Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hannibal [NBC/Sky Living] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I love the show, but I don't mind it wrapping up after three series. Better to finish on a high and leave us wanting more than suffer a gradual decline.

It also fits in with the foodie theme; a three course meal if you will.

I read before that they have a rough timeline of events already done and the planned series length was 6-7 seasons.

I certainly wouldn't like it to be wrapped up now after season 3 with loose ends. I know people are a little skeptical about this season but it's only 3 episodes out of 13.

Personally I would without doubt love for it to be picked up by Netflix or another network and allowed to do 3 more seasons to finish off the story.

Also presumably they had this season finished before they knew of any canceling so it will more than likely not end on any sort of proper conclusion that could pass as a series finale. There is a high chance it will just end with a cliffhanger and unanswered questions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It also fits in with the foodie theme; a three course meal if you will.
    Do you really think Hannibal though would be content with serving a three course meal? He's a man who would want a banquet. We need more courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Are you sure? I know that it has been struggling for views. They have been low. I assumed NBC didn't think it was worth the investment due to the presumably high budget and low views.

Very sure. It's been an issue since the shows inception. Watch any of the interviews with Fuller and he mentions it a lot. Imdb and others also quoting that this is the issue behind the cancelling. http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/06/23/nbc-s-hannibal-has-been-cancelled-after-three-seasons-3329309?lt_source=external,manual

ixoy wrote: »
    Source for this? I know they can't use Clarice but that had nothing to do with cancellation from anything I've read. It's the low ratings.

See my post above

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    Very sure. It's been an issue since the shows inception. Watch any of the interviews with Fuller and he mentions it a lot. Imdb and others also quoting that this is the issue behind the cancelling. http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/06/23/nbc-s-hannibal-has-been-cancelled-after-three-seasons-3329309?lt_source=external,manual

Interesting, I imagine views would have some what of an impact too since they are very low. Would there be any way around the copyright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I actually hate to say this, but 3 episodes into the new season and it's turned from one of the best things on TV by a mile, to one of the most absolute tedious bores. There's some gorgeous scenes, but the show has lost all the momentum it had in the previous seasons, just watching these episodes has felt like a slog, and for a show that has had such an incredible first two seasons, the stark difference can really be felt.

Links234 wrote: »
    I actually hate to say this, but 3 episodes into the new season and it's turned from one of the best things on TV by a mile, to one of the most absolute tedious bores. There's some gorgeous scenes, but the show has lost all the momentum it had in the previous seasons, just watching these episodes has felt like a slog, and for a show that has had such an incredible first two seasons, the stark difference can really be felt.

I'd hold judgement of this season for a little while. Still 10 episodes. Obviously with how it ended last season a lot had to be resolved in the opening of this season so that lead to more setting the show in the direction, or preparing us.

Like many shows it will probably tend to speed up and sucker punch us the further the season goes on. It's now clicking that Hannibal is planning/considering eating Will. He is also close to being found. I reckon it is going to lead to a brilliant season of a cat and mouse sort of style.

I'm not overly worried about the opening episodes as even though they haven't been edge of my seat sort of stuff.

Interesting, I imagine views would have some what of an impact too since they are very low. Would there be any way around the copyright?

I'd say it's just the overheads of 'renting' the characters that's driving up the cost of the production. The buy out clause is too much and the show can't sustain it with the budget provided

I'd say it's just the overheads of 'renting' the characters that's driving up the cost of the production. The buy out clause is too much and the show can't sustain it with the budget provided

From the sounds of the director and production company they are trying to sort something out...but I think we all know that when a show gets cancelled its hard to get it back.

It would be brilliant if someone picked it up but at the same times I'm keeping my expectations down.

• Advertisement

From the sounds of the director and production company they are trying to sort something out...but I think we all know that when a show gets cancelled its hard to get it back.

It would be brilliant if someone picked it up but at the same times I'm keeping my expectations down.
    Beg to differ, if it's cancelled from one network then another can pick it up who might have a bigger budget to spend. Hopefully this will happen

Beg to differ, if it's cancelled from one network then another can pick it up who might have a bigger budget to spend. Hopefully this will happen

I hope so but it's not the first show I thought someone would definitely pick up and then no one did :(

I light a candle at my window evey night in hope FlashForward returns ;)

I hope so but it's not the first show I thought someone would definitely pick up and then no one did :(

I light a candle at my window evey night in hope FlashForward returns ;)

Mine is for Carnival

Mine is for Carnival

Only saw some episodes but looked really interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm hoping that Netflix will throw some serious moolah at securing the show. They need content, crave prestige and the legitimacy of a clutch awards (which have been bafflingly sparce for a show with so few peers on network television). Plus Hannibal has a small but very loyal fanbase that will sign up to Netflix subscription model.

Best of all, a 13 episode, all in one go series release would save that agonizing 7 day wait to find out what happens next.

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Netflix will throw some serious moolah at securing the show. They need content, crave prestige and the legitimacy of a clutch awards (which have been bafflingly sparce for a show with so few peers on network television).

Best of all, a 13 episode, all in one go series release would save that agonizing 7 day wait to find out what happens next.

But then followed with a year wait for the next season :pac:

But then followed with a year wait for the next season :pac:

I intend to be placed in a medically induced coma between series to avoid such harsh realities.... :cool:

One of the executive producers Martha De Laurentiis said they are exploring other distribution options...sounds a bit like netflix..hopefully that leads to something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

it's good but iv just lost interest in this series, too dark for me i'm afraid

conorhal wrote: »
    I intend to be placed in a medically induced coma between series to avoid such harsh realities.... :cool:

Of course!!Why havent I thought of this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

As you mention, the Clarice issue has always been there and Fuller has known this since day one. I believe it comes down to MGM as they own the rights to Starling. I'd take the speculation that the character was a key reason for cancellation with a healthy pinch of salt. It's 'sources' talking to the Hollywood Reporter, which could be solid, guess work or grapevine BS. I still would like to see a Bryan Fuller interpretation of Clarice and her trainee agent status, though.

It's usually the crews I feel most sorry for. At least high profile writers and actors don't tend to have trouble finding other gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I really want to see more of the most utterly f**ked up almost bromance ever committed to screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

Recommend contacting Netflix live chat support, they're happily taking notes from each person who messages in about renewing the show. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so wait did Graham really string up and display that guy? is the first time he's done that in real life?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Cancellation was about the ratings, not rights to Starling.
    Was it purely a ratings decision or were there other factors at play?

It’s a pretty cut and dry mathematical cancelation. We were a 0.5 [adults ages 18-49]! So no other factors were necessary!

Did the rights issues to Silence of the Lambs and the Clarice character impact the decision at all?

Oh no, nothing at all. Clarice wasn’t in the plan for the fourth season. It’s much cooler actually. The plan for Clarice would be season five.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bryan-fuller-hannibals-future-has-804935

Whats worse about this show being cancelled is that they had it planned to be 6 seasons. When a show gets cancelled that takes it a season at a time it's different. When a show with a planned amount of seasons and what will be covered in each gets canceled it feels worse in my view. Like I want to see what would hapen in season 4/5/6.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bryan Fuller told The Hollywood Reporter that there "has been interest from a few different parties", and that the studio is currently in talks about a potential fourth season away from NBC.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s225/hannibal/news/a654896/bryan-fuller-wants-amazon-to-pick-up-hannibal-for-a-fourth-season.html

"a few different parties" sounds promising. I'd be confident that S3 isn't the last.

Also worth noting (from same article):
    But what if this really is the end for Dr Lecter? Well, Fuller has assured fans that the season three finale would also serve as a satisfactory final episode for the show.

Mr E wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s225/hannibal/news/a654896/bryan-fuller-wants-amazon-to-pick-up-hannibal-for-a-fourth-season.html

"a few different parties" sounds promising. I'd be confident that S3 isn't the last.

Also worth noting (from same article):

I don't like the sound of the last quote. It's good that it could act like that, but knowing he has more planned I want to see it. Also it knocked my confidence after reading the first quote :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't like the sound of the last quote. It's good that it could act like that, but knowing he has more planned I want to see it. Also it knocked my confidence after reading the first quote :pac:

I'd say don't let it dent you optimism, but if the show does end, the season three finale is likely to be a fitting end.
    From the books and movies we know the broad outline of the series story arc, since Red Dragon is up next in the timeline this season pretty much has to end with Hannibal behind bars, which wouldn't be a bad place to wrap up the show if it doesn't find a new home.

Advertisement