Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland Need a Military?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Fiatach wrote: »
    The 26 county army hid behind the border while Irishmen and women took on British forces in the fields and in the streets across the six counties. With the country facing aggression from Britain, the Free Staters where nowhere to be seen. Probably collaborated with them like they did in the early 20's.
    It's time they disbanded, they have no purpose to exist.

Let's do the time warp again. The 1920's and your barstool are calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The 26 county army hid behind the border while Irishmen and women took on British forces in the fields and in the streets across the six counties. With the country facing aggression from Britain, the Free Staters where nowhere to be seen. Probably collaborated with them like they did in the early 20's.

Would that border be the border that seperates two independent states ? You do understand that if the Irish army crossed it in force that would be a de facto declaration against the UK ?

And as for those brave irish men n women fighting british forces in fields and streets are they the brave warriors who murdered innocent men, women and children for a cause that has blighted this island for too long.

Gotta love those internet bound ira scumbag supporters who would s@@t themselves if they had to actually back up their words with actions.

This is a discussion about the legitimate army of the irish state ,.not some murdering, diesel laundering, criminal scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Fiatach

Owryan wrote: »
    Would that border be the border that seperates two independent states ? You do understand that if the Irish army crossed it in force that would be a de facto declaration against the UK ?

The 26 county state is far from independent, The British government designed it themselves. Of course the 'Irish army' wouldn't have the guts to take on the British in their own country, no-one really expected them to charge over the border. Thats the job for Óglaigh na hÉireann (the 32 county army). Óglaigh na hÉireann killed around 1,100 British forces from 1969, hardly a criminal action. Yes mistakes where made, something you would expect with a volunteer army being left to take on Britain alone while a 'professional army' hid behind the border the Brits ordered them to remain behind like trained dogs obeying their master.

The 26 county state is far from independent, The British government designed it themselves. Of course the 'Irish army' wouldn't have the guts to take on the British in their own country, no-one really expected them to charge over the border. Thats the job for Óglaigh na hÉireann (the 32 county army). Óglaigh na hÉireann killed around 1,100 British forces from 1969, hardly a criminal action. Yes mistakes where made, something you would expect with a volunteer army being left to take on Britain alone while a 'professional army' hid behind the border the Brits ordered them to remain behind like trained dogs obeying their master.

Ffs , seriously , do you really believe that ****e ??

There is no such thing as a 32 county army . The murdering scum you are alluding to have no legitamcy what so ever. The so called war is over , your heroes surrendered.

As for the border , it was accepted by the state and the people of the state so it is as real as you or me despite what you might say.

Ffs , seriously , do you really believe that ****e ??

There is no such thing as a 32 county army . The murdering scum you are alluding to have no legitamcy what so ever. The so called war is over , your heroes surrendered.

As for the border , it was accepted by the state and the people of the state so it is as real as you or me despite what you might say.

Óglaigh na hÉireann is the 32 county army and the state troop of the 32 county Irish Republic proclaimed in 1916. The same Irish Republic the Staters fought to crush in 1922-23. Killing over 1000 british forces is not criminal and never was. The provisional military wing disbanded, not Óglaigh na hÉireann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Shinnerbots.

They made every discussion on p.ie pointless, and now they are here too.

I.R.A= i ran away.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Avgas

Óglaigh na hÉireann is the 32 county army and the state troop of the 32 county Irish Republic proclaimed in 1916. The same Irish Republic the Staters fought to crush in 1922-23. Killing over 1000 british forces is not criminal and never was. The provisional military wing disbanded, not Óglaigh na hÉireann.

And this sort of stuff nicely explains why we really really NEED our DF, plus the ARW and the Special Branch. :)
    I hope the OP takes note...?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheLoneGunmen

The 26 county army hid behind the border while Irishmen and women took on British forces in the fields and in the streets across the six counties. With the country facing aggression from Britain, the Free Staters where nowhere to be seen. Youths armed only with stones attacked British forces showing more heroism that the so called 'Irish army' ever did. The Staters probably collaborated with Britain like they did in the early 20's.

