Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

200AV, 500AV & 1GIG adapters will all inter-operate, you cannot use these products with the 85Mbps ones however they will sit on the same mains wiring without interference.

That's a great price for a twin pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Excellent deal.

I have 2 D-Link one's at home, have them over 2 years, cost me 120 euro.

Got sick of the buffering, lag etc from the wifi.

Have it in the sitting room for my htpc, mostly for streaming icefilms via xbmc and the ps3.

Makes a huge difference, I could never go back to wifi for streaming and online gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Ordered 2 pairs of these, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭infocal

received today! perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

Might just be worth pointing out....

These, in my experience, work the opposite to what you think.

You need to hit the button on the one you want to join and then the one connected to the router. Not the one on the router and then the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Callipo wrote: »
    Might just be worth pointing out....

These, in my experience, work the opposite to what you think.

You need to hit the button on the one you want to join and then the one connected to the router. Not the one on the router and then the rest.

Not sure if you are using their software too? but I just plugged mine in and they work perfectly as do the Netgear ones I've used before. I never use the supplied software.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Not sure if you are using their software too? but I just plugged mine in and they work perfectly as do the Netgear ones I've used before. I never use the supplied software.

Agreed. Just plugged them in and they worked. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Just ordered these. Saves me relying on dodgy wireless access point that I have been using. Cheers OP! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Still waiting on mine. Moved into a new house recently and the wifi signal is prity poor.

This should fix that :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I ordered on Saturday, got them monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Does these have any advantage over wireless N?

silvine wrote: »
    Does these have any advantage over wireless N?

Far superior to wireless end of.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Works great , my Acer Revo wireless was/is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

So, would these work well in an old house with concrete walls which stop wireless signal? The router is in the extension of the house and it's almost impossible to get a signal past a certain part downstairs, and practically nothing upstairs.

PenguinMan wrote: »
    So, would these work well in an old house with concrete walls which stop wireless signal? The router is in the extension of the house and it's almost impossible to get a signal past a certain part downstairs, and practically nothing upstairs.

Provided the electrical circuit in both the house and the Ext are on the same ring you will have no problems.

Provided the electrical circuit in both the house and the Ext are on the same ring you will have no problems.
    Is there any way to check this? I'm awfully clueless when it come to these things :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭terriepodonnell

Hi, I was looking at getting one of these. They seem like a cool product particularly when there are wireless network blackspots & at a nice price.

I have a query before ordering a set.
    My house has 2 x fuse boxes.
    The fuse boxes are all side by side.
    Ultimately there is 1 x ESB Meter.

I understand these Powerplugs work over the earth cabling ??

Any opinions would be appreciated on whether this would work or not ?

Many thanks. Terri.

Is there any way to check this? I'm awfully clueless when it come to these things :o.

If you only have one fuse box it will definitely work.

If you have two? depending on how it was wired? it may or may not work.

If you were using the two adapters on power sockets within the house or two sockets within the extension there would be no problems. However, if the house and Ext were on different mains rings and you needed to use one adapter on one ring (ie the house) but the second adapter on the second ring (ie the extension) it could be problematic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was in a friends inlaws house and they had 4 fuse boxes, it was a nightmare, you really have to have a plug that's on the 1 circuit for them to work I think.

If you only have one fuse box it will definitely work.

If you have two? depending on how it was wired? it may or may not work.

If you were using the two adapters on power sockets within the house or two sockets within the extension there would be no problems. However, if the house and Ext were on different mains rings and you needed to use one adapter on one ring (ie the house) but the second adapter on the second ring (ie the extension) it could be problematic.
    Definitely only have one fuse box, but I do know that there's strange wiring. For example, if the power trips in one fuse the area of the house affected is rather irregular. Reckon that would be okay? And thanks for the help btw :)

• Advertisement

Definitely only have one fuse box, but I do know that there's strange wiring. For example, if the power trips in one fuse the area of the house affected is rather irregular. Reckon that would be okay? And thanks for the help btw :)

You should have no problem using them so.

For example, if the power trips in one fuse the area of the house affected is rather irregular.

I wouldn't worry about that either. All that means is the electrician that wired the fuse board wasn't too fussy which sockets he\she wired to each of the circuit breakers (ELCB's). Not the most structured method of doing it but it won't affect the above internet homeplugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

If you have 1 fusebox its fine. Get a pair from Argos and return them after testing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

my netgear work over 60-80 ft away in a garage/shed and through 2 fuse boxs, from 20 mb down to 6 when tested, i had problem with concrete wall in an old house, this solved it, easy setup, plug and play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

Trying to get my head around these.

My UPC broadband comes into my attic and the cable modem is connected to a Netgear Wireless G router which sits beside the cable modem. There's about 10 devices connecting to the wireless router (4 phones, 3 laptops, xBox, Wii and a Desktop) and although it works fine for general surfing etc it's not good enough to stream movies from the desktop to the xBox which is what I now want to do.

I think I need 4 of these devices to make sure the Desktop and xBox have dedicated 'cable' standard broadband and to relocate the Netgear wireless G routher from the attic to the ground floor which should improve signal strength and overall service to the devices connecting via wi-fi.

I'd appreciate some input on the following.

1. My cable modem is powered by a short 3m 4 socket extension lead running from the nearest 'proper' socket. I will therefore be plugging the first Mini Powerline adapter into the extension lead. Will that work?

2. If I connect the Netgear wireless G router to one of the Powerline adapters will it through out wi-fi as good as it does when connected directly to the cable router?

3. Do the adapters come with the necessary cables to connect devices to and if not what is the correct spec to order? Is Cat5e RJ45 the correct spec cables to be getting?

Cheers all,

Ben

1. My cable modem is powered by a short 3m 4 socket extension lead running from the nearest 'proper' socket. I will therefore be plugging the first Mini Powerline adapter into the extension lead. Will that work?

Homeplugs are designed to be plugged directly into a mains socket (power outlet) they don't like, work well or even work at all when they are plugged into extension leads.

2. If I connect the Netgear wireless G router to one of the Powerline adapters will it through out wi-fi as good as it does when connected directly to the cable router?

One of the homeplugs connects directly to your router using an RJ45 cable and has no effect on your existing wireless setup. The second homeplug gets plugged into a socket at wherever the device you want to have internet is located. It too connects via an RJ45 Cable.

3. Do the adapters come with the necessary cables to connect devices to and if not what is the correct spec to order? Is Cat5e RJ45 the correct spec cables to be getting?

The adapter come with the two RJ45 cables required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Homeplugs are designed to be plugged directly into a mains socket (power outlet) they don't like, work well or even work at all when they are plugged into extension leads.

i have both my homeplugs plugged into extension leads and they work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

BenThere wrote: »

Cheers all,

Ben

The TP-Link homeplugs come with very short cables. I think they're about 60cm...maybe closer to 1m but definitely pretty short anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

BenThere wrote: »

Cheers all,

Ben

The TP-Link homeplugs come with very short cables. I think they're about 60cm...maybe closer to 1m but definitely pretty short anyway.

Streaming movies would be ok not sure about streaming HD though.

I can second that I use mine from time to time on an extension plug and for what I do it doesn't really effect it that much.

Mine aren't the same brand and one of mine has wifi aerial built into the plug so I can just plug it in anywhere kind of like a mobile router (but obviously not the same thing before someone jumps on that comment). It ensures I have wifi everywhere and it's easily moved about as I too use the ps3 in different roomS and would rather a wired connection so I just move both wherever want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

As long as the extension lead doesn't have surge protection you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

Nice 1, i've been looking at these for a whle. Goddam bargain alerts so close to crimbo. too late, bought em. I hope I dont get the buyers remorse..

Advertisement