Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

K-9 wrote: »
    It's means tested so the test should reflect that.

no but my point is why should your family have to provide for you? I know if I ever lived at home above the age of 18 I'd be damn well expected to pay rent and bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

no but my point is why should your family have to provide for you? I know if I ever lived at home above the age of 18 I'd be damn well expected to pay rent and bills.

Indeed.

UA has been cut for U-25's AFAIK, I'd say aimed at your point, Rent Allowance also restricted to not treat people moving out of their parents home the same as everybody else, these measures should meet your approval.

I'd suspect you want say, 18-25 year olds, living at home sons/daughters, to get no Welfare payment if living at home?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I don't know if i'm just tired or does your post not make sense but I can't get what you're saying.
    I'm simply saying that just because you're living at home doesn't mean you're not paying rent and bills the same as someone not living at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

There is no such thing as one true love, the one out of the how many billion people in the world just happened to be your neighbour or workmate :rolleyes: I would even go as far to say there is no such thing as love, people just get used to each other.

When women say they want a man who knows how to treat a woman what they really mean is they want a rich man even if they dont know it themselves.

I don't know if i'm just tired or does your post not make sense but I can't get what you're saying.
    I'm simply saying that just because you're living at home doesn't mean you're not paying rent and bills the same as someone not living at home.

Basically you should get less if living at home because the parents subsidise it? Regardless of stamps paid?

But wasn't that the original point? A what "seems" a wealthy family, their son/daughter shouldn't get the same UA as a poorer family?

Hence why we have means tests, to well, test means.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    If they have done nothing dodgy and are on Job Seekers Benefit then they should get it. JSB is related to how much PRSI you have paid. If you have paid into the system when you were working, then you should get it when you aren't, regardless of how much money you have in savings/who supports you. That's the whole point of the system.

I can understand JSA being means tested. If you have run out of contributions then what you get should be means tested. It would make no sense to give someone benefits who didn't have to pay rent/bills. It would just encourage people to never work again.

The only way it would be fair to take into account someone's circumstances when they go on JSB would be if we had a blanket tax. We don't. People who earn more pay higher taxes, so if they should find themselves unemployed then they should be allowed to stay on JSB for longer than those who earn less. The amount of money you get for both is the same so it's not like people on JSB are living the high life.

We've established that, but i dont think they should. I think if one is still living at home, it should be means tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Right Wing Conservative people are really very very cool!

Basically you should get less if living at home because the parents subsidise it?

But wasn't that the original point? A what "seems" a wealthy family, their son/daughter shouldn't get the same UA as a poorer family?

Hence why we have means tests, to well, test means.
    I think you may be misreading my posts. I'm saying (as I have all along) that just because you're living at home doesn't mean you've less expenses than someone else. I'm saying your parents income may not come into it at all in reality. If you're living at home the system assumes you're not paying rent or bills and so don't need as much money.

I If you're living at home the system assumes you're not paying rent or bills and so don't need as much money.

Well if that is the case, it doesn't seem fair. Do you have links that it is in fact the case.? Welfare usually state these things or provide details on them, welfare.ie I believe is their web address.

Well if that is the case, it doesn't seem fair. Do you have links that it is in fact the case.? Welfare usually state these things or provide details on them, welfare.ie I believe is their web address.

All it will say is your payment is based on your parents means.
    Actually sorry I don't know what i'm saying,i don't know that there's nobody living at home under 25 that's getting the full 188,its the age difference I was thinking of,under 21s get max of 150 a week or something.
    Brain needs sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

All it will say is your payment is based on your parents means.
    Actually sorry I don't know what i'm saying,i don't know that there's nobody living at home under 25 that's getting the full 188,its the age difference I was thinking of,under 21s get max of 150 a week or something.
    Brain needs sleep!

Can stupidusername & K-9 get a room, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Poetry is hardcore cardio for your brain

If you dont read any, you are mentally Obese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The only truely new invention of the last 20 years that I can think of is probably satnav. Everything else is just really advanced versions of televisions, telephones, record players etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

First time mothers are a pain in the hole, and usually replace whatever intelligence they once had with stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

latenia wrote: »
    The only truely new invention of the last 20 years that I can think of is probably satnav. Everything else is just really advanced versions of televisions, telephones, record players etc.

The collider in CERN?

Galway K9 wrote: »
    The collider in CERN?
    The first electron-positron colliders were built in Italy, at the Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare in Frascati near Rome, by the Austrian-Italian physicist Bruno Touschek. Around the same time, in the early 1960s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

sure telephones are just advanced versions of 2 cans on either end of a piece of string and electricity is just an advanced version of lightning . Televisions already existed in nature and used to be called Mirages by nomadic tribes people. The sound part used to be called Thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

The collider in CERN?

Tevatron outside Chicago is older. There are several others too. The Super Collider in CERN is just more advanced tachnalagy (say it in a Geroge Hook voice for full effect).

