Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Finally got to complete the order from Farnell. I had it in my cart all along so hopefully that reserved it for me, fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i42n ‏ @i42n Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    RS-Components sells only to busyness clients, they just told me over the phone :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

massy086 wrote: »
    RS-Components sells only to busyness clients, they just told me over the phone :eek::eek::eek:

*headdesk*

*headdesk*

I should get that Farnell pre order out of the way then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

Allyall wrote: »
    Farnell site back working

Was about to give up, then saw this post. Managed to order one.
    Big thanks from me Allyall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Got my order through Farnell, Doesn't say anything about a delivery date, and i only ordered one, Just to give anyone else a fighting chance.

€27 after VAT.

Received and "Acknowledgement of Order"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm logged in to RS under my work account - no option to buy.
    Tried phoning - the lines aren't open until after 08:30...?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Just got an order through and got acknowledgement e-mail.:D
    estimated delivery date 12/3/2012 Whether or not that means I'm in the first batch, I don't know.

for those still trying, Direct Link to Raspberry Pi Page on Farnell: http://ie.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=2081185&CMP=i-bf9f-00001000

Good luck to everyone else!

Raspberry Pi Twitter says that's not right, they are doing something about it now..
    10-10-20 wrote: »
    I'm logged in to RS under my work account - no option to buy.
    Tried phoning - the lines aren't open until after 08:30...?

That's shocking bad.. All the problems with them, they seem to be causing more distress then anything else..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I'm not sure what's up with Farnell. Have seen 3 different prices for it now. It was around €30 firstly, then it was €22, and on the UK site it's £26 for a pre-order.

massy086, how long did it take you to get the confirmation email?

• Advertisement

Got my order through Farnell, Doesn't say anything about a delivery date, and i only ordered one, Just to give anyone else a fighting chance.

€27 after VAT.

Received and "Acknowledgement of Order"

I suspect RS and Farnell got 4900 units each, and Farnell sold out quite quickly. So your order will only be fulfilled once the second batch is spun up... :(

Don't think RS have sold any yet, as i still can't get to the order page, only a "register your interest" - Loads others seem to be getting the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I suspect RS and Farnell got 4900 units each, and Farnell sold out quite quickly. So your order will only be fulfilled once the second batch is spun up... :(
    I got an email from them with the subject: "Farnell Ireland URGENT Communication", it had a PDF attached with an estimated delivery date of the 12th. I think it was probably a quick fix attempt to deal with the high traffic.

Did anyone else get that?

I'm not sure what's up with Farnell. Have seen 3 different prices for it now. It was around €30 firstly, then it was €22, and on the UK site it's £26 for a pre-order.

massy086, how long did it take you to get the confirmation email?

Farnell sure are making it confusing - I paid €31.87 + €7.33 VAT=€39.20

Hopefully they can revise/confirm the price once everything has settled down as €31.87 = $40 -$42, not $35.

anyway for now I'm just happy that I'm at least in the queue for a Pi.

Don't think RS have sold any yet, as i still can't get to the order page, only a "register your interest" - Loads others seem to be getting the same..

From http://forums.reghardware.com/post/1329960

Original story: http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/29/raspberry_pi_signs_big_name_sellers/
    spent an hour trying to get through to either site on web and nearly an hour waiting for RS to answer the 0845 phone number... They just did.. just to say that they have come in a six this morning but know nothing about it or stock levels, try the website!!
    not chuffed :(

Grumpyoldgit ‏ @Grumpyoldgit99 @Raspberry_Pi Spoken to RS sales team. Not on sale until end of week.

FFS!

R-Pi just tweeted this

Grumpyoldgit ‏ @Grumpyoldgit99 @Raspberry_Pi Spoken to RS sales team. Not on sale until end of week.
    Retweeted by Raspberry Pi

1m Raspi-PGB001_normal.pngRaspberry Pi ‏ @Raspberry_Pi
    @Grumpyoldgit99 God - that's better than we've managed! Thanks for letting us know.

BBC interview and Raspberry Pi demo with Eben Upton
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17190918

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

duffman85 wrote: »
    Farnell sure are making it confusing - I paid €31.87 + €7.33 VAT=€39.20

Hopefully they can revise/confirm the price once everything has settled down as €31.87 = $40 -$42, not $35.

anyway for now I'm just happy that I'm at least in the queue for a Pi.

I'm really annoyed that they're trying to charge me €40 (nearly $54!!!) for a $35 computer. There was never any mention that we'd be stung with VAT on top of the list price in Europe.
    €27 after VAT.

This I could live with.

Off to get the train. What a waste of a morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

duffman85 wrote: »
    BBC interview and Raspberry Pi demo with Eben Upton
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17190918

Yay, proto board goodness!

I still don't have a clue if I managed to secure a pre-order or an order.

I got the stock allocated e-mail with the PDF, but I'll be skeptical until i know its confirmed for sure.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm really annoyed that they're trying to charge me €40 (nearly $54!!!) for a $35 computer. There was never any mention that we'd be stung with VAT on top of the list price in Europe.

This I could live with.

Off to get the train. What a waste of a morning.

Model A was supposed to be €20

Model B - €25.

I ordered B.. Agghh.. Before i realised it was B, just saw the price difference, now i can't get back into the site.

EDIT.

I hadn't realised B was the first one to be shipped, for some reason i always had it in my head, that A was first. So happier now. :)

Model A was supposed to be €20

Model B - €25.

I ordered B.. Agghh.. Before i realised it was B, just saw the price difference, now i can't get back into the site.

All the fun of being an early adopter I'm afraid. RS were saying €27.43 on their pre-order page, who knows what their final price will be? The end of the week should be fun.

They're only offering Model B's at the start anyways.

What anybody is actually going to do with a computer without a NIC in this day-in-age, I don't know.

What anybody is actually going to do with a computer without a NIC in this day-in-age, I don't know.

Assuming that you could hook up a powered USB hub to a Model A, would there be any USB-based wifi or ethernet cards that would be ARM-Linux compatible?

The model B has an ethernet port on board.

A nano usb wifi receiver is another option.

waveform wrote: »
    The model B has an ethernet port on board.

A nano usb wifi receiver is another option.
    I'm talking about the Model A.
    Adding a USB device just consumes another USB port when you can save one and just go for the Model B in the first place.

Ooops, thought it was your first post in the thread.

It seems to have changed in price on Farnell - Now wishing i had ordered more then 1..

10o2q91.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Add one to it? I'll definitely be going with the model A, now that it's up to 256MB of RAM. I was going to be using the model B with a USB wifi dongle anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Think I will probably go with a Model A now too when they are out next time. Or maybe one of both.

Using a model A would mean I could add a gigibit USB ethernet port. Considering that the maximum theoretical throughput of USB 2.0 is 480Mbps and the maximum actual data transfer speeds I have ever had on my own gigibit network is about 240Mbps (Close to server hdd I/O limits) it would work perfectly in theory. Not sure how much use it would be as a file server w/ext disks though if the thing would be using a single USB controller for both the disks and network but we shall see I guess..

Didn't bother trying to get one this morning, don't have time at the moment with college so better to wait until after the exams when there has already been people creating cool stuff for a month or two.

Advertisement