Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

A comment with "rly" in it and "chickity china land" isn't worth replying to really.

It just means 1 less bogie in my airspace during the "scramble" on launch day. ;)

I've been playing Ace Combat 5 too much today. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just bought an SD card reader (from DX) for the potential Raspi. Only €2 delivered :D

Oh, and a mini blowtorch for a bit of fun.

On topic, I really hope this thing isn't going to require programming it and delving into file systems and Linux commands to make it work reasonably well. Apologies for my ignorance of Linux based OSes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Confab wrote: »
    Just bought an SD card reader (from DX) for the potential Raspi. Only €2 delivered :D

Oh, and a mini blowtorch for a bit of fun.

On topic, I really hope this thing isn't going to require programming it and delving into file systems and Linux commands to make it work reasonably well. Apologies for my ignorance of Linux based OSes.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/645

They've put up a basic distro based on Debian 6 Squeeze, but according to the article a Fedora distro will be their standard distro for the device. There should be plenty of other distros once people get familiar with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/645

They've put up a basic distro based on Debian 6 Squeeze, but according to the article a Fedora distro will be their standard distro for the device. There should be plenty of other distros once people get familiar with it though.

Thanks, dual booted with Win 7 and Fedora over the weekend, very different to Windows but interesting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There's a bit of a learning curve alright, but once you get over it there really is no going back. I've been Linux only for about 6 years now. I'm hoping that the pi will get more people aboard the linux train (although such low end hardware may have the opposite effect).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Khannie wrote: »
    There's a bit of a learning curve alright, but once you get over it there really is no going back. I've been Linux only for about 6 years now. I'm hoping that the pi will get more people aboard the linux train (although such low end hardware may have the opposite effect).

I'd love to be linux only. Certain engineering programs and games are holding me back. Nothing I can do about that unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

BOOM!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056556533

Full PC for under €50, yes please

I was actually looking at a different Logitech keyboard today which also comes with the free mouse and free shipping, and was going to post the offer on here after I bought it!

I better hurry up and buy now as the feckin thing will be sold out quickly thanks to that bloody thread! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

keyboard came up out of stock but it let me order so *fingers crossed* I just have to wait...

Edit: Read my post further down the thread to get 13 euro off.

Right!

I've just ordered the Logitech K400 Keyboard which is twice the price @ €40.00 delivered,
    but it has a touch pad which is essential for me as I plan to use it on the couch.

I already have an a4tech wireless keyboard and mouse, but using the mouse on your lap is an absolute pain.

You also get the free wireless mouse with the K400.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    keyboard came up out of stock but it let me order so *fingers crossed* I just have to wait...

At what stage did it come up as out of stock?

I put the K230 into the basket and it's appearing in stock for me.

There was a user in the Bargain thread who thought it was out of stock also,

but when he tried it again it was in stock.

waveform wrote: »
    At what stage did it come up as out of stock?

I put the K230 into the basket and it's appearing in stock for me.

There was a user in the Bargain thread who thought it was out of stock also,

but when he tried it again it was in stock.

I think it was actually around 10.40 It went through fine so if it is actually in stock and they're really willing to ship this stuff for 20 quid im sure Ill be ok.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I think it was actually around 10.40 It went through fine so if it is actually in stock and they're really willing to ship this stuff for 20 quid im sure Ill be ok.

lol!

You must be thinking it sounds too good to be true!

They have free shipping over 20 quid advertised at the bottom of the site, so we'll be fine i'd say! Happy days.

Sickened. I could have added 2 discounts to the K400 to get it for €27 delivered instead.

You can get a 20% off code e-mailed to you when you register a product on this page:

http://register.logitech.com/logitechreg/index.cgi?lang=en

Pretty sure you don't have to own a product to register one.

You can also get another 15% off by entering this code also:
    LOGITECH15OFF

40 euro is still a bargain but some how I still feel a bit pissed off! ;)

Sickened. I could have added 2 discounts to the K400 to get it for €27 delivered instead.

You can get a 20% off code e-mailed to you when you register a product on this page:

http://register.logitech.com/logitechreg/index.cgi?lang=en

Pretty sure you don't have to own a product to register one.

You can also get another 15% off by entering this code also:
    LOGITECH15OFF

40 euro is still a bargain but some how I still feel a bit pissed off! ;)

Just did this :) 47 euro and Im getting 2 wireless keyboards and 2 mice. Excellent.... Might sell the cheap one now... Help towards a pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

nearly there...

Ladies and gentlemen, set your alarms!
    Posted on February 27, 2012 by eben

The Raspberry Pi Foundation will be making a big (and very positive) announcement that just might interest you at 0600h GMT on Wednesday 29 February 2012. Come to www.raspberrypi.org to find out what’s going on.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/716

duffman85 wrote: »

Thanks so much for posting that, my website scanner failed to kick in, and the database seems to be down on their site! Possibly due to overloading!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

duffman85 wrote: »

so is that 6 am our time or what time will it be tomorrow

massy086 wrote: »
    so is that 6 am our time or what time will it be tomorrow

Yep, 6 a.m GMT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd get one of these if I had a definite project for one, but all I can think of is a media player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

matrim wrote: »
    I'd get one of these if I had a definite project for one, but all I can think of is a media player.

Same here.

One use i was thinking of, to install it in a car as all-in-one device for 3G internet, music box and navigator. Have to research more if this thingy could handle all this..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

freestyla wrote: »
    Same here.

One use i was thinking of, to install it in a car as all-in-one device for 3G internet, music box and navigator. Have to research more if this thingy could handle all this..

I've thought about something similar but you could probably get a second hand Android device for cheap that would do similar with build in GPS and 3G

Most of my ideas seem to end up needing a touch screen, which when you look at the cost of adding it you are better off with a low end phone / tablet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What a pain in the face though. 6am! COME ON!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

matrim wrote: »
    I've thought about something similar but you could probably get a second hand Android device for cheap that would do similar with build in GPS and 3G

Most of my ideas seem to end up needing a touch screen, which when you look at the cost of adding it you are better off with a low end phone / tablet.

Yeah touch screen cost some money aye.
    I was looking for such Android tablet but couldn't find any fair priced (=up to €150-200) with 3G built-in.. unless pay few hundreds euros for Samsung and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've just ordered the Logitech K400 Keyboard which is twice the price @ €40.00 delivered,
    but it has a touch pad which is essential for me as I plan to use it on the couch.
    It'd be mad if someone put the Raspberry PI, a 16GB SD card, and a wireless card into the K400 keyboard...

the_syco wrote: »
    It'd be mad if someone put the Raspberry PI, a 16GB SD card, and a wireless card into the K400 keyboard...

And some kind of wireless video hdmi signal also!

The feckin store and main website is down for me, anyone else having luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Will Probably come online at 05:59am.. :D;)

Good luck. ;):D

Somethings happening with .org site now..

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

try this link to buy http://ie.farnell.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Got to the final stage of ordering and got errors :mad:

• Advertisement

Tockman wrote: »
    try this link to buy http://ie.farnell.com/

How did you find out about that?

I'd say they won't have them in stock for a long time, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd batch.

Lol, even the farnell site is not responding at times.

Advertisement