Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wilberto wrote: »
    Absolutely. Water is an expensive commodity that needs to be paid for, and what better way to charge people for it than relate it to consumption.

However, of the people who are against it, the majority are opposed to it simply because we're already paying for it due to higher income tax so, in effect, we'll be paying for it twice if the income tax rates remain the same.

But yes, I don't think anyone can really argue against the logic of water metering and water charges as long as they're implemented properly.
    Didn't Tax levels drop in the last budget?

I've no mains connection. Why should I pay tax at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

water tax is fine, the people running it however are a different story.
    I dont want to see more civil servants in a cushy number doing things they havent the foggiest idea about and get bonuses on top of their outrageous pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Irish people talking about how [insert whatever negative description] Irish people are, have no sense of irony!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Irish people talking about how [insert whatever negative description] Irish people are, have no sense of irony!

You don't understand irony, so you should stop pointing it out incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

No sense of self-awareness so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Dont worry venus Ill come back to what i wrote originally. I dont have the time or the inclination at this moment to back it up. I have enough things to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Quazzie wrote: »
    Didn't Tax levels drop in the last budget?

Yes. Nowhere near enough to counteract the water charges, but yes, yes they did.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    I've no mains connection. Why should I pay tax at all?

Nor do I. However the money spent on water facilities (or whatever term would be more appropriate) is only a fraction of the income tax take. There are plenty of other areas that need to be funded through income tax, though I suspect you already knew that. ;):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I think people given life sentences should be offered euthanasia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I think competition is a bad thing. Controlled competition is ok, but generally speaking, competition guarantees that the weakest will always lose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Garlicrosemary

newmug wrote: »
    I think competition is a bad thing. Controlled competition is ok, but generally speaking, competition guarantees that the weakest will always lose.

And so the weakest should lose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The EU should disentangle itself from profit-centred privatisation propagandists.

And so the weakest should lose.

No they shouldn't. We're all equal, we should all get the same chances. Are you really saying that its right that people die of starvation while others are spending thousands on tummy-tucks? I'm 6' 2", would it be right for me to kick the sh1te out of you and take your stuff because you're "weaker" than me?

No they shouldn't. We're all equal, we should all get the same chances. Are you really saying that its right that people die of starvation while others are spending thousands on tummy-tucks? I'm 6' 2", would it be right for me to kick the sh1te out of you and take your stuff because you're "weaker" than me?

Well I'm 6'4" and train in mma so good luck with that, but I really don'the see how fighting is relevant here.

In business the most competitive companies survive, that is good for the consumer.

Competition is a very good thing, it adds more value to society and encourages innovation and efficiency.

Well I'm 6'4" and train in mma so good luck with that, but I really don'the see how fighting is relevant here.

In business the most competitive companies survive, that is good for the consumer.

Competition is a very good thing, it adds more value to society and encourages innovation and efficiency.

You obviously don't understand what competition means, it doesn't just pertain to business. Its like the food chain - it guarantees that there will only be one winner. That's bad.

You obviously don't understand what competition means, it doesn't just pertain to business. Its like the food chain - it guarantees that there will only be one winner. That's bad.

Can you give specific examples where competition is bad?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Competition needn't be a zero sum game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

And I'm a 7'10" half man, half machine with rockets in my fingertips. You will all bow before me!!! AAAAAAARRRRRGGGH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I hate mince pies, Christmas pudding, custard and Christmas Cake!!

bllleaaaghhh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I think sprouts are delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Hoop66

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Jesus. Even in a thread like this, some people have to take it too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭FionnK86

We should pay for water.

The same way we pay for someone to maintain our roads, and police our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Jesus. Even in a thread like this, some people have to take it too far.

When they are parboiled in ham water and then roasted until they are just a little crunchy - yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I think Game Of Thrones is a pile of shíte ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Any property developer who went bust shouldn't be ever allowed back in the building game .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

FionnK86 wrote: »
    We should pay for water.

The same way we pay for someone to maintain our roads, and police our country.

We already do. That's the reasoning behind the majority of protests.

When they are parboiled in ham water and then roasted until they are just a little crunchy - yum.

Hmmm, roasted sprouts. Interesting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

"I'd now like to invite the chef to come out and face us....I thought he had made a balls of the cabbage "(sprouts served)

-Brendan Grace

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I think that privatising Irish water would be a good idea.
    It would generate billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The next poster to start a dole thread in AH should be shot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

whiskeyman wrote: »

bllleaaaghhh!!
    Testify brother!

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

whiskeyman wrote: »

bllleaaaghhh!!

Christmas is fast losing it's magic as I get older. From the "traditional" foods mentioned above, to the over-bearing turkey dinner that leaves you too full to do anything for the remainder of the day (let's face it, it is over-rated), to the abhorrent expectation to put yourself in debt by spending fortunes on family/OH etc. What's worse is your seen as odd if you insist on not wanting anything for Christmas.

Another thing actually, Christmas specials on tv, and Christmas movies in general are either below-par quality wise compared to an normal episode of the programme, or are thoroughly over-rated, cheesy and badly acted (obviously with a few exceptions). And that's not to mention the Christmas songs too.

Literally the only two things about Christmas that I enjoy nowadays is the sense of wonderness, happiness and joy about santa that my young relations and kids in general still possess, and catching up with friends and acquatainces I haven't seen in a while either through emmigration, or different working or relationship circumstances (and even that is slightly tarnished due to the over-populated pubs this time of year)

Gawd, I feel like such a Grinch :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement