Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Bicycle fines for running a red light?

  • 05-11-2011 12:41am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭✭ jin.ie


    Sorry if this has come up before but I couldn't find it.

    Ok so today was cycling back as normal and while going through Camden street, I got pulled over by a Garda because I went through a yellow light although he says red because the pedestrians lights had turned green already.

    Anyway he took my details threatening to take my bike if they were false, and said I would receive a summons! Since when do you go to court for going through a red light?? He also mentioned a fine, being a poor student I can't afford to pay a fine.

    Just to say I've gone through plenty of red lights since I do be in a hurry to get home in the rain and cold but a summons is a bit extreme.
    If anyone has been in a previous situation I'd like to know what happened to them.
    Thanks


«13456712

Comments

  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭ galwaycyclist


    jin.ie wrote: »
    Sorry if this has come up before but I couldn't find it.

    Ok so today was cycling back as normal and while going through Camden street, I got pulled over by a Garda because I went through a yellow light although he says red because the pedestrians lights had turned green already.

    Anyway he took my details threatening to take my bike if they were false, and said I would receive a summons! Since when do you go to court for going through a red light?? He also mentioned a fine, being a poor student I can't afford to pay a fine.

    Just to say I've gone through plenty of red lights since I do be in a hurry to get home in the rain and cold but a summons is a bit extreme.
    If anyone has been in a previous situation I'd like to know what happened to them.
    Thanks

    A summons is the standard method for getting you into court so you can be prosecuted. I would suspect that it has been illegal to run red lights since traffic lights were invented.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭✭ jin.ie


    Yes but since when do cyclists always follow the same rules as motorists? If the path is clear you go, do you stop for every single red light? I wish we had some proper form of transport in Dublin, I'm fed up of cycling


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭ coolbeans


    If you don't want to get a fine stop at reds. If you don't like cycling get the bus. I'm fed up of whiners.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭✭ jin.ie


    Ha if I had the money to buy an €82 bus ticket every month I would, and the bus takes twice as long


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭ coolbeans


    jin.ie wrote: »
    Ha if I had the money to buy an €82 bus ticket every month I would, and the bus takes twice as long

    Walk so...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭✭ jin.ie


    Two hours walk every day coming into Winter, sounds delightful...


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭ Skatedude


    the rules of the road are just that, rules for road users,including pedestrians. it dosent say "except bikes" after it.
    Anyone running a red light can cause an accident, I got let off with a caution for having my bike on a footpath, the fact that i mounted the footpath to avoid a car that pulled out in front of me didnt seem to mater to the guard, and it was the guard that was the driver.


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Darkglasses


    Well, it IS the law. I do stop at all red lights, irritates me no end to see people flouting the rules.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭ coolbeans


    I think u should stop moaning and cycle according to the law so.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭✭ jin.ie


    It's illegal to cycle on footpaths too? well I always thought it was normal to just cycle on when the road was clear. who reads the rules of the road when you're a cyclist? I really miss the metro..


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,254 ✭✭✭✭ Cookie_Monster


    jin.ie wrote: »
    It's illegal to cycle on footpaths too? well I always thought it was normal to just cycle on when the road was clear. who reads the rules of the road when you're a cyclist? I really miss the metro..

    why wouldn't you? Ignorance is not an excuse by the way, neither is "being a poor student".

    (and yes, it is illegal to cycle on the footpath)

    You miss the metro, but can't afford to get the bus, me thinks you couldn't afford the metro either and would still whinge about being poor and having to cycle it whatever city that was.


  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ IsThisIt???


    I don't know if you're being a troll or just being ignorant now.

    It's stuff like this that make people say cyclists are a danger on the road, you're obviously meant to stop at a red light like, the same way you're meant to indicate and what not. Never mind being against the law, it's just safe!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 yourpics


    Of course you can't run a red light on your bicyle, you are subject to pretty much the same rules as a car.
    If you want to go through the red light, get off your bike and push it along the footpath. Then get back on your bike and cycle the road.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ Wheely GR8


    Do us all a favour and never drive a bus.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,984 ✭✭✭✭ tuxy


    Obvious troll


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Captain Havoc


    tuxy wrote: »
    Obvious troll

    If you think someone is trolling, report it, don't do it in thread.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Captain Havoc


    OP, I think you're version of events are somewhat incorrect, I cannot think of one pedestrian light that turns green before traffic light turns red. Also, amber means stop unless it's unsafe to do so, not squeeze through as quick as you can.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭ Joekers


    Op it's for your own good I can remember constantly breaking a certain red light when I would be cycling to school till I was caught by a garda who told me if he caught me again I would be getting a fine, few months later as I was approaching the light it just turned amber so I slowed down but the chap behind didn't then BOOM he was hit by a car, such a horrible sight to see but those few months definitely got me to learn my lesson of not cutting lights and if you have learned something than its a fine well served :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 shannon_tek


    Do it Mr Bean style. Dismount and walk across. No laws broken and you also became a pedestrian and then went back to being a road user. :D:pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭ Oldlegs


    Even as "Friday" posts go, this one is not great.
    ... went through an "amber" light, but Pedestrian light was already green :p

    Might be best to IGNORE this sort of thread - (so why am I responding :confused:)


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 psychward


    I can see Jins point if he was merely wheeling the bike while sat on it at less than walking speed along the edge of the kerb past an amber light with no dangers in sight. Theres a huge difference between that sort of thing and ploughing into a busy zone when you are on a bicycle especially since pedestrians have no problem walking through red lights where some people expect a bicycle to stop and there is no laws against jaywalking in Ireland. Manys the time I cycled through college green past the Bank of Ireland with a green light on and about 40 pedestrians obstructing my right of way as they cross from Trinity.
    The Guards might try fining some bankers and politicians instead of wasting courtroom, judge and citizens' time on trivial matters. However I'm not ruling out that Jin might have been cycling like a lunatic as it seems very rare for cyclists to get into trouble with the Guards.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,254 ✭✭✭✭ Cookie_Monster


    OP, I think you're version of events are somewhat incorrect, I cannot think of one pedestrian light that turns green before traffic light turns red. Also, amber means stop unless it's unsafe to do so, not squeeze through as quick as you can.

    Plenty of junctions that turn red from orange in the time it takes to cycle across them at a moderate pace. I can think of a few times where I was past the line on green, yet still red by the time I got to the other end of the junction, so entirely possible that the pedestrian lights could go green in that time.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ Wheely GR8


    How could a guard not stop someone who breaks a light in front of them. What next ,banks give out free money ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,295 ✭✭✭✭ Mint Sauce


    Wheely GR8 wrote: »
    Do us all a favour and never drive a bus.

    Or atleast read the rules of the road before heading out again. They apply to everyone using the road, including cyclists.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 Kadongy


    In some cases it seems anal to apply red light law to bicycles:
    • Lights at a junction where a bicycle is turning left.
    • Lights at a T-junction where a bicycle is going on and the connecting road is to the right.

    And cycling up a line of traffic stopped at a light and leisurely proceeding on in front of them baits motorists a bit. This is good because motorists cause pollution, car crashes and obesity.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭ dazberry


    There was a motor cycle garda perched outside the bull and castle yesterday evening with notebook in hand catching cyclists breaking the pedestrian lights on Lord Edward St/Christchurch place. I suspect we'll see a lot more of these threads is weeks to come...

    While it is really one of my pet hates having to avoid cyclists on pedestrian crossings and that one in no exception, there are - in my mind - a lot better places where a little encouragement by the gardai would be far more effective, rather then shooting a few fish in a barrel as they struggle uphill from Lord Edward St.

    D.


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,295 ✭✭✭✭ Mint Sauce


    Kadongy wrote: »
    In some cases it seems anal to apply red light law to bicycles:
    • Lights at a junction where a bicycle is turning left.
    • Lights at a T-junction where a bicycle is going on and the connecting road is to the right.

    Totally agree, feel like a right kn0b sitting there sometimes.

    :D
    Kadongy wrote: »
    And cycling up a line of traffic stopped at a light and leisurely proceeding on in front of them baits motorists a bit. This is good because motorists cause pollution, car crashes and obesity.

    Are you referring to cycling on ahead, or stopping at the advance stop line/cyclebox. I always do the later regardless if theres a box or not. Purly because i dont want some 3 axel truck crushing me as he turns left, or being caught up in accelerating traffic before I speed up again.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 Scrappychimow


    jin.ie wrote: »
    Sorry if this has come up before but I couldn't find it.

    Ok so today was cycling back as normal and while going through Camden street, I got pulled over by a Garda because I went through a yellow light although he says red because the pedestrians lights had turned green already.

    Anyway he took my details threatening to take my bike if they were false, and said I would receive a summons! Since when do you go to court for going through a red light?? He also mentioned a fine, being a poor student I can't afford to pay a fine.

    Just to say I've gone through plenty of red lights since I do be in a hurry to get home in the rain and cold but a summons is a bit extreme.
    If anyone has been in a previous situation I'd like to know what happened to them.
    Thanks
    You were caught at westmoreland street last night at around 6:30? I saw the guard with you just past the lights!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ROK ON


    OP, I think you're version of events are somewhat incorrect, I cannot think of one pedestrian light that turns green before traffic light turns red. Also, amber means stop unless it's unsafe to do so, not squeeze through as quick as you can.

    I disagree Capt. I am aware of several lights where the Amber traffic light & the green man are linked. They are the ones where the Amber starts flashing before it turns green for traffic (not red for stop). I was at one a few days ago.

    It would be easy in this case for a ped (cop in this case) to believe that the cyclist is in the wrong.
    IIRC how such flashing Amber lights are supposed to operate is that the traffic can proceed with caution when there are no peds present.

    As regards the ops original query re ROTR, I think he is correct. Many cyclists don't believe them. I was at an event last week where about 20-30 cyclists ignored every traffic light frOm Dublin City Centre to Nth Co Dublin. One of them was a mod here :-)


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭ looksee


    I went across a road with the 'green man' yesterday and a cyclist went across the crossing in front of me, so I had to stop to let him pass. He did not appear to be aware of the crossing, the lights, or the fact that there were people approaching him.


Advertisement