Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview to change Mt Leinster channel

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Saorview retune notice
    Notice from RTÉNL. Re-scan for SAORVIEW viewers of Clermont Carn & Mt. Leinster

Following a final upgrade to the network, SAORVIEW viewers of Clermont Carn & Mount Leinster transmitters will need to re-scan their SAORVIEW televisions or boxes before Wednesday 07th November to avoid loss of service. Instructions will be found in your TV or set-top box manual. If you are unsure whether your area is affected please check the online coverage map at http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/ or call the information helpline on 1890 222 012.

Advice on re-tuning your set top box or television can also be found here. A guide to re scanning SAORVIEW Approved Equipment

Clermont Carn will change from channel 53 to channel 52. Mount Leinster will change from channel 45 to channel 23.

http://www.saorview.ie/news/notice-from-rtenl-re-scan-for-saorview-viewers-of-clermont-carn-mt-leinster/

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

If this information is not put on TV bulletins or on the radio then its feck all use to people like poor Mr and Mrs Murphy who live in rural areas and don't have a PC let alone know how to use a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Navarre wrote: »
    If this information is not put on TV bulletins or on the radio then its feck all use to people like poor Mr and Mrs Murphy who live in rural areas and don't have a PC let alone know how to use a PC.

There was a TV ad with this information this evening on RTE1.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Do the adverts say that if you have already retuned since the 25th you shouldn't need to do it again.

Most receiving Clermont Carn have probably retuned already to get UTV/C4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How does the box know which set of channels to store as my saorview box is seeing channels on both 23 and 45?

• Advertisement

Just do a manual channel scan on CH23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

How does the box know which set of channels to store as my saorview box is seeing channels on both 23 and 45?

Boxes dont care what channels are not meant to be scanned unless you tell it otherwise. It will tune in the channels with the same channel name if there are 2 muxes broadcasting them if you autoscan the DVB-T frequency spectrum.

The box depends on the user knowing what he/she is doing!

Delete all the channels and only manually scan Ch23.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

MarkK wrote: »
    Do the adverts say that if you have already retuned since the 25th you shouldn't need to do it again.

Most receiving Clermont Carn have probably retuned already to get UTV/C4.

I retuned on Sunday night to pick up the UK stations. Do I need to retune?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Larkenn wrote: »
    I retuned on Sunday night to pick up the UK stations. Do I need to retune?

You shouldn't need to.

The change they want you to pick up with a rescan was made on the 24th October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

How is this working in practice then?

Have they set Channel 45 not to show on scans or are they hoping that because 23 is higher power most boxes will opt for that signal in preference?

Wouldn't it just have been easier to have a retune day where people are told to retune from first thing on the morning of the 8th?

Saorview on Ch23 coming in well across the Irish Sea.. Have moved my aerial set up slightly to shield from any co-channel issues with Kilvey Hill which has helped.

The Cush wrote: »

marclt wrote: »

Wouldn't it just have been easier to have a retune day where people are told to retune from first thing on the morning of the 8th?

Its Ireland, Nothing is done to make life easy for people. TG4 analogue could have been sacrificed a few months ago to free up ch23 from Lenister and back then people would have been more aware that they need to make the switch to saorview. It probably would have saved a few Million €'s on the Advertising.
    Another Stupid decision and people are panicking already. I wonder will all the saorview approved installers (if they are still lurking around on the same Ph number) go back to Mrs Murphy/Nolan or Redmond living rural areas to re-tune their Approved/Unapproved boxes next Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is Mount Leinster now on full power on Ch 23?

I currently get my reception from Kippure Ch 54 which is about twice as far away from me as Mount Leinster and the signal is'nt that great on one of my TVs.

I don't get anything from Mount Leinster when I do a scan but I may need to redirect the aerial and was wondering if it would be worth my while?

I live in Laois where the N78/N80 roads meet near Ballylinan.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

recyclebin wrote: »

As the crow flies, Kippure is about 34 miles from you, Mt Leinster is 24 miles. Perhaps local topography in your vicinity may be providing you with a better path to Kippure.
    Otherwise, perhaps your aerial isn't performing quite as well on the lower channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I currently get my reception from Kippure Ch 54 which is about twice as far away from me as Mount Leinster and the signal is'nt that great on one of my TVs.

I don't get anything from Mount Leinster when I do a scan but I may need to redirect the aerial and was wondering if it would be worth my while?

Well remember Kippure is only at 63kW while Mt. Leinster is at 160kW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mount Leinster would be the preferred choice for Laois despite what RTENL say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

You need to redirect the aerial as its pointing the complete wrong way if its pointing at Kippure.

Ch 23. I do hope your existing aerial isn't a Group C/D! The complaints will start over the coming weeks about Mt Leinster coverage with people getting poorer signal as a result of using out of group aerials.

Revised Mt Leinster Timetable
    ASO: 24th Oct 2012 10:00
    Ch 23 switch-on: 26th Oct 2012 18:00
    Ch 45 switch-off: 7th Nov 2012 13:00

Clermont Carn Timetable
    ASO: 24th Oct 2012 10:00
    Ch 52 switch-on: 24th Oct 2012 13:00
    Ch 53 switch-off: 7th Nov 2012 13:00

Have they been switched off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Mt. Leinster has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

STB wrote: »
    You need to redirect the aerial as its pointing the complete wrong way if its pointing at Kippure.

Ch 23. I do hope your existing aerial isn't a Group C/D! The complaints will start over the coming weeks about Mt Leinster coverage with people getting poorer signal as a result of using out of group aerials.

I'm only using a rabbit ears Tele-Vee indoor aerial for the TV upstairs and it gets perfect reception from Kippure.

I live on a hill that faces towards Kippure. The hill probably blocks Mount Leinster as I tried moving the aerial and could not get as good signal from Mount Leinster as I did from Kippure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Clermont Carn on Ch. 53 was gone when I checked at about 2.15pm.

Apogee wrote: »
    Can someone confirm if channel 45 has indeed been shutdown on Mt Leinster?

Post #200 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Thanks - I noticed it after posting and then deleted the post (not quickly enough obviously!).

Advertisement