Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible flooding in Munster and Connaught Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Tactical wrote: »
    Any chance of a pic? :)

Here you go. The first is the view out the back garden complete with howling gale and driving rain over the mountain. The second is the flooded driveway, as much down to lack of maintenance as the weather (we only moved in a few months back.:)) Its about a foot deep there. (Sorry didn't show it in more detail. Don't want to give my location away too much ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Wertz wrote: »
    On topic, there's a lot more to come off this system right? The front is stretching right back donw to the W bay of biscay and lookis like it's still building...
    To me it looks like its weakening very rapidly, compare 1230 and 1330.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

weakening so rapidly the sun is attempting to come out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Its such crap weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've seen fronts weaken as they cross the country a million times but I can't recall seeing one vanish as rapidly as this one :confused:
    Total rainfall: half a millimeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

SeaFields wrote: »
    Here you go. The first is the view out the back garden complete with howling gale and driving rain over the mountain. The second is the flooded driveway, as much down to lack of maintenance as the weather (we only moved in a few months back.:)) Its about a foot deep there. (Sorry didn't show it in more detail. Don't want to give my location away too much ;))

I spy a weather station :D

Completely understand about not giving your location away ;)

Light drizzle but still blustry here in West Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ravomix

Just an ordinary unremarkable wet day.I dont know what all the fuss is about.

Su Campu wrote: »
    6-hour totals (mm) to midday:

Valentia 31
    Cork Airport 15
    Mace Head 14
    Claremorris 12
    Connaught Airport 9
    Sherkin Island 8
    Roches Point 7
    Finner 6
    Ballyhaise, Gurteen, Shannon Airport 5

There's no fuss, but 31mm of rain in a 6 hour period is a reasonable amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Have recorded 31mm sofar today here in castletown, i suspect some phantom tipping on the rain gauge, recorded around 10mm around then, but i'd reckon only 2/3mm fell,there was some severe high gusts around midday. Will have to move the rain gauge lower down the pole!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

To me it looks like its weakening very rapidly, compare 1230 and 1330.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

weakening so rapidly the sun is attempting to come out!

Was talking more about the stuff that's not on radar yet... satellite shows an awful lot more rainbearing cloud sitting off the s coast...if that front is travelling in a wave, then the rain is not over yet...I just don't know if it's crossing us laterally or along it's axis.

UK met rainfall predictive sequence is showing heavy rain for rest of day on W and SE coasts and tonight and in to tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Just left Dungiven there to head into Derry and the River Roe is about to burst it's banks. Quite a few saturated fields in these parts as well. Still very wet and windy. Awful day!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like another 'solid' area of rain in to Kerry/West Cork now.

Only 1.0mm of rain recorded here so far today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

A major casualty of the severe weather today in Cork City is the delaying of the switch on of the Christmas Light in the city centre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just 5.4mm of rain in Waterford City.

I'm showing 15mm since midnight, Cobh is showing 11mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Mostly raining all day to various degrees: misty soaky stuff, heavy wet stuff, and the regular old miserable stuff..... Ah yes, the many many rains of the West....

Rainfall today in my backgarden 10.8mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

gbee wrote: »
    A major casualty of the severe weather today in Cork City is the delaying of the switch on of the Christmas Light in the city centre.

Lights aren't goin on til tomorrow night I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

bucking down now in castlebar

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »

"Switch on of Cork City Centre Lights Postponed To Friday, 25th November, 2011.

Due to a severe weather warning from Met Eireann, with rainfall amounts of 50mm likely in the period from: 0600 Thursday – 0600 on Friday, 17th – 18th November, the Switch On of the Cork City Centre Lights due to take place on Friday 17th November has now been postponed until Friday, 25th November."

Notice: Friday 17th November ???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any flooding in cork city centre area?or the western road area?

River level low
    http://www.webcamvue.com/default.asp?webcam=fXGocTLH0GZx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

gbee wrote: »
    leahyl wrote: »

"Switch on of Cork City Centre Lights Postponed To Friday, 25th November, 2011.

Due to a severe weather warning from Met Eireann, with rainfall amounts of 50mm likely in the period from: 0600 Thursday – 0600 on Friday, 17th – 18th November, the Switch On of the Cork City Centre Lights due to take place on Friday 17th November has now been postponed until Friday, 25th November."

Notice: Friday 17th November ???

Oh right so it was meant to be tomorrow - they got the date wrong. Not till next week now, makes sense I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

12-hour totals (mm) to 6 pm:

Valentia 41
    Cork Airport 24
    Claremorris 23
    Connaught Airport, Mace Head 19
    Sherkin, Finner 10
    Roches Point, Ballyhaise 9
    Belmullet, Mullingar 7
    Shannon, Gurteen 6
    Malin Head 5
    Oak Park 4
    Casement 2
    Johnstown Castle 1
    Dublin Airport 0.3

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Its pretty much been raining non-stop in Galway City since i woke up this morning at around 7am and its still coming down hard enough now after 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The South looks like having heavy rain for a further 24hours at least, indeed it will intensify tomorrow again after a lull overnight.

Flooding looks likely for Cork I would have thought and most of the Southwest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest NAE run shows the rain band wavering up through parts of the southwest & west throughout tomorrow with a possible pep up in intensity towards evening as a slackening area of low pressure approaches the SW coast:

181673.png

Same model also shows potential for some heavier rain pushing further east on Saturday before building pressure from the east zaps the front into nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

In the 12 hours from 6 am to 6 pm today, there was an average rainfall total of 11 mm over the whole country. This equates to 789,790,438,888 litres (or 789.79 million tonnes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 carbonel_rex

Western Road's fine at the moment anyway, just a bit of surface water on the road and the river isn't too high. Haven't heard of any flooding in the rest of the city either.

Advertisement