Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Wompa1 wrote: »
    My friend in Galway needed a salesman in a phone store and my sister needed 3+ workers in a clothes shop in Sligo. None of the positions ever got filled.

Anecdotal evidence, I'm not saying what your saying isn't true but I could give you stories of people trying for every position under the sun and getting nothing. Neither really proves a point does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

mackg wrote: »
    Anecdotal evidence, I'm not saying what your saying isn't true but I could give you stories of people trying for every position under the sun and getting nothing. Neither really proves a point does it?

The unemployment rate in Galway was 8.7% in 2002. It was 8.8% in Sligo. Those numbers wouldn't include everybody that was unemployed either. People on other forms of support such as disability, single mothers etc. I do believe aren't included in those numbers. Then take into account the fact that Galway and Sligo are student towns. Do you think the majority of people in those towns were working or not working? I grew up in Galway, many there enjoy the unemployed lifestyle and many continue to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

For people who are out of work not by choice, and are trying to get back on their feet, I am genuinely sorry for. I feel for these people. I have been unemployed for long stretches in the past myself and I know what its like. It can get really depressing. I also feel for those who genuinely have difficulty in working / a genuine reason.

As for the majority of others (and I do feel its the majority) on the dole, living off the state and being a general pest to society...fvcK you!!!

Yes, there are layabouts who dole it up all their lives. During the Tiger years they may well have been a majority. These days? I wouldn't think so. But your idea of having transactions monitored would have to apply to everyone or no-one. Hardly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I don't think there is anything wrong with a first trimester abortion, regardless of the reasons for doing it. I don't believe for one second that that is a human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I work because I have to, I could not afford not to work, I would be homeless rapidly. But I have a mate who is 45 and is in the Army, his mortgage will be paid off next year, his 2 kids are over 18 and he could retire on a sergeants pension of about 350 to 400 a week. I asked will you retire next year and he said no, you have to do something.

You have to do something,,why, I would sooner do nothing then work, I am sure I could fill my time with my own pursuits rather then structure my life around a job. If I was in his position I would retire like a shot and never work for anyone again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I don't think there is anything wrong with a first trimester abortion, regardless of the reasons for doing it. I don't believe for one second that that is a human being.
    How convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

How convenient.
    What's convenient? It's only at 12 weeks that brain development begins. Up until then, it's just a ball of cells.

1ZRed wrote: »
    what's convient?
    The fact that yiz figured out it's not human, makes it much easier to terminate it.

The fact that yiz figured out it's not human, makes it much easier to terminate it.
    She said it wasn't a human being. It's human, but it's not that yet. It's nervous system hasn't developed by then so it's basically just a ball of cells.

I don't see any ethical issues in terminating a pregnancy before this stage because the fetus has no sense of itself or it's environment.

1ZRed wrote: »
    I don't see any ethical issues in terminating a pregnancy before this stage because the fetus has no sense of itself or it's environment.
    What about people in a vegetative state who have no sense of themselves or environment?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Colmustard wrote: »
    I work because I have to, I could not afford not to work, I would be homeless rapidly. But I have a mate who is 45 and is in the Army, his mortgage will be paid off next year, his 2 kids are over 18 and he could retire on a sergeants pension of about 350 to 400 a week. I asked will you retire next year and he said no, you have to do something.

You have to do something,,why, I would sooner do nothing then work, I am sure I could fill my time with my own pursuits rather then structure my life around a job. If I was in his position I would retire like a shot and never work for anyone again.

Probably doesn't know what to do when left to his own devices if he's been in the army that long.

What about people in a vegetative state who have no sense of themselves or environment?
    Well nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. This is a matter of choice and it's not a direct comparison because that is a person who has lived a life and has essentially died as a person. The fetus never had any sort of brain activity to even constitute what it is to live. Bacteria live also for example, but they are two different types of living if you get me.

If it was me in such a state, I would like to die. I think I should have law over my own life and if I state in writing that if ever I become brain dead that I would like to be brought off life support and allowed to die with dignity.

Probably doesn't know what to do when left to his own devices if he's been in the army that long.

Not really for him it a 9 to five job most the time and his life is outside his job. He does like his job as most army people seem to do, but he moans about it to, as all us do about our jobs.

I just think if I was financially secure with an income I could live on, I would not work, I would travel, study, take up a hobby, play golf, perhaps take a part-time job if I wanted to, I would generally live the idle and free life.

I think I would have the imagination and the versatility to structure my life around my own activities rather then work. I just feel, that "something" that people feel they have to do,,does not have to be work.

I envy his position, I know what I would do if I were him.

How convenient.

given that the VAST majority of the sex that I have had in my life has been with another woman, my views haven't been "convenient" as such.

