Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I can see where your coming from TheDoc but my main issue is the fact that pricing on the site was all over the place leading to some confusion.

My other issue is that despite the fact I ordered before many on here yet didn't receive a shipping date whilst they did. Now I don't begrudge them anything, I'm just curious as to why this is the case and if it is in anyway related to the fluctuating price and I'm hoping Farnell can clarify this for me.

Besides, I got it a bit cheaper than others, so it's not a bad trade off considering the longer shipping times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

+1

All i want is a shipping date, or some sort of confirmation, if not at least, to put me out of my misery..

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I think I've figured out the difference in pricing.
    There are actually two separate products. The first one (the cheap one) is here: http://ie.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=2081347

The second one is here: http://ie.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/raspbrry-pcba/sbc-raspberry-pi-model-b/dp/2081185

Notice that the cheaper one says "chipset". What that means exactly I don't know. I presume (and hope!) it's not the chipset from the board on it's own.

As far as I can tell the people who ordered the cheaper one, including myself, have received no delivery date. I think it may be a placeholder product which for some reason is still live. To be honest I'd be very surprised if we ever receive it.

I'll try to get in touch with Farnell and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

TheDoc wrote: »
    I dont see what the tears is about, I think its typical Irish ( netflix coming to mind) completely misunderstanding the situation.

That's complete bull tbh. The frustration with the issues on farnell was felt globally, it's pretty stupid and discriminative to say it was a typical Irish thing.

The biggest criticism is how they announced a good few hours later "Oh, we will not be shipping outside the UK btw".

When they should have implemented a country filter in the ordering process....
    If you select a location other than the United Kingdom, you will not be able to proceed with the order. Simple.

The price fluctuations were annoying too along with the lack of knowing where you stood.

A mass e-mail should have been sent to the people who did not secure the batch of the 5000 (including those that did, but live outside the UK).

I don't think there's any gripes with how the Rpi team have licensed farnell and RS to manufacture the boards,
    it's just the ordering problems on Farnell are what people are annoyed with, and extremely valid complaints have been made.

I'm pretty sure RS will do a better job when they launch their initial batch,
    they were very clever in deciding to wait until the stock is in their hands,
    and avoid throwing the device on their system impulsively like Farnell have done.

They can now put some thought into it and streamline it, especially after noticing the mistakes made by Farnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I received the below mail from Farnell yesterday evening even though I have an order already processed with an expected delivery on the 24/04 iirc
    PRE-ORDER NOW OPEN JUST FOR YOU
    Thanks for your patience

Dear theteal,

A warm welcome from all of us at Farnell element14. We are still catching our breath after the incredible demand that we experienced with the launch of Raspberry Pi on February 29. Thank you for being patient as we work to handle the queue.

Our goal is to make the order process as fair as possible. So we are opening the ordering window in batches based on when you registered your interest. At this time we will continue to limit orders to 1 per person, to ensure the products get into the right hands.

Once you place your order, the product will be shipped in the sequence that purchases are received. We are working very closely with the Raspberry Pi Foundation to bring the Pi to the world as quickly as possible. As you can imagine, they too have been overwhelmed with the response.

Don't waste a moment though, make sure you are one of the first people to get a Raspberry Pi!

anyway I thought it was funny with the whole "just for you" spiel and my interest got the better of me so I clicked through the link. It's allowing me to order another one but once again we a have a different price (see attachment) - it's cheaper than my original order. Is the dollar that volatile?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

TheDoc wrote: »
    Nowhere did it state that these were already made and ready to go, it was the polar opposite. They were waiting to see demand, and now they have it.

It said it on raspberrypi.org. They had sourced a manufacturer in China, had placed an order for the initial 10K, that order was complete and they were ready to ship them from China last weekend.

It's clear from your post that hadn't been reading what they've been saying on raspberrypi.org or why people were disappointed. As someone else already pointed out, there was nothing typically Irish about being cranky about being dragged out of the scratcher for a farce.

The only thing I'm glad about is that they were actually limiting people to 1 per order, despite it not looking that way initially.

My "Line Status" has been moved to back order, which according to their
    definition means "This item is on back order and will be despatched when stock is available."

I hope this means that i will get one from the next batch.

Out of Curiosity, has anyone received one yet?

I forgot to post my favourite reply made by Eben I think? on twitter during the day of the launch....

@Raspberry Pi Today looks like a bit of a car crash for @Raspberry_Pi or is any PR good PR? One thing Apple do get right is the “buy it now” release day.

@gingerbeardman Apple has a market cap of $500bn. We have Liz's collection of fridge magnets and a few coins down the back of the sofa.

Thought it was absolutely hilarious.
    Apple whores! You just have to laugh at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Got the mail from Farnell this afternoon and pre-ordered, free t-shirt aswell. I will be very surprised if I recieve this before April.

So what is the total price for one unit that people have managed to pre-order the Model B for?

Mine still stands at €39.20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Got the mail from Farnell this afternoon and pre-ordered, free t-shirt aswell. I will be very surprised if I recieve this before April.

Free t-shirts? :confused:
    waveform wrote: »
    So what is the total price for one unit that people have managed to pre-order the Model B for?

Mine still stands at €39.20

I logged in and checked out my account. It's €39.20 for me too.

I sent them a very politely worded email, inquiring about my order. (Not asking when it's going to arrive, when will it be dispatched etc..)

Just asking what's the story with my order. As i haven't received anything from them to tell me either way. No date, no pre-order confirmation etc. Just acknowledgment (From them) that i ordered it early that morning.

They repled.
    Thank you for your email,

We endeavour to process your email within the timescales shown below:
    o Orders received before 6pm processed same day
    o Quotes within 24 hours
    o All other enquiries within 48 hours.

If you wish to place an order, you can do so on our quick and easy to use website: http://www.farnell.com/ie, or you may be able to find the answer to your question in our Services and Help section.

Our industry leading website also hosts a range of pricing promotions and competitions on our Special Offers pages. You can also visit our new online community at www.element-14.com to engage with like minded engineers and industry experts around the world.

For account holders, our trained engineers can be contacted online using Live Technical Chat. Click here to get answers immediately.

Alternatively, if your query is urgent please call 1800 936 198 to speak to one of our trained advisors who will be happy to assist you.

Yours Sincerely

Farnell Ireland Team

As helpful as ___________

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Just pre ordered one of these for €39.20. Absolutely no need for it, but I'm sure I'll come up with something!!

Not sure how its gone from $35 to €39.20? Is this an Irish VAT thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

nulabert wrote: »
    Just pre ordered one of these for €39.20. Absolutely no need for it, but I'm sure I'll come up with something!!

Not sure how its gone from $35 to €39.20? Is this an Irish VAT thing?

Delivery charges. The $35 was always going to be a farce when the delivery charges were added. €14 delivery is a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Free t-shirts? :confused:

Yep, probably be in bits after one wash but free is free!

mihwgm.jpg

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Yep, probably be in bits after one wash but free is free!

mihwgm.jpg

I sent them an email about that, their contact form webpage wasn't working for me.

I got an email from RS about the expression of interest just about now, it said that they would follow up with info in the order people registered their interest. I don't think I'll bother cancelling the Farnell order and going with RS, I guess I'm happy to have a place in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Well having been disappointed to not get the promised alert email from RPi HQ, I registered with both RadioSpares (showing my age there I suspect) and Farnell. Pleasantly surprised to get the offer today from Farnell/Element14 so they get my €39.20! (and I get a naffish round-necked Tshirt)

We've got a project in mind at the mo that was going to use an old laptop with a broken screen - we were going to strip out the unnecessary bits (screeen, DVD, hard disk, WiFi....) - and stick on LinuxMint or something even leaner. Now I reckon we could use the RPi if we get it by Easter - and end up with something even easier to house, and to power, than the old laptop.
    Haven't been this excited since the old Sinclair programmable calculator kit, the Spectrum, the Imsai 8800, the Z80 BigBoard and the Cromemco days. Yippee! Programming on bare metal again (well almost).:D:D

I'll have to remember to scrounge up a power supply for this, the Model B needs a 5VDC @ 700 mA micro-USB charger to power it. I'll have to see if I can get an old Android phone charger that'll do this, I have a Huawei one but it only supplies 400 mA.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/260

Got an e-mail from RS just confirming my registration for the Raspberry Pi earlier.

So best to check your e-mails.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Well having been disappointed to not get the promised alert email from RPi HQ, I registered with both RadioSpares (showing my age there I suspect) and Farnell. Pleasantly surprised to get the offer today from Farnell/Element14 so they get my €39.20! (and I get a naffish round-necked Tshirt)

We've got a project in mind at the mo that was going to use an old laptop with a broken screen - we were going to strip out the unnecessary bits (screeen, DVD, hard disk, WiFi....) - and stick on LinuxMint or something even leaner. Now I reckon we could use the RPi if we get it by Easter - and end up with something even easier to house, and to power, than the old laptop.
    Haven't been this excited since the old Sinclair programmable calculator kit, the Spectrum, the Imsai 8800, the Z80 BigBoard and the Cromemco days. Yippee! Programming on bare metal again (well almost).:D:D

There might be a RISC OS port too. I've never used it before, it will be interesting to run it.

http://riscos.blog.com/2012/02/28/the-raspberry-pi-has-arrived/
    The Raspberry Pi Foundation launched their much anticipated Raspberry Pi computer at 6am (UK-time) this morning.
    Read more at source.....

• Advertisement

Have to admit I had kinda thought RISC OS would be rubbish, but if they have mplayer it's worth a lash. :) If nothing else, it's good for a bit of flutin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

so wait...i just heard of this 5 mins ago...

is this a computer for €25-35?

it needs a monitor, and an old android charger, a mouse and a keyboard...and boom..computer?

this all sounds too good to be true...whats the catch?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

eldwaro wrote: »
    so wait...i just heard of this 5 mins ago...

is this a computer for €25-35?

it needs a monitor, and an old android charger, a mouse and a keyboard...and boom..computer?

this all sounds too good to be true...whats the catch?

That's pretty much it. It's not going to be anywhere near as fast as a standard computer, but this thing is tiny and will fit anywhere. Can't wait to get mine, haven't placed any pre orders just yet though...although I have gotten those emails with links to the pre order for element 14.

That's pretty much it. It's not going to be anywhere near as fast as a standard computer, but this thing is tiny and will fit anywhere. Can't wait to get mine, haven't placed any pre orders just yet though...although I have gotten those emails with links to the pre order for element 14.

like i know its aimed at kids...and i dont wanna come over the top here...

but this is world changing! like slap one on the back of the telly and boom...

every tv in ireland should have one on it! your harddrive completely portable..

what a fantastic idea...like i dont really have a use for one...but if i get the money together ill get one to support the cause...

looking at the schematics...my mind is actually blown at how far its come.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

eldwaro wrote: »
    like i know its aimed at kids...and i dont wanna come over the top here...

but this is world changing! like slap one on the back of the telly and boom...

every tv in ireland should have one on it! your harddrive completely portable..

what a fantastic idea...like i dont really have a use for one...but if i get the money together ill get one to support the cause...

looking at the schematics...my mind is actually blown at how far its come.

Well the inventors intended it to be for schools, but you'll be able to do so much with them! I'll probably buy a couple of them! I'll have one attached to my tv for definite. And i'll have to come up with something cool to use the rest of them for. It'll be nice to have an always on, cheap, fanless computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

So there's no power supply with this? I guess for e35 you can't complain.

Will there some type of enclosure for it?

I just registered with RS this morning and just got an email for the pre-order. Supplier lead-time 58 days :)

AntiRip wrote: »
    So there's no power supply with this? I guess for e35 you can't complain.

Will there some type of enclosure for it?

I just registered with RS this morning and just got an email for the pre-order. Supplier lead-time 58 days :)

I posted this link earlier, but here it is: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/260

You'll need a micro-USB phone charger that supplies 5V and at least 700 mA. The first run won't have cases but the fun comes in making your own!

EDIT: Any holes you see in the board aren't suitable for screws apparently. Read more here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/projects-and-collaboration-general/concept-for-a-case

Just received an apology e-mail from Eben of the Pi Team, for not being notified from the mailing list on the day of launch.

Anyone else on the mailing list should have it arrive soon too.

Thought it was a nice gesture.

I seriously cannot wait until there's a high number of these boards in peoples hands, and witnessing the amazing projects that will result of this.

The future certainly looks bright, it shouldn't be too long coming!

im probably gonna hold off until a few people get them...just to see what the story is...

i know tis cheap..but im a student all the same. i like how this is a non profit thing too...hope somewhere some fat cats are raging :P

• Advertisement

AntiRip wrote: »

Hmmm. I registered with RS on the morning of the mayhem more or less as soon as their site came back up after being hammered initially. I got a mail that says:
    Dear Customer

Thank you for joining the Raspberry Pi revolution and registering your interest in Raspberry Pi’s Model B board from RS Components.

We have received extraordinary levels of demand for this product. To help ensure as many people as possible can experience the Raspberry Pi concept, we are limiting boards to one per customer, and we will send you further information on your request in the next seven days. Once we receive the boards into stock, they will be allocated on a first-come first-serve basis, in order of when requests were received.

Thank you for your patience; we will be in touch as soon as possible with more details.

I wonder if that means I was lucky enough to be in the first 5000.

Also, I wondered for a split second if that was copyrighted when copy / pasting it. Damn you and your silly law, Sherlock.

Advertisement