Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview to change Mt Leinster channel

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Antenna wrote: »
    Someone recalled that years ago, when the local radio station in Wexford (using RTE Mt Leinster) changed frequency 99.2 -> 95.6 at Mt Leinster that they simulcast on both the old and new frequencies for several months, even though no-one had to buy a new radio, or change an aerial, just retune/or reset a preset.

Now there is to be a needless 2-day gap between a complete analogue shutdown (not just TG4 or TV3 +TG4) and increased Saorview coverage that is available on existing Group-A aerials for uhf analogue.

A skeleton analogue sevice of at least RTE1, if not RTE1 and 2, should be maintained during this time of Saorview channel moves and switch-off of the ch45, there is no good reason why not. Many elderly people will need help with retuning, if RTE1 analogue was still on air they at least have that to tide them over.

What if a major news story breaks in the country whilst many people in the southeast are completely without Irish TV for at least 2 days?

Lo Call 1890 222 012 as these are the people causing the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Oops.......so how will a band B antenna perform on A ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Can you tune in the Mt Leinster analogue Group A channels, TV3/TG4?

See the graph here as an example, yellow group B aerial, reduced gain into the lower group A channels

The Cush wrote: »
    Can you tune in the Mt Leinster analogue Group A channels, TV3/TG4?

Yes they appear to be very good but I've never looked at them for any length of time

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Navarre wrote: »
    Lo Call 1890 222 012 as these are the people causing the confusion.

Better off calling RTENL 01 208 22 23.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I'll tag onto this thread as it's Mount Leinster I'm most interested in as I'm living a few miles north of Carlow.

Last week I bought one of these
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/black-wide-band-uhf-aerial.html

I hadn't check online about alignment so I sat it across my rafters & got a 75% signal when pointing West.
    I've checked the coverage map & this leads me to believe I'm aiming at Kilduff instead of Mount Leinster.
    http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

Should the aerial be aimed straight at the transmitter as common sense would dictate (aligning the longitudinal plane with the mast) ?
    In which case I should be aiming almost South & certainly not West.
    Something odd here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

And you're receiving Saorview on channel 45 (666 mHz)?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    And you're receiving Saorview on channel 45 (666 mHz)?

I'm at home now so I'm checking.
    Frequency 666MHz
    Bandwidth 8MHz

Signal quality holding steady at 77%

I've checked again & the aerial is pointing more NW than west.
    Picture is perfect so I'll leave it alone until they change to Channel 23.

The reason I got the aerial is because I had been receiving analogue with cats ears in the attic, they were only achieving 60% max with Saorview & I had a lot of picture break up.

And you know which is the 'pointy' end? In the tvtrade link, the aerial is pointing 'out' of the picture.

And you know which is the 'pointy' end? In the tvtrade link, the aerial is pointing 'out' of the picture.

That black plastic tip is aimed NW in my attic, the backing plate & clamping end is SE.
    1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263360d981730fb5e623df2bafa9d4f795377.jpg

Maybe I'm picking it up backwards if that makes any sense.
    Another fact I haven't told you is I've 2 feeds coming off this aerial, one to a TV in my kitchen & one to the master bedroom.
    Both are showing 74%+ signal quality.

• Advertisement

Did you use a proper splitter to divide the signal between the 2 rooms? Splicing cables together or forcing 2 cables into the aerial's connection are no-nos.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Maybe I'm picking it up backwards if that makes any sense.
    Another fact I haven't told you is I've 2 feeds coming off this aerial, one to a TV in my kitchen & one to the master bedroom.
    Both are showing 74%+ signal quality.

You appear to be in a very strong signal area for Mt Leinster and are picking up a good signal with the aerial "wrong way around". Turn it around towards Mt Leinster and check if the signal improves.

Did you use a proper splitter to divide the signal between the 2 rooms? Splicing cables together or forcing 2 cables into the aerial's connection are no-nos.

Ooops, that's exactly what I've done, I've 2 coax cables running off a single aerial point.
    I had to cutout the boot to allow both cables through then pinched both copper ends on the single screw.
    Technically speaking then I should be halving my potential signal but both receivers are showing 74-78% & holding steady, no picture breakup.
    I'm halfway between Castledermot & Carlow so maybe it's just my proximity to Mt. Leinster that's letting me get away with this.

The aerials are only €12 so I'll get a second one if problems crop up.
    The Cush wrote: »
    You appear to be in a very strong signal area for Mt Leinster and are picking up a good signal with the aerial "wrong way around". Turn it around towards Mt Leinster and check if the signal improves.

I've only an a-frame ladder to push off while getting into the attic, it's a bit risky, I'll get the missus to hold it some evening & see if I can fine tune it.
    I'd be a good test case for idiots doing home installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

Anyone know if channel 23 has begun broadcasting from mount Leinster mast? Because I'm now receiving a great digital signal this eve, whereas before I had nothing or on a good day a pixilated screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Damer wrote: »
    Anyone know if channel 23 has begun broadcasting from mount Leinster mast? Because I'm now receiving a great digital signal this eve, whereas before I had nothing or on a good day a pixilated screen!

Did you do a retune today?
    I would not expect your TV or box would have switched to channel 23 without a retune.

Yes channel 23 is now live :) according to saorview coverage map
    http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

MarkK wrote: »

Did you do a retune today?
    I would not expect your TV or box would have switched to channel 23 without a retune.

Yes did one this morning after analogue switch off and got nada but tried again this evening not expecting anything but joy of joys I have irish channels! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Well fair play to RTE NL this was not due to happen until the 26th, other work today must have gone well! :D

Sorry to quote myself but it's 100%/100% on ch 23 now

Sorry to quote myself but it's 100%/100% on ch 23 now

Good to hear you're sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why is Ch23 weaker than Ch45?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I see no difference. Are you using a grouped Aerial ???

This from Saorview's Tech & Trade facebook page
    Saorview Tech & Trade

We can confirm that both Clermont Carn and Mount Leinster are now broadcasting from the new channels. They will continue to broadcast simultaneously from both the old and new channel until 7th November.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saorview-Tech-Trade/329691340422770#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=436944296364140&id=329691340422770

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Marked improvement in the Riverchapel area of Co. Wexford since Ch. 23 started broadcasting. Signal strength has not improved too much, probably about 4 percentage points but signal quality is 100% on loft aerial and 90% even on a €2 indoor aerial. Picture is rock steady.

I thought it was stronger! Not able to pick up channel 45 except on a good day here near Castlecomer but picking up great signal from channel 23 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MustangMick

Panasonic 42" G10B ('09 one with the Saorview issues)

Should be interesting the hoops I'll have to go through for a retune for Clermont Cairn (Dundalk) . Better dig out the old forum posts on this.......

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have Saorview in Waterford (coast).I presume we are picking up Mount Leinster. All good except that there is still a small bit of pixilation on RTE occasionally. Not enough to be concerned about, I would have thought, but I am listening to complaints about it. Should I wait and see or is it worth getting the guy back to fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Damer wrote: »
    I thought it was stronger! Not able to pick up channel 45 except on a good day here near Castlecomer but picking up great signal from channel 23 :)
    Fixed the problem by adjusting the gain. All good now.

I seem to be getting the odd dropout in the last hour or so on 23
    At one stage the TV went into shut down mode due to no signal
    (I'm listening to radio)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

I think there have been problems with the radio services. stations dropping out but the tv channels have been fine.

Advertisement