Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible flooding in Munster and Connaught Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Was just thinking on the way to work this morning that it is a good job that the council have created runoffs for any floods along the road, this was after the last deluge, when roads became impassible in a very short period of time. Time will tell if it works! Come on rain guage...do your thing... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp
    Don't know why I bother even looking at that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Some serious gusts in south kerry at the mo and its bucketing down. Its still practically dark too. Have recorded 10.1 mm in the last hour.

An unusually soft day ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Amazing how few posts there are abouth the heavy rain in the South and West, if this was forecast for the East coast it would be ten pages long by now :D:D:D

God, these types of posts are so tiresome at this stage.

I really hope the south and west don't get a hammering given the damage that was done a couple of weeks ago in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Vudgie wrote: »
    I really hope the south and west don't get a hammering given the damage that was done a couple of weeks ago in the east.

There was plenty damage in the weekend in the south/west prior to the floods in the east

Only media coverage about that was snowed under by the floods in Dublin :D

There were Landslides and numerous homes got damaged

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Valentia up to 18mm accumulation from 7-10am. May be _just_ clearing out of there aas I post. I don't think any other IMT station will beat Valentia today except Shannon or Mace perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Small bit of 16mm/hr+ in the circled area on the radar. www.met.ie

181587.png

Went for a quick drive to check out local roads.
    Here is a video of one road(lane) I use to by-pass the town on occasion. This is after this mornings rain. Maybe I will re-visit if there is alot more to come.

It's a bit shaky!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Even more >16mm /hr rates now!

Web_radar.gif

Sorry couldnt upload saved image, uploader not working for me :(

WISH WE HAD THE HIGH RES RADAR AVAILABLE TO US! :(:(: (

There, I put up the old image for ya!

Su Campu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Iancar29 wrote: »

WEB_radar2_201111171130.png
    Sorry couldnt upload saved image, uploader not working for me :(

It'll be interesting to see Mullingar's and Ballyhaise's rainfall totals to 1200!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Very full-on weather in Athlone at the moment. I think one of those red patches must be passing over because the wind is whalloping around the place and the rain is bucketing it down mercilessly.

• Advertisement

There, I put up the old image for ya!

Wrong one! ha , the >16mms showed up on the smaller scale one. :rolleyes:
    Su Campu

BUT !... I found this!!... OK STILL not working! :(

EDIT: WENT THE LONG WAY AROUND!
    390474_322611704421884_175249952491394_1552004_623020168_n.jpg

The 9.15 image from the Original Radar page ( 32mm range)... IS that a 32mm echo just over east clare region OR are my eyes decieving me and its just the same one that you posted? :rolleyes:
    Su Campu wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see Mullingar's and Ballyhaise's rainfall totals to 1200!

My guess.... 45mm! :)

My guess.... 45mm! :)

WTF...

Mullingar 3 mm
    Ballyhaise 5 mm! (since 6am)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I'm not up too long due to working until early into the morning, but its been raining steadily here in West Limerick.

Rain is occassionally comming in heavier bursts with a blustry wind.

Nothing too unusual with that to be honest as I'm in a reasonably exposed loaction. The interesting part is that I'm seeing a lot more traffic than usual on our road, even articulated lorries and two private coaches so far. This certainly would raise an eyebrow as normally you wouldn't get that type of traffic on this road.

Must investigate a little further, perhaps there's a tree down or a large puddle on the main road.

6-hour totals (mm) to midday:

Valentia 31
    Cork Airport 15
    Mace Head 14
    Claremorris 12
    Connaught Airport 9
    Sherkin Island 8
    Roches Point 7
    Finner 6
    Ballyhaise, Gurteen, Shannon Airport 5

Do Shannon report?

Valentia 31
    Cork Airport 15
    Mace Head 14
    Claremorris 12
    Connaught Airport 9
    Sherkin Island 8
    Roches Point 7
    Finner 6

1200 hrs.... 0000 hrs.... woopsy... 45mm for 0000 i mean! :)

24-hour summary up to 1200 today.

37 mm at Valentia since yesterday, 31 of which fell this morning.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&state=Irel&osum=no&fmt=html&ord=REV&ano=2011&mes=11&day=17&hora=12&ndays=1&Send=send

Was i right about this being a 32mm echo?

Tactical wrote: »
    Do Shannon report?

Aw crap,

Sorry gang. Didn't spot Shannon at the botom of the report.

Perhaps I should go back to bed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just back to normal wet day here in east Galway after a lovely week or 2

• Advertisement

Just had a phone call from someone in Kerry who reports roads have a lot of surface water resulting in poor driving conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Bloody horrible in Cork, or at least it seems that way sitting in my office listening to the rain fall on noisy roof, has not stopped since I woke around 8am... At least I'm currently in north side of city, so up a hill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Piddling down in Dundalk...and from the look of the echoes, the E and N might get more of any flooding than the S and W.
    Certainly a lot of red stuff developing as the band move across the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Tactical wrote: »
    Just had a phone call from someone in Kerry who reports roads have a lot of surface water resulting in poor driving conditions.

Local radio is also reporting a lot of flooding on roads. If they want to report proper flooding they should see my driveway. The joys of living at the bottom of a hill. Why did i wash the car yesterday!?! :eek:

The wind is still howling here. The rain has eased for the time being tho. I recorded just 3mm in last hour. Nice and warm tho...12.9c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Valentia 31
    Cork Airport 15
    Mace Head 14
    Claremorris 12
    Connaught Airport 9
    Sherkin Island 8
    Roches Point 7
    Finner 6

Sligo has so far got 8mm (my rain gauge - still increasing)while outlying areas are at 15mm approx as pises a lot more in country

Leitrim is at 10mm according to a mate who has a rain gauge there

SeaFields wrote: »
    Local radio is also reporting a lot of flooding on roads. If they want to report proper flooding they should see my driveway. The joys of living at the bottom of a hill. Why did i wash the car yesterday!?! :eek:

The wind is still howling here. The rain has eased for the time being tho. I recorded just 3mm in last hour. Nice and warm tho...12.9c :)

Any chance of a pic? :)

Hope the water stays outside for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Was i right about this being a 32mm echo?

Hi Ian

At a guess, I would say that particular echo is Shannon itself, where the radar is based. The echo itself seems too perfect and circular and appears to be sited right at Shannon which leads me to believe that it's an anomaly???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

>30mm in the midlands according to raintoday

unledbw.png

highdef wrote: »
    Hi Ian

At a guess, I would say that particular echo is Shannon itself, where the radar is based. The echo itself seems too perfect and circular and appears to be sited right at Shannon which leads me to believe that it's an anomaly???

Didn't think of that.... could be that so!... ah well :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Slightly off topic but that blueish purple ME use for the higest intensity rain rate is a little too much like the magenta/pink one the other side of red... very difficult to discern on doppler images. They should have stuck with light green or white IMO.

On topic, there's a lot more to come off this system right? The front is stretching right back donw to the W bay of biscay and lookis like it's still building...

Advertisement