Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Touch of the Tescos about this offer. You can actually buy two single units for £2 less than the twin pack.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004QMBOV2/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1323684904&sr=1-2

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

bmaxi wrote: »
    Touch of the Tescos about this offer. You can actually buy two single units for £2 less than the twin pack.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004QMBOV2/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1323684904&sr=1-2

nop - works cheaper by 1 cent if you buy 2 singles

rai555 wrote: »
    nop - works cheaper by 1 cent if you buy 2 singles

That's because the price of the twin pack was reduced today by £3 and the single by 50p, I've been watching them looking for a bargain. I don't really need them but if they go below £30 I'll snap them up. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

My Saturday afternoon project has turned sour.

Got these and did the following:-

1. Plugged one adapter into a wall socket beside my UPC broadband cable router.
    2. Removed the CAT5 cable from the cable router which had been feeding the Netgear Wireless router and connected the cable which came with the TP-Links.
    3. Connected the other end of the cable to the TP-Link adapter.
    4. Connected the other TP-Link adapter to a socket beside my desktop and connected the CAT5 cable to the desktop.
    5. Pressed the pair button on the TP-Link beside the cable modem for 6 seconds or so.
    6. Within 30 seconds pressed the pair button on the other TP-Link adapter connected to the desktop.

Tried to connect to the internet via a LAN connection but no joy. I've tried several different ways including re-booting everything (cable modem, desktop etc) and I keep getting the following error when I troubleshoot the Network diagnostic (Win 7) "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration".

I tried calling the "24/7" helpline both in the UK and Malaysia (At least I think that's the country +86 is) without any joy. All operators busy please call back later crap.

Would appreciate any suggestions from you guys who got yours working.

Ben

Drama resolved. The "Socket" I'd been plugging into was a glorified extension lead wired into a socket in a nearby bedroom by the UPC installer. By moving a few plugs around I eventually got a connection but my 20MB fibre broadband ended up diminishing to 0.18MB down and 0.06 up according to www.speedtest.net :eek:

I found a long CAT5 cable and ran that from the cable modem to a TP-Link adapter plugged into a 'proper' socket about 10m away from the cable modem and I was then able to get 8mb down and 1.1mb up. Much better obviously but still fairly disappointing given I get 18mb down and 1.7mb up without the TP-Link adapters and just connected wirelessly to my bog standard Netgear Wireless 'G' router. :confused:

I'll get a pal who's an electrician to install a 'proper' socket right next to the cable modem and hopefully that will fix the problem but for now I'm back to wireless connections and no streaming to the xBox :o

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

You say you have a cable router one minute and cable modem the next. Which is it?

You say you have a cable router one minute and cable modem the next. Which is it?

Sorry VC, I thought the terms were interchangeable. I'm referring to the box the actual UPC cable goes into out of which a CAT5 cable goes to a Netgear wireless 'G' router.

Does that adequately describe the kit I have?

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Sorry VC, I thought the terms were interchangeable. I'm referring to the box the actual UPC cable goes into out of which a CAT5 cable goes to a Netgear wireless 'G' router.

Does that adequately describe the kit I have?

Ben

No, but anyway try putting everything back the way it was and run the TP-Link into the Netgear rather than the UPC box.

If the UPC box is modem only then you need a router after it, and if it is a modem/router then you would have previously needed special settings on it or the Netgear to avoid DHCP conflicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Above post is right, mad to touch the cable between upc box and router. Also ensure speed and duplex on network card is set to auto. Usually will be.

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Also ensure speed and duplex on network card is set to auto. Usually will be.

Is that the network card on the desktop PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

Drama resolved. The "Socket" I'd been plugging into was a glorified extension lead wired into a socket in a nearby bedroom by the UPC installer. By moving a few plugs around I eventually got a connection but my 20MB fibre broadband ended up diminishing to 0.18MB down and 0.06 up according to www.speedtest.net :eek:

I found a long CAT5 cable and ran that from the cable modem to a TP-Link adapter plugged into a 'proper' socket about 10m away from the cable modem and I was then able to get 8mb down and 1.1mb up. Much better obviously but still fairly disappointing given I get 18mb down and 1.7mb up without the TP-Link adapters and just connected wirelessly to my bog standard Netgear Wireless 'G' router. :confused:

I'll get a pal who's an electrician to install a 'proper' socket right next to the cable modem and hopefully that will fix the problem but for now I'm back to wireless connections and no streaming to the xBox :o

Ben

For the record you have to press the button on the one beside the UPC/router first and then the one elsewhere.

Doesn't seem natural but that is how to connect them.

The whole master/slave thing is reverse.

Is that the network card on the desktop PC?

Yep

OK, just did as suggested. Plugged the TP-Link adapter cable into the Netgear wireless G router and can confirm that Speed and Duplex on the network card are set to "Auto Negotiation". Paired the TP-Link adapters starting with the one beside the Router and the upshot is I'm now getting 2.99mb download speed and 1.54mb upload speed!! WTF????

I must be doing something fairly stupid here :confused:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

OK, just did as suggested. Plugged the TP-Link adapter cable into the Netgear wireless G router and can confirm that Speed and Duplex on the network card are set to "Auto Negotiation". Paired the TP-Link adapters starting with the one beside the Router and the upshot is I'm now getting 2.99mb download speed and 1.54mb upload speed!! WTF????

Ben

you can use this software to see the speed that the homeplugs are connecting at.
    its for a different brand but i think it should still work

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/downloads/7dayshop_powerline.zip

mine connect at around 144-147mbs

There's a utility that comes with the TP-Link adaptors, what connection speed does it say you're getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Ben

I'm thinking inteference - any overloaded sockets ? Dodgy extension cables ? lots CFL bulbs ?

EDIT: Just did a speed test , local PC to PC - I'm getting 21 Mb/sec read and the same for writing with a set I got from eBuyer a while back

Use upc speedtest and not speedtests speedtest.
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

Sorry lads, out all day today.

Will try these suggestions tomorrow and revert.

Much appreciated as ever.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i had a lot of cfl bulbs in my old house and i was only getting a couple of mbps on my 200mbps powerline adapters, even into the next room and i'm almost certain it was mostly down to having lots of CFL bulbs.

i'm actually getting 25-30mbps now though in our new house which is all halogen spotlights, even from downstairs all the way up into the attic.

now i just need to spend a few hundred quid on low wattage LED bulbs before my electric meter takes off from spinning so fast powering all these fecking spotlights. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

I got a few of these myself for my sons rooms and they are amazing.
    fine for gaming and even work in an extension block

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement

CFL bulbs are those long life bulbs which take a minute to get to full glare?? What have they got to do with the electrical network? How do they interfere with the network? Do they only interfere when they are turned on??

Seriously confused.com here :confused:

Ben

CFL bulbs are those long life bulbs which take a minute to get to full glare?? What have they got to do with the electrical network? How do they interfere with the network? Do they only interfere when they are turned on??

Seriously confused.com here :confused:

Ben
    your homplugs are using your home electrical system as a conduit for the networking signal and CFL (yes, those energy saver ones that take a minute to get fully bright) bulbs are plugged into the same system.

the problem is that (depending on the manufacturer and model) they can cause a lot of noise/interference within your electrical system which although it wil have no affect on anything else in your home, will cause dramatic drops in the speed of homeplugs.

another thing that can cause drops in speed is if you are crossing from one electrical circuit to another, i.e. if the plug sockets you are using for the homeplugs are on different fuses in your home (such as upstairs and downstairs).

it will depend on how much you are willing to spend on bulbs though (or so i'm told) as the more expensive CFL bulbs will have circuitry in them to prevent them from causing too much interference.

no such luck for me though, i just bought a rake of them in ikea and did my whole house out with them before i ever got homeplugs and had no idea that this was something that could happen, so hopefully this info might help to stop someone from making the same mistake i did when putting both homeplugs and CFL bulbs into their house.

vibe666 wrote: »
    the problem is that (depending on the manufacturer and model) they can cause a lot of noise/interference within your electrical system which although it wil have no affect on anything else in your home, will cause dramatic drops in the speed of homeplugs.
    Man that's depressing, we have ton's of CFL bulbs in the house. The manufacurers of Powerline adpaters should draw attention to his and inform us what the solution is i.e. if you need to use CFL bulbs use ones which comply with XXXXX standard as they won't interfere with the adapters performance.
    another thing that can cause drops in speed is if you are crossing from one electrical circuit to another, i.e. if the plug sockets you are using for the homeplugs are on different fuses in your home (such as upstairs and downstairs).
    Yep, I'm definitely doing that also :(
    it will depend on how much you are willing to spend on bulbs though (or so i'm told) as the more expensive CFL bulbs will have circuitry in them to prevent them from causing too much interference.
    What bulbs do you recommend?
    no such luck for me though, i just bought a rake of them in ikea and did my whole house out with them before i ever got homeplugs and had no idea that this was something that could happen, so hopefully this info might help to stop someone from making the same mistake i did when putting both homeplugs and CFL bulbs into their house.
    Might be too late for me also :mad:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Wouldn't it be a simple test to remove all your CFLs and run the speed tests again? You could also test on 2 sockets that you know are on the same circuit and close together.

your homplugs are using your home electrical system as a conduit for the networking signal and CFL (yes, those energy saver ones that take a minute to get fully bright) bulbs are plugged into the same system.

I'm not sure this is universally the case. I have a pair of homeplugs, not TP link, another brand I think I bought from E-Buyer. One is upstairs and one is downstairs, both are plugged into extension leads and I have CFL bulbs in every room in the house, yet I haven't had any problems with broadband or wifi. Mine is a relatively new house so the standard of wiring is probably quite good but apart from that I can't understand why my situation is different to anyone else.

bmaxi wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is universally the case. I have a pair of homeplugs, not TP link, another brand I think I bought from E-Buyer. One is upstairs and one is downstairs, both are plugged into extension leads and I have CFL bulbs in every room in the house, yet I haven't had any problems with broadband or wifi. Mine is a relatively new house so the standard of wiring is probably quite good but apart from that I can't understand why my situation is different to anyone else.
    i'm sure it's not universal, i've been told that decent CFL bulbs have some kind of circuitry in them that reduces the effect they have, but i got mine in IKEA in the UK several years ago for afaik £1.59 each, at a time when the cheapest ones you could get here were about 7 quid so i'm fairly sure they were of the very low budget type and as such would probably not have had any fancy circuitry in them.

i'm sure it's not universal, i've been told that decent CFL bulbs have some kind of circuitry in them that reduces the effect they have, but i got mine in IKEA in the UK several years ago for afaik £1.59 each, at a time when the cheapest ones you could get here were about 7 quid so i'm fairly sure they were of the very low budget type and as such would probably not have had any fancy circuitry in them.

I bought mine in Homebase, five for €5, about four years ago :)

Probably a stupid question here but can the use of these be limited to form a network between a Desktop which is getting it's broadband via a wireless G router and an xBox which is also getting it's broadband (for online gaming) from the same wireless G router?

I'm actually quite happy with the wireless broadband service I have. All I really want to do with these powerline adapters is create a wired network between the Desktop (which acts as my NAS) and the xBox for streaming content. If this could be done I wouldn't have to connect any adapters to the broadband router.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Probably a stupid question here but can the use of these be limited to form a network between a Desktop which is getting it's broadband via a wireless G router and an xBox which is also getting it's broadband (for online gaming) from the same wireless G router?

I'm actually quite happy with the wireless broadband service I have. All I really want to do with these powerline adapters is create a wired network between the Desktop (which acts as my NAS) and the xBox for streaming content. If this could be done I wouldn't have to connect any adapters to the broadband router.

Ben

You would need 1 homeplug adapter at the router thats standard...
    The 1 at each point where you would like a wired connection
    Then ethernet runs from router to the plug and is converted over the powerline ... then on the other side the powerline is converted over to ethernet and into your desktop xbox ps3 etc
    If you have more than 1 device that needs ethernet at the same plug socket then you need a switch or a homeplug with more than 1 ethernet port (these are available)

• Advertisement

Ben

It should work provided they have a wifi connection to the router to receive an IP address from the DHCP server. I'll try later if you want.

Even if it doesnt work, just by putting a homeplug at your PC and one at your router, you will effectively double your wireless streaming speed to the xbox. A wifi router can only send or receive at any one time, so if it is doing both (receiving data from your PC and sending it to your xbox) it is constantly switching back and forth and the throughput is cut in half compared to one-way only.

Advertisement