Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

jessiejam wrote: »
    Alcoholics and drug addicts should not get any social welfare payments. The money should be used to house them in rehab until they are better.

Facebook is the biggest load of sh1t to ever hit the internet.

Facebook reunited me with my cousin after 25 years. I'm flying to the US to see her next week. So in that respect, I gotta disagree,

As for alcoholics, what about those who work? Should they not be paid and put in rehab until they are "better"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

old hippy wrote: »
    As for alcoholics, what about those who work? Should they not be paid and put in rehab until they are "better"?

No

Wompa1 wrote: »
    No

But it's ok to basically section unemployed alcoholics and take away their money?

But it's ok to basically section unemployed alcoholics and take away their money?

Yes

Yes

Would you care to expand why out of work people who are ill should be dicscriminated against but not working people?

• Advertisement

Yes

Would you care to expand why out of work people who are ill should be dicscriminated against but not working people?

Actuall I said no working people should not have rehab paid for them and also yes people on welfare shouldn't either. I as a tax later didn't force anybody to drink, I don't want to be responsible to stop them when they get addicted. Their choice, their consequences. A government should have minimal impact on peoples lives. Invoke the will of the people and thats it. I don't want them baby sitting me or anybody else

Actuall I said no working people should not have rehab paid for them and also yes people on welfare shouldn't either. I as a tax later didn't force anybody to drink, I don't want to be responsible to stop them when they get addicted. Their choice, their consequences. A government should have minimal impact on peoples lives. Invoke the will of the people and thats it. I don't want them baby sitting me or anybody else

Addictions can derive from a number of factors in one's life - it's not always down to simply making a choice, unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Mariadancer

Even people on benefits have to pay taxes. You can't paint everyone with the same brush. I agree that the government does give too much at times though and should spend more money on education and hospitals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

The unemployment rate in Galway was 8.7% in 2002. It was 8.8% in Sligo. Those numbers wouldn't include everybody that was unemployed either. People on other forms of support such as disability, single mothers etc. I do believe aren't included in those numbers. Then take into account the fact that Galway and Sligo are student towns. Do you think the majority of people in those towns were working or not working? I grew up in Galway, many there enjoy the unemployed lifestyle and many continue to.

These figures are from a report issued in 2005 that compares unemployment in Galway in 2002 with the unemployment in the state. They are the only ones I could find.
    Area-Unemployment Rate
    State-8.8%
    Galway City and County-9.2%
    County Galway-8.7%
    For the purposes of calculating the Unemployment Rate, the CSO classifies the population aged 15 years and over
    as either inside or outside the Labour Force. The Labour Force consists of those who are at work, unemployed or
    seeking regular work for the first time. Those outside the Labour Force are those who are students, those looking
    after home/family, those who are retired, those who are unable to work and those not in the Labour Force for other
    unspecified reasons. The Unemployment Rate is then calculated as the sum of those unemployed and those
    seeking their first job as a percentage of the labour force.

what's confusing me here is that the rate of unemployment in the state is given at 8.8% whereas I was under the impression it was ~4%, anyone clarify? It doesn't seem to be a mistake as they reference the figures in the report and compare the two.

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/CommunityEnterpriseEconomicDevelopment/Inclusion/Reports/PovertyProfile/TheFile,924,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Cienciano wrote: »
    Our licencing laws are poxy. Ever see a film where Americans are bowling and having a beer? Why can't we do that! I think you can in Bray, but none of the other bowling alleys.

Stillorgan, Co. Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I became extremely hard after seeing a very young (13-14ish year old girl) very scantily clad.

I would never have done anything but the sheer sight of her made me think all kinds of thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I became extremely hard after seeing a very young (13-14ish year old girl) very scantily clad.

I would never have done anything but the sheer sight of her made me think all kinds of thoughts

Awkward... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

This begs the question how did you come to see a scantily clad 13 year old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hightimes1

Disliking or liking the country you're born in is pretty unpopular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

mackg wrote: »
    This begs the question how did you come to see a scantily clad 13 year old?

She was just resting in my account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Hard enough to beat up chuck Norris?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Bowling with alcohol can be done all over the country sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

There should be a 500 euro fine for anyone attending A&E that is over the drink drive limit. And everyone one attending A&E should be automatically tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

There should be a 500 euro fine for anyone attending A&E that is over the drink drive limit. And everyone one attending A&E should be automatically tested.

ok, I'm out celebrating my birthday, someone stabs me in the face, so I pay a pay €500 fine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

griffdaddy wrote: »
    ok, I'm out celebrating my birthday, someone stabs me in the face, so I pay a pay €500 fine?

Only if you have a face like a bulls eye target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

For anyone who has had to attend A&E on a Friday/Saturday night - this is not an unpopular opinion. It's an absolute nightmare, beyond the fact that you are in A&E and could be seriously ill. The abuse the staff take is shocking, the toilets (and at time the waiting area) are nasty (even though they are cleaned regularly) due to drunken yobs p!ssing and vomiting everywhere, intimidation and aggression in the waiting area towards other patients is a disgrace... and all this before the issue of taking up unnecessary resources due to their overindulgence. What is particularly disgusting is teenagers coming in complaining that their friends drink has been spiked and when asked how much he/she had to drink they reply "a flaggen of vodka in about 2 hours" - wtf is wrong with these people? I have witnessed so many acts of douchbaggery in the waiting room and in A&E itself that I dread it when I am told to go there, to the point of contemplating not going to aviod the whole situation - all because of drunken yobbos.

I do think "everyone over the legal driving limit" is a bit harsh but having spent one too many night in A&E, for genuine reasons, there need to be penalties for drunken eejits attending for stupid reasons. Dog knows, I have had a few nights where I overdid it but I have never ended up in A&E because of it - people need to learn a bit of self control when it comes to drink.
    griffdaddy wrote: »

Genuine reason to be in A&E and the likelihood is that if this did happen you wouldn't be an gobsh!te to anyone who was trying to care for you. I think the OP means people who are in for drink related problems but I do see your point.

As I said - anyone who has had to endure a night in A&E on a "drinking" night will not feel bad for some people being fined a ridiculous amount of money for their stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Breaking Bad is a load of shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

People on social welfare should get cashless cards with credit on them. All transactions should be tracked and monitored.

If they are spending all the dole on bookies, smokes, drink and drugs then they should be cut off.

Also agree that the random drugs tests should be put in place.
    If you want to save the economy money, why not have that sort of system implemented for politician's expense accounts? What they spend on the card could be made public at the end of each month (minus the name of the cardholder). I reckon people would soon shift from the mentality that it's everyone on the social who are wasting their hard earned tax payers money and start demanding that politicians lead by example. Of course there's no way in hell it would be allowed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Sykk wrote: »

Wash your mouth out :pac:

That film Drive is the biggest load of sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Caveman1 wrote: »

This:
    Wash your mouth out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sykk wrote: »

Just nope, its the best thing on tv at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 plumbball

krudler wrote: »
    Just nope, its the best thing on tv at the moment.

Agreed I would go as far to say it is the only decent drama on tele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

hightimes1 wrote: »
    Disliking or liking the country you're born in is pretty unpopular.

You've uncovered Bertie, Seanie and Inda's big secret and manipulation tactic. The public will let you get away with extreme corruption in this country if you bull**** about how good Ireland is. Bondholders love jupes like the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

You're right, drive is complete pish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Facebook reunited me with my cousin after 25 years. I'm flying to the US to see her next week. So in that respect, I gotta disagree,

im glad facebook works for you but i have seen way too many people upset about comments left on their page or left out of social situations that they felt they should have been there. People pretending that they have such perfect lives etc. Again. Just my opinion.

Alcoholics that are in reciept of a SW payment. Not those who work and can fund their lifestyle out of their own pockets, not out of mine. If they can hold down a job fair fuks to them. If they need to go to rehab then they would be entitled to illness benifit. I am ok with this once they are getting help. Sick sh1t of seeing alcoholics falling out of the off licence or pub on a monday evening spending money on a luxury, that I as a hard working citizen cannot afford!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement