Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gevie Stee

Anchorman is over rated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭ronjo

My unpopular opinion is that adults who spend a lot of time playing computer games need to get out more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Man made climate change isn't happening. Despite today's weather.

Oh wait is that popular or unpopular?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

xflyer wrote: »

Depends which thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Gevie Stee wrote: »
    Anchorman is over rated!

If by over rated you mean ****e I agree completely.

• Advertisement

Galaxy Chocolate is nicer than Cadburys

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Gevie Stee wrote: »
    Galaxy Chocolate is nicer than Cadburys

IMO the only nice chocolate available is the stronger proper stuff made by actual chocolatiers. I'll include big brand chocolate like Leonidas and Butlers in that because they're still quite nice. Real chocolate is beautiful.

Nestle, Cadbury, Galaxy etc. all make bland, sugary crap that barely tastes of anything but vague sweetness.

Cadbury's Roses in particular may be the most boring tasteless things I've ever encountered.

IMO the only nice chocolate available is the stronger proper stuff made by actual chocolatiers. I'll include big brand chocolate like Leonidas and Butlers in that because they're still quite nice. Real chocolate is beautiful.

Nestle, Cadbury, Galaxy etc. all make bland, sugary crap that barely tastes of anything but vague sweetness.

Cadbury's Roses in particular may be the most boring tasteless things I've ever encountered.

I think Leonidas and Butlers are too rich, they're sickening, too luscious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Bressie is not that hot. Quite beady-eyed, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cadburys is great, but Nestle and Mars chocolate are crud. Nestle taking over Rowntree was a travesty.

Of the fancier chocolate, I agree some are too rich, but some are lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

American accents are really nice, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Evidence suggests that may be a fact rather than an opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

People put Hitler on end of spectrum and the US and UK on the other side.

But it's not like that IMO. The US and Americans did bad things too, though obviously not as bad as Hitler, but to IMO it's wrong to put them on different ends of spectrum.

The US sold weapons to Saddam Hussein, they are not the liberators of the free world. This "War on Terror" is a farce.

(I know the above line won't be very unpopular, but the first 2 lines are my main ones.)

dirtyden wrote: »

Evidence suggests that may be a fact rather than an opinion
    Don't know much about it but wasn't there marked climate change after settlers came to America and deforested etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Dudess wrote: »
    Don't know much about it but wasn't there marked climate change after settlers came to America and deforested etc?

I dont have any numbers to back it up, but i highly doubt that settlers without machinery, and only in numbers able to be transported by months of sailing, while fighting for land/food and fending off british taxes etc, could possibly destroy enough trees with Axes to change the climate that much.

A recent figure i heard on the radio only a week ago confirmed that in the last 100 years, only a 0.75C change has occured in temperature.
    This figure although high for a change in only a 100 years, is taking into account all the emissions and deforestation since modernised machines and industry has taken place.
    Before this, nothing as grand as the climate could be affected by a group of mammals*

*unless we all continuously fart together for about a year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

I think all the people in social housing should pay the household tax. How many fúcking waivers do these nutters want!? Free healthcare, free this, fúcking waiver for that.....grow up and get a JOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Dudess wrote: »

I am afraid I have no idea. I did read somewhere that the eruption of krakatoa was one of the only events recently that definitively effected world climate for a period.

Potential changes due to more recent manmade influences have not yet been proven as measurable effects.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

People put Hitler on end of spectrum and the US and UK on the other side.

But it's not like that IMO. The US and Americans did bad things too, though obviously not as bad as Hitler, but to IMO it's wrong to put them on different ends of spectrum.

The US sold weapons to Saddam Hussein, they are not the liberators of the free world. This "War on Terror" is a farce.

(I know the above line won't be very unpopular, but the first 2 lines are my main ones.)

Bad things in world war 2 or bad things in general?
    If you're talking about world war 2 there's not really that much to go on in terms of what the US did that was worse than what Hitler did. If you're referring to the dropping of the a-bomb you'll have to frame that in a time where Japan were refusing to surrender despite having no navy left to speak of, sfa troops on the ground, still had 1 million troops occupying China wherein they were massacring left and right, in Manila and the Philippines where they were massacring left and right, all while they were simultaneously using planes and their own pilots as human piloted missiles to take out the US navy. The USAAF was already bombing cities as legitimate military targets for so long that a few more weeks of the comprehensive bombing runs would have killed more people than at hiroshima and nagasaki. Unlike Germany where air raids on targets had much less impact than desired, Japan's larger cities were made up of many wooden buildings which, unlike the stone you'll find in most German cities of the time, burns when you drop a fcukton of bombs on it. If you want to look at questionable allies you'd be best off looking toward Stalin and Russia for shocking massacres before and during the war and for the massive landgrab which followed as the allies divided the spoils.
    So really, in every conceivable way you can measure it in terms of world war 2, the US and Hitler's germany are very much on completely opposite ends of whatever meaningful spectrum you can throw at the situation. And to suggest otherwise indicates a serious lack of research.
    Which, when you're apologising for Hitler, is pretty unforgivably dumb and deserving of being shown up for quasi-trendy uninformed bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

all wine drinkers are pretentious ****

What if its out of a carton and cost 4 euro? :P

Mothers should attempt to breastfeed when they are able to, putting cows 'milk' into a newborn baby should be a last resort.

Castration is the perfect deterrent & punishment against paedophiles, rapists, and people who put pineapple on pizzas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

dirtyden wrote: »
    I am afraid I have no idea. I did read somewhere that the eruption of krakatoa was one of the only events recently that definitively effected world climate for a period.

Potential changes due to more recent manmade influences have not yet been proven as measurable effects.

The Icelandic volcano that erupted last year had an effect, sunspot activity also have an effect. Climate has a lot of variables in its mix its not that is has a thermostatic setting or a natural order its just a big energy system. The recent worry is sea temperature, that is rising and they think that that may be linked to the increase in extreme weather events over the last 5 years.

Sea temperature rise is a very bad indicator that there is trouble ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

ROFLcopter wrote: »
    I think all the people in social housing should pay the household tax. How many fúcking waivers do these nutters want!? Free healthcare, free this, fúcking waiver for that.....grow up and get a JOB.

hehe. Not get everything for free? Work? You fascist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Bad things in world war 2 or bad things in general?

First off I meant bad things in general.
    Which, when you're apologising for Hitler, is pretty unforgivably dumb and deserving of being shown up for quasi-trendy uninformed bull****.

Second off can you please not call my opinion unforgivably dumb and bull****, thank you very much.

Regards the Americans, look at what they did in Vietnam, look at the amount of Corrupt dictatorships they have supported. Look at their invadings of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Regards WW2 exclusively. Ever heard of the Bombing of Dresden?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

There's nothing, nothing worse(including the holocaust) than an intelligent woman, who has a baby and then talks about nothing but the child.

People getting the grant shouldn't be an automatic entitlement, should be a course with an in demand skill set- IT, languages etc. How many Philosophy graduates do we need.

Instead of compulsory military service, Ireland should force people to work with the public for a year. You never forget the hell of it.

Pensioners get far, far too much- free travel, healthcare, fuel and €200 a week on top? Most don't have housing bills and many (mainly women) never worked-didn't pay tax to earn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    hehe. Not get everything for free? Work? You fascist!

Yeah I work and pay a serious amount of taxes to fund the useless in society.

Second off can you please not call my opinion unforgivably dumb and bull****, thank you very much.

Regards the Americans, look at what they did in Vietnam, look at the amount of Corrupt dictatorships they have supported. Look at their invadings of Afghanistan and Iraq.

So you're talking about is the US, which is an entire country, and making the argument that the US as a country is as bad as Hitler? Hitler person. US country.

re: The bombing of Dresden.
    First off that was a combination of the US and the RAF.
    The only argument you could find about the bombing of Dresden during the endgame of the war in Europe is whether or not it was a target of much military importance in hindsight. You could easily argue both sides however at the time the US army believed them to be a large industrial target and bombing would help prevent any re-armament of an already mostly defeated but still fighting on nazi army. It was not a wilful massacre. It was the bombing of what was seen as a legitimate military target. Much like Hitler was attempting to do to London at the time with his V2 rockets. Which were largely unguided and couldn't be targetted specifically at all. So again, even in the instance, even at the time of the Dresden bombings, what Hitler was doing was completely on a different spectrum to the airforce and the bombing of Dresden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

So you're talking about is the US, which is an entire country, and making the argument that the US as a country is as bad as Hitler? Hitler person. US country.

re: The bombing of Dresden.
    First off that was a combination of the US and the RAF.
    The only argument you could find about the bombing of Dresden during the endgame of the war in Europe is whether or not it was a target of much military importance in hindsight. You could easily argue both sides however at the time the US army believed them to be a large industrial target and bombing would help prevent any re-armament of an already mostly defeated but still fighting on nazi army. It was not a wilful massacre. It was the bombing of what was seen as a legitimate military target. Much like Hitler was attempting to do to London at the time with his V2 rockets. Which were largely unguided and couldn't be targetted specifically at all. So again, even in the instance, even at the time of the Dresden bombings, what Hitler was doing was completely on a different spectrum to the airforce and the bombing of Dresden.

It was also a policy by Bomber Harris to make the Germans sick of war and have them lose the apatite for their traditional militarism. Toward the end of the war when the war was already won they broadened the bombing targets to non military targets, it was a terror campaign. It could be argued it was successful. Germany is now a very pacifist nation.

The scope of definition for what defined a military target certainly changed during the course of the war in the light of how it was being fought on both sides.

Using a term like "terror campaign" is somewhat overly suggestive for conduct in time of war considering the broadness of the term. You could view any legitimate move in time of war as a terror campaign because none of the bombings and killings are going to inspire anything much other than terror.

The war was not over because the defeated parties had not surrendered.

At that point you've got a huge landmass of troops deployed and losing their lives in many pointless battles for no ground gained and often in urban areas where civilian casualties are quite high.

I don't view the US conduct during the final months of the pacific and European campaigns as any way comparable to the acts of Hitler during wartime. Except, obviously, for the bits where he did a half-reasonable job of co-ordinating a legitimate military campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Did you ever hear of a 'genocidal racist regime'? Have you thought that through at all?

ROFLcopter wrote: »
    Considering plenty of people in social housing HAVE jobs, don't have medical cards and then you've made up other entitlements by calling them "free this, ****ing waiver for that"... I'm not sure they're the nutters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

What if its out of a carton and cost 4 euro? :P

Mothers should attempt to breastfeed when they are able to, putting cows 'milk' into a newborn baby should be a last resort.

Castration is the perfect deterrent & punishment against paedophiles, rapists, and people who put pineapple on pizzas.
    What if the sex offender is female?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement