Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland need an army?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

All countries have clamped down on all firearms sales and firearm parts sales,so it will be hard to get something without the proper paperwork,the reason is because of the international fight against terroism.
    I am not saying its impossible,but you sure need some good reasons and have some good contacts to get to it though.
    And Norway doesnt have an internal terrorist group,we have one internal terrorist,so far
    And i am well aware of IRAs smuggling of weapons and explosives to the Island,amongst the arsenal you will find 100 AG3s,stolen from a camp in Norway in 84.

Harder maybe, but still entirely possible, and still happening

Meh. You can pick up a new firing pin for an AUG at my local gun store. I bought an AUG trigger kit by mail. I strongly doubt anyone would have picked up on it in my baggage at Dublin.

And if you don't want to travel to the US, travel to Canada, just as easy to get parts. The presumption is that all the parts in the world aren't much use to anyone without the receiver.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Poccington - a lot of what you say makes sense but there are enormous connections between the USA and Britain with Ireland and the very idea that they would leave the country at the mercy of some 'unlikely' foreign aggressor is laughable. Anyway the whole idea of Ireland being able to defend itself from a serious aggressor is also laughable. If Ireland is worried about its defence it would be best to invite the US to establish a base here with a few nukes. Back on topic, in my opinion the current army is surplus to the country's requirements and the manpower would be utilised to rejuvenate the Gardai.

I think we'll keep disagreeing with the Brits and Yanks saving us tbh. History has shown we're a target during large scale wars. Unlikely as it may be, the world is an ever changing place. I'm sure before WW2, we thought the Germans would never want to go near us.

I'm enjoying this discussion btw, it's nice to have a reasonable discussion sometimes. :pac:
    psychward wrote: »
    Yes I can say exactly that and I explained why already while highlighting the example of Georgia vs Russia and how futile their huge defense budget and foreign military aid was. All those other weapons wouldn't make any difference to defending Ireland.
    However what could actually make a difference would be a few Nukes designed to be used. If Ireland was going to be raped, destroyed and enslaved for a few hundred years by some imperial power I would be quite happy to use them. War is supposed to be ''not nice'' by definition. If you're one of the peace at any price pacifist hippy crowd than I can see why you would be against nukes.

I'm a member of the DF, I'm not sure I fit into the "Peace at any price pacifist hippy crowd".

What happened between Georgia and Russia doesn't give Ireland justification for nukes. Where is the money going to come for the technology, infrastructure etc. that comes with being a nuclear power?

You said we were wasting money on "boys toys" when it comes to the vehicles we buy. Getting a nuclear capability will cost a WHOLE lot more than our current Defence budget.
    realies wrote: »
    It would be much more efficient in having a police/army force than the current separate organisations.At the height of the troubles there were (afaik)15000 soldiers, since then every successive government have brought the numbers down so its nothing to do with the current crisis as it has been happening for a long time,With modern technology there is more of an effort going into a quality defence force than quantity.

Just to point out, when the DF brought the numbers down a few years back that was a DF decision. The DF has continuously tried it's hand at reform, looking at ways to make it leaner while improving it's capabilities. It's not perfect but it tries to remedy it's shortcomings when it can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I would prefer to see the army disbanded and put the saved resources, man power etc into the Guards and the navy. It would be nice to have a army but we are to small and poor of a country to have a good army. I have nothing against the Irish army just think the Guards and Navy would be a better investment, I know people who are in the Irish army will disagree with me.

But its never going to be gotten rid of so no point talking about it just be proud of the boys :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

In the light of all the fuss about Willie Penrose's resignation over the closure of Mullingar army barracks isn't it about time that the elephant in the room is finally dealt with - why does Ireland need an army at all? Given that Ireland has no offensive capability (submarines/missiles/air or sea power) and no means to defend itself against serious external aggression, what is the point?

Ireland has far too many barracks most of which owe their existence to the Britain's need to control Ireland. Latterly these barracks served as recruiting and training facilities to service the needs of the British Empire but today they are an anachronism.

Since the IRA gave up its campaign there's even less reason to retain a standing army. It could be argued that Ireland needs an army to fulfill its obligations to UN peace keeping but even that is fallacious as we could contribute by supplying members of the Gardai. Perhaps a paramilitary Garda force would be a much better use of resources and the manpower numbers could be greatly reduced and barracks disposed with. I'm not trying to play devil's advocate but I do think a debate on the future of the Irish army is long overdue.

what a stupid idea. true, ireland wouldn't have to worry about a foreign threat but it sure as hell would have to worry about an internal one with ultimate power resting with the police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

paky wrote: »
    what a stupid idea. true, ireland wouldn't have to worry about a foreign threat but it sure as hell would have to worry about an internal one with ultimate power resting with the police

The ultimate power with responsibility for internal State security is the Gardai with the army providing assistance when requested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I think you're fooling yourself there. The UK State has had nothing but bad experiences with The Irish during 'the troubles' and there's little warmth for The Irish amongst The UK people generally apart from a large amount of condescension - the 'flurry knox' syndrome. There's no chance of The UK bailing out The Irish unless it was in the direct interest of The UK State to do so. Most UK people would probably laugh as Ireland sank.

As for The Yanks, they'd only get involved if there was something in it for them. If you thought a British occupation was bad, wait till you experience The Americans.

No, I'm afraid The Irish Republic is on it's own, which is exactly what it claimed it wanted.

The good news is that there is little in Ireland that anyone would actually want, so no need for a tiny army that never sees combat.

Well I think the whole reason why the Uk would get involved and the US for that matter, would be that they wouldn't want an unstable country right on there door step. If someone was to invade Ireland it would be fair to say they must be aggressive, and there is no way the us or uk would allow that, it would purely be in there own interests not to let that happen regardless of what they think of us here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

deisedave wrote: »
    I would prefer to see the army disbanded and put the saved resources, man power etc into the Guards and the navy. It would be nice to have a army but we are to small and poor of a country to have a good army.

Comparative to our needs, we have one of the best and most well quipped armies in the world.

Typical Irishness to be putting ourselves down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Delancey wrote: »
    To be frank when people resort to defending the Army by reminding us that they can be bin men as well as security guards that shows the utter sterility of their arguments.
    An army exists to defend the country - the dogs in the street know the Irish Army could mount not 1 iota of a defence against foreign aggression and again begs the question - What are they here for ?

Internal security threats could easily be handled by a better resourced Garda service.

You underestimate the guerrilla warfare capabilities of the ARW. Worked very well for the Taliban against the British,Russians and now Americans. Any country that wants invade this country needs to be shown they'll have hell to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Jaafa wrote: »
    You underestimate the guerrilla warfare capabilities of the ARW. Worked very well for the Taliban against the British,Russians and now Americans. Any country that wants invade this country needs to be shown they'll have hell to pay.

Any country with the wherewithal to invade Ireland (the very idea is so 19th century) would be more than willing and able to deal with any insurgency. It isn't going to happen and being prepared for it is nonsense. However, we do have a very serious, some would say out of control, crime situation here which the Gardai are unable to bring to an end. The resources spent on the army would be better spent on the Gardai. Which is more benefit to the Irish citizen, having a well equipped army for UN peace keeping abroad or a well equipped Garda force for law and order keeping at home.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Any country with the wherewithal to invade Ireland (the very idea is so 19th century) would be more than willing and able to deal with any insurgency. It isn't going to happen and being prepared for it is nonsense. However, we do have a very serious, some would say out of control, crime situation here which the Gardai are unable to bring to an end. The resources spent on the army would be better spent on the Gardai. Which is more benefit to the Irish citizen, having a well equipped army for UN peace keeping abroad or a well equipped Garda force for law and order keeping at home.?

No army in the world has a comprehensive, effective strategy for dealing with insurgents. They simply can't be defeated if they have the numbers and determination. The resources spent on the army is miniscule compared to the potential benefits. Look asst the mid east. The whole place has been turned upside down in the space of a year. You think Europe is much more stable? probably but that just means it could take 5 or 10 Yeats for a major game changing event to happen here. The point I'm trying to make is it simply wouldn't be wise to disband the army only to realise that we need it 20 our even 50 years down the line. You be mad to think that Europe will look anything like it does now 50 years on, or that we'd have the same allies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Arent the army ranger wing amongst the best trained groups in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

Ye, but could The Irish really put up any resistance against a ruthless foe. PIRA had it pretty easy against The British Army, who were little more than a glorified police force acting under the civil law - "yellow card" rules etc - so that's not much of a guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

No army in the world has a comprehensive, effective strategy for dealing with insurgents. They simply can't be defeated if they have the numbers and determination. The resources spent on the army is miniscule compared to the potential benefits. Look asst the mid east. The whole place has been turned upside down in the space of a year. You think Europe is much more stable? probably but that just means it could take 5 or 10 Yeats for a major game changing event to happen here. The point I'm trying to make is it simply wouldn't be wise to disband the army only to realise that we need it 20 our even 50 years down the line. You be mad to think that Europe will look anything like it does now 50 years on, or that we'd have the same allies.

I don't know mate. Nazi Germany had few problems occupying Western Europe. Any problems and they just put a hundred civilians up against the wall. Marxist insurgencies were dealt with effectively in both south and central America by ruthless state action. Remember "blow torch Bob" in El Salvador?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

The ultimate power with responsibility for internal State security is the Gardai with the army providing assistance when requested.

i dont think you got what i was saying. its the gardai who become the threat

if the army was abolished whats stopping the police from overthrowing the government? yes it may sound stupid now, but you would be setting up that possibilty if you abolished the army. the institutions are there for a reason just the way we have a president, dail and seanad.

ya when they inherit all their debt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement