg

bump 28weeks.jpg

Bump 30 weeks.jpg

26 weeks
    28 weeks
    30 weeks..

am i even growing? I look bigger at 28 weeks than 30 weeks..

bump 26weeks.jpg

bump 28weeks.jpg

Bump 30 weeks.jpg

26 weeks
    28 weeks
    30 weeks..

am i even growing? I look bigger at 28 weeks than 30 weeks..

Aww great pics Silly, You look so neat and tidy!!
    I do think ya look a tad bigger in 28weeks but I'd say that's just down to the top color

• Advertisement

yay!!!

Congrats lady! That's fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Silly I think its maybe the top too: I know depending on what I wear sometimes I look massive and more times I don't!

I haven't gained a pound in the last 3 weeks either!

I've lost my camera battery charger: in looking for it I found both our birth certs (in the drinks cupboard), both our passports (in my make up drawer) my driving license (in the dvd case) and €20 :D But no stupid camera charger... baby will be born and I'll have no photos because i dont have a charger at this rate!

Java that's fantastic!! You rock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

yay!!!

Lol tryin to build my 2nd now, a dynamic one - not going well and theres this a$$hole pickin on me in my class unbelievable!:mad:

Well done Java you rock!

Well done Java :)

So, back from the scan - and yes - I am going to have a whopper of a baby.
    She's scanning as 4lb 10 oz at 31 weeks. :eek:

So, we're probably having minimum of a 9 pounder, if she comes on time. I am less freaked out now that I know than I ever was before.

Apart from that though she is perfect - squirming around, yawning, chewing on her fingers - really, really cute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

Well done Java :)

So, back from the scan - and yes - I am going to have a whopper of a baby.
    She's scanning as 4lb 10 oz at 31 weeks. :eek:

So, we're probably having minimum of a 9 pounder, if she comes on time. I am less freaked out now that I know than I ever was

If it makes you feel any better my giant weighed in at 4lbs 4oz at only 30weeks! Giant babies for the win! eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Does everyone have a scan in the last 10 weeks? I'd love another scan to see what sort of weight the baby will be! Might go and get another one privately if the hosp don't do one........

I would like to christian the baby. I was baptised a Catholic but never knew I was one. My dad always brought us to COI services even though he is a catholic too. He fell out with them over his parents death. So I made my confirmation when I was 13 as a protestant not knowing anything else....
    I'm not a practising protestant but I do like to go to the odd service when it suits. My OH is a catholic but he's not fussed if the baby is christened or not....

I think we are going to do the registry job and get married, not tell anyone and then have a massive party at some stage. Great idea to combine the two though!!!

I'm horrified at what that granny did?!?! What did the parents do in the end??

Well done JG :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

O I really want a scan!

I have a scan on the 24th. I went at 27 weeks and baby was just over 2lbs, so be interested to see her growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Congrats Javagal - that's an excellent mark :)

We will be having a naming day for our little one...we may combine it with wedding number two or have a seperate day altogether :D

It is 3 months notice for all civil ceremonies & we had to wait a month to get the appointment to give our notice so it was 4 months really :)

Not sure who said it but you can leave the catholic religion by writing a letter to the bishop...you should be able to find details on the Internet :) In the case of the child they probably won't accept it until the child is an adult! Although the parents could make a case for the fact that they didn't partake in the event or agree with it being done in the first place! I would murder whoever did that to our child...my mam knows someone who did that & my mam thought it was an awful thing to do :)

Kash that's a big baby indeed :) we have a scan next week...it should have been yesterday but we couldn't make it :D so will get an update on our little ones predicted size! Very impressed at you not being freaked out :)

• Advertisement

Silly you look great.
    I agree with the others you do look bigger at 28 weeks, but the pic is a bit closer up too.

Wow kash, that is a big baby!

I'm back in the hospital next Friday, so I'll be just 32 weeks then.
    Java, do u know if they see you every two weeks from then on in Portlaoise or did I dream that up?

Advertisement