My offerings are as follows

3D Printer.
    3D Digital Mapping
    Exoskeleton
    Rail Gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

The 3D Printer is out there. Ingenious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The collider in CERN?

That's just a big Scalectrix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Poetry is hardcore cardio for your brain

If you dont read any, you are mentally Obese

Poetry is a bunch of worthless horsesh*t.

I remember a poetry book we had for the Leaving cert. One of the poems in it was:

"so much depends
    upon the red wheelbarrow
    glazed with rainwater
    beside the white chickens"

That's it. That was the whole poem. And there was a full page of questions about it on the next page "Oh tra lala what is the poet trying to represent metaphorically with the wheelbarrow and oh what could the colour red mean in contrast to the whiteyness of the chickens"

He looked out his window. Scrawled some sh*te about what he saw. Someone took it to be the greatest poem every written.

It's nothing. That poem is nothing. It doesn't say anything about anything. Here's a poem:

"Most poetry is sh*te
    Dogs bite
    Goodnight"

(That poem is a metaphor for how most poetry is sh*te, how dogs bite, and how the author is now exiting this thread)

benway wrote: »

The 3D Printer is out there. Ingenious stuff.

I know but it's a new invention. Ish.

Would you consider it new or just a leap from the ordinary printer?

I consider it new because it is a revolutionary fabrication technique building from bottom up internal mechinisms and all. It is called a printer to make it's concept easier to buy into.

Penn wrote: »
    Poetry is a bunch of worthless horsesh*t.

I remember a poetry book we had for the Leaving cert. One of the poems in it was:

"so much depends
    upon the red wheelbarrow
    glazed with rainwater
    beside the white chickens"

That's it. That was the whole poem. And there was a full page of questions about it on the next page "Oh tra lala what is the poet trying to represent metaphorically with the wheelbarrow and oh what could the colour red mean in contrast to the whiteyness of the chickens"

He looked out his window. Scrawled some sh*te about what he saw. Someone took it to be the greatest poem every written.

It's nothing. That poem is nothing. It doesn't say anything about anything. Here's a poem:

"Most poetry is sh*te
    Dogs bite
    Goodnight"

(That poem is a metaphor for how most poetry is sh*te, how dogs bite, and how the author is now exiting this thread)

That's a great poem, by William Carlos Williams, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure what those questions were trying to get at: for me his poetry is great because of its simplicity and lack of metaphors, similes etc. He just presents little slices of life, with maybe a little beauty shining through.

Poetry is like all art: there's good and there's bad, and there's pretentious oafs who can put you off it.
    I think there is something special about great poetry though: it can make you see things from a different perspective, to a greater extent, generally, than other forms of writing can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

all wine drinkers are pretentious ****

That's a great poem, by William Carlos Williams, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure what those questions were trying to get at: for me his poetry is great because of its simplicity and lack of metaphors, similes etc. He just presents little slices of life, with maybe a little beauty shining through.

Poetry is like all art: there's good and there's bad, and there's pretentious oafs who can put you off it.
    I think there is something special about great poetry though: it can make you see things from a different perspective, to a greater extent, generally, than other forms of writing can.

here is a poem I've just written

Forum
    Two opinions converged
    A germination of ideas
    Fields of thought grew
    Wild and unfettered
    The mass Troll extinction
    Saw a world's population dwindle
    Nought was left.
    Nought and one; one and nought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

I know but it's a new invention. Ish.

Would you consider it new or just a leap from the ordinary printer?

I consider it new because it is a revolutionary fabrication technique building from bottom up internal mechinisms and all. It is called a printer to make it's concept easier to buy into.

Mos def. Fills my heart with joy that people are inventing stuff like this. Give it 10 years and there'll be one in every home.

Mos def. Fills my heart with joy that people are inventing stiff like this. Give it 10 years and there'll be one in every home.

I can only imagine the pranking opportunities, which will mainly involve scanning your lad and sending it to people. The look on their face when they see what they've pulled out of the powder!!

Mos def. Fills my heart with joy that people are inventing stiff like this. Give it 10 years and there'll be one in every home.

And ads, "You wouldn't download your throusers!"

Em.. yes, yes I would.

Seriously I think the 3d printer is about 20 years from mass consumption, you'd need it to be able to operate in a variety of substances such as textiles and metals among others for it to be truely a household item. It will happen though, of that I've no doubt.

here is a poem I've just written

Forum
    Two opinions converged
    A germination of ideas
    Fields of thought grew
    Wild and unfettered
    The mass Troll extinction
    Saw a world's population dwindle
    Nought was left.
    Nought and one; one and nought.

That's quite good actually!

• Advertisement

I can only imagine the pranking opportunities, which will mainly involve scanning your lad and sending it to people. The look on their face when they see what they've pulled out of the powder!!

I presume the enlage feature would be engaged for most of the population!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement