Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Humans originate in Africa

your point is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

your point is ?

That you can't exactly argue that nature creates conditions that are unsustainable for life in Africa when it was those very conditions that gave rise to the species in the first place. As old hippy pointed out, it was what came afterwards that lead to the problems.

That you can't exactly argue that nature creates conditions that are unsustainable for life in Africa when it was those very conditions that gave rise to the species in the first place. As old hippy pointed out, it was what came afterwards that lead to the problems.

We deal in the present. To many people trying to scratch out a living on land that cannot support them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

old hippy wrote: »
    Also; see colonialism, mineral exploitation, corrupt leadership, global warming etc - and what happens to people when they try to leave all that behind and start a new life elsewhere.
    +1.
    That you can't exactly argue that nature creates conditions that are unsustainable for life in Africa when it was those very conditions that gave rise to the species in the first place.
    Well kinda, though conditions in Africa back then in the areas where modern humans (mostly*)came from were different.
    We deal in the present. To many people trying to scratch out a living on land that cannot support them.
    Outside of encroaching desert areas quite often the land isn't the problem. As old hippy notes it's not quite than simple.

*while modern humans are mostly African in origin, non Africans show interbreeding with archaic humans living outside of the place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

And if you deal in the present, without regard for the past - you cannot plan a future.

• Advertisement

And if you deal in the present, without regard for the past - you cannot plan a future.

Very deep

Very deep

Deeper than telling people they shouldn't live and breed in their own land.

Deeper than telling people they shouldn't live and breed in their own land.

Never said that. Read my post again.

Every few years mostly in Africa a country suffers from Famine or great Disease. I think nature is wonderful it has a way of tell humankind that something is quiet not right. We have a mostly dry continent with millions of people trying to live or exist there which in most regions is not sustainable. Its not a question of letting the people who are now living to die is more a question should people be living in a certain region anyway. Take away the emotional side, if you save a few million people in an area that they shouldn't/couldn't possibly survive in then it just prolongs the suffering for the next generation. I don't have the answer but surely there has to be a better way.

If the place wasn't still being ****ed by the economic systems set up by others they'd have a lot more than enough food to go around in most countries. The economic meddling doesn't help, I'll agree.

Never said that. Read my post again.

You said

"To many people trying to scratch out a living on land that cannot support them."

I presumed you were in favour of mass clearances or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Blind Apple users are the biggest idiots I come across on a frequent basis.

Apparently "internal specs don't matter" and "anything bigger than 3.5" is too big" and "the iPhone 5 will be just as, if not more powerful than the S3"

WTF? I've never had an android phone in my life but even I know that's pure BS

And then I got a red card for calling that ****wit a fanboy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

mikemac1 wrote: »
    George Best, seen as a legend but irresponsible and selfish

" I spent all my money on Drink, fast cars and women; the rest i just squandered. " :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Anti-social people should not get social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

MJ23 wrote: »

Agree with you in a way there but if it was took off them, you will find them out mugging or burgling people, some do it regardless of getting social welfare or not but there will be a definite rise of it if they didn't get welfare.

Cutting their money after an anti social behavior charge could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

People on social welfare should get cashless cards with credit on them. All transactions should be tracked and monitored.

If they are spending all the dole on bookies, smokes, drink and drugs then they should be cut off.

Also agree that the random drugs tests should be put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

People on social welfare should get cashless cards with credit on them. All transactions should be tracked and monitored.

If they are spending all the dole on bookies, smokes, drink and drugs then they should be cut off.

Ah, nice and stigmatising. :cool:

I don't really understand why someone is out of work, and trying hard to get out of that situation, shouldn't be allowed to kick back like anyone else. I'm sure you'd be delighted to have all your transactions monitored if you found yourself out of work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Dole money should be an absolute minimum amount to live in a hostel and food to live. You can then claim expenses for anything related to getting a job or help for education or substance abuse. €100 Bonuses are given every week on the condition that you are drug free, out of trouble and make an effort to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Dole money should be an absolute minimum amount to live in a hostel and food to live. You can then claim expenses for anything related to getting a job or help for education or substance abuse. €100 Bonuses are given every week on the condition that you are drug free, out of trouble and make an effort to get a job.

Given the above, I trust you're about 14.

Let's say we ignore life back on planet Earth -what would the cost implications of Drug testing over 400,000 people on a weekly basis be?

How much would expenses for ANYTHING related to getting a job or help for education or substance abuse amount to? Presumably that'd include an opiate user accessing a place on a private rehabilitation program here or elsewhere in the EU (as demand far exceeds supply in both private & public treatment centres in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

MJ23 wrote: »

Is it just me that had to read this back after originally thinking he meant loners? :pac:

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Given the above, I trust you're about 14.

Let's say we ignore life back on planet Earth -what would the cost implications of Drug testing over 400,000 people on a weekly basis be?

How much would expenses for ANYTHING related to getting a job or help for education or substance abuse amount to? Presumably that'd include an opiate user accessing a place on a private rehabilitation program here or elsewhere in the EU (as demand far exceeds supply in both private & public treatment centres in Ireland).

We're obviously talking about in an ideal world!

• Advertisement

We're obviously talking about in an ideal world!

Call me a dreamer, but in my ideal world Government wouldn't drug test 400,000 of its own citizens every week.

Call me a dreamer, but in my ideal world Government wouldn't drug test 400,000 of its own citizens every week.

I hadn't mentioned physically testing people for drugs. Practically that would be a reality although it could be optional for an extra 20 euro sort of thing.

I hadn't mentioned physically testing people for drugs.

By what other method could you definitively gauge whether people were drug-free?

By what other method could you definitively gauge whether people were drug-free?

Well you couldn't. But I was talking purely hypothetically, realistically people would lie that they hadn't taken drugs and there wouldn't be the money available for the schemes I suggested.

Well you couldn't. But I was talking purely hypothetically, realistically people would lie that they hadn't taken drugs and there wouldn't be the money available for the schemes I suggested.

Jesus.

And on that basis, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Quorum wrote: »
    Ah, nice and stigmatising. :cool:

I don't really understand why someone is out of work, and trying hard to get out of that situation, shouldn't be allowed to kick back like anyone else. I'm sure you'd be delighted to have all your transactions monitored if you found yourself out of work tomorrow.

For people who are out of work not by choice, and are trying to get back on their feet, I am genuinely sorry for. I feel for these people. I have been unemployed for long stretches in the past myself and I know what its like. It can get really depressing. I also feel for those who genuinely have difficulty in working / a genuine reason.

As for the majority of others (and I do feel its the majority) on the dole, living off the state and being a general pest to society...fvcK you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

For people who are out of work not by choice, and are trying to get back on their feet, I am genuinely sorry for. I feel for these people. I have been unemployed for long stretches in the past myself and I know what its like. It can get really depressing. I also feel for those who genuinely have difficulty in working / a genuine reason.

As for the majority of others (and I do feel its the majority) on the dole, living off the state and being a general pest to society...fvcK you!!!

http://omg.wthax.org/unemployment.png

As the graph clearly shows the unemployment rate at the height of the boom was ~4%. Now it's ~14% as the graph is not completely up to date. Since that means that 4% were out of work at the time we came closest to having jobs for everyone and an extra 10% have come on it since the work dried up. What leads you to the conclusion that the majority on the dole don't want to work. This is without even mentioning the people who leave the country every day looking for work abroad.

As has been said before there are people out there milking the system, you will get that everywhere but the idea that it is the majority of people on the dole doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

mackg wrote: »
    http://omg.wthax.org/unemployment.png

As the graph clearly shows the unemployment rate at the height of the boom was ~4%. Now it's ~14% as the graph is not completely up to date. Since that means that 4% were out of work at the time we came closest to having jobs for everyone and an extra 10% have come on it since the work dried up. What leads you to the conclusion that the majority on the dole don't want to work. This is without even mentioning the people who leave the country every day looking for work abroad.

As has been said before there are people out there milking the system, you will get that everywhere but the idea that it is the majority of people on the dole doesn't add up.

How about the majority of people who are unemployed are unwilling to work a job that they deem less that their self worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Wompa1 wrote: »
    How about the majority of people who are unemployed are unwilling to work a job that they deem less that their self worth?
    Ireland fifth at 14.5%.
    Meanwhile, new figures from the Central Statistics Office show the Live Register was effectively unchanged in April, with 100 more people signing on the register last month, bringing the seasonally adjusted figure to 436,000.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0502/ireland-has-5th-highest-unemployment-rate-in-eu.html

I'll add them to the "there are few out there bracket" but majority would require minimum 218,000 people to be of that mindset. Do Lidl, Aldi, Guiney's etc really need that many more staff?

EDIT: I suppose if you take out the 4% that just don't want to work you only need another 3.1% of the total to make a majority still that's a lot of speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

mackg wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0502/ireland-has-5th-highest-unemployment-rate-in-eu.html

I'll add them to the "there are few out there bracket" but majority would require minimum 218,000 people to be of that mindset. Do Lidl, Aldi, Guiney's etc really need that many more staff?

EDIT: I suppose if you take out the 4% that just don't want to work you only need another 3.1% of the total to make a majority still that's a lot of speculation.

My friend in Galway needed a salesman in a phone store and my sister needed 3+ workers in a clothes shop in Sligo. None of the positions ever got filled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement