Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nenagh Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone know what happened to that car dealership near the silvermines on the old limerick rd??

seems to have vanished overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

fryup wrote: »
    anyone know what happened to that car dealership near the silvermines on the old limerick rd??

seems to have vanished overnight?

The one at mulrooneys?? Noticed a truck load of cars at the birdhill roundabout on Friday morning and the premises had been emptied when I passed up the road, website still active maybe they've moved or more likely it's gone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Anyone know how much money the council wasted building the substantial stone wall between the main road and ALDI and then recently, tearing it down and replacing it with treated wooden poles?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The one at mulrooneys?? Noticed a truck load of cars at the birdhill roundabout on Friday morning and the premises had been emptied when I passed up the road, website still active maybe they've moved or more likely it's gone

i take it, they did a runner

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭anheneti

cnocbui wrote: »
    Anyone know how much money the council wasted building the substantial stone wall between the main road and ALDI and then recently, tearing it down and replacing it with treated wooden poles?

None, it hadn’t anything to do with the council

• Advertisement

anheneti wrote: »
    None, it hadn’t anything to do with the council

Thanks. That's good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 goonup

Does anyone know of a squash club in Nenagh?

I can only find reference online to a defunct club...

Thanks

G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

goonup wrote: »

Thanks

G

I don't know if there is a club but my boss used to play a good bit, I'll ask him when I'm back in work if there's still anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 goonup

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I don't know if there is a club but my boss used to play a good bit, I'll ask him when I'm back in work if there's still anything.

Thanks very much....... Id like to learn to play & get to know a few people around the town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

goonup wrote: »

Thanks

G

Club ran a Winter League this year:

https://www.nenaghguardian.ie/sport/othersport/articles/2019/01/31/4168532-nenagh-squash-winter-league-finals/

Call onto the Dapp Inn pub or give them a call as that's where the courts are located so they should be able to give you up to date contact details.

• Advertisement

I see TLI Group setting up around the estates for SIRO. Letter in the door this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Does anyone know anyone that would like a few hours house-cleaning every 3 weeks? Please PM me if you do, thanks.

Does anyone know anyone that would like a few hours house-cleaning every 3 weeks? Please PM me if you do, thanks.
    I'll keep you in mind if I hear of anything.

Was down in Nenagh over the weekend, brought some visitors into town for coffee on Saturday to have a look around.

They hadn't been to Nenagh in maybe 20 years, and couldn't believe how derelict it looked. Worse than derelict, they thought the general tenor of the town was of dirtiness. Not of litter, but grime and a generally neglected appearance. It was interesting to hear honest opinions on the town through fresh eyes. "50 shades of grey", was one comment.

Whatever about unoccupied buildings, a lot of them (even those which are occupied) could do with a good clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I don't get down that often anymore. I remember McDonagh St/ Dublin Rd used to be like the black hole of Calcutta from diesel fumes before the bypass.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I don't get down that often anymore. I remember McDonagh St/ Dublin Rd used to be like the black hole of Calcutta from diesel fumes before the bypass.
    Not much has changed, this reporter says.

Can't find any updates for the Tidy Towns Committee since last March. If anyone knows of an upcoming meeting, let me know.

I'll keep you in mind if I hear of anything.

Was down in Nenagh over the weekend, brought some visitors into town for coffee on Saturday to have a look around.

They hadn't been to Nenagh in maybe 20 years, and couldn't believe how derelict it looked. Worse than derelict, they thought the general tenor of the town was of dirtiness. Not of litter, but grime and a generally neglected appearance. It was interesting to hear honest opinions on the town through fresh eyes. "50 shades of grey", was one comment.

Whatever about unoccupied buildings, a lot of them (even those which are occupied) could do with a good clean.

I'll mention your concerns to the new chair of the council and see if there's anything to be done. When you're looking at it every day you don't really notice but after reading this i took a drive by earlier and it's 100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

At least the eyesore of the OConnors site is no more that was truly awful. Hopefully soon the road out of town to the NCT centre will be resurfaced.Railway bar is due for demolition so one less ran down building

I'll mention your concerns to the new chair of the council and see if there's anything to be done. When you're looking at it every day you don't really notice but after reading this i took a drive by earlier and it's 100% accurate.
    Same. I drive through most weekends on my way home, and the extent of its gradual decline had really been lost on me.

With our location so close to pretty lakeside villages like Garrykennedy and Terryglass, etc, Nenagh should be able to exploit tourism potential. But would you want to stay around here on holidays, or come shopping here? Sadly, I wouldn't.

I'm sure the Tidy Towns Committee are doing their best, but a few buckets of paint and street-gardening would go a long way.

What was the turning point towards Nenagh's decline, the Bypass? Joey O'Connor's retirement? Tesco?

If there is one thing Nenagh is good for it's shopping. There is almost a supermarket for every 100 people. Needs pressure washing more than paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Same. I drive through most weekends on my way home, and the extent of its gradual decline had really been lost on me.

With our location so close to pretty lakeside villages like Garrykennedy and Terryglass, etc, Nenagh should be able to exploit tourism potential. But would you want to stay around here on holidays, or come shopping here? Sadly, I wouldn't.

I'm sure the Tidy Towns Committee are doing their best, but a few buckets of paint and street-gardening would go a long way.

What was the turning point towards Nenagh's decline, the Bypass? Joey O'Connor's retirement? Tesco?

If we're talking about decline, then I'm curious to know when exactly was the town's heyday. People will have grown up in Nenagh when there was a diverse range of local shops, but also when the town didn't have a cinema for instance and you couldn't get a decent cup of coffee anywhere.

It definitely does have some issues. I think there is a terrible lack of planning about it. All the potential it has with the castle area that has never been realised. That part from say the AIB bank up towards summerhill could be a vibrant, pedestrian area, but they've never utilised it. The new area down where O'Meara's used to be looks dreadful to me, a wasted opportunity. I always think when passing through Portlaoise, which i think has improved immeasurably since i remember it as a kid, that Nenagh could have done something like that. Maybe still can, if someone gets the finger out!

• Advertisement

It definitely does have some issues. I think there is a terrible lack of planning about it. All the potential it has with the castle area that has never been realised. That part from say the AIB bank up towards summerhill could be a vibrant, pedestrian area, but they've never utilised it. The new area down where O'Meara's used to be looks dreadful to me, a wasted opportunity. I always think when passing through Portlaoise, which i think has improved immeasurably since i remember it as a kid, that Nenagh could have done something like that. Maybe still can, if someone gets the finger out!
    Well we're the locals, it's probably ourselves who need to get the finger out!

I can't think of another Midlands town with so much untapped potential. Imagine what Portlaoise or Thurles would give to have Lough Derg on their doorstep.

I grew up near Terryglass, and am often reminded that that a few decades ago, that little village had nothing to offer but an RC Church and a derelict laneway leading down to the lake, probably a bit like Kilgarvan Quay today. Apparently you couldn't even drive down to the lakeside without having your car scratched by encroaching hedgerows.

But someone got the finger out and now these lakeside villages are thriving, while Nenagh lags behind.

Nenagh is the biggest local town for all those little lakeshore villages. You probably think I'm exaggerating when I say it could be the Killarney of the Midlands, but why not? It has enviable transport infrastructure, even a rail line, plus its own fascinating Norman history, on top of its proximity to Lough Derg.

Nenagh was a bustling town back in the 1990s, but it has never really exploited its potential.

It's high time to Make Nenagh Great Again!

Well we're the locals, it's probably ourselves who need to get the finger out!

I can't think of another Midlands town with so much untapped potential. Imagine what Portlaoise or Thurles would give to have Lough Derg on their doorstep.

I grew up near Terryglass, and am often reminded that that a few decades ago, that little village had nothing to offer but an RC Church and a derelict laneway leading down to the lake, probably a bit like Kilgarvan Quay today. Apparently you couldn't even drive down to the lakeside without having your car scratched by encroaching hedgerows.

But someone got the finger out and now these lakeside villages are thriving, while Nenagh lags behind.

Nenagh is the biggest local town for all those little lakeshore villages. You probably think I'm exaggerating when I say it could be the Killarney of the Midlands, but why not? It has enviable transport infrastructure, even a rail line, plus its own fascinating Norman history, on top of its proximity to Lough Derg.

Nenagh was a bustling town back in the 1990s, but it has never really exploited its potential.

It's high time to Make Nenagh Great Again!

I grew up in Terryglass, everything you speak i the truth. The development has gone even further at the quay now.

I grew up in Terryglass, everything you speak i the truth. The development has gone even further at the quay now.
    Hello, neighbour !

The place is looking very well. Although, I swear it shrinks every time I walk down there. When I was a kid, there was at least a mile of swings and the whole place seemed to span dozens of acres.

We're probably both biased, but I think it's one of the most peaceful spots in Ireland, even at the height of Summer traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

All that bellyaching yielded a quick result :D

Town Forum Meeting Nenagh
    A Town Forum Meeting will be held in Tipperary County Council, Civic Offices on Tuesday 2nd July at 6.30p.m with light refreshments at 6.00p.m. The topic for discussion will be Nenagh Town Revival. Retail Excellence Ireland will be giving a presentation on the evening.

https://www.tipperarycoco.ie/news/town-forum-meeting-nenagh

jprboy wrote: »
    All that bellyaching yielded a quick result :D

Town Forum Meeting Nenagh
    A Town Forum Meeting will be held in Tipperary County Council, Civic Offices on Tuesday 2nd July at 6.30p.m with light refreshments at 6.00p.m. The topic for discussion will be Nenagh Town Revival. Retail Excellence Ireland will be giving a presentation on the evening.

https://www.tipperarycoco.ie/news/town-forum-meeting-nenagh
    Oh nice one, thanks for the heads up.

I'll be the bellyacher in the front row, if anyone else is going along from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Anyone on here go to the Castlefest?

Oh nice one, thanks for the heads up.

I'll be the bellyacher in the front row, if anyone else is going along from here.
    I'm not in town that day but I'll let my sister know as she runs a local business.

I'm not in town that day but I'll let my sister know as she runs a local business.
    Tell her to watch out for the fella in a red plaid shirt (already planning my costume for my big rant)

I'm kidding about the rant. Kinda. We really do need to do something as a community.

Tell her to watch out for the fella in a red plaid shirt (already planning my costume for my big rant)

I'm kidding about the rant. Kinda. We really do need to do something as a community.

Will do. :)

Spoke to her yesterday and she knew about it. She’s going. There was another one a couple of years ago and she said that’s 2 hours of her life she’ll never get back Said that they all had their day, were told their concerns and suggestions would be taken on board, etc. next day in the Guardian, town plan done and dusted. She’s not optimistic about this one but is willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement

Will do. :)

Spoke to her yesterday and she knew about it. She’s going. There was another one a couple of years ago and she said that’s 2 hours of her life she’ll never get back Said that they all had their day, were told their concerns and suggestions would be taken on board, etc. next day in the Guardian, town plan done and dusted. She’s not optimistic about this one but is willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    This is interesting. Do you know who is hosting the meeting?

I can't find seem to find out; all I know is that two of the speakers are from County Councils (Mayo and Tipperary, the former an architect) and a member from Retail Excellence Ireland.

I'd prefer to see a more prominent role given to someone trading in the town, but hopefully there will be a high turnout in the room.

The town needs a real, cohesive and clear plan. No more fluff about regeneration and technology -- we need clarity, efficiency, specifics for the current trading year.

Advertisement