I do not believe a clump of cells is a human being, and i have yet to see any argument to sway me on this

I enjoy going to the cinema, I go usually twice to three times a month. I was there last night watching Dredd (shyte). I don't like soft drinks, the thick sugary rotten things, so I usually sit there with nothing. I would like something, so last night I was thinking why can't I get a pint, or even bring a few cans with me. I am not talking about getting pissed, just few nice cans to sup while watching the movie.

I know they don't have a licence to serve beer and not likely to get one and it is probably illegal for anyone to drink in an unlicensed premise. But why should that be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

How convenient.

given that the VAST majority of the sex that I have had in my life has been with another woman, my views haven't been "convenient" as such.

I do not believe a clump of cells is a human being, and i have yet to see any argument to sway me on this

Define human?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I enjoy going to the cinema, I go usually twice to three times a month. I was there last night watching Dredd (shyte). I don't like soft drinks, the thick sugary rotten things, so I usually sit there with nothing. I would like something, so last night I was thinking why can't I get a pint, or even bring a few cans with me. I am not talking about getting pissed, just few nice cans to sup while watching the movie.

I know they don't have a licence to serve beer and not likely to get one and it is probably illegal for anyone to drink in an unlicensed premise. But why should that be the case.
    Our licencing laws are poxy. Ever see a film where Americans are bowling and having a beer? Why can't we do that! I think you can in Bray, but none of the other bowling alleys.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Define human?

well cheers for that Cmdr. Data.

What am I writing a philosophy thesis here?

I have no interest in fortune cookie platitude based debates. A ball of cells is not a human being in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

The Army/Navy is the handiest job in the entire country.

Great career if its your kinda thing.

Watching horse racing when you have nothing on it is fookin boring!

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Our licencing laws are poxy. Ever see a film where Americans are bowling and having a beer? Why can't we do that! I think you can in Bray, but none of the other bowling alleys.

I honestly don't know, it might have something to do with kids on a licensed premise but so what if they are. As I said I am not talking about getting pissed just having a beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm pretty sure you can get bulmers and kopparberg in vue in Liffey Valley? Before the UCI changed to the odeon there was a brief period where you could buy drink in Blanch too. There's also a bar in Movies @ Dundrum :D

I'm pretty sure you can get bulmers and kopparberg in vue in Liffey Valley? Before the UCI changed to the odeon there was a brief period where you could buy drink in Blanch too. There's also a bar in Movies @ Dundrum :D

No-way, my cinema in the Odeon in coolock and I never seen beer there. If not they maybe loosing a good customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

No-way, my cinema in the Odeon in coolock and I never seen beer there. If not they maybe loosing a good customer.

No, when the uci changed to odeon, that's when they stopped selling drink. Movies @ Dundrum is probably the best one for drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Alcoholics and drug addicts should not get any social welfare payments. The money should be used to house them in rehab until they are better.

Facebook is the biggest load of sh1t to ever hit the internet.

well cheers for that Cmdr. Data.

What am I writing a philosophy thesis here?

I have no interest in fortune cookie platitude based debates. A ball of cells is not a human being in my eyes.
    In your eyes? Again, convenient. And sorry but philosophical debate is inevitable in this case. "fortune cookie platitude"? Haha, where did you read that, a fortune cookie?

What makes YOU any more than a clump of cells, given your logic Youre just a bigger clump of cells (not calling you fat) where does your worth come from? Why is it not ok for me to kill you?

I will qualify all this by saying we cannot force women to carry a pregnancy to term and so abortion facility must be made available but at least i acknowledge the horror of what i am advocating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

^^^^^^^^^
    This thread is about OPINIONS! everyone is entitled to one weather you like it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

lil'bug wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^
    This thread is about OPINIONS! everyone is entitled to one weather you like it or not!

But thats the thing about abortion there is no right or wrong to it nor can there be. Its all opinion. What is life, whats a human life, whats an acceptable time to take a human/progenitor human life.

In your eyes? Again, convenient. And sorry but philosophical debate is inevitable in this case. "fortune cookie platitude"? Haha, where did you read that, a fortune cookie?

What makes YOU any more than a clump of cells, given your logic Youre just a bigger clump of cells (not calling you fat) where does your worth come from? Why is it not ok for me to kill you?

I will qualify all this by saying we cannot force women to carry a pregnancy to term and so abortion facility must be made available but at least i acknowledge the horror of what i am advocating.

yeah, in my eyes. also, in my body. I make the rules here, and based on the info available to me I see nothing morally wrong with first trimester abortions.

I am capable of pain, fear, and I am self aware. When 2 or more of these is true of a fetus, then it would be "a horror" to terminate.

edit - obvs, if it was self aware, that would be a horror also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

jessiejam wrote: »
    Facebook is the biggest load of sh1t to ever hit the internet.

I agree that Facebook is a load of ****e but I think shock sites are a lot worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement