Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview to change Mt Leinster channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

According to a comment posted over on facebook the channel change at Mt Leinster (and presumaby Clermont Carn) will not take place until sometime in Nov.
    Marc Tierney Saorview Tech & Trade
    19 hours ago

At what time on 24th October will the Saorview signal move from ch. 45 to ch. 23 at Mt. Leinster?

Saorview Tech & Trade Hi Marc. This won't happen on the 24th October. RTÉNL have decided to do the channel change at a later date. We've been told it will be in November sometime. Again I'll post updates as soon as we have them.
    7 hours ago

http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=422890977769472&id=329691340422770

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

firkin wrote: »
    Is this for f*cking real ???

It's less than a year to the analogue switch off and they still haven't settled on the frequencies ?? !

These guys are imbeciles. :mad:

Edit:In my state of disblief I forgot to thank the OP for posting this. So thanks! And thanks to Mayo Exile for the link the RTENL document. :)

Wait until they all the transmitters go to full power in Ireland and the UK that's when the fun will really start!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

It would only be fair that at least RTE1 and 2 analogue from Mt Leinster should be extended until after the Saorview channel change for there takes place.
    They are on VHF so are completely unrelated to Saorview moving down to an ex-analogue UHF channel from there.

Otherwise some viewers will have no (or intermittent - depending on the weather) Irish TV whatsoever for a few weeks.
    As things stand, some Saorview viewers in its area have to fall back on analogue during 'lifts'.

Will current fringe analogue viewers of Mt L. with a VHF and high gain Group A UHF bother purchasing a high gain (expensive) Group B aerial (which may or may not work) just for a few weeks, after which their existing UHF aerial will work for Saorview?? I don't think so, they will just watch UK channels if they have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Likely to tie in with the technical changes at Presely on 31st October and LLanddona on 14 November

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/78398/21-8-12_Published_Freeview_clearance_retune_dates.pdf

List of channel changes, its also buried somewhere in the DUK web site:

http://www.a516digital.com/p/4g-clearance-retunes.html

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    Likely to tie in with the technical changes at Presely on 31st October and LLanddona on 14 November

Could be that alright, Peter Rhea speculated the Ch.61-62 clearance too when we first noticed that the retunes wouldn't be happening at ASO but after ASO.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Could be that alright, Peter Rhea speculated the Ch.61-62 clearance too when we first noticed that the retunes wouldn't be happening at ASO but after ASO.

Yes, and those in Louth watching IOM transmitters also have to retune in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

mrdtv2010 wrote: »

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/78398/21-8-12_Published_Freeview_clearance_retune_dates.pdf

To be honest, none of the proposed changes have any interaction with frequencies being used by Mt. Leinster. It seems to be more about making changes at Preseli that will then allow other TXs in Carmarthenshire and Devon to move about in early 2013.

Preseli HD mux moves from Ch50 to 40, whilst the COM mux on Ch49 moves to 39. A number of the in-fill tx sites will then move from 61/62 to 49/50 with slight power increases.

There is nothing to stop RTE switching off TG4 overnight on Oct 24th and powering up Saorview in it's post ASO position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

According to a comment posted over on facebook the channel change at Mt Leinster (and presumaby Clermont Carn) will not take place until sometime in Nov.

Mount Leinster Ch 45 to 23. Week beginning 12th November.

CC Ch53 to 52 Week beginning 5th November.

marclt wrote: »
    There is nothing to stop RTE switching off TG4 overnight on Oct 24th and powering up Saorview in it's post ASO position.

Something has delayed the retunes/power increase which were planned for ASO day and now put back to sometime in Nov. Coincidentally from south-west Wales all the way up to south-west Scotland incl. the Isle of Man the clearance of frequencies and power increases are taking place which finish on Nov 21st, all areas close to Ireland's east coast where 2 main transmitters are changing frequency and 1 increasing power.

We'll probably never know the reason from RTÉNL but maybe they've agreed/coordinated the delay for 3 or 4 weeks until the first phase of clearance is complete. A nuisance for households using Mt Leinster who will have to go through the retune a month or so after ASO, aerial issues etc.

STB wrote: »

Link or source, STB?

• Advertisement

Link or source, STB?

Saorview Project Team
    Nothing official, all they have said is after ASO (post #80 above). So it could be next day or the next week etc.

Revised Frequencies Rev2.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Does this mean that CC's restrictions towards NI will also not now be lifted until sometime in November?

Uploaded that revised list that evening - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80777480

I just saw your post on this page. I know you collect these things! :)

A total of Four power increases according to RTENL's doc CC and Mt Leinster to 160kw ERP, Holywell Hill to 20kw an Moville to 2kw (Max). Be interesting to see the effect.

Saorview Project Team

Maybe they simply won't have time on ASO day to do the changes, switching off 170-180 analogue transmitters?

Maybe they simply won't have time on ASO day to do the changes, switching off 170-180 analogue transmitters?

or the staff.... a question I am sure only Mick Keogh knows the answer to.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I can imagine there's a few that they'll probably forget to turn off. I for one have never seen a complete list of relays, and RTENL's list doesn't have all relays on it. (For example, it doesn't have Timoleague on it, or the relay (probably Self Help) near Mt Hillary in North Cork, I could go on). I'd imagine some have been forgotten

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Once the feeds from the main sites are gone, does it really matter whether the relays are left 'on' for a while? What needs to be done that would require a site visit anyway, in the short term?

marno21 wrote: »
    I can imagine there's a few that they'll probably forget to turn off. I for one have never seen a complete list of relays, and RTENL's list doesn't have all relays on it. (For example, it doesn't have Timoleague on it, or the relay (probably Self Help) near Mt Hillary in North Cork, I could go on). I'd imagine some have been forgotten

This Comreg list I think has all the Comreg licensed sites (incl. Timoleague) excluding the BAI licensed TV3/independant radio sites.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/Broadcast_Technical_Parameters.xlsx

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

175 sites on that list, not bad. (178 - Iorras/Mt Gabriel/Bantry pol dupes)

The "Fermoyle" site looks similar to the Mt Hillary site I was on about, and this list has Glandore which I've never seen on any other list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

We now have confirmation that Ch. 23 will close on Oct 24th with dual running of Saorview on two frequencies at Mt. Leinster...

