Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Folks would this work by simply plugging it in a different room from where my modem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You must have the first one connected via ethernet to the modem/router. The other one can be anywhere in the house. Thats how they work for me anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

It should work provided they have a wifi connection to the router to receive an IP address from the DHCP server. I'll try later if you want.

Even if it doesnt work, just by putting a homeplug at your PC and one at your router, you will effectively double your wireless streaming speed to the xbox. A wifi router can only send or receive at any one time, so if it is doing both (receiving data from your PC and sending it to your xbox) it is constantly switching back and forth and the throughput is cut in half compared to one-way only.

That sounds good VC, must give it a try.

Taking Friday off so have decided to dedicate up to 4 hours to sort this out on Friday. If that doesn't do it I'll wait to get my pal to install a new socket then give that a lash.

If after all that I'm still getting no connection or crap connections I'll be putting some TP-Link Powerline adapters on adverts.ie for €20 a pair :o

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Did you try the upc speedtest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

bmaxi wrote: »
    I bought mine in Homebase, five for €5, about four years ago :)
    good for you, :) but it was longer ago than that.

and the ones i'm talking about that i bought at the time (and still have in the house, all still working, never lost a single one) are CFL spotlights, not the cheaper regular CFL bulbs you'd normally use.

• Advertisement

www.7dayshop.com have single 200mbps (generic) powerline ethernet adapters for £15.99 each (delivered), £29.99 for two, or £42.99 for three.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777_9&r=CLM

if you're stuck for space, they also have mini (82mm (L) *52mm (W) *32mm (H)) ones which look to be about 1/3 smaller with a rotating plug that can be orientated in any direction for £17.99 each, £34.99 for two or £51.99 for three (again, the delivered price).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

vibe666 wrote: »
    www.7dayshop.com have single 200mbps (generic) powerline ethernet adapters for £15.99 each (delivered), £29.99 for two, or £42.99 for three.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777_9&r=CLM

if you're stuck for space, they also have mini (82mm (L) *52mm (W) *32mm (H)) ones which look to be about 1/3 smaller with a rotating plug that can be orientated in any direction for £17.99 each, £34.99 for two or £51.99 for three (again, the delivered price).

Hate to be disagreeing with you again but 7 day shop do not deliver to Ireland for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hate to be disagreeing with you again but 7 day shop do not deliver to Ireland for free.

£5.95 per package. You still win if you order 3.

feck it, forgot about that. :(

i'm always open to correction though, i'm trying to grow out of my confrontational internet rage phase. particularly when i'm wrong. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks OP just ordered 2 X 2 of these.

• Advertisement

Sorry to digress here a bit but I wonder could you guys help me with a little conspiracy theory I've just developed ;)

In anticipation of getting my powerline adapters working later this week I've been downloading some on-line content via bit torrent and before anyone starts quoting the rules about "no talking about illegal downloading" I'm clearly saying here that the content I'm downloading is not being done so in an illegal fashion. OK?

I downloaded a 15GB torrent the other day which took 3-4 hours and I witnessed download speeds of +/- 800kbs. Today I initiated a 34GB download and all was going well with speeds in the 350kbs range until the connection suddenly stopped. I restarted the machine and recommenced the download but now I'm only getting 75kbs speed which is going to take 3 days to complete despite the UPC speedtest telling me I'm getting 21.4mb download speed at the moment.

Is the reduction in torrent download speed just a co-incidence i.e. I'm just pulling from someone with a slow upload speed their end or could UPC be throttling my broadband because they suddenly saw that I've started to download a couple of fairly large files???

If even talking about this is offside please feel free to delete the post Mod. If answers are best delivered via PM please do :p

Ben

i'm sure what you are torrenting is freely available material with no copyright so it would be fine to talk about something like that since you wouldn't be breaking any laws. :)

how many seeds/leeches does the torrent have? you'll quite often find that if there's a high leech to seed ratio (as with some public trackers) the first half of the torrent will download really fast because at the start you are downloading the parts with the highest availability.

i know torrents are supposed to evenly distribute the pieces of the files early on so that availability is good from the start once a few people have it, but with so many people cutting and running without seeding once they have their own copy, it doesn't always wortk out like that in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Somebody shoot this thread please

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

Streaming movies would be ok not sure about streaming HD though...

For HD/3D streaming: Devolo dLAN 500 AVmini Starter Kit - 'The fastest high-speed network - digital DH entertainment & 3D transmission throughout the home.' - Devolo.
    €82.49 €105.00 (offer ended/price back up Dec. 21st) on amazon.de Advent Calendar today's (Dec. 20th) offer. Postage not included.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

Im streaming to 2 devices using these with no problems so far. just to clarify on the speeds..

these are 200mbps -100mbps up and 100mbps down.
    100mbps /8 (convert downstream to megabytes) = 12.5 Megabytes per second.
    so unless you are streaming 2 hour movie files greater than 90gb (12.5 x60 x60 x2) you should be fine (in theory). are my calculations correct?

long_b wrote: »
    Somebody shoot this thread please

Somebody shoot this poster please ;)

Ben

i'm sure what you are torrenting is freely available material with no copyright so it would be fine to talk about something like that since you wouldn't be breaking any laws. :)

Spot on there Vibe, spot on :cool:
    how many seeds/leeches does the torrent have? you'll quite often find that if there's a high leech to seed ratio (as with some public trackers) the first half of the torrent will download really fast because at the start you are downloading the parts with the highest availability.

i know torrents are supposed to evenly distribute the pieces of the files early on so that availability is good from the start once a few people have it, but with so many people cutting and running without seeding once they have their own copy, it doesn't always wortk out like that in my experience.

Back up to 500kbs speed so just the 13 hours left.

Conspiracy theory suspended :P

Ben

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

settings wrote: »
    Im streaming to 2 devices using these with no problems so far. just to clarify on the speeds..

these are 200mbps -100mbps up and 100mbps down.
    100mbps /8 (convert downstream to megabytes) = 12.5 Megabytes per second.
    so unless you are streaming 2 hour movie files greater than 90gb (12.5 x60 x60 x2) you should be fine (in theory). are my calculations correct?

You will only get 100Mbps throughput in a lab over the shortest possible range. In the real world, with interference and over distance you can expect 30-60%. ie 30-60Mbps from a set of 200Mbps homeplugs.

If you're streaming full Blurays there's a good chance you'll run into trouble, the Bluray spec allows data rates up to 54Mbps.

1080p rips should fare much better because typically a 1080p rip is 8-14Mbps plus 1.5Mbps audio.

Bear in mind that different streaming protocols have different overheads - that is, data over and above the video that has to be sent. Generally SMB on windows is pretty inefficient.

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Did you try the upc speedtest ?

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Soarer wrote: »
    Nice one.

So what about this as a scenario. A certain someone has unlimited 24mb broadband and their neighbour doesn't.
    Could one of these be plugged into the router, an extension lead run from one house to the other, and then another plug plugged into the extension at the far end to be plugged into the neighbours pc?

If its unlimited bit thats the issue and not the speed then why not simply use wifi. You only need the direct cable for speed issues, lag in games, VOIP etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Im off topic.but this seems to be the thread for answers.
    Cant anyone recommend a wifi modem/router.
    My belkin n1 keeps dropping the signal. Thanks

Im off topic.but this seems to be the thread for answers.
    Cant anyone recommend a wifi modem/router.
    My belkin n1 keeps dropping the signal. Thanks

If its UPC then this is great and practically free

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Cisco-WRT120N-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B00318BN72/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1321538438&sr=1-9

You could also get a pair of powerline extenders and one of those can have a wifi end so you end up with wifi in both ends of house connected by electric wires.

If its UPC then this is great and practically free

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Cisco-WRT120N-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B00318BN72/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1321538438&sr=1-9

You could also get a pair of powerline extenders and one of those can have a wifi end so you end up with wifi in both ends of house connected by electric wires.

Im with UTV. The link is a router. I'm looking for a combined modem router

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

This thread needs to locked or moved to a more techie forum, no point discussing technical stuff in a BA forum....my 2c...

Im with UTV. The link is a router. I'm looking for a combined modem router

Worth a punt ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W8960N-300MBPS-Wireless-connections/dp/B0031SUB4S/ref=pd_cp_computers_0
    This review is from: TP-Link TD-W8960N 300MBPS Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT connections (Accessory)
    TP-Link Wireless N-ADSL Modem Router Model TD-W8960N I bought this router to upgrade my Belkin 11g router that began dropping the connection on my wireless network, anyhow. I ordered this TP Link router because it was by far the cheapest N ADSL modem router out-there, but with only 1 review on it I was a bit nervous. Also at the time I did not like the look of it, purely aesthetics I suppose. Now I absolutely LOVE how it looks, a bit retro. The despatch time was extremely quick about 3Days from order to delivery.
    So far so good. What's in the box? The router and all the cables you'll need, albeit slightly short, at least they were for me, an ADSL splitter and the installation CD. I didn't need these because my existing Belkin router, power cable, phone line and ethernet cable etc was all the same, so I just plugged these into the TP Link router.
    The router was a complete breeze to set up I just inserted the CD as instructed, followed the on screen instructions entered all my credentials from my ISP i.e. username password etc. When the CD finished loading my internet was connected, it really was as easy as that. The speed is quite good upto 300Mbps on the other PC using an Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card. I'm so glad I bought this very capable Router.

Thanks. I just out in an order for this one.
    I used my survey payments to get amazon vouchers so it cost me nothing :D

A question is it worth getting the Powerline adapters to boost this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Quick question about these.
    I have a router in a separate room and need a Dreambox to connect to my Internet .
    I could use the vonets wifi bridge but would these home plug things work better?

Happy New Year all,

Got my electrician brother in law to fit some proper sockets in the area where the UPC modems and Netgear wireless G router are. They were working off a couple of extension leads which I was hoping was the cause of my TP Powerlines only delivering 0.3mb down speed. After fitting the sockets the speed has improved 10 fold to 3mb down speed but that's still rubbish compared to the 21mb I'm getting from my wireless connection. I got him to look at my fuse board and he was impressed with the way the electrician who renovated my house a couple of years ago did the job, there are 5 mini circuits on the fuse board which is apparently a good thing in terms of distributing load etc (he said a lot of houses were only wired with 2 mini circuits) but I guess it's a bad thing for operating these powerline adapters as it means the one coming from the broadband connection is on a different circuit from the one at my desktop PC :(

I guess this means unless I'm prepared to combine the relevant circuits serving the powerlines onto one single circuit I'm never going to get decent performance from them??? (He said he can quite easily do this without affecting anything as the socket circuits don't have a lot of appliances drawing off them)

Another question I'd appreciate an answer to is can my desktop continue getting it's broadband wirelessly whilst at the same time serving media files to my xBox over the powerline adapters? The xBox and desktop are on the same circuit so this could be a good workaround if I could make it work.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

BenThere wrote: »
    Happy New Year all,

Got my electrician brother in law to fit some proper sockets in the area where the UPC modems and Netgear wireless G router are. They were working off a couple of extension leads which I was hoping was the cause of my TP Powerlines only delivering 0.3mb down speed. After fitting the sockets the speed has improved 10 fold to 3mb down speed but that's still rubbish compared to the 21mb I'm getting from my wireless connection. I got him to look at my fuse board and he was impressed with the way the electrician who renovated my house a couple of years ago did the job, there are 5 mini circuits on the fuse board which is apparently a good thing in terms of distributing load etc (he said a lot of houses were only wired with 2 mini circuits) but I guess it's a bad thing for operating these powerline adapters as it means the one coming from the broadband connection is on a different circuit from the one at my desktop PC :(

I guess this means unless I'm prepared to combine the relevant circuits serving the powerlines onto one single circuit I'm never going to get decent performance from them??? (He said he can quite easily do this without affecting anything as the socket circuits don't have a lot of appliances drawing off them)

Another question I'd appreciate an answer to is can my desktop continue getting it's broadband wirelessly whilst at the same time serving media files to my xBox over the powerline adapters? The xBox and desktop are on the same circuit so this could be a good workaround if I could make it work.

Ben

You should post in the networking section (link) instead of Bargain Alerts and start from scratch:

Describe the exact layout of your network, every single detail, what is connected to what and how.

Describe how you are measuring speeds (do you know the difference between Mb and MB? you keep saying 'mb' which is neither) including the full path of the transfer.

Did you install the TP-Link utility as suggested to you several weeks ago? If so post the connection speed on the new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Probably easier to run a cable than start messing with the fuse board.

Advertisement