Stay off my side, Fiatach. People like you would be the first targets of the Gendarmerie I suggested. Ireland is a united country. Dáil Éireann has undisputed authority over all 26 Irish counties. If you are suggesting that Ireland unite with Northern Ireland, that's a separate argument, and one I will not enter into here.

Stay off my side, Fiatach. People like you would be the first targets of the Gendarmerie I suggested. Ireland is a united country. Dáil Éireann has undisputed authority over all 26 Irish counties. If you are suggesting that Ireland unite with Northern Ireland, that's a separate argument, and one I will not enter into here.

Your 'Ireland' is a 26 county bastard state, who's territory was designed by the British government. Ireland is 32 counties not 26. The 26 county state allowed British troops to invade its territory to attack Irish soldiers in the six counties fighting a war via the 'concession' roads along the border. Quislings and collaborators will always aid the enemy. The only military Ireland needs is the army which represents the 32 counties - Óglaigh na hÉireann.

Your 'Ireland' is a 26 county bastard state, who's territory was designed by the British government. Ireland is 32 counties not 26. The 26 county state allowed British troops to invade its territory to attack Irish soldiers in the six counties fighting a war via the 'concession' roads along the border. Quislings and collaborators will always aid the enemy. The only military Ireland needs is the army which represents the 32 counties - Óglaigh na hÉireann.

The "Bastard State" you refer to is the legitimate authority over it's territory - not the IRA. Any person who claims to be an Irish nationalist and who carries out terrorist attacks "on Ireland's behalf", but who de-legitimises the Irish State is no friend of Ireland, and should be treated as they are - subversives and murderers, plain and simple. I suggest that you figure out where your loyalties lie.

• Advertisement

The "Bastard State" you refer to is the legitimate authority over it's territory - not the IRA. Any person who claims to be an Irish nationalist and who carries out terrorist attacks "on Ireland's behalf", but who de-legitimises the Irish State is no friend of Ireland, and should be treated as they are - subversives and murderers, plain and simple. I suggest that you figure out where your loyalties lie.

My allegiance is to the all Ireland Republic which was proclaimed in 1916, established in 1919 and defended by the IRA against Free State/British aggression in 1922-23. Hopefully it can one day re-emerge and crush the two failed states in Ireland. The only subversives are the British collaborators which brought this 26 county state into being and the traitors that defend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiTrGDyGgOw

My allegiance is to the all Ireland Republic which was proclaimed in 1916, established in 1919 and defended by the IRA against Free State/British aggression in 1922-23. Hopefully it can one day re-emerge and crush the two failed states in Ireland. The only subversives are the British collaborators which brought this 26 county state into being and the traitors that defend it.

You are either a complete idiot who has been playing the bodhrán for too long in his mammy's house, or you are some member of the Defence Forces using reverse psychology in order to argue for the retention of the Military as it stands. Either way, get a life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treason

You are either a complete idiot who has been playing the bodhrán for too long in his mammy's house, or you are some member of the Defence Forces using reverse psychology in order to argue for the retention of the Military as it stands. Either way, get a life.

I have no allegiance to the Free State as it is a British designed territory. You may aswell accuse Pearse and Connolly of treason because I want what they set out to achieve, the 1916 proclamation is what I believe in. If that is treason in your eyes, it just about sums you up.

I have no allegiance to the Free State as it is a British designed territory. You may aswell accuse Pearse and Connolly of treason because I want what they set out to achieve, the 1916 proclamation is what I believe in. If that is treason in your eyes, it just about sums you up.

If you have no allegiance to the Republic of Ireland, then you have no right to define yourself as a republican. Or Irish for that matter. And if you are an Irish citizen, I suggest you get yourself a good solicitor, as criminal charges are a strong possibility if you pursue this line of reasoning to it's logical conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Good thing the free state was replaced by the republic in 1937 so.

If you have no allegiance to the Republic of Ireland, then you have no right to define yourself as a republican. Or Irish for that matter. And if you are an Irish citizen, I suggest you get yourself a good solicitor, as criminal charges are a strong possibility if you pursue this line of reasoning to it's logical conclusion.

You are a Free Stater not an Irishman. Republicans opposed the creation of the 26 county state from day one and fought a civil war to prevent it. People like you, Free Staters and the Brit government supported it.

Good thing the free state was replaced by the republic in 1937 so.

