Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hey guys, is it possible to install xbmc on the same card as the Linux distribution or is it better to use separate SD cards?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You can dual boot no problem. You would choose which one you want at boot time.

XBMC is also running on linux, just for clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

look for berryboot, it'll allow you to install a bunch of OS's onto the same SD card for your Pi.

Thanks guys. I found this guide online

http://www.memetic.org/pre-compiled-xbmc-for-raspbian/

I eventually got everything installed but when I run xbmc the logo comes up and the bubble wallpaper but the it crashes back to the terminal.

Segmentation error?

Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Youre probably better off using raspbmc and a seperate straight linux distro for it

• Advertisement

Meesared wrote: »
    Youre probably better off using raspbmc and a seperate straight linux distro for it

When you say separate straight Linux distro, do you mean something other than raspbian?

No Raspbian would be a plain Linux distro

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2180
    I'm happy I held off buying my one a few weeks ago.

Very nice little upgrade there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Didn't realise there was an upgrade happening, but had been musing the idea of ordering one over the weekend. Placed the order today with newit.co.uk so just have to wait now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

If you have an outstanding order with either distributor, you will receive the upgraded device in place of the 256MB version you ordered.

Sooouund :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got an email to say it's been shipped and giving me the TNT tracking number. I thought these things were hard to get hold of. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Fairly tempted to buy the new model, use it for a retro machine as the extra ram across the board should help with the likes of SF2, MK etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Using xbian 8.2.... having trouble with add ons.

Is it something I'm doing wrong... I'm trying to install add ons from a zip file

http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-vodie/downloads/detail?name=plugin.video.vodie-1.1.3.zip&can=2&q=

and

http://nibor-xbmc-repo.googlecode.com/files/repository.nibor.zip

one is an add on to watch Irish tv stations (rte player and stuff too) and the other is a repository. Nothing happens, I select a file from my usb (in the addons, "install from zip") Nothing installs and there's new new add ons or repository added.

Want to watch 4od the Irish vodie and dailymotion videos. Anybody have similar issues installing from zip?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Hi All,
    I'm interested in getting a raspberry PI for myself very soon does anyone know where there selling just the basic PI, even without the upgrade?

Martin

Theyre both the same price, so you might aswell get the updated one

Mine just arrived, less than 24 hours since ordering.

New toy to play with this evening.

Well that was surprisingly simple to get setup with the berryboot. Got the media player setup and running and iplayer* etc going no problems and running my android as a remote control for it. Will have to try and do something more constructive with it next.

* On a UK IP before anyone gets carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Meesared wrote: »
    Theyre both the same price, so you might aswell get the updated one

Where did you order from :eek:
    I was under the impression that if I ordered today I might have it for Christmas.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Where did you order from :eek:
    I was under the impression that if I ordered today I might have it for Christmas.
    I ordered mine from RS months back

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Well that was surprisingly simple to get setup with the berryboot. Got the media player setup and running and iplayer* etc going no problems and running my android as a remote control for it. Will have to try and do something more constructive with it next.

* On a UK IP before anyone gets carried away.

What OS are you using? I'm using Xbian and finding it difficult to add extra repositories or add ons via zip files.... yours seemed to work fine from reading this post....

I selected the Openlec(?) once I realised what it was that the BerryBoot was offering me.

Took me a couple of attempts to be able to get it to do the add-on via zip files. First problem was that I was trying to use a USB hard drive which it wouldn't recognise, then when I did find a USB memory stick it still wouldn't install the add-ons for a bit. Then I realised that I had a video paused in the background, exited out of that and it then ran the install from zip fine.
    It found my WD network drive perfectly fine and will play video or music from the shared folders on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Mine just arrived, less than 24 hours since ordering.

New toy to play with this evening.

Where did your order yours from? Radionics say 6 weeks for delivery and farnell say 3.

justryan wrote: »
    Where did your order yours from? Radionics say 6 weeks for delivery and farnell say 3.

http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=26

This was delivery to the UK, but they do seem to take international orders.

http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=26

This was delivery to the UK, but they do seem to take international orders.

Great thanks for the link

Bought one from New IT I'm a sucker for new gadgets, what are you guys using them for?

I was thinking about an xbmc/torrent client set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Has anyone received their Rasberry Pi from RSS? Got the shipment notification and want to know when to expect it!

I got mine from RS. Think it was 2 or 3 days. Thereabouts.

I selected the Openlec(?) once I realised what it was that the BerryBoot was offering me.

Took me a couple of attempts to be able to get it to do the add-on via zip files. First problem was that I was trying to use a USB hard drive which it wouldn't recognise, then when I did find a USB memory stick it still wouldn't install the add-ons for a bit. Then I realised that I had a video paused in the background, exited out of that and it then ran the install from zip fine.
    It found my WD network drive perfectly fine and will play video or music from the shared folders on there.

Yeah openelcec got me the 4od working fine, couldn't add the zip files from the network drive they had to be on usb for some reason. Well impressed with 4od

The VODie is currently not being updated by the orginal writer but somebody is helping to debug with updates here https://github.com/liamf/VODieR

Does anybody know how I can apply his updates? do I replace files manually in the directory or can I add this repository? How would I turn this into a zip file to add?

Currently all the rte2 programs seem to be missing from rte player, tv3 won't open and none of the rte player files played! An lar is working which is about all!

Anybody else have issues installing other repositories or add ons on Xbian?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Advertisement