Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabinet to scrap all grants for postgrad courses.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Malam

I'm totally frustrated with the whole situation. I completed a level 7 BA part-time in my hometown 2007-2011. The course was part-time and and held locally off-campus. Despite the fact that I had to pay tuition fees it was going to work out cheaper as rent was cheaper than the cities and I could work full-time. Unfortunately, I lost my job the summer after my first year. :mad:

Ever since, I have been in receipt of JA and had to move home. My mother helped me with the fees and I received a €1000 from social welfare towards them in my third year and with a student bursary received €1400 in my final year.

I now find my degree pretty useless to me, particularly in these economic times and I find myself in need of upskilling. It is all but a level 7 afterall. I hoped to go on to complete a conversion HDip in Social Policy (related indirectly to my primary degree) with the view to eventually completing a Masters in Social Work.

Before the budget I would have been entitled to full maintenance and tuition fees based on my mothers means. I think it's crazy that it hasn't just been cut for postgrads but that it was wiped completely with little notice.

I have applied for a CE scheme relevant to the Hdip which would look good on my application. However, when you take up a CE scheme you are no longer classified as unemployed, therefore precluding me from applying for BTE even though on a CE sheme I would be earning just €208 which is only €27 more than what my income is now. I would only hope I could pick up part-time work to top it up.

So now I am in a pickle. Should I remain unemployed for the next 9 months in the hope of receiving BTE or should I for my sanity and experience take the CE scheme if it was offered to me. I am not entitled to a medical card as I work one day a week making me €31 over the maximum income. I have monthly prescription bills of €100 for an ongoing condition, yet I still try kid myself into thinking I can save enough in time for Sept!!!:rolleyes:

What now?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dougal McGuire

Hi, Im just after getting accepted into a masters in UL.
    Im currently in 4th year and got the full grant and tops up from 1st to 3rd year , however my grant was cut in 4th year (which Im currently in) as I was within whatever certain of miles from the college.
    just wondering, seeing as my grant got cut in 4th year , would that effect me getting my fees paid for the postgrad course?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Im currently in 4th year and got the full grant and tops up from 1st to 3rd year , however my grant was cut in 4th year (which Im currently in) as I was within whatever certain of miles from the college.
    just wondering, seeing as my grant got cut in 4th year , would that effect me getting my fees paid for the postgrad course?

Well you're means tested every year so was the cut due to the change in the rule for non adjacent students? Or was it because of your families income levels increasing?

You will be assessed again for next year and if your family's income is too high for what used to be the special rate top up then no you won't get your fees paid but you may qualify for €2000 towards your fees

augusta24 wrote: »
    Well you're means tested every year so was the cut due to the change in the rule for non adjacent students? Or was it because of your families income levels increasing?

You will be assessed again for next year and if your family's income is too high for what used to be the special rate top up then no you won't get your fees paid but you may qualify for €2000 towards your fees

the grant was cut as i was too near colllege as they bought in a new rule back last year saying that if your within a certain distance of college then your grant will be cut.

families income has stayed the same throughout. im confident that il get my fees paid for me based on my families income as i was getting the full grant and top ups before hand. im just wondering whether the distance to college would have an affect on me getting my fees paid

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

no one can really answer this for another 6 or 7 months - but my guess is they probably wouldn't be paid but you might get a contribution towards them

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Smudge_pot

Can anyone offer some advice? I did my undergraduate in Maynooth without any grant assistance as my parents' income was too high. Since I graduated, I have moved out and am receiving Jobseeker's Allowance, and am officially cohabiting with my boyfriend. I am hoping to do a Master's in Galway this September. I am under 23. Is it likely that I will recieve at least some funding towards my fees?

Smudge_pot wrote: »
    Can anyone offer some advice? I did my undergraduate in Maynooth without any grant assistance as my parents' income was too high. Since I graduated, I have moved out and am receiving Jobseeker's Allowance, and am officially cohabiting with my boyfriend. I am hoping to do a Master's in Galway this September. I am under 23. Is it likely that I will recieve at least some funding towards my fees?

There has to be a 3 year gap between when you graduate and when you reenter the education system in order to be considered as independent of your parents. I'm also certain that you would have to be means tested based on your parents income. That is in the 2011/2012 rules - however this could change in 2012/13 - I don't foresee that though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stillwater100

Hi All,

I am on the same boat as the previous poster dougal above,got accepted into a masters in UL,have received a full fee's and maintenance grant for the previous 4 years,I was wondering could anyone tell if I will receive the grant for my masters also,and if so,do I have to fill out all the forms again?

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

I am on the same boat as the previous poster dougal above,got accepted into a masters in UL,have received a full fee's and maintenance grant for the previous 4 years,I was wondering could anyone tell if I will receive the grant for my masters also,and if so,do I have to fill out all the forms again?

You can apply for a grant towards your fees but NO maintenance. There will be two rates of fee grants - 2000 and a second rate that hasn't been announced yet but will probably be around the 6000 mark

Terry Pratchet

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7232/maintenance-grant/index.html
    B: Fees and Maintenance Grants for new entrants to postgraduate studies

Students entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year onwards will not be entitled to any maintenance payment under the Student Grant scheme

However, students on the lowest level of income entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year who qualify for the special rate of grant will be eligible to qualify to have tuition fees paid up to the maximum fee limit under the Student Grant scheme

A limited number of other low-income students who would previously have qualified under the standard grant thresholds will qualify to have a €2,000 contribution made towards the costs of their fees. However, there will be a new income threshold for this payment which will be lower than the standard grant threshold. The income threshold for this level of grant is currently being determined in the context of the formulation of the student grant scheme for the 2012-13 year.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

So it's pretty much as we guessed.

Those who would have got the top up grant get up to 6,000.
    Those who would have got normal grant payments get 2,000.

It's just that they've lowered the income levels to make it even harder for people to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

What is the actual cut off for the lowest level of income before students would only qualify for the €2,000 assistance? I'm in my final year now and I got a grant this year and last year, but I know I would probably only jsut get in to the €2,000 bracket by the skin of my teeth if I was applying for a MA/Msc. €2,000 really isn't all that much if you want to do one that costs €9,000 :/

What is the actual cut off for the lowest level of income before students would only qualify for the €2,000 assistance? I'm in my final year now and I got a grant this year and last year, but I know I would probably only jsut get in to the €2,000 bracket by the skin of my teeth if I was applying for a MA/Msc. €2,000 really isn't all that much if you want to do one that costs €9,000 :/

See here

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7232/maintenance-grant/index.html
    B: Fees and Maintenance Grants for new entrants to postgraduate studies

Students entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year onwards will not be entitled to any maintenance payment under the Student Grant scheme
    However, students on the lowest level of income entering new postgraduate courses from the 2012-13 academic year who qualify for the special rate of grant will be eligible to qualify to have tuition fees paid up to the maximum fee limit under the Student Grant scheme
    A limited number of other low-income students who would previously have qualified under the standard grant thresholds will qualify to have a €2,000 contribution made towards the costs of their fees. However, there will be a new income threshold for this payment which will be lower than the standard grant threshold. The income threshold for this level of grant is currently being determined in the context of the formulation of the student grant scheme for the 2012-13 year.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Calleja

there will be a new income threshold for this payment which will be lower than the standard grant threshold.

Does anyone know what the standard grant threshold is? Are they referring to the 'Standard rate-25% maintenance' or something else?

Calleja wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the standard grant threshold is? Are they referring to the 'Standard rate-25% maintenance' or something else?

It's not fully clear what the Dept mean

The current cut off rate for the std rate 100% is €41,110
    The current cut off rate for the std rate 25% is €47,205

BUT the income limits are going to change anyway

Maybe contact your local TD and ask them to submit a parliamentary question something like this:

Could the Minister clarify his answer to Deputy Eamon O'Cuiv on 6th March 2012 regarding fee grants for postgraduate students what he means by "There will be a new income threshold for this payment which will be lower than the standard grant threshold." Specifically - is the standard grant threshold relating to the 100% rate or the 25% rate?

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2012-03-06.689.0&s=third+level+fees

Terry Pratchet

Jaysus, you'd nearly have to be earning nothing at all to qualify for the special rate grant. I would love to know the numbers for those eligible.

when and where can one apply to have postgrad fees paid?

anyone hear back from the SUSI yet about whether your getting your fees paid for? rang them today and they said that Im not at the decision stage yet. they seem to be very slow. need to know by 2 weeks time like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

anyone hear back from the SUSI yet about whether your getting your fees paid for? rang them today and they said that Im not at the decision stage yet. they seem to be very slow. need to know by 2 weeks time like

I am the exact same, I've to pay full fees in under 2 weeks and wanted to know whether I was even considered yet! :cool:

I am the exact same, I've to pay full fees in under 2 weeks and wanted to know whether I was even considered yet! :cool:

Obviously I understand that you won't know for sure until they get back to you, but I knd the guidelines fairly straightforward now, so surely you should have a fair idea of whether you'll get it based on your total I come for 2011....