Only in name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You are a Free Stater not an Irishman. Republicans opposed the creation of the 26 county state from day one and fought a civil war to prevent it. People like you, Free Staters and the Brit government supported it.

I bet your a laugh at parties. :rolleyes:

Also your nice and safe calling someone non irish from behind a computer screen.

Consider yourself a republican do you??... considering your parents prob were not even born at the time... statements like the above coming from people like you is comical.

twinytwo wrote: »
    I bet your a laugh at parties. :rolleyes:

Also your nice and safe calling someone non irish from behind a computer screen.

Consider yourself a republican do you??... considering your parents prob were not even born at the time... statements like the above coming from people like you is comical.

I don't see you critising thelonegunman who questioned by right of calling myself Irish just because I believe in the all Ireland Republic set out in the proclamation. Irish Republicans have opposed Britains neo-colonial states in Ireland from the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's, and will do in the coming 20's and until the two failed Brit desiged states are eradicated and replaced with an Independent all Ireland Republic.

Ah now dont be insulting idiots by comparing them to this troll.

Cant you see he was in the gpo in 1916 and held devs coat at beal na blath. We should be honoured to be in the presrnce of such a fine internet warrior.

• Advertisement

Ah now dont be insulting idiots by comparing them to this troll.

Cant you see he was in the gpo in 1916 and held devs coat at beal na blath. We should be honoured to be in the presrnce of such a fine internet warrior.

What use are you to anyone? You will go through life like a drone. Go back to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

I don't see you critising thelonegunman who questioned by right of calling myself Irish just because I believe in the all Ireland Republic set out in the proclamation. Irish Republicans have opposed Britains neo-colonial states in Ireland from the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's, and will do in the coming 20's and until the two failed Brit desiged states are eradicated and replaced with an Independent all Ireland Republic.

Why didn't they declare war on the 26 counties then?

Why didn't they declare war on the 26 counties then?

The Free State declared war on the Irish Republic on behalf of Britain in 1922 which was defended by the Irish Republican army in the Civil war. The later strategy was to concentrate energies on British forces occupying the north east of the country and not to engage with the 26 county militia, who were for the most part sitting on their hands in their barracks while Ireland was at war with Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

The Free State declared war on the Irish Republic on behalf of Britain in 1922 which was defended by the Irish Republican army in the Civil war. The later strategy was to concentrate energies on British forces occupying the north east of the country and not to engage with the 26 county militia, who were for the most part sitting on their hands in their barracks while Ireland was at war with Britain.

I'd have thought it would have made more sense to tackle the 'hand sitters' first and then moved on to the BA/UDR/RUC/UVF once you'd neutralised the 'staters' and liberated the 26 collaborationist counties?

:confused:

I'd have thought it would have made more sense to tackle the 'hand sitters' first and then moved on to the BA/UDR/RUC/UVF once you'd neutralised the 'staters' and liberated the 26 collaborationist counties?

:confused:

Nah they just went for the jugular.

What use are you to anyone? You will go through life like a drone. Go back to bed.

Funnily enough that could be said about you, stop believing in ****e nd get real. the brits are welcome to the north

Funnily enough that could be said about you, stop believing in ****e nd get real. the brits are welcome to the north

Absolutely. Why would anyone want 1 million more citizens of dubious loyalty like Fiatach resident in the state? At least the Unionists are loyal to the state that protects them. Fiatach reminds me of the dog who saw his reflection in the pool and thought it was another dog with a bone, and jealously tried to steal the bone from the "other dog", losing the real one in the process. I believe Fiatach would be happier under British rule, so he could bitch about how the British are to blame for all his problems.:rolleyes:

Stop believing in Irish Independence? Your going to have to try a bit harder than that im afraid. I wont follow 'croppy lie down' commands by spineless Irish. Any Irishman who says a foreign British government, unelected anywhere in Ireland, is welcome to part of their national territory is a bona fide Quisling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

When I'm off the mobile, I sense a lock coming..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

When I'm off the mobile, I sense a lock coming..

not fair - it was going well. provo boy turns up and pisses all over every active thread in the forum and gets locked, and everyone else loses out.

my humble submission?

pruning and weeding.

Advertisement