Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

I've a spare croke park standing ticket if anyone is stuck.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,870 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A few pics

Oh What a Night!

Stuck in the Middle with You

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Genghis

My wife and I were in Kilkenny back in 2013 on the day of the show. The buzz around town that fine day was unreal, so much so we very nearly dropped our two under-2 kids home to Granny to come back down for the show on touted tickets.

When we heard 10 years on he was coming back this year we immediately the two best tickets available – spending probably twice what we would normally pay.

As we arrived into Kilkenny yesterday, it was avery similar day to 2013 – beautiful sunshine, great craic around the bars in town, a proper good time feel about. We didn’t quite get down early enough to soak it all up, got parked near enough the stadium at 5-ish and just heading on in. When we made it to our seats, we were really happy with them. We werein the main stand, about 10 rows back from the pitch, a little higher than stage height but with a completely clear view to the set. These were better seats than any outdoor event or even three arena event we’d gone to. OK so the seating was a little ‘tight’ and yes, no backs, so not the most comfortable, and maybe the sound might have been better in front of stage, but still we had no complaints.

Everyone around us was properly enjoying the show, no chatter, bit of sing along, lots of hand-waving, etc. Generally an older crown in my area, but obviously it may have been completely different down on the pitch. I certainly seen people from all age groups equally enjoying the show.

And what a show, what a man. From the first song of the night (had me in tears) to the last, I loved every single moment. He was very genuine with anyone he interacted with, you can see he is a man of the people. His work rate was incredible too, I know he is famed for his 3-hour shows, with no support or interval, but its still a marvel to see – some of the band would have had breaks depending on the song, but Bruce was a full part of every one of his 30 or so songs, 200 or so minutes.

Have no doubt, Bruce very much still has it for a lad in his mid-seventies, on guitar, vocally and on his feet. Easy to see he clearly wants to be here, he clearly cares about putting on the best show, its far from a testimonial / farewell tour and I would hope to see him back in Kilkenny again.

I though the venue was reasonably well organised – only gripe would be they had 6 security checkers on our gate, 4 male, 2 female. As ladies were more checked (bags, etc), that was slightly ridiculous, men getting through fast but having to wait then on their partners. I thought the toilets were good, security good in general, etc. There could have been more food options for sure, long queues most of the time, but as events go I thought the pricing was just about fair enough (€6.50 a pint, I was expecting €7/€7.50), and quality fairly good (coffee and chips).

The night will live long in the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

But then they can't say 'oh, I was at Bruce Springsteen last night, what a show'
    That is literally all these people want to do, attach themselves to something good/popular while drinking expensive pints and haviung paid €145 for the privilage.

It needs a social study……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

They usually have two stages, so Belfast stage goes to Cork, KK stage goes to Dublin.

edit - sorry this uestion already answered

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Remember reading before they have about 6 or 7 stages, or parts of stages based in Europe. Between mainland Europe, Spain and Sweden I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its usually 2 stage rigs, i.e the metal or carbon fibre frames but only 1 video and audio setup.

Bruces stage is pretty basic, its the old square box metal frame and 2 screens either side so its generic enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,087 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What a gig, absolutely shattered today

Brilliant buzz around the place, great start with a tribute to Shane McGowan and then 'Lonsome Day' was good. Could definitely see the crowds intrest wane a bit for the 'lesser know songs' but really picked up for the 'hits'. Don't know why 'Thunder Road' hit me so hard and was my stand out song of the night. Tbh would of took 'BITU' over 'Because The Night' and 'This Hard Land' over 'I'll See You In My Dreams'. Bruce is just a fantastic showman and Stevie is just a cool cat. Was great to finally hear a good live version of 'Ghosts'

Ques for food and drink were pretty slow moving at times, Rockshore is horrid stuff. Who's bright idea was it to close the toilets at 21.45 ?

Hopefully won't be my last time seeing Bruce but think it may be the last time in Kilkenny

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭fafy

On the Rockshore, I thought this was common knowledge, Aiken Promotions are locked in exclusively to Diageo only products, so at any Aikens outdoor event, including their Vicar Street venue, its only Diageo products. Its the exact opposite for MCD, only Heineken products at their Olympia venue and all of their outdoor events.

These big gigs always attract the FOMO brigade, who just want to be there, and have a passive interest at best, in the music, and usually go to just 1 or two big events per year, and are there to mainly drink as priority #1, rather than to watch live music, you can reduce the chances of being around them by heading in early, and getting into the pit, and move around accordingly, to control your own experience, for people who can’t stand that long, options at back for leaning on the barrier.

As for seats, ya they are never great, a risk of a sub par atmosphere, higher risk of constant talking over songs they don’t know, particularly the deeper cuts, and even worse than that, you could be stuck with a crowd of assholes, then there is the constant bar trips, followed by toilet trips, no thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,880 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Fanirish

the exclusivity of Diageo/Heineken is always causing headaches. No Guinness in 3 arena, Olympia or the academy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭fafy

agree, its an appalling monopoly, 2 players are fully controlling every single major event, and major venue.

Heineken also have EP sown up for years.

There must be some sizeable payouts/incentives for this “exclusive pouring rights” setup, as its called.

Heineken have had the biggest music festival here locked up since 2003 with Oxegen then with EP.
    Yeah rebates/payouts in the 7 figures from Heineken/Diageo respectively. Paying for bar renovations etc as well.

between EP/malahide/marlay/3 arena/Olympia you are talking about at least a few million pints of Heineken products being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Rockshore lager is a shamefully bad product from Diageo.

Found it

In Europe, we have 4 main systems based out of Belgium, 2 Spanish systems and 3 different systems for our Nordic region. 

https://brucespringsteen.net/news/2012/wrecking-ball-tour-by-the-numbers/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Anyone know if the pit queue for Croke park will be the same as 2016? Thinking of heading in on Saturday afternoon to check it out.

They started queuing for numbers on Sunday when the Kilkenny gig was still on…..

Yes really

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭TenPicnics

Re the numbers, those people who queue days before want numbers on their hands to get front rows of the pit, up at the barrier in front of the stage. That still leaves the pit available to thousands of normal punters who turn up a couple of hours before the gig, when gates open, and even just before the gig starts in some instances. Croke Park pitch standing is a different experience entirely if you get into the (massive) pit versus 'normal' standing. The latter is the worst standing experience I've ever had, crap view and sound, lots of the crowd around you are only there for 'the hits', and you've miles to go to get to toilets/bar while waiting for the concert to start. Get in early and get into the pit is my advice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In 2016 they were giving out pit passes before getting ticket scanned, was able to get wristband early then head off to the pub before heading back into the gig at a normal time :)

• Advertisement

Hoefully the case for Sunday. Ive no interest in this numbers/standing around all day in a carpark bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Yes it was a treat. I've been to the 5 shows since. Not happened again sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

where do people go to sell tickets these days. I’ve two upper hogan that I had on adverts and just got removed and warned so this disgrace of a monopoly that TM has is getting so out of hand. The resale admin fees are 20 quid. How are we as a country standing for this. Coldplay the same. It’s gone crazy.

Don’t want to break any boards rules but really don’t want these tickets going to waste when I could sell them for 120 quid each or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yes, it seems like some monopolies can be questioned and others not. I'm sure the EU and Ireland Inc will do something about this.

If they are digital tickets you can only sell via ticketmaster. It would have to move from your account to buyer digitally via ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

Seems to be lots of Bruce

tickets available

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

you can transfer the digital tickets on ticket master which I did for a few others. Just think it’s gone bonkers tbh. Saw Coldplay last time in croker. I’d say was half the price then and they were just as big back then too.

sure the cost of all parts of touring a massive show like that have skyrocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This is why the resale legislation introduced in Ireland is deeply flawed, its anti consumer.

It was a mistake to introduce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭TenPicnics

There are so many Bruce tickets up for resale on Ticketmaster for Croke Park people will have to drop prices to offload them. Very likely to happen again with any other big act where tickets were bought at full or premium prices months ago. As predicted at the time of Bruce, Taylor and Coldplay going on sale back then. Waiting and picking up resale tickets is always a realistic possibility with such a big venue and 10s of thousands of people panic buying the minute tickets go on sale.

Advertisement