• Advertisement

I got my letter from SUSI saing that I'm not eligible for even €2000 assistance. Absolutely devastated to be honest, have to come up with €6000 now for fees, really thought I would have gotten it. Feeling majorly frustrated at the moment, loan here I come :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Steevy

I got my letter from SUSI saing that I'm not eligible for even €2000 assistance. Absolutely devastated to be honest, have to come up with €6000 now for fees, really thought I would have gotten it. Feeling majorly frustrated at the moment, loan here I come :(:(:(

Remember that since you're not eligible for grant and your Fee Status is EU rate of Fee, you must keep paying €6000 through the course of your studies.
    Once you start paying, it can never be changed so think carefully if you really wanna go to college and if you can afford it.

Steevy wrote: »
    Remember that since you're not eligible for grant and your Fee Status is EU rate of Fee, you must keep paying €6000 through the course of your studies.
    Once you start paying, it can never be changed so think carefully if you really wanna go to college and if you can afford it.

Ah yeah, I know that. Going to go with either the credit union or Bank of Ireland loan scheme, I think. This is the course I want to do- I would have had to pay €4000 minimum but I genuinely thought I'd be eligible for €2000 at least from the government, still a lot of money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Ah yeah, I know that. Going to go with either the credit union or Bank of Ireland loan scheme, I think. This is the course I want to do- I would have had to pay €4000 minimum but I genuinely thought I'd be eligible for €2000 at least from the government, still a lot of money :(

Don't touch the Bank of Ireland loan scheme-Ulster Bank do something very similar for an interest rate roughly half of Bank of Ireland's.

Don't foget that you can get a tax refund. That could reduce your fees by maybe about 1000. If your parent or someone earning and paying tax pays the fees they can claim a tax rebate

Terry Pratchet

Steevy wrote: »

Why was it that you thought you'd get the €2000? If you really thought that, it could be a mistake by susi?

Don't touch the Bank of Ireland loan scheme-Ulster Bank do something very similar for an interest rate roughly half of Bank of Ireland's.

Just an option, trying to explore all possibilities. Looking at a credit union loan as well.

Don't foget that you can get a tax refund. That could reduce your fees by maybe about 1000. If your parent or someone earning and paying tax pays the fees they can claim a tax rebate

I'll be getting a loan out to pay the fees though, parents don't have any money at all for it.

augusta24 wrote: »
    Why was it that you thought you'd get the €2000? If you really thought that, it could be a mistake by susi?

Because I had previously qualified for reg fees being paid and a maitenance grant for my degree. My parents want me to appeal it but there seems no point because if it's above the income threshold then SUSI won't budge on the decision.

I'll be getting a loan out to pay the fees though, parents don't have any money at all for it.

Anybody can claim a tax rebate on the fees. This is a way of saving yourself 800 euros. What you do is - you get the loan give the money to anyone earning full time and paying taxes - they pay the fees on your behalf. they claim a tax refund and give back to you.

So if you have a friend or parent or sibling or relative ask them to do this for you. It saves you money.

What happens is for example you get the 6000 loan. You give this 6000 to a friend or parent (anyone working and paying income tax) - they pay the fees in your behalf. they get a receipt from the college. they claim tax relief and they give you back what they have claimed

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

Terry Pratchet

Anybody can claim a tax rebate on the fees. This is a way of saving yourself 800 euros. What you do is - you get the loan give the money to anyone earning full time and paying taxes - they pay the fees on your behalf. they claim a tax refund and give back to you.

So if you have a friend or parent or sibling or relative ask them to do this for you. It saves you money.

What happens is for example you get the 6000 loan. You give this 6000 to a friend or parent (anyone working and paying income tax) - they pay the fees in your behalf. they get a receipt from the college. they claim tax relief and they give you back what they have claimed

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

Ah, ok so my parents will be taking the loan out on my behalf from the credit union (I don't have a CU account....I know, I know!) so, because it's in their name anyway, when it comes to paying the fees, it just goes in their name and then they can claim it back? Only thing is, both pay taxes but neither are really working full time hours. My Dad will shortly be going back to a 3 day week with in his job- will this still qualify? :/

• Advertisement

Ah, ok so my parents will be taking the loan out on my behalf from the credit union (I don't have a CU account....I know, I know!) so, because it's in their name anyway, when it comes to paying the fees, it just goes in their name and then they can claim it back? Only thing is, both pay taxes but neither are really working full time hours. My Dad will shortly be going back to a 3 day week with in his job- will this still qualify? :/

It doesn't matter who's name the loan is in. That's irrelevant. Once you get the money anyone can pay the fees on your behalf and claim the tax back. I think that if your parents are working and paying taxes they can still claim the tax back. It should save you 800 on the fees. I think it should be ok for your parents to do this.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement