Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Agreed. Unanimous praise across the board. Could easily become one of those gigs where, years from now if talking about Bruce shows, the question will be, "Did you see him in Kilkenny in 2024?"

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It looked an amazing gig, envious of all you that went. Time will tell if I made the right decision to see him in the Netherlands next month instead of Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭MfMan

Super concert. Racing in the Street is such an anthem but I prefer his slower, more balladic songs anyway rather than his 'noisier' hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Think Kilkenny might have just become a place that Bruce fans internationally view fondly. Thats 3 fantastic performances he's given in a (relatively) tiny place vs other tour dates.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,760 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A T-shirt worth holding onto for decades to come

Not only did we get an extra 15 minutes compared to the two earlier gigs, but we got a warm-up. He was clearly enjoying every minute of it. Except I guess when he dropped down into the pit to then realise clambering back over the fence at his age is no longer straightforward! Had to get someone in security to jump in and help lift him back, as I suspect the fans around him were happier with him staying there!!

And even the weather respected the Boss

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

I’m still buzzin. He’s just the GOAT. How he still has the energy and the obvious pleasure in what he’s doing after 50 odd years I just don’t know. Fantastic night in KK 😊.

Is it even possible for him to top the energy, emotion and élan in Cork? I doubt it, and im going.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Bruce and the band put on some performance alright, with some great bits of fun in between too. Great performers, they're still top of the game for sure.

Was really disappointed with everything else about the night though tbh. The organisation was amateur at best with lengthy delays to get in and some real ugly scenes of crowd vs queue skippers vs stewards outside and the stewards put in an awful position. They really cheaped out on basic stuff like hiring barriers and the number of people scanning tickets.

Was also about mid pitch with the parents who wouldn't be into getting anywhere more crowded and the crowd was really shocking for a lot of the gig. Any lesser known songs were completely talked over and most people seemed like they were completely indifferent to who was playing and they just saw it as an evening out. Was really disappointed for my parents who are big fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I was in block A of the longer stand, and at least down that end the chatter from the crowd was constant. They seemed disinterested tbh and only got going when the better known songs were played in the last 30-40 minutes. The pit looked really up for it and i'd say the atmosphere was great down there. Over 3 hours of non stop music is some going for a band of their vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭MfMan

Just this. If you want to spend your time drinking beer, getting drunk and chatting to friends, go to the pub. If you come to a concert, shuddup and listen to the performer.

• Advertisement

I think this is one of the reasons why pit/pit culture is to the fore with Springsteen…

The shows are so long, the catalog is so deep, meanwhile people's attention spans are narrow yet their consumption of booze at these big outdoor summer events is (at least from my perspective) vast.

Makes for a heady enough experience if youre there for the music and want to share it with likeminded heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I don't get people who talk (loudly) all the time at concerts. Also, they or someone spends a fortune on a ticket and travel and even accommodation for them. And they ruin it for others. WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I wasn't drinking so I could see and hear things clearly, including the crowds response / interest.

The die hards loved it as they know the back catalogue.

The casual fans which were the majority, genuinely responded very well to the well known hits, but when there was 5-6 lesser known tracks in a row, they became disinterested quickly.

It didn't take away from the experience for me at least. Bruce's voice was ropey during Lonesome day and for a few songs nearer the end, but for a man in his mid 70s, him and his band were excellent overall.

His voice was far better than Belfast, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Irish crowds can be awful for this behaviour. Ever been sat up the back at a comedy gig in the Three Arena? Woeful.

Same for any of these big events really. I remember U2 in Slane. Was initially quite far back but moved up because the gang of jabronis in front of me were treating it like a piss up in the local park. Then some clown lit a newspaper on fire, chucked it into the air but it landed on him and set his hair and face on fire.😎

Essential to be in the pit if there is one. More room, less chatting, easier to get to toilets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭larry1

100%, it was just sensational. I've seen him many, many times over the past 35 years and it ranks as one of his finest shows. Racing in the Streets was just mind blowing, nice upload here

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

I was in the seated area in the big stand and could see the pitch crowd from about the middle back were only getting into it when he played the big familiar stuff. I suppose it's a long time to be standing and it's one song after another with no let-up (…fair play to him!) Still, it might be his last gig in KK so I can't understand people not appreciating the moment and the privilige of being there.

But the screen shots of the people in the pit more than made up for it. They were on fire! I would have loved to be in there with them. Great atmosphere overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

My wife and I were in the pit, even there some dickheads never shut their mouths. Also,we have an awful culture in this country of turning up late to get into events.The amount of Rockshore cans on the ground when we were exiting after the show was insane.

It was a wonderful show, one of Bruce's greatest,but thousands there never realised that due to their bad behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Bruce still using the big old box stage, he must want to die in that thing.

He really should have a better stage and a B stage for the money he is charging.

A B stage and walkway would be great, it doesnt have to be him on it all the time, people would love to see Nils, Stevie and Jake up close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Promoters dont help things when they serve up bongwater like that

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

About 5 or 6 women ploughed across us to take their seats during Rainy Night in Soho and in the middle when the music swells a bit they all decided it would be a great time to start dancing while still making their way to their seats. What do people be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

There are alot of pig ignorant people out there, most are pissheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

For me it was a good performance but I enjoyed some of his previous shows more. I thought the organisation at the venue was shambolic. The queuing going in was a mess. People were jumping the queue. The food stalls were too far away and there wasn't enough food options. I was surprised by the amount of drunk people. A lot of people seemed to want a p*ss up and had no interest in the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭This is it

It's my main issue with seated tickets, you can't move if you're beside a bunch of arseholes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

well…. where to begin….. definitely seemed to be a lot of people who just went to go, no interest in the songs, wouldnt dance if their lives depended on it dry sh:tes. they ran out of non alcoholic drinks about hslf way through, disgraceful with what kids and u18s were there. last song of the night was p:ssing in the street with the venue closing the toilets an hour before the finish but selling booze to the last monent. dont start me on the 40 minute carpark gridlock…. so thats the bad

Bruce was amazing giving it his all for a man of his years he was outstanding, i dunno he literally left it all on the field and with a smaller stadium its always way more intimate. Felt a lot more heartfelt than the last gig.

now i hate to say it, but when he was singing the last song see you in my dreams i could see the crew at the side of the stage hard hats on waiting to take it down as soon as he was done, and i dunno i just got a strange feeling, it felt almost funeraly….. so i hope we will see him again in kk sometime.

thanks Bruce, legend, icon and last night the cats whiskers!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Kilteragh

I heard they've turned to the drink since the hurling is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I've seen that happening with the crew in the RDS years ago, they were already on the stage dismantling before I left the arena and I remember seeing some of the big trucks had already started up, so that's not something new for a venue with just one show.I'm sure it was a case last night of getting it down,loaded up and on to Cork for Thursday's show.

Post edited by TheRiverman on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fanirish

councils give strict times for taking down outdoor stages and the Kilkenny stage went straight to croke park to be set up for Sunday. The Belfast stage was sent to Cork for Thursday.

Advertisement