Saorview Tech & Trade:
    Channel 23 will come on at Mt. Leinster on the 24th October. Both channel 45 and 23 will be on air for three weeks, with 45 shutting down on 14th November.

RTENL/Saorview need to make it clear that the channel changes and restrictions are being lifted in November as only then will the true extent of the overspill into Northern Ireland become clear. The 24th October - mid-November period is likely to be very confusing for RTE viewers in NI. If you don't have Freeview HD and NIMux access then you won't see any changes before then. This is a marketing mess which needs to be explained and rectified.

We now have confirmation that Ch. 23 will close on Oct 24th with dual running of Saorview on two frequencies at Mt. Leinster...

Saorview Tech & Trade:
    Channel 23 will come on at Mt. Leinster on the 24th October. Both channel 45 and 23 will be on air for three weeks, with 45 shutting down on 14th November.

Also confirmed over on Saorview's Tech & Trade facebook page that Clermont Carn will switch-on Ch.52 on Oct 24th for a period of 2 weeks in conjunction with Ch.53.
    Gerald McCloughan Saorview Tech & Trade
    11 hours ago

Hi, are there any further details about the planned change of frequency at Clermont Carn from 53 to 52 after 24th October?
    11 hours ago

Saorview Tech & Trade Hi Gerald. SAORVIEW will be broadcast on channel 52 from 24th October. Channel 53 will be shut down two weeks later (date to be confirmed). So anyone who connects to SAORVIEW for the first time on or after 24/10 will automatically go on the new channel. We will be running a full communications campaign to people in the affected areas after 24/10, across TV and radio continuity announcements, local press and radio. We will also have the information unit team ready on the phones to help people retune. Obviously we expect a lot of people to be confused about this but we will make every effort to get out enough information and provide as much support as possible.
    about an hour ago

http://www.facebook.com/saorview#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=423626151029288&id=329691340422770
    Marc Tierney Saorview Tech & Trade
    Tuesday at 22:59

At what time on 24th October will the Saorview signal move from ch. 45 to ch. 23 at Mt. Leinster?

Saorview Tech & Trade Channel 23 will come on at Mt. Leinster on the 24th October. Both channel 45 and 23 will be on air for three weeks, with 45 shutting down on 14th November.
    22 hours ago

http://www.facebook.com/saorview#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=422890977769472&id=329691340422770

Also confirmed over on Saorview's Tech & Trade facebook page that Clermont Carn will switch-on Ch.52 on Oct 24th for a period of 2 weeks in conjunction with Ch.53.

You should post this on DS for benefit of NI viewers. A most informative post!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

marno21 wrote: »
    175 sites on that list, not bad. (178 - Iorras/Mt Gabriel/Bantry pol dupes)

Some Self-helps have closed down such as one for Carigadrohid Co. Cork:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Carrigadrohid&hl=en&ll=51.893236,-8.854682&spn=0.000003,0.002017&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=42.194652,66.09375&hnear=Carrigadrohid,+County+Cork,+Ireland&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.893236,-8.854682&panoid=a1LVPVgVD_-e26dEkL-HFQ&cbp=12,225.29,,2,-6.09

Its not an area where anyone would have to get Saorsat though as the powerful Spur Hill DTT gets into the areas there shadowed from Mullaghanish.

Restrictions lifted at Clermont Carn on Oct 24th - Saorview comment on facebook
    Sean McGreal Saorview Tech & Trade

Current DTT output on ch 53 from Clermont Carn has power restrictions to the north. When ch 52 goes live on October 24th will it be without these restrictions?
    Saturday at 13:27

Saorview Tech & Trade Hi Sean. Yes, basically the restrictions are in place up to October 24th. After that date the mast will be operating on full strength, which means that many areas that have experienced coverage problems up to now, will be on full coverage - such as areas around north Co. Dublin.
    2 hours ago

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saorview-Tech-Trade/329691340422770#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=424167530975150&id=329691340422770

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

Saorview Tech & Trade:

If I remember correctly, Mt. Leinster DTT is due an increase in power. Is this going to be inherent in the change to Ch. 23 on the 24th, or will it happen at a later date (or did I just imagine the whole power change thing :o)?

tlaavtech wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, Mt. Leinster DTT is due an increase in power. Is this going to be inherent in the change to Ch. 23 on the 24th, or will it happen at a later date (or did I just imagine the whole power change thing :o)?

Didn't see any mention of it in RTÉNL's list of Saorview frequencies but if you look at the Saorview coverage checker there are a lot of red areas around Mt leinster indicating an increase in coverage at ASO.

3128baf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Why broadcast on both 23 and 45 for 3 weeks ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Remember new higher mast built at Mt. Leinster, will that be carrying new DTT aerial for ch23 ?

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=52.617905~-6.779138&lvl=18&dir=0&sty=h&form=LMLTCC

